FLM 2006: closer to 4:00 than 4:30

Comments

• Nice one Gymbunny. Good to know you will be able to do it, just make sure you have some Brufen for when you are finished.

My six was steady and very enjoyable. All the talk was on what we are wearing, eating, drinking etc. and our travel arrangements. It makes it so real. I can hardly wait....
    DC
  • question for all you experienced FLM runners out there...is it actually possible for spectators to cross the course? I'm guessing it's not unless there are footbridges, subways etc....therefore, if your fanclub plans to be on the left hand side of the course at mile 17 (for example), they'll have to plan carefully which tube or DLR station to arrive at - some stations are "inside" the course, so to speak, and some are "outside". Is this a fair assumption, or am I making life to complicated for everyone?
  • NJ i also had a shoe query with a pair that i bought few weeks agos, was told by the shop owner (a very experienced runner) that i could wear the new ones, probably got slightly less than 50miles in them. I would go with the new ones, but also take the plasters with you. My previous new trainers also gave me a blister on heel & rubbed on top of foot on first run but fine after that.
    Gymbunny glad you are ok for the marathon.
    Didnt do efforts last night, went to aerobics to see some friends instead.
    Got weighed & checked from start of FLM training to find im 2lbs lighter now, so im impressed as i thought i would have put weight on during taper.
    Nice steady 4/5 tonight with some others then just gentle 2 on saturday.
    Wilde/ depth i should be at expo around 1pm as well.
    Got Friday off so will sort all packing then.
    Is it really only 4days 1hr 38mins?
    Getting slightly nervous/excited now.
  • gymbunny- glad you can run it, I had bad shin splints again last night so will be using Ibuprofen gel on my calfs.

If anyone is looking for someone to run with on Sunday I am going to try to run with the 9min group.
  • I put a 4.30 finish time on my application so I'll have to run in whatever wave I'm put...will this mean I'm in the 4.15 - 4.30 wave or the 4.30 and later one? Ideally I want to run with the 10 min mile pacer and see what I feel like later on.
  • good question Pete, I did not think of that and not sure what finishing time I put down. I might not be able to get up to the 9 min mile group. I understand you can move backwards but not forward on starting position.
  • Brent - me and hubbie are gonig to start with the 9 min group too and then just try to keep them in sight. I am not really expecing to make it all the way round at that pace but I do want to give myself a good start. I think I put 4:20 on my form but going from the last big race I did - I don't think they will be too strict. I hope that the 'pen' will be 4-4.30 which will give us all lots of leeway.
  • THis is on the official site:

At the start area line up in accordance with your expected finish time. Distinct areas for certain times such as sub 3.30, 4hrs to 4.30 etc will be marked. It will make everyone's life easier if you stick with this. There's nothing more frustrating for the quicker runners to be dodging people at the start and nothing more demoralising for the slower runners than being overtaken by hundreds of quicker runners! If in doubt go towards the back. It's much more fun overtaking than being overtaken!

So it sounds like we can go where we want - sort of.
  • morning all,

WR: Like I said yesterday - you've still got loads of time to recover. A throat infection isn't going to stop you - just keep munching the ice cream!

I'm still undecided if I wanna join a pacing group, I think i'm worried that I won't be able to keep up and be demoralised. That said, I know i've done some good training so I shouldn't worry..... the mind is evil!!

Aaaaarrrrrgggghhhhhhh

Perhaps I should join the 9m guys and drop back to the 9:30 / 10:00 if things turn ugly?

• Im going to try & tag on the 9min/mile pacers if i can get to them, i think i also put 4:30 on application, oh well go with the flow.
    On a side note ive just resigned from my job.
    Well 2006 must go down as a very different year for me, where the changes will end who knows.
  • I'd also like to start with the 9m/m pacers and drop back later if necessary. However, if I find myself in a good rhythm I'll just go it alone. Sometimes its better not to have to 'keep up' or 'slow down' but rather to suit what your body is saying at a given time. Having done all my training solo, I'm not used to tagging along anymore.

Keep up the gargles etc.... and banish those viruses.

Chukka, I'm continuously impressed with your upbeat and positive mindset. I wish you the best of luck with the new job and the best of luck with your new life too. Hope to get to shake your hand on sunday!!
  • just back from expo and have all my bits and pieces and quized 'runner's world' (very helpful) about pacers - having put 4.30 finish time on my entry I have been given a place in the 8th wave (or whatever)- the 10 minute mile pacer is at the front of wave 6. As soon as the start claxon goes off the tape dividing 7 & 8 will fall and I've been advised to wiggle my way through to the start of wave 7 from where I ought to be able to see the pacer at the front of 6...or just get into my usual rhythm and see if I catch up!
    Oh well, i'll know next time!
  • I'm sure you'll be able to catch up. Things will be slow in the beginning of the race anyway. I'm headed to the expo in half n hour.
  • blue pete what was the queue like for the numbers, chips etc?
  • db - you're right there, have a good time at the expo

pr - appeared very quiet and very well organised, brought a tear to my eye when i picked up my number...all that hard work etc. When going for your chip there are two lines of checkouts - one behind the other which is not very clear - so make sure you look beyond the first row. Lots of things to buy at good prices...bit late now though!
  • ok thanks - I'm going on Saturday morning so hopefully not too much of a wait
  • Is anyone going to be on the Matt Graham coach from Jury's Kensington on sunday morning?? Their minibus is collecting me from earls court at 06.30 and taking me to Jury's for transfer onto the coach.

Physio session in the morning. Sister arriving from Ireland, also in the morning, to take care of recovering husband in my absence, and then its zip up the bag and head to eurostar early Friday. Yippee!!

The weather is giving warm (16-18) and wet possibilities for sunday.
  • Watch out for this guy at Tower bridge!

<a href="http://sport.guardian.co.uk/news/story/0,,1756313,00.html">marathon priest</a>
  • ok don't know what happened there, and since this forum expects us all to be HTML experts (and i'm obviously not), copy and paste the address below into a browser, if you can be bothered...

http://sport.guardian.co.uk/news/story/0,,1756313,00.html
  • pompeyrunner...thanks for the heads up ! this is getting even more challenging
  • I was planning on taking over the lead position in Paula's absence, but if there's going to be a crazy priest attacking the leader maybe I'll hang back with the 9:00-9:30 pacers. :)

I'm resorting to icing my knee just about every hour and taking motrin along with my anti-cough pills! All will be better on Sunday!!
  • And some pearls of wisdom from Matthew Pinsent here - funny how the media thinks that rowers are also experts on running 26 miles (Cracknell et al). Most of what he says makes sense but I'm looking forward to seeing Matthew carrying 2 litres of his favourite drink round the course...

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,616-2112983.html
  • Shy Ted, I will be on the coach from Jury's Kensington.
    Sounds like most of us are aiming to start with 9min/mile pacer.
    Blue Pete-thats helpful to know about wiggling our way towards the pacers at start.
    Well with all extra obstacles like in your articles Pompeyrunner perhaps they should put an actual 10 foot wall at 20 miles for us all to climb over.
    Yellowdog, you dont want to be in the front, you would have to find you own way around the course, its going to much easier to follow about 20000 others, at least some of them should go the right way, thats my theory.
    3days 1hr 10mins & counting.....
    No work tomorrow, morning to pack my bag. Think im going to need a big bag.
  • afternoon all,

Went to the expo last night, and was painless, 5 minutes to get number and timing chip. Well organised. One thing i did notice, not that I think it applies to anyone here, is that the queue to have your name printed onto a shirt was very long (maybe 30 people deep), so if you're thinking about getting it done, be prepared for a loooong wait.

I ran a short 3 miler this morning just to use some energy - and now i'm waiting for Sunday

• Thanks for that doughball. I have got mine already done but my extremely pedantic hubbie doesn't like the font (!!!!!!!!!!!!!) and so was hoping for a better one at the expo. Needless to say I think he is hilarious and have bought him black fabric pens so that he can do it in Sylvaen if he so desires.

I had assumed to queue would be really long so can tell him so with a bit 'told you so'.

I am now getting so nervous I feel sick most of the time - which is totally ridiculous. Leg still hurts - bugger!
  • gymb: I know how you feel. It's even at the point now where I can't seen to concentrate on anything else. I'm supposed to be doing my work , but just can't get myself to do it.
    Think i'm also weary of what's going to happen to me from next Monday. i think i need to book some races asap to beat the post-mara blues. It'll be nice not having to train so hard all the time but I think i may miss it?

Weird.
  • Doughball, im with you on getting a race or two sorted after FLM, but will be nice to run when i want to, without a schedule for a while.
  • I have got another marathon place in 8 weeks time. I might not do it as it's in Edinburgh so just up the road - no travelling required etc. But it is nice to know I've got it organised for next Monday when i know I will feel depressed. Last time I did a marathon all I could think about was how I was going to do another one asap.
  • Actually also got 2 10K's the in the next 3 weeks..... I am seriously off my head. But our club has a grand prix and I need the points if I am going to get higher than second place this year..