FLM 2006 Sub 4 hours

Comments

• Yes, we are on week 1. It is the same schedule as the email, except the full schedule gives you the time guidelines, whereas the email doesnt. So a 10 min mile for 'slow' is actually fine...you'll have to re programme your Garmin!
    Vicky

• Message for Garf,

Yes I am a member of Thrift Green Trotters and normally run in C2 or D1 groups - i.e. 8 minute miles.

Try and run with us tomorrow night since about 5 or 6 in the group are running FLM and are all looking at 4 hours.

HT
  • TG Trotter, thanks for coming back!
    I will come and speak to you tomorrow, but I think I will struggle to keep up that pace for any prolonged distance at the moment to be honest. Normally run with Keith and the 9 min mile group but might have ago, depending how far you are going. I ran London last year as a new runner and trained on my own with a 105 day programme and done 4.17 so was hoping to duck in under 4 this year so the extra push maybe a good idea anyway.

Garf

• Garf,

Rogers Stevens is the new leader of E2 and his group will run at a constant 8.30 minute per mile. Try that first if you want to ease yourself in. I am normally at the back of the group anyway.

Anyway I will look out for you tomorrow so that we at least have a chat.

Best wishes,

HT & TG Trotter ( different identity home and work)
  • PhilC...
    "Sensation!" - Bl**dy hell that stretch was agony to start with but it seems to be getting to the level needed. I shall persevere - Thanks for the advice.

Glucosamine dosage, it seems like 1500mg per day is the norm. I had better up the dosage then...

Stace.
    :o)
  • Hi
    I'm doing the marathon for the first time but haven't managed to start my training have a viral infection and hacking cough so feel low have tried to continue running but have been told in no uncertain terms this morning by the doctor not to do the planned 1/2 marathon next weekend!

Anyone any suggestions other than rest of how to shift this flaming cough and get back to training in super quick time like yesturday?
  • TJD you do have to get well before you can
    continue training. If you try too hard too
    soon you will only make things worse and have
    a longer layoff . . .

sorry - no magic wand here :-((

• Thanks nat nif :-((((((((((( was just hoping! Am frustrated at it all and feel i'm gonna mess up the marathon now too if I can't train! Guess just need to rest
  • TJD

A couple of years ago I did the Luton Marathon on on 12 weeks training and 1 20 miler, after a very bad summer!cold, that left me tired and weak for quite a few weeks. Start slowly when you start training listen to your body. It is possible although you may have to alter your target time.. I am sure RW published a 6 week training schedule to get you round either last year or the year before. Might be worth a look on the website.
  • WaboWabo ✭✭✭
    tjd, I know its frustrating, but if you do the right thing now, and look after yourself up to flm, you will be fine. Honest.
    possunt quia posse videntur - we can because we know we can 
  • Thanks for the encouragement folks I will listen to the advice and rest and pull out of brass monkey next week as the doc said :-( FLM is my life long ambition so need to get better
  • TCPTCP ✭✭✭
    I'm in a similar boat to you TJD. After 3 great weeks of training I have this bleedin' groin strain. I really really want to run and its not a bad enough strain to prevent me from running but know I have to give it a while to heal completely. Better a week missed now than 3 weeks missed in February.
  • TJD

As you start to feel better and if you are up to it, start walking and pick up the pace that way.

Best of luck and to Chelsea Plodder, keep in touch.
  • Stace.
    I'm glad that hit the spot! I love a good stretch.

• Message for Garf Lee,

Did not see you last night. I ran with Steve Birket's C2 Group - 14 of us last night. What did you do?

Let us try and speak at Courage Hall on Sunday morning before the groups go out at 10.00 a.m.

HT / TGT
  • Morning! I ran with E2, Roger, Brian & co, it was good, thanks for encouraging me to step up as I really enjoyed it. We had about the same number in the group and done just over 6 miles in 52 mins with some in line running up hills. Yes I will try and find you Sunday, I must admit I was trying to do some detective work last night to find out who you were so I could introduce myself!

Cheers
    Garf

• Hello Garf,

My name is Gerald. See if you can click on my message to email me and I will reply directly to you so that we can meet on Sunday.

Best wishes,

Gerald
  • Many thanks for your advice 'fishy web' re Healthspan. Apart from buying glucosamines I also saw an article about bromaline which helps to heal injuries to muslces and tendons. I'm recovering from a strained knee ligament having turned my ankle on a night run pre-Christmas. Ankle fine, knee not.

Started the sub 4 hour RW plan this week. For once, I'm glad the word 'slow' is used a lot, as I'm feeling my way a bit with the knee.

Any runners in the Cobham, Surrey area that want company occasionally, just let me know. London will be my 3rd marathon having done New York last 2 years. Hoping the flat course will get me under 4 hours.

Good luck and injury free training
  • TCPTCP ✭✭✭
    RR - Wow, just looked at the Bromelain thing and it explains a lot. A friend of my Dads is a hardened runner and has completed countless marathons and other events, is 65 and is hardly ever injured. He says that part of his secret is Pineapple. He eats it every day for breakfast.

Accoring to Healthspan, "Bromelain is an enzyme extracted from the stem of the pineapple plant". Looks like the man was talking sense.
  • TCP - well I'm happy to play guinea pig and see whether the healing process with the aid of Bromelain speeds up my recovery.
  • Hi all

Finally decided to post on here as I'm in a quandry! Have got a Golden Bond place for the FLM. This is my first marathon and not sure what time to aim for. Sub 4 would be great. I did run the Windsor half a couple of years ago in 1.34 but then back trouble put me out for 18 months. Have started with mixing the sub3.45 and 4 hr progs on RW; the pace is fine but I ache! Any thoughts/advice from marathon vets would be much appreciated!

Thanks
    K
  • WaboWabo ✭✭✭
    Hi all.
    Seem to have almost got through week one, in spite of hip problem which is easing, and feeling quite happy!
    Katie, that's a brilliant half mara time, should be no problem for you! best I've ever done is 1.52 (1st 3 miles downhill helped)!
    possunt quia posse videntur - we can because we know we can 
  • Hi Wabo

Thanks for the encouragement; should point out that is my one and only half, hence the trepidation! Good luck with the hip; my problem is sore feet!

K
  • Kate

The only time I have been under 4hrs (3:56)for the marathon, I was nowhere near 1:34 for the half, so go for it.

Aches come with the territory I am afraid. I work on the theory that as long as it is an ache not a pain and there is no pain when I am running I am ok. Listen to your body. I do find a decent warm down streching session does reduce the aches especially after a long run. The ones I use have been in RW enough times and are on the website.

Regards

HB
  • Must agree with HB about warm down, My running partner and I did a half last weekend, I did a warm down for 10 mins, he got straight in his car and waent home.
    He hasnt run at all this week, I,ve done 20 miles and 14 coming up on Sunday.
    Kate that sure is a good time for a half, I know people with that sort of time and they have been nearer 3 hrs for the full.
    Is anybody thinking of doing a blog for their build up to London? seems a good way of letting people know how the training is going.
  • Thanks for all your comments; my aim is just to build my mileage steadily; who knows about the time. Would love to say that getting round will be enough but that isn't how I feel!

Will concentrate on the warm down; any tips for aching feet? Think it is just the increase in miles....

K
  • Tomb Raider

I wasn't going to blog but post mileage/times on this thread. For two reasons motivation and comparison of schedules. In the past I have stuck religiously to the RW schedule and for me that is not always best. So ideas tips from other people always helps. I tend to plan out the 15 weeks and then modify accordingly. I am not a member of a club because I spend a lot of time away from home, so threads like this are really useful.

Katie

For aching feet especially after a long run. Sit with them in a bowl of warm/hot water 5 to 10 mins and slowly curl your toes and release. After 10mins dry and massage gently with your thumb especially the underside. If you can get somebody else to do it all the better. If I remember correctly the massge action should travel up the foot.

Also check the cushioning on your shoes.

Regards

HB
  • Thanks HB; will try the massage/warm water approach. Any particularly reason why the RW schedules haven't always worked; mileage/rigidity?

K
  • Katie

I am really not sure why they have not worked. I just prefer listening to my body and making the schedules a bit more flexible. My wife says its my age - 51!

I think I mentioned earlier on in this thread that I run 4 days a week. Normally Tues (fast or hills or reps,Wed (Slow), Thur (tempo or marathon pace. Long run on Sat or Sun depending how I feel. Sometimes I have the two days without running after the long run especially the first 20. If the week is going well I may run Saturday (4 or 5 easy) then do a long run on Sunday.

It seems to work for me.

Regards

HB
  • Hi All,
    a little dissapointed today, has a chunky chap and only 5ft 8 you see i have a weekly weigh in as part of the approach to being in the shape needed to complete my first FLM and despite a balanced diet and running Sunday 10, Tues 3, Wed 4 and Thursday 3 - i have managed to actually gain 3lbs !!!!!!!

taking advice from this board of the Headbanger Kind and decided to have an extra days rest due to v.slight pain in left leg before a slow 11 hopefully on Sunday.

fingers crossed & good health to all.