FLM 2006: closer to 4:00 than 4:30

Anyone aiming for 4:15 or thereabouts for FLM 2006?

(Jumping to conclusions that I'm actually 'in' of course, but my cheque has been cashed and I didn't bequeath).

I've just done 4:24 in Budapest with a stinking cold and having only had about 3 hours sleep in the previous 48 hours due to coughing and feeling rough.

So - the plan is to get a bit closer to 4 hours this time, whilst not expecting to duck under.

Anyone fancy joining me?

Comments

• sure

ran 4 and half hours in 2003

so hopefully beat that
  • ooo, i thought it was just me on my own here.

did you follow a programme in 2003? i tried to do the RW sub 4 plan (thinking originally i would manage sub 4), but the long runs on a sunday wiped me out for the first half of the week, so i just got slower and slower as i couldn't keep up the 'speed' sessions.

this time i'm trying to keep the long-ish sunday runs going in the hope that my body won't object so much to the slight increase in the new year.
  • This is the group for me. 4:30 is the plan though it is my first marathon. I gotta get a plan sharpish!
  • well, that's 3 of us, then ;-)

shank - are you following the RW sub 4:30 plan?

it's a good idea to get your legs used to long runs gradually - building up each weekend by a mile or so. that was the killer for me. i'd done a few half marathons before i started my marathon training but they always left me sore for a few days afterwards. you need to get to the stage where you can run for 2+ hours and then not hurt the next day! i've gradually learnt to be able to do that but it's taken AGES, and it's not something i managed during my marathon training!
  • went out this morning longest run for a long time

6 miles in 52.31 which gives an estimated time of 4hrs 10mins

hopefully will get there with more training

Pete
  • Count me in. I ran 4.30 in 2004 & 5.
    Only 1 problem, i am recovering from a brain haemorrhage i had a month ago, so at the moment zero training but things can only get better from here on. Hopefully start training in January. Will keep you posted.
  • Hi guys,

Hope this is the right place for me.... I've just had my entry confirmed. Running for Diabetes UK. It will be my first marathon, but completed a half in October in 2.15 in the wake of flu. Hoping for 4.30 but always want to aim higher!
  • I'm in too!! Haven't done a marathon since 2001 (Disney) and had a time of 4:14. I'd love to get that or lower IF I got into Flora. When I did 2001 I had no real training schedule, I just ran. Now I'm in a runner's club complete with speed workouts and feeling faster already!! :)
  • i tend to run on my own as I works shifts which makes it difficult to train with a club even though I am a member
  • Yeah Caramel, I'm gonna stick to the RW 4.30 plan starting 1st of Jan. Til then I'm going to stick to 20 miles a week, 4 nights a weeks.

• Been away for a few days and come back to find there's a few more of us. Excellent!

Danno - hope you are getting better quickly. Doesn't sound ideal for running...

Shank - what's the longest run you are doing now?

Peter S - that's fair zippy. You should have no problems by next April!

Yellowdog - I think you might be in the wrong group!! ;-)

Rainbow Brite - I ran the Budapest mara with a horrible cold and it certainly doesn't give you a true indication of your potential (that's my excuse anyway!)
  • Hi CM,
    hmm, running with a cold must have held me back by 15 mins or so...
    It was my first so was really sure what to expect of myself!
    I'm training at the moment for a 10k on boxing day - trying to get my speed up a bit before concentrating on increasing distance in the New Year.
    With the exception of Danno, who I hope is recovering well?,what is everyone else doing at the moment? Will you be following the RW 4.30 schedule?
  • I'm slowly building up distance at this point. I have a 10 mile race this Wednesday and am taking it more as an endurance test rather than a time test. I'm hoping to find a good 1/2 marathon for late January and hope to participate in the Bury St. Edmunds 20 in February. In between all that I'll keep participating in shorter road races and cross country meets. I haven't set on a training schedule yet, but am currently doing about 25 a week including a speed/hill/interval session.
  • Yeah I'm gonna follow the 4.30, not going to start til the new year.

CM - The longest run I'm doing around now is 9 miles. I just want to tick over til January.
  • for those of you who haven't done marathons before, if you're anything like me, you'll find that speed goes straight out the window as soon as you start upping the mileage at the weekends. i'd plod around my sunday long run and then have monday off but still be sore in my legs on the tuesday and not up for the 'speed' session that was on my schedule...

i'm just plodding lots of slow miles at the moment, trying to keep it ticking over until the new year...
  • went out this morning, same route as last week

6 miles in 51-43 and it was cold and frosty

slowly getting there

from tomorrow training 4 times a week, more speedwork, and longer runs needed

Pete
  • 6 slow cold miles for me too. Feeling good at the mo!
  • Anyone else in here on there first marathon??
  • Ditto on the 6 miles. Also incredibly chilly - I'm in Sweden & the ice is setting in! I'll have to get some studded shoes soon...

This will be my first marathon, very excited!
  • Mmmmm Caramel Macchiato.......

• My first Marathon. So far have competed in one 10K (59.50), the Great South Run (1.31), have got a place on the Reading Half two weeks before the FLM. Currently running 6 miles in around 51.30 (though did do 7 in 53.26 last Sunday (fluke, blame the cold). Totally mistified by training schedules...when do people find the time? HELP
  • pete b - yes, it does take a lot of time up. especially when you're slow like me. mr caramel mac is a much better runner and does 70+ miles a week, but doesn't spend any longer running than i do because he is so much faster than me. it's just not fair!!
  • i was wondering if a time thread would appear that matched my aims

ran 4 hr 25 in 2004 in my one and only marathon and hope to be nearer the 4 hr mark this time

training at the moment consists of 2-3 runs a week each of around an hour so between 7 and 8 miles given my half marathon times

the plan is to begin to increase the sunday run by around a mile a week up to about 13-14 miles and then keep the hour runs with that - then around late jan/early feb go to 4-5 runs a week

begin to push the sunday run to 15 miles + before doing two 20 mile runs in march
  • 9 miles yesterday felt good.

Had my entry confirmed this morning as well.
    Number 7752
  • Congratulations Shank, still waiting to hear about my ballot place but definately running for diabetes anyway.

I've had some nasty shin splints over the last week, so had a few days off, bought a new pair of trainers and excessive icing & calf massages.
    6 miles today, things are looking a bit better....
  • Sorry to hear about those nasty shin splints RB.
    Now is a very good time to take it easy before the serious training begins. Lots of R.I.C.E.
  • hey cougs, looks like we'll get to meet up at last!
  • my number just arrived this morning.

was beginning to wonder whether i'd dreamt it all.

unfortunately running not going very well due to dodgy knee, which was coming on after about 7 miles but is now coming on after abouT 4-5. it's really odd. it's fine while i'm running, but as soon as i stop, it's agony, and then i can't bend my knee at all. a day or so later, and it's fine again.

spoke to physio and she was at a loss as to what it could be. doing a bit of resting for a while because it's fine then. if i go to see her now, chances are she won't find anything wrong...

but i need to sort it out before xmas or i will be in dire straights for the new year's training!