Dublin Marathon 2006

Comments

• oops - how did my last two posts get repeated....gremlins...
  • Has anyone here been skiing before...have you been to Andorra?
  • Yes, done quite a bit of downhill but now a bit of a cross-country convert.

Went to Andorra once, to Pas de la Casa - that was before they connected up the ski areas, but it was good skiing for beginners and intermediates - quite high and therefore excellent snow. It must be even better now with the new lifts that connect up the areas. Maybe not enough scary stuff for the experts, but unless your'e into 'steep and deep' I think it's excellent value for money. Nightlife not exactly sophisticated, but everything is very cheap!
  • Sounds good sluggie! If a cheque we're expecting comes in soon, we're thinking of booking a week away with the (two youngest) kids over the Christmas holidays.

None of us has skiied ever but apparently they have good beginners slopes and schools.

But as stated before today, I fall down STANDING in the ice and snow, so maybe I'll just go for Apres Ski!!

I couldn't for the life of me figure where Andorra was...my geography is pathetic...thank you google!
  • Oh and there's a fab spa place with stuff for the kids too- can't remember the name of it but lots of trips go there.
  • Sluggie is that the place with all the pools and slides? I've been there.

GFB, are you brave enough to leave the eldest at home? I'm sure Rhino would advise against it :-0
  • Think it's called Caldea or something like that - I never actually went but my pals did and loved it
  • Hi all,

Changing the subject, I noticed several of you use the gym. I used to be a gym member and until a couple of years ago I did 'Body Pump' twice a week.It really improved my running as it strengthened my upper body. It also works well on the old legs. Has anyone else tried it?
  • no but the girl I share a house with swears by it (especially for a few weeks before a big event).

For the last couple of weeks I've been doing a core stability class and yoga because the physio said my pelvis and mid region are very weak. I've not done enough running to notice the difference there yet but I (and quasi BF) have really noticed a difference in how my middle looks. I'm developing some sort of waist. hurray
  • Hi everyone...I'm about to slit my wrists! This freakin' computer of mine has got so slow today I don't know what to do. I have broadband but its dead slow to stop aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa.

I've deleted my temporary internet files but I don't know what else to do...any ideas?
  • go for a run to let all the aggression out?
  • I used to work on a techie helpline and the answer to 90% of all problems is either CTRL + ALT + DELETE or Reboot.

Doesn't work with wives or children (and you will usually find that your particular IT problem is one of the 10% that it won't help either, but hey, why worry, my invoice is already in teh post!)
  • Just been for a run.

It was either bloody quick (for me) or bloody slow, depending on if the pedometer or me are right (grrrr). I always had the distance reckoned at 5 miles(ish) but today I conciously tried to lengthen my stride and teh distance is coming in as 4.2 on the pedometer. So my m/m is either 7:14 (a PB) or 9:02 (slow).

So, Mr H is the Garmin worth the money?
  • amadeus - this was posted on another thread and it seems very accurate. Apologies if it was posted here already:

http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/
    ">GMAP pedometer

Click on UK/Ireland, enter your city and hit go - your map should come up. Double click along your route and it adds up the distance along the left. My routes have been accurate with this, and with my garmin.
  • sorry that link didn't work - cut and past the top line
  • Morning everyone...computer seems to running at a better pace today...I didn't have to kill myself!!

To answer a something from yesterday...Jo, about leaving my daughter on her own when we're away...she really is the most sensible 18 year old on the planet! And...get this...her boyfriend will be back from Uni when we're away too!! Trusting or what!!

I need to know about the Garmin jobby...does it act like a speedo, does it tell you how fast you are running as you're running. I don't know if it does or not.
  • Gfb - go fast stripes for your pc?

Garmin tells you your speed if you want it to! You can also set an upper pace and a lower pace and it will beep if you are ahead or behind. But - it all depends on it finding a satelite and I've had a few problems with this - wonder how Mr. happy is getting on with his. I also find it distracting - watching it too much. Will be useful for interval sessions though.
  • Sounds like it might be good Giller...I like to be distracted when Im running, it takes my mind off my legs and my lungs!!

I wonder what the satellite would be like here in Northern Ireland...also when I go longer runs I do actually run from here to Donegal. (Its not as far as it sounds, we only live 4 miles from the Irish Border into Donegal!...that sounds good doesn't it...I ran right into a different country!)
  • Ginger - the only problem is when you switch it on, it has to find the satelites from last known position. So if all your runs start from the same place, it will be quick, and shouldn't lose them on a long run, unless you are surrounded by tall buildings, trees etc.

I alternate running from home, adn work and although only 5 miles apart, it is slow to find them again at each place.

So does running across the border make you an "international" runner then??
  • GFB - I grew up in Donegal and did all my early running cross country in and around there. Bloody tough, loads of hills!

Thanks for the link Giller but one of teh (few) disadvantages of living in the West of Ireland is that things like that don't cover where you live...

Anyway heavy hints dropped about what Santa should be bringing (Oh my darling wife, If only I had a GARMIN GPS...) and I have just driven the route for a final score of 4.6 miles in 36:08 or 7:51 m/m. May not be fast to some of you but first time I have gone under 8 m/m so I am dead chuffed - it felt pretty easy too. Roll on April 9th!!!
  • Giller. The biggest disadvantage to the west of ireland (UCG grad here) is the rain.

Dunno what to ask santa for this year. a new knee maybe?
  • Geez...I never thought of that before!! I'm an International!! Yay!!

True about the hills Amadeus! Thats why I was suprised when people said that Dublin was hilly!

I acturally live at the top of a (massive) hill so all my runs from home have to end with one hill...I hate them!

I'm definitely dropping hints re: the Garmin...we're huge gadget freaks in this house!
  • By the way, has anyone seen The Descent...its totally creepy...that is all!! ;-)
  • Shame on you Jo - as a fellow UCG alumni (is that the right word?!) the first lesson I learned in Freshers week was that it doesn't rain in pubs.
  • Hi Amamdeus - is the Garmin worth the money? -It depends on your budget I think.

I love gadgets anyway - (he says sitting in his home office with 4 computers, 3 printers, network drive, Print server etc)

Trees and tall buildings do give false readings but taken over a period of time without looking at a few seconds in isolation they are still extremely accurate.

Its a mixed blessing - you discover for example that you didn't run 26.2 miles in Dublin but more like 26.6 (and god how that last .4 dragged on!) - partly accounted for by weaving.

Having all of your run recorded along with your heart rate is pretty cool in my book.
  • Amadeus,
    Are you sure about that? I have (I admit foggy) memories of Sunsay nights spent in the hole in the wall under a corregated tin roof that rained pretty heavily when the pub filled up? (B.Sc. '94)
  • Ahhh, the Hole In The Wall - there was a pub! Once I got past being a GIB I stopped drinking in the Kings Head and speant a lot of my time in Sally's (Sally Longs), with The Thatch a good stop over on the way out to Salthill. Bet you were a regular in CJs and the Oasis? I loved teh Warwick in 90 - 91 but it died a bit after that...

Bet we know some of teh same people - I stumbled onto a BA in '93 after 3 years drinking so we must have done the leaving in the same year (1990)?

Kevin Herron (Fresh) who was in your year / class is running Paris in April with me. I knew a load of Science heads - who did you hang around with?
  • the warwick was our haunt in first year (90-91). After that we were floating voters but yep the Oasis was a popular spot. Was in Galway for a wedding over the summer and it looks like it's turned into a lapdancing club? Liked the thatch and PJ's as well. We must have met a few times Amadeus.

yep Leaving 1990. I was one of the Applied Chem crowd. Would probably know any chemistry heads. not sure I'd know BA's from 93 class though
  • Did you know Tracey Ryan? I think she did Chem in some shape or form. Phil Neary is another who was more a friend of a friend. Brian O'Byrne I think did Chemestry of some sort. Karina Horgan is another who I knew pretty well. If you went to the Science Ball in '93 I was def there with someone called Denise (can't rem her surname!). If you were ever chatted up by a drunk northerner dressed head to toe in black, with a weeks worth of stubble and the worlds warmest jumper then that was probably me...

And have you noticed how you can't put two Irish in the same room (real or virtual) without them saying "Do you know Paddy Murphy?"!

I used to go to Galway quite a bit as I have a couple of good friends who still live up there but we drink in the posh pubs now! Sadly two kids has put a but of a crimp in the ould social life...