Dublin Marathon 2006

Comments

• Sorry to hear about your man Giller (is that your hubby/one of your kids?)

I lost a very dear friend this year to cancer, she struggled for 5 years on and off and in the end wouldn't go into the hospice..but the nurses from there staged a vigil by her bed and gavce such comfort to the family...I'll raise all I can for them.

As far as FLM is concerned, I think you could get a good time as the club runners/elitey types have different start from us plebs...I was supposed to be in the back pen with the Rhino's and such but skipped up a pen or two...having said that they all passed me anyway!!
  • lol - visions of stampeding rhinos flattening little pink bunny rabbits - sounds liek some kind of alternative Disney movie!

Realistically I'd never get into FLM anyway - I couldn't commit to raising teh money and I'll never go sub 3 to get a GFA place.

When you have a personal connection to a charity it does make fundraising a lot easier - people can tell when you care or have a connectiona nd will give more in those circs I think (which leads me on to ppl looking for "chaep" Golden Bond places for FLM and fundraising for a charity they don't care about just to get in, something else I gripe about, God I'm a miserable old git!)

Giller - sorry, missed teh thing about "your man" - hope all is well
  • ànother interesting conversation I had..... some people overheard someone congratulatingme on a marathon last year. It was about mini marathon time of year. Think it could of been santa claus last year. Anyway, they too congratulated me and then found out it wasn't the "real" (their words) marathon that I had done and were very disappointed! THe Dublin women's mini-marathon has it's place but it's wrong to call it a marathon. It devalues the kind of effort we have all made. We know that the marathon is a race of two halves, 20 miles of fun and 6 miles of pain! running/walking 10km gives you no idea what this is like.
  • The longer I do this the more I realise that people haven't a clue what a marathon is anyway! I am astounded by how many people ask me "how long was your marathon"!!!! I mean, like, WHAT!

• Trouble is that saying that sounds elitest. You end up being accused of having a snooty and superior attitude which I don't think is fair.

The term "marathon" has certain connotations, it's part of the language used to indicate anything involving protracted effort and difficulty. As a result completing marathons gives you a certain cachet. It's that cachet that the "mini-marathon" latched onto and profited from.

Now that the events have reached teh size they have they no longer need the prestige of the "marathon" name and it's almost like it's overpowered the original meaning of the word - say marathon now and lots of ppl instantly think of mini-marathons. Saying something like "Oh no, I do the real thing!" gets you grief for being condacending and you have situations where people ask "Oh, how long is the Dublin marathon then?"

I really should take my happy pill today...
  • amadeus, think of it as having a respect for hard work.

I'm off out for my first longish run post Dublin in a while. We've a student just gone in for his phd viva and I think I'm more nervous than he is. Nothing to be nervous about of course, this particular guy will be a nobel prize winner some day :)
  • I agree, gingerfurball. I can't stop laughing when people ask me "Oh, so how long is the Dublin marathon?"
  • Hey Chas...how come you have a Firstgiving site...are you American? (nosy cow me)
  • The tunnel run sounds great. I would definitely do it if I loved local. I have done 6 tunnel Marathons. 5 in Hamburg under the river Elb (39 times round, all underground) and Greenwich foot tunnel in London once. Can't remember how may laps that was.
    Just developed a cold which is bad news for me for this weekend. Hope I don't sneeze when carrying the RBL standard during 2 mins silence!
  • Hello folks,
    I thought that this was as good a thread as any to inform you of a an 'ebook' of condolences for Michael Morgan RIP who died tragically running Dublin last week. I saw it on www.dublincitymarathon.ie The email address is maire.scully@ogilvy.com. Ar dheis Dé go raibh a anam.
  • Re Fundraising. It was easy for my first Marathon -= people sponsored me readily and said things like well done, you've achieved running a marathon - now are you going to give up running?

When I announced that I would run another only about half of the people sponsored me again. The rest just thought I was mad for even contemplating a second marathon!

My niece sponsored me for my first Mara. When she announced that she was going to run a 5k "race for life" as her first ever race I sponsored her generously to encourage her. She completed it in 40 minutes and I felt like asking for a refund!

Unfortunately when I proudly announce that I have run a couple of marathons people can be quite sceptical or negative - first not believing, then asking if it was a FULL marathon and then making comments about injury, arthritis and needing sticks to walk with by the time I'm 60. Perhaps some of it is a little bit of envy and being defensive of their own lack of exercise?

My mother inists on calling half marathons - "Marathons" (She also calls the female dog he) which makes it look like I'm running them every month because I have done 10 halves this year already. She might just as well be proudly telling her friends that her son is barking mad?

Thank goodness for this forum. If I didn't get the chance to talk about running stuff here then one thing I can count on is that nobody else is the slightest bit interested in my running. Although I have now been running for years on and off, many people still ask if I'm still running as if it might be a passing phase. But then I have to admit I'm not the normal shape for a long distance runner :)
  • We heard my mum's next door neighbour shouting at their dog..."BAD BOY LADY"...*confused*
  • Better than shouting "Bad ladyboy"......

• well we have a new doc in the lab......

My run was lovely. did 2 laps of the phoenix park. There was a guy in the middle of a proposal up near the top of the Kyber pass.... awww. She was crying but I think that was a good thing :-) The dear were out and I got to crunch leaves in the forest. I arrived back with one sore knee (still bugging me) and in a much better mood.

I went to see the ladyboys in Bankok.... amazing.
  • a student just gave me a pair of 100 mile socks. The double layer kind always give me blisters so first person with size 3-5 1/2 feet who yells can have 'em.
  • I don't supose I could squeeze 7's into them!!

I think ladyboys are a bit scary!!
  • When I was in the wine trade once on a part work/ part holiday in France, a colleague and I drove past some Trannies in Pigalle, Paris -we circled round to try to get a close up photo and they ran after my company car - tearing off the rear windscreen wiper attachment and radio aerial. I can't remember how I explained the damage to the fleet manager :)

• Can I please have three LOUD cheers for my first post from my shiny new home office, built (mostly) with the sweat of my own brow and vast amounts of blood and tears.

:)
  • size 3 feet? My 13 year old is size 10 and I am size 12. I have a pair of Steel Toecap work boots - size 14 (The only large size they had) so there's a rumour in the factory which I'm happy to let persist :) Ahem
  • well done amadeus.... now that you have some free time agian there are a couple of odds and ends need doin round our way :-)
  • woo hoo! Amadeus the handy man!
  • RE: sponsorship... did Dublin in memory of my brother who died last November... in doing so I raised around 2500 pounds... my mates were all very generous. That was my first marathon and I'm not sure I'll do the sponsorship again... I was doing my first marathon for a special reason and it seemed right that I'd raise some money for a charity helping people with the same issues my brother died from... and I'm also not sure I like the idea of going back to my very generous friends again asking for more dosh.
  • IMB,I like Mr GFB's idea. If anyone asks in the future you can continue to raise money for that charity? I think that's the approach I'm going to adopt in the future.
  • I'll continue to raise money because there will always be a few who are willing to contribute enthusiastically but I really pushed it for my first marathon. For my second I still raised a few hundred quid just by setting up a justgiving web site and sending a few polite emails without mithering.

Its sad but probably true that if I get a FLM place (The Fun run!) I'll be able to get more interest and sponsorship and then I'll probably have to run dressed as a large piece of fruit, animal or something similar. What did you say Amadeus? :)

For the vast majority of people I'll only hassle them for a donation every couple of years. After all its for a good cause:) My Mother has been quite good at twisting her friends arms :)

(It reminds me of the Catherine Tate sketch where the Geordie woman starts bullying one of her colleagues because he will only donate 25p a mile etc)
  • A further problem re sponsorship is the donations you collect from work, which can form a large chunk of the total you raise.

In my early days of running I asked colleagues to sponsor me on a couple of occasions.I stopped because I figured it would be hard to go back to the same people time and time again for donations.

Furthermore with other people entering races or doing other sponsored activities you tend to feel like easing off and letting their charities recieve the benefit of colleagues genorosity.
  • Hey gingerfurball! Nose away!

No I am not American, I am a Brit. I have a firstgiving site because the charity I am raising for (Progeria Research) is a US-only charity so firstgiving was the only way to do it!
  • My word, even though we've done it, there's still so much going on here. Devastated I can't catch up at work any longer - nose to grindstone. Now to Christmas is nightmare - on knees by Christmas. But if I tell you my job I'll get no sympathy so I'll just shut up about work.

Lots of things to talk about. Re port tunnel run - I agree once in a lifetime thing (ie can you imagine being in it when it's full of lorries!) but it's just the whole tunnel experience. I've never braved the Channel tunnel. Although used to travel on the Tube all the time. Don't know. Haven't run since 30 Oct so I may have forgotten how to by now.

Re understanding of marathon - SL I can't believe what that woman said to you about not fund-raising! Can't believe the outrageous cheek of some people. I think GFB's idea of just passing on whatever people seriously WANT to give you to your chosen charity is a great idea from now on. When I was training for the marathon, an intelligent, well-read friend of mine (as opposed to the rest!) asked me what sort of time would be normal for a first marathon - 3 hours? She was so disappointed when I said about 5&half.

Re what speed is difficult - all I can say was that 5hrs12 mins suited me down to the ground. What I want to know is - is it feasible/realistic to aim to get that down to 4.30 next year? If so, what do people reckon is the best schedule. I'm a great book/schedule follower - I think that's why I got on so happily this time because I did exactly what the guys said and it worked. Just don't want to buy a second training book and find it's useless.

Amadeus - it's finished!! Incredible! What about the paintwork? did you ever get in a man to sort it out? or did you just give up.

SL - so people still propose? That's nice.

Well, must off and do stuff rather than sitting here chatting to you lot (delightful thought that is). Thanks for being here for me every time I log on!
  • NRG2 - First I'd train with other people - perhaps join a running club and run at least once a week outside your comfort zone. This gave me my biggest improvement in just 3 months.

Then for me its all about spending time on my feet, losing a load more weight (10kg) and generally getting fitter and faster.

I can hardly give advise on how to shave a big chunk of time off - I failed at Dublin this year hitting the wall through lack of proper training - but the key is consistency and I was unable to train consistently for the last 8 weeks of the 16 week schedule although I have been training consistently over shorter distances for nearly a year.

As for a schedule - I'd work on my base fitness and try some shorter races - 10ks and half marathons and see just how fast you can run them before entering into another marathon schedule based on what McMillan or RW predict from your best shorter race.

• Ref. fundraising you can imagine how difficult it has been for me even though I only do one a year for sponsorship. Dublin was my last time of asking people to sponsor me. In future, my 6 & 12 hour race will be the main fund raiser for my chairity provided I can get a race sponsor each year of course.