Crowborough 10K

Comments

• Just when you think its over it goes up again......then you have to run the second lap.
  • So twice.
    I have to say that I much prefer races that are 1 lap. I find multiple laps a little demoralising..
  • It's definetly on the steep side. Goes on for about 1km. Although it flattens out at the top, you're still going up hill.

Cracking race, well organised and one you know you've run. If you're really keen you can cut off about 10 seconds and go straight through the ford at the bottom of the hill.
  • Having tackled the Macclesfield Half marathon (my second competitive race - don't ask!) with some pretty serious hills, I'm told that this course has a doozy
  • Being a bit of a running virgin (have done one 5K in the summer and one 10K run three weeks ago) is this a bit too much for my second ever 10K run? This hill sounds like a biggy?
  • Just done Leatherhead 10k as my third 10k and tackled my first hills. I will be giving this a go!
  • What times have you done on you first three races? I know we shouldn't worry about coming last - but it is a concern of mine!! I did a 10K three weeks ago my first one and did it in 58 mins - I am aiming for 52 - 55 mins for my next one. The last race had 750 entrants and I came 558th with 600 entrants I will be right at the back !
  • Relax chaps - remember the golden rule is - you're never last!!

That theory tends to work believe it or not.

Crowborough is a toughie but if you're capable of a 58 mins race in your first attempt you'll be in front of the backmarkers at Crowborough - maybe not too far in front, but you will be in front of them.

You have to remember that a lot of people enjoy their running no matter what time they do - so I know people that are very comfortable running 60/70 minute 10K's - and there will be one or two of them in Crowborough.

That said, I had a sharp intake of breath myself today at the Phoenix Preston Park event in Brighton. For the first time ever I thought there was a chance of my theory being blown out of the water - the race was stuffed full of fast track guys - with hardly a plodder in sight. At the gun, what seemed like the entire field went flying past me.

But, guess what?

Yep - come the finish there was a good 6-10 bods happily trotting away behind me.

So, don't worry.

See you at Crowborough!
  • Thanks for the feedback - I'll be there!

• I'm a little quicker, 42/43's so far.
    Looking for a sub 40 on a flat course with some decent preparation and injury free. This one certainly won't be it by the sounds of things :-) Good experience though.
    The hills be the making of the man!!
  • Martin,
    What time did you run then...? I was there myself, apologies if I was one of the field that went past you...

Darren,
    Don't be put off. It's only two hills and a perfect one to do if you're starting out. Local, friendly and you'll be nowhere near the back. Leave your watch behind and just enjoy the run...

Boozeboy,
    Pb's have been known on this course, especially for those on the up. Yes there's two big hills, but there's also the equivalent downhill to race through...
  • I'm still on the way back and feeling very rusty (OK I've piled on weight since my Autumn marathon!) - target time 38 mins - made it with 10 secs to spare. I was doing 47/48 min 10Ks but haven't gone sub 50 for yonks. Sunday was a speed session designed to get me back to sub 50's this Sunday at Brighton.

I knew there were some fast guys going to the Phoenix event - what surprised me was the lack of runners of my ilk.
  • but don't forget that its all downhill towards Jarvis Brook just before the uphill so you get a breather
  • Martin,
    Doesn't matter how much you had to spare, the fact is you made it and you're on schedule. Well done.

Well on for a sub-50...
  • Crawley Gooner. Having experienced my first hills of any note yesterday, I didn't actually find the downs as easy as I felt I should (oh to be on a bike!). Mind you I did clock an 18 minute 2nd 5k so you may be on to something there :-)
  • To be honest, running downhill isn't as easy as it looks. It takes a long time to be comfortable running downhill at pace. Still not quite there myself...
  • especially when carrying a slight hamstring strain ! a week off this week for me.
    Supposed to do nike 5k next sunday but i don't think that will be a good idea as the faster pace tends to aggravate.
    Will see how i am next week before committing to this..
  • If you measure the hill in paces, it is longer the second time around - at least my stride shortens on the second lap. Try not to "blow" on the steep part - walk if you have to but pick-up the pace as the hill begins to become less steep.I find that I re-take a lot of runners who have come past me on the hill (2nd lap) as the run to the finish is slightly downhill, then flat before you turn into the short finishing str8 - which is uphill - for <50m where you can go for it!
    The first year I ran this event it was raining hard - ran through the ford,then against the new river which was running down the hill - splashed all the way to the top. My best on this course is 2.5minutes slower than my PB. Enjoy.
  • I ran my first 10km in Brighton on Sunday in 41.39 - completely flat and perfect conditions.
    I'm considering giving Crowborough a try, but slightly put off by the hill and double-lap set-up.
    And what about this ford crossing? I don't understand... Is part of the course off road?
    I'm tempted; someone reassure me!
  • Ah, ok. Doesn't sound too bad. Count me in!!
  • Anybody know of a half decent place to stay before the run. Preferably somewhere with gym and/or pool? Coming down from north of M25.
  • Help and advice needed chaps - I have signed up for the race, bought some warmer running gear and even got new running shoes - now I have come down with a cold. I haven't run for a week and at best will get one 5 KM run in before next Sunday - Do I go even if I feel rough and haven't trained and see how I get on or do I only go if I know I am well enough to do it and finish. Personal bests are out the window for sure! I find this site and these conversations very helpful - thanks to all who take the time - it's much appreciated.

• Darren - it's a 2 lap race. So, if you're feeling rough after a lap you can always duck out then - at least you'll have fiven it a shot and if you don't finish, the 5K run you'll have done will help you get back/keep/improve your fitness.

I'd go for it.
  • Thanks Martin - I said to the wife I could always do it as a 5K rather than a 10K if I was feeling rough - do I need to tell anyone if I pull out after 5K?
  • Well you won't be the only one. Although you don't have to tell anybody, it might be coureous to let them know at the finish - just in case they've counted everybody out!
  • Would anyone know if on the day entries will be accepted?
  • Excellent challenge though. Definately want to do it next year to see if I can improve. Really proud that I did'nt stop on either ascent, wimped out of the ford though - did'nt want wet feet!