Coniston 14 1 April 06

Comments

• Obviously very popular - maybe that's why it's not listed on the RW website this year (well, I couldn't find it!!). Had thought about entering as my hubby's from Ulverston so lots of rellies to stay with, but looks like I've blown it!! Oh well - there's always next year!!
  • Just managed to scrape in I think, sure my cheque has been cashed. Looking forward to the weekend and a better paced race than last year's!
  • MinniMinni ✭✭✭
    I didn't get in this year. If anyone finds themself unable to run for any reason....
  • not advertised and perhaps i should not say but sometimes you ca get a number on the morning i have people who cannot run and have either sent there number back or rang the organiser if you go to the enquiry desk early you can get a number i went up with a friend couple of years ago no number but mangaed to get one
  • As webrunner said there are normally people taken numbers back on the day which the organisers will pass on.

On Sunday managed a 2h run and did over 30 miles for the week so I’m heading in the right direction. Entered the Great North West 1/2 Marathon on the 26th so I’ll see where I’m at with my training.

Just finished updating the NS webpage after the Alsager 5, which should tell you who i am. Are you doing the Stafford 1/2.
  • got you now mate not doing much running at the moment just hoping to get round this one 2-30 will do nicely.

have done the great north west good race

see you soon
  • me me me i'm in tis my third time.
    Can't remember my number tho.
    Can't wait.
    Hows training going.
    comfortably doing very hilly routes (i.e. all up and down....no flat) for 10m stepping down a bit this week as i don't want to peak to early.
    Doing liverpool half 2 weeks before so hoping to use that to get a good time guage and as final long run.
  • MinniMinni ✭✭✭
    Thanks for advice - I probably will go on the day and hope for the best. It's a race I love and will be part of my marathon training. I didn't manage it last year due to injury and passed my number on to someone else, so hoping I might be repaid this year!
  • Number (1395) arrived on Saturday. Looks like leaving the entry until after Christmas was cutting it finer than I thought. Hadn't realised until I reread the blurb that came out with the number that this is the 25th anniversary running. Wonder if that's why it filled up so fast?

<makes mental note to get in sooner for 2007>
  • Boing

Only a couple of weeks to go. How's preparations going? Anybody up for a pint in The Crown afterwards?

I'd been going pretty well up until this week when heavy snow on Sunday put paid to my weekend long run and a combination of lingering ice and long distance working completely stuffed my chances of getting out since. Should still be OK to get round - managed the Haweswater Half without too many traumas a couple of weeks back so I know I'm in reasonable shape - would just like to be able to run a bit quicker (as usual).
  • Training going very well at the moment. Did the great North West Half a few weeks ago and finished in 1:43 (Fastest time since 2000).

Stafford half this Sunday.

Cant wait for that pint afterwards (Be a bit strange though with no rugby to watch but with England playing so poorly that’s not a bad thing)

• MinniMinni ✭✭✭
    Hi, I'm still looking for an entry to this if anyone hears of someone having to withdraw due to illness...

• Training going well.
    Did 12.5 miles last weekend, doing liverpool half this weekend.
    Looking forward to it, hoping its going to be warmer than it is right now!
    Been injury/cold free for a while now....!
  • Think I might take you up on that pint CA, it'll be a step up from tea.
  • Yap yap - you know that the offer is there and that I owe you one anyway.

Good longish run yesterday, finishing uphill which I planned as preparation for the climb past Brantwood. Looking forward to this now its getting close.
  • How big are your pockets CA - there's a big field to buy those pints for..!

If you get to the bar ahead of me can I have a Bluebird please?

• I'll be there! looking forward to it have entered this race three times before and never actually made it for one reason or another but this time i'm determind.
  • Mushroom - make yourself known before I get to the bar and I'm sure we can work something out. I do actually owe Yapyap a pint since he gave me lift from Shap to the start ofthe Haweswater half the other week.

jo - hope you make it this time. We obviously missed you at Haweswater but would hope to meet you this time.

<Decides to stick neck out and suggest a pre-race meeting point>

The car park field at the school tends to get very busy as does the start area on the road outside. If you follow the road past the school and keep going for about a quarter mile, you reach the lake. There's a small car park (with public toilets and no queue!) down there along with some parked up boats and, I think, a small cafe. Jogging down there and back is a reasonable warm up - so maybe that would be a good place to identify each other. Half an hour before the start suit people?
  • Sold. To the man buying the beer. You going to wear your new NB's CA?
  • fellrunner - there is that risk but I doubt it'll be as bad as the school and if it does get bad there's plenty more places in Coniston to 'go' if necessary.

Yap yap - the new NBs are still in the box. Need to finish wearing out another pair (oldest of three in current use) before they find their way onto the shelf.

If anybody has better ideas for a meeting point, I'm quite happy to move elsewhere.

<Makes note to check on remortgage application>
  • Pint at The Crown afterwards sounds good to me. Would be good to put some faces to the names.
  • Driving over from York for the race. Anyone know what time I need to aim to arrive, and where's best to park?

Really looking forward to it, and don't want to miss the start !!
  • MinniMinni ✭✭✭
    As per previous posts - I'm going to travel down and pay the enquiry desk a visit early on. Does anyone know if it's worth giving the organisers a ring to see if they have had any cry-offs, or is this something they would not appreciate?

• Jonny - I usually aim to arrive about an hour before the start. Traffic isn't usually too bad at that time and gives you time to have a bit of a wander around the village. Easiset place to park is on the school playing field right by the start/finish - they'll charge you a few quid (but no more than you'd pay anywhere else in Coniston) - which is huge. It'll be signposted.

Minni - I don't know the organisers and don't have a contact number but wouldn't have thought that a polite call at a sociable hour would go amiss. Not sure if it was on this thread or another but best bet for getting organiser's number is probably to contact Pete Bland Sports (event sponsor) in Kendal.

Only five more days - time to start watching the weather forecast.
  • minni I have a number and cannot run due yo injury if you want you can have it
  • MinniMinni ✭✭✭
    Oh yes please! Will you send me an email and I will sort it out with you?

Great! (But sorry you're ill and will miss it).

Thanks!