Options

Tuesday session 14 Jan 2003

2»

Comments

• Options
    My (belated)congrats too, Simon!

MartinH is right, the snow's melting but unfortunately it means a lot of ice in my neck of the woods, so revised training tonight.

Planned: 18km run
    Actual: 50km bike ride on indoor trainer
    Last hard: Sunday
    Last rest: yesterday (enforced by snow conditions).
  • Options
    Evening all!

Well, the drugs are working and I actually felt really well today (jut a bit tired). Hoorah, back to training ... just need to be sensible about it (some chance)

We have snow, but not much. A lot of it melted yesterdy, but today it's -2 so has frozen into rutted ice. Went running today on the bridle tracks (usually not slipperly) at dusk, which was a bit spooky as i forgot that the last section isn't lit. Funny how bushes turn into knife wielding psychopaths in the dark. Ironwolf, I need your dogs!

What: a.m. 20 mins brisk
    p.m. 50 mins slow
    Why: Busy today, so ran when I could
  • Options
    PM (no am)

what: averagish 5 miler - too cold - too hot - unmotivated and rubbish - reasonable time, but i'm missing "umph".

may get up tomorrow and run -

why: i like deluding myself

last hard: who cares i've gone all stroppy with my running
  • Options
    HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    Did time trial and was absolutely dogged! Felt dreadful, legs like jelly. 20 secs slower than last month, but still a good effort. Total of 7 miles tonight, might have to have an extra rest day this week if I'm to be fresh for my long run at the weekend. Don't normally feel so tired after a race. I must have had to work harder than usual.
  • Options
    Glad you're better Lizzy, never realised these things could be so nasty.
    Hilly, have a rest, you've earned it! Massage sounds nice, maybe you worked your muscles harder on the ice?
    KK, new pic - tell me that shadow on your jaw isn't a beard now is it?
    Cheer up Achilles, I know you had a rest day yesterday but 90s recovery doesn't sound like very long!
    Night folks.
  • Options
    SOB
    SOB, grrrrrrrrrrrr
    Yried speedwork again
    On tready, 2% incline
    I km slow jog
    400 metres 10 kph(yes its fast) with 200 metres walk, times 6
    Then 200m at 11kph and 200 metres walk
    Times 3
    the 200m 11kph, and 300 metres walk
    Times 3
    Run/walk for 8 minutes
    Feel like death
  • Options
    Hippo

You did this last week as well.
    WHY WHY WHY are you doing speedwork on a 2% incline???
    You're making it too hard for yourself - set the incline to zero, & see how you do then. Maybe raise it later.
    As it is, what you're trying to do is more a speed/strength session, rather than a pure speed session.

Laura - are you pogonophobic? What's wrong with beards?

Think tonight's session was slightly overdoing it. Coach said I shouldn't do any hill reps, just a steady run - and sent me off on a new course for which I suspect he'd underestimated the distance (I reckon about 7½ miles, maybe a shade more).
    It still had one significant climb - and the into the wind bits were q hard work also. In the last 1 - 1½ miles, began to feel pretty weary, so backed off & just trotted back to the car. Took about 51:30.
    Need some quality rest now.
  • Options
    Mike
    Ive been told to do this to make it like outside
    And i have to do it on a tready, cos id cheat outside, I underestimate distance
  • Options
    Hippo - the 2% seems odd, common wisom suggests 1%.

As you're trying to introduce speedwork there's no reason why you would "cheat" outside. Simply try doing 1 minute fast 1 minute slow and as you improve fitness increase to perhaps 2 or 3 minutes fast with an equal length recovery. If you do that sort of informal speedwork you really will improve (thats what I did for many year). Don't get too caught up on exact distances - it simply doesn't matter.
  • Options
    Ta mate
    its that bloody FLM programme though
  • Options
    What; 10x 400reps with 200 jog recovery
    Why; determined to try harder for that elusive 3.15
    last hard; X-Country Sunday
    last rest; Saturday
  • Options
    hi hippo -

I know this is continuing a discussion from 24 hours ago but one of the factors you should account for is that you may well not be rested enough to get the best out of your speed sessions, especially given your exhausting work patterns. another reason why you shouldn't be giving yourself a hard time. you're doing them, which is great and you should feel good about that.

also, do you remember to hydrate properly? I find it's a really good idea to take 500ml of sports drink along to interval sessions and get it down regularly. it does make a difference.
  • Options
    Ahem, well im lucky if i take in 500 mls a day
    That is before thr gin though
    Ill consider myself slapped
    Absoultely SHATTERED today, must have tried hard
  • Options
    in the good old days gentlemen running the marathon would hydrate with the odd nip of brandy. and Julie Welch has a nice story in her 26.2 book, about someone seeing these guard's officers running the FLM a couple of years back who were met around the Tower of London mark by a butler with a silver salver bearing glasses of port - I can't remember now if they toasted the Queen before carrying on, but it seems to me like the right spirit (as it were).
  • Options
    Good idea Achilles
    Ill stick to gin then
    RIGHT, RUN
    (oh HOW I want today to be a rest day)