Why have standards fallen..

Comments

• I thought you said people got quicker in the 80s...
  • BR
    That's right, even you would have been quicker in the 80s.
  • Therefore I would have had a AAA place.
  • Only in the mid 80s, BR. The qualifying time was 2:35 in the early 80s. Don't think you'd have managed that one.
  • Tom.Tom. ✭✭✭
    Although we've previously been talking about overall standards, do you (BR and RB) think that veteran standards have improved?

I think that there are more vets racing now, and also that more of the fiercely competitive young runners gave up the sport when there racing times started to decline with age?
  • Tom
    That's a good question and I think the answer is yes because a lot of those good runners from the 70s and 80s are still doing it and I think more people gave it up once they'd given it their best shot as a senior.
  • I can't really comment as I haven'y been around long enough. Perhaps Wardi could oblige with a comparison between that 1983 race and now.

Certainly the top of the field is more veteran dominated than old race results I've seen.

Of the 4 fastest runners who turn out regularly in Barnsley AC colours, 2 are 45 and one is 53. And I'd bet there wouldn't be more than a couple of secs between the 53 year old and me on current form.

And how do they train, pray? Hard last man standing type runs:-)
  • Then again, of the people of my age doing the last man standing runs, none are getting any quicker apart from one. The guy who is getting quicker posts on the daily thread and runs to a system of keeping his easy runs easy with a HRM...
  • Tom.Tom. ✭✭✭
    RB, you're quite right I did train then, harder than Micksta does now - and I used to do it in my dinner break. Fortunately I worked as a civil servant and (to my shame!) could coast during the afternoon.

I must admit I am a bit more "nesh" these days and do sneak the occasional after dinner nap on my part time work days.
  • Post war not only was there limited access to pre-processed food, jam packed with energy (sugar, fat - call it what you will but still energy) there wasn't much access to food either.

Hence this generation was brought up on the verge of starvation... compare with the east africans? How often do you see a fat kenyan (except a corrupt politician?)

If the average population is much thinner, shorter and lighter they are much more likely to be good distance runners.

I saw a great quote in Lydiard yesterday, regarding one of Snell's rivals "we knew that he was interval trained, and so would be unable to go the distance"
  • For those of us under 40, what's a dinner break?
  • Deja vu, Mike - sure I've read that somewhere else:-)
  • I don't know BR, I like to be back home shortly after midday!
  • love these threads about the grand old days.

Don't doubt for a moment that running has suffered the sports equivalent of dumming down, says one sporting dummy who's still grinning ear to ear (if yawning maniacly at the same time) for simply having snuck under the wire and not gotten a dnf at a local half.

I did walk to school and back, twice (home for lunch) every day through junior school. No I didn't. I ran.

We do get a lot of choice for our kids now. There's sailing, dance, music, football, tennis, gymnastics, you name it, there's an after school activity for doing it.

Was sport really respected in school in our time? I'm not convinced. We weren't allowed a cross country team.

But I suppose those a mere 30 years younger than I are less likely to have run 2 miles a day from age 4 through age 12. I think that was a solid base to come back to, even after a slight pause of, erm, 38 years.

<<pads off adjusting nightcap carefully, and stepping so as not to tread on long white beard>>

• I think the weight issue is the main one - as MikeB and most of us have said. Society has lost sight of what a healthy weight is - these days if you aren't a bit tubby people call you gaunt. How often do we read on forums stuff like "I'm 15 stone but not fat" - yeah and I'm meeting the Pope at an orange lodge later on pal.

Another possible - I say possible because I don't know - 20 years ago did men take as much of a share of child care etc as they do now? I know all day bike club runs of 100-150 miles are pretty rare these days because people have to get back to the family - yet 30 years ago this was the staple (according to people I talk to) of the cycling scene. Possibly it's what people are doing after work that is limiting training time rather than work hours themselves - maybe men are just taking on a fairer share of looking after the house and kids?
  • That's one that's come up at Barnsley AC when we've failed up get a team for the 12 Stage. `In my day we'd spend all day Saturday driving to Durham, racing then having a night out afterwards'.

I'd like to try running that one past Mrs BR...
  • Well, as you will all know by now, I'm from the era of Lydiard, Snell, Halberg etc - I was just a girl running for the same club. Triathlon hadn't been invented!
    All the fastest kids get snapped up for Rugby League or Rugby.
    My family never owned a car and yes we did eat lots of stuff grown in our garden. Think it was simple - they ran for glory in the old days not for financial rewards.
    I'm really impressed by one NZ guy who's just run 2.15 at New York. This guy started as a 800m runner.
    I just looked up his bio. He ran 3.59.35 for the mile in 1997, 13.30.41 5000m in 1999 and 27.45.98 for the 10,000m in 2004. The very top level of running has improved a lot that it why it is so hard for these guys to keep at it. It is such a hard sport and only a few get the rewards.
    This guy has now moved up to the marathon but will probably miss selection for the Commonwealth Games by a few seconds.
  • The talent around in the 80s was one of the reasons why I gave up running seriously as a 14 year old. I had been running for about 3 years and my pbs were about 2.20 for 800m and 4.45 for 1500m, and I couldn't even get into the top running group for my age at my club, Hallamshire Harriers.

I also remember reading Coe and Cram biographies as a kid and seeing how much faster they were running at my age.

Unfortunately I didn't really consider the fact that I was only running about 12mpw.

So in one sense having lots of talent around is good for competiton but it can also be demoralising.
  • JRM - that's what I'm trying to get at. I think that so many must look at the top level and think no way in hell am I ever going to be able to do that so don't try. Think a lot of head coaching needs to be done.
    The other thing is, in the '80s breaking 3hrs for the marathon was respectable now it seems breaking 4hrs is seen as being pretty good. Guess that's why us old ones can still keep running!
  • back from a nap - all this typing had tired me out after a strenuous steady paced run this am:-))

The standards at the absolute top have steadily improved as evidenced by improvements in world records so the demands for training time (and recovery!) to match those standards at the highest level need to increase.

Can't be done and hold down a job, look after a family, pay the bills etc unless there is adequate funding support. But in the UK potential is not recognised and rewarded in athletics, you have to achieve before the cash cow of lottery funding hoves into sight and middle/long distance is a long term progression = end of top class middle distance runners in UK

As has been said by several other contributers there are a lot of other sports where athletic potential can lead to a more lucrative future, including Christines example from the other side of the world, so it isn't just a UK thing and the outstanding talent pool gets further reduced so overall standards decline.

Strangely I see as many folks on the roads now running as during the 80's, and a huge increase in the proportion of women amongst them, but I rarely see runnners indulging in "the last man standing" regimes referred to earlier.

Finally reference to the FLM times made me look out of curiosity for benchmarks. In the 1980's my times got me to finish just inside the top 1,000 and I was reasonably satisfied given the time I devoted to training. Now I would finish around 350th on the same time.

• I don't think distance running is as widely perceived as a competitive sport these days. Alot of the people I know do it as part of an overall fitness regime, races (maras & HMs in particular) often seem to be just one-off or occassional personal goals not part of a continuous process...
  • interestingly I think that at the very lowest level of competition, standards are actually higher now than in just about any time in GBs history. THat's u13 and u15 level, however the standard drops considerably by the time you get to u20 level, so whilst they're faster than htey were at u-15 overall they haven't improved as much as the youngsters of the old days.

Personally I blame the athletics clubs, they're teaching kids that 3 hard track sessions a week are all you need to be a very good runner and it's just not true. Mate of mine now 20, ran the marathon 2 years back in 2:52 off a long run of 9 miles and little other training apart from these track sessions. The talent there that he can run a sub 50 400m and then with little training for it run 2:52... He has to be the sort of athlete that could potentially be a world beater over the marathon. Or at the very least of the same standard as Jon Brown. As it is he's not training progressively and whilst he's been "training" he's no progressing. at 16 or so he ran a 16:10 5k, he'd run about the same now at 20. Kids with the potential eed to be picked up and start training progressively as early as possible.

The talent is still there, it's a question of channeling it through proper coaching as I don't think youngsters these days are willing enough to go and teach themselves at a young enough age. I learnt as much as possible myself and I'm reaping the rewards, but lots don't get involved racing vets and seniors early on and don't get that experience and so are at the mercy of whicever club coach they end up with. Some are good (Dave Farrow has about 5 or 6 athletes just in the last 2/3 years including Emily Pidgeon) all of whom have won national or equivalent titles. But a large number just believe in 3 hard track sessions a week which is of little use in long term development of an athlete if that's all there is.

• bryn - i think you may be right about the age group thing.
    At my schol 'bright' kids were discouraged from doing PE beyond the minimum and dropped from school sports teams around GCSE years.

i stopped running more than occasionally when i was doing A-levels, because it just did not fit with all the extra CV-building things I was being pushed to do.
    Fairly or otherwise, running just does not look as good on an UCAS form as playing the violin or whatever.

'long-distance running' actually seems to be quite off-putting on a CV - you get some very strange looks at interview, whereas I suspect that if I put down 'aerobics', i would be seen as a bit more of a 'team player'.

i think people now just see commitment to running as quite a strange thing to be doing - even if they do admire running, it's always in a way that sets you out as 'different'.
  • I asked one of the veteran runners locally about this subject. He says that too many kids stay on at school now and then off to uni and so won't take the time out of studying to train - and so many of them need to have a job aswell thro uni so time is limited. Also, my mate says, that many more people got injured in the Golden Age as they often trained too hard. Now, he says that the fact is more people are running, not as fast but are going on longer and for further distances. Just some comments - good thread. PP
  • can't add much, other than a stat I've trotted out before:

in 1996 I PB'd in the Birkenhead Park 5 (29:27) - and came outside the top 100.

8 years later in the same race, I was 12 seconds slower - and came 30th. Not only that, as highest placed unattached runner (as I was then), I was offered a prize of a year's free membership of Wirral AC. I was nowhere near fastest unattached in 1996.

Yes, in 2004, the field was some way reduced in numbers. But it still staggers me - the disappearance of more than 70 sub 29:27 5 milers.
  • Another small clue lies in the traditional school sports day - where my son attends they no longer encourage sports where there will be outright winners - it is not politically correct. Life itself is very competitive so why shouldn't we let children compete.
  • As there were less cars around then the air quality would have been much higher meaning faster times...
  • VO2 Max - yes I think what you are saying too has an impact. They are taught it is not nice to be competitive and then they come out to the real world!
    And as Tired and Emotional says I think most people are happy to just be out there taking part - good for the health system - good for the race promoters - making plenty of money, just not good for the advancement of running on a national or international level.
  • BR - do you know what I noticed the most in my short stay in London this year? So many smokers! Couldn't believe it. We have a real clamp-down on smokers here.
  • WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    BR.. Ref: your 'help me out here' post. Quite! That is why I thought that this thread may encourage a bit of locker room banter, hopefully without upsetting any of the more sensitive souls.

Ref: during the war.. was toothpaste rationed {o:

Marmite.. I am still smiling at your 'Jogger' quote. Priceless.

Popsider.. ditto the 15 stone quote.

NZC.. I have just come back from Southern Spain. GB is a smokeless zone by comparison!

Thanks for the responses thus far, both educational and entertaining.