Options

Muscle Rubs - Shin Splints

Hi, I'm currently suffering with MTSS (Medial Tibia Stress Syndrome), my physio has advised that the condition has been caused due to poor balance in the lower leg. Further to a regime of balancing exercises and stretching the condition is getting better, I've also changed my trainers and taping the lower leg helps as well.
I'm now looking for a muscle rub that can be applied before and after running for pain relief but with anti inflammatory benefits as well. I've used deep freeze and deep heat, both seem to be ok but would be interested in trying other products to see if they are any better.

Comments

• Options
    I'd recommend rest, although I know that's not what you want to hear. A rub would only allow you to make the condition worse, by letting you continue to run!
    Although cycling,swimming and rowing would be fine.
  • Options
    I have been quite sensible with the rest, after 5-6 weeks off I'm back running about 10% of my previous mileage and generally the shins are holding out, I do experience some discomfort but nowhere near the extent that I used to. The physio has recommended some light training to strengthen the muscle and to improve my balance which was the largest contributing factor to the original injury.
    It was hard not running but is somehow even worse running but only being able to run for a couple of miles especially with the Paris marathon approaching.....
  • Options
    I go with Alan on this, if you're getting any sort of pain in the shins, and you continue to train, you're taking a serious risk.

I speak from very painful experience earlier this year when I was training for London. I had a grumpy right shin, with mild pain when I got past a certain mileage. I ignored it, and just carried on training as I was in great shape, and didn't want to jeapardise my fitness. A couple of weeks later, my shin just exploded mid run, and I spent 10 weeks getting it sorted. The pain was horrific for the first 4 weeks, even walking caused shooting pains. I can tell you that having my physio break down the lumps of inflammation in my shin with his friction massage, was no laughing matter. I went purple every time he treated me.

If thats not enough to convince you, then I missed out on the London Marathon. I was in the best shape of my life and on for a huge personal best. I was sat watching it on TV.

I wish you luck with sorting it, and returning to full training.
  • Options
    Thanks for the advice Martin. I basically did the same as you, trained despite the pain and ended up taking almost 6 weeks off. After some excellent physio and advice I am now back running albeit only a couple of miles every other night. I occasionaly get a very mild complaint from my shins but they are becoing more mild are getting less and less frequent so theres no doubt that the condition is improving. My main problem is reminding myself to take it slowly, 2 miles hardly seems worthing getting warmed up for but one thing I've definitely learnt is the importance of stretching, warming up and cooling down.
    Looking forward to the Paris Marathon, I don't think I'll acheive the 3.5 I was hoping for but I'm certainly going to aim for it.
  • Options
    I wouldn't bother with the gels but conitue to use the ice packs imediatly after exercise.
    If you think about it, how does the gel work? Your skin is not porus or we would fill with water when we got wet. It is water proof! Thereofre the gels stay on the outside whereas ice and heat can get through to the surface muscles, such as the Anterior tib'.
    The makers of the gels and rubs can claim that research has proven their products can help because research has shown that they have a placebo effect.

Save your money and ice it 20 mins every hour, especialy after exercise.

Are strengthening your posterior calves and doing some wobble board work as well as your anterior ones?
  • Options
    Interesting point re: the placebo effect, I've discussed this before with a friend and is the reason I usually look at deep heat type rubs that actually seem to warm the muscles up, however I'm not sure whether they are penetrating to the muscle or just creating a warmth on the surface.
    My injury is to the anterior tibia, I don't use a wobble board but have been given a range of exercises that seem to be doing the trick.
    The gel was more an anti-inflammatory solution, I just want to make sure I'm doing every thing I can to ensure that I continue to recover quickly and don't suffer with this condition again
  • Options
    deep heat: do not use this for antiinflamtory reasons. heat=swelling
    Again deep heat is very much a placebo effect.
    Ice and intimflamatory pills will reduce any sweeling. Putting on a gel shouldn't do any harm though, unless it is something that brings on heat.

• Options
    Lud - sounds as if you know what you're doing. I've had shin-splints through muscle and biomechanical imbalance and I found the deep freeze stuff to be the best. Deep heat / tiger balm etc are fine for "warming up" but best just to go slower for a while. Just make sure you don't do too much too soon.

I started running a few more miles and got shin pain through overuse and managed to run despite the niggles with icing and doing some cycling to get a bit of leg strength and stability back.

Just take it slowly - which it sounds exactly what you're doing.
  • Options
    I use an anti-inflam, cell-regenerative, analgesic combo before and after work outs religiously. You want something that not only numbs the pain but helps heal. Extreme Relief Cream by Rocky Mountain Botanicals. My naturopath got me onto the stuff back in 2004 and I have never used anything else because its just so damn good.