Dublin Marathon 2006

Comments

• NRG2, the best schedule is one that you can do with any other time commitments you have.
    It requires a few long runs building up in time, speed work including intervals and hills. I used this ideas to make a plan that I could do.
    If Dublin was you main aim for next year I would do a number of shorter races in the first half of the year as Mr H suggested. I am sure SJ or other may come up with some ideas.
  • RE: Fundraising I just asked people at work this time as they also had some other fundraising for the charity in the hospital that I work and they had a national awareness month. As there is normally only 2 other people that do some charity events in the year it is not too bad.

I am thinking about fundraising for when I am doing IMUK next year (plus other events through the year), not sure for who yet but it would give me extra incentive raising money for a good cause.
  • SL - so people still propose? That's nice.

Apparently so. I actually thinkthe proposal is nearly mor romantic than the actual wedding... I've been to too many "do"'s where great auntie Nora is in the back of the church loudly opining on whether the bride is expecting or saying the groom is a good-for-nothing or such equal madness... then there is the dancing.
  • I had the smallest wedding on the planet...bearng in mind the whirlwind nature of our relationship!! 40 people in total, having said that it was eons ago before weddings took on the moneyspinning/stress inducing nature that they have now!

My sister was at a wedding recently...for both partners it was their second marriage and there were 300 at the day "do" and a further 200 at the evening! I simply don't know that many people!

MrGFB said he wanted to look around the room on our wedding day and know and love everyone present...sorted!!

Having said that when he proposed to me I thought he was going to tell me he was dying or something he was so serious...I suppose it had something to do with the fact that we were only going out a month!!
  • they guys I saw yesterday looked about as young sa you and Mr GFB must have been...
  • ...I was young! He wasn't so young! That's lovely though isn't it...what a cute picture that would have been!
  • Ha ha - how different. I think I muttered something under my breath - "well I suppose we'd better get married then" (We had lived together for about 2 years)

We had only 35 people - it was one of the best weddings ever - a lot of humour and laughing. The best man produced his short speech - It was a roll of fax paper that unwound accross the floor. My friends even had the reception hotel staff in on the in jokes. We did the whole thing on our own for about £1000 and then had a house party back at my parents. I think spending a lot of money and inviting lots of peole we hardly knew would have been daft.
  • Amadeus, Do you live anywhere near the arena in Limerick? I'm going to be a canoepolo widow in LImerick on night of 2 December if you fancy a run.
  • Us old fogies had it right MrH...although I probaby will have to fork out a fortune some time in the future having two girls so it'll come back and bite me on the bum then!!
  • I proposed twice (both times to Mrs A by the way), once without the ring and then when we bought it. The first time we were walking down Upper Street in Islington just after a Feb 29th & she says "you had a lucky escape - traditionally women are allowed to ask men to marry them on a leap day!" And I thought well, why not!

Second time we had just paid off teh last bit on the ring (that has teh worlds smallest diamond but it was all we could afford). It was by Islington market, the rain was pelting down & I knelt (in a puddle!) and asked properly. There was a real cockney market trader watching and she gave me some stick!! We'd only been together about 6 months or so but (mother of god) that was a decade ago...

As for the new office, why thank you for your unexpected cheers! :)

No man was called in, my chest is plenty hairy enough to handle a bit of building, thank you! When I bought it it was basically a big shed and I've vapour lined it, insulated it, plasterboarded walls and interior ceiling, joint filled it, painted it, sanded the floor, insulated teh floor and laid that tacky laminate flooring. Only thing done properly was the electrics which I entrusted to a pro!

I still need to do some cosmetic stuff - window sills & framing, architrave, skirting boards etc but after that my leather tool belt goes back into cold storage. Well, unless Mrs A wants another "performance" and frankly after that incident with the socket set I would be surprised if she does...
  • Actually just remembered that I sort of proposed to a gf in the states using a coke can ring pull in the back of a bus! Not sure it counts though...

SL - assuming you mean the UL Arena? Not far at all - in fact I often run past it and have been thinking about using the track out there for speed work for a while. I'm up for a run as long as you promise to go slow!
  • will check, I think it must be. There is a munster leaque for canoe polo that they play in a pool in Limerick. We're actually in Galway that weekend but Zuppy is playing and I would rather drive down with him to keep him awake in the car. Don't much fancy watching the polo all night though :-)
  • Must be the 50m pool, it's in teh UL Arena so I can't think of anywhere else.

You're doing a fair bit of trotting round teh country these days.
  • Hmn - I proposed to my guy - something along the lines of "our holiday in australia could double as our honeymoon if you fancy it?" Right so says he...but we should do it sooner rather than later - alright - 6 weeks enough? - grand so. And that was that. Squeezed a wedding in day before Captains Prize (his golf) and league winning fixture (my hockey). Romance? Whats tha?

GFB- mr. gfb sounds like a real dote. Rest of you guys on here too for that matter....

ok - decided yesterday to do connemara half - not full. So that's my target for now. It's expensive though - 65 euro for a half? When's Cork?
  • This weekend I am going nowhere. It's the first weekend in 4 1/2 months that I haven't either been away or had visitors. My plans extend exactly as far as buying new trainers and lots of sleep....
  • Amadeus - well done on completing your evil genius lair (you can't fool me !)
    Has Mrs A suggested curtains yet ? :o)

Oh, SL - congrats on getting into Florida - whereabouts and when does it take place ?
  • panama beach the 1st weekend of November... I dont' think I have ever entered anything a year in advnace. I know the north eastern corner of the usa quite well but I've never been down south....I'm really excited about it.
    My race plan for next year is looking like

11 Feb Seville marathon
    19 may Lanzarote Ironman
    24 June Roth triathlon
    4 November Ironman Florida

There is a big gap between roth and florida so I will have to find something to fill the gap. Might do nottingham marathon again? maybe find a bike race somewhere.
  • I see online registration has opened for 2007. So who'e going to be the first?
  • Giller...yes my man is a dote!!

What's everyone's thoughts on em doing FLM on 22 April and then Cork on the 4th of JUne (isn't that the date)...it would be just 5/6 weeks apart...is that me being over optimistic?
  • HH - muhahahahahah!!

Couldn't find a dormant volcano locally but my back yard is a bit of a swamp and Bond visited a croc farm in Live and Let Die, and crocs are farmed in swamps so I reckon that'll have to do...

New trainers sound good - might pop in and get some myself this weekend (people have started paying me again, which means I can once again afford luxuries like trainers and food)
  • 11 Feb Seville marathon
    19 may Lanzarote Ironman
    4 June Cork marathon
    24 June Roth triathlon
    4 November Ironman Florida
  • That was "ME" doing Cork and London...not "em", I don't know who that is!
  • As you know I did Longford & Dublin this year and tehy were only 7 weeks apart. I did PBs in both races so it's not impossible. That said I think I would have been faster in London had I either not done Longford or done it more slowly and returned to training sooner.

Depends which one is your proiority I guess.
  • GFB, do a long run at the start of December and see how that feels. If you can manage it then there will be no problem.
  • in London? have I missed something Amadeus?
  • I just checked the flights from here to Cork , there's no way I'm going to drive it! Flights are all available and for £140 return but the only thing is a 5 hours stopover in Dublin airport on the way down...how's that for torture!

Or I could have got this BA flight that had 4 changes and cost £1040...how's that for masochistic!

You know, I think I'm going to aim for it...*all brave and all*
  • I just checked the flights from here to Cork , there's no way I'm going to drive it! Flights are all available and for £140 return but the only thing is a 5 hours stopover in Dublin airport on the way down...how's that for torture!

Or I could have got this BA flight that had 4 changes and cost £1040...how's that for masochistic!

You know, I think I'm going to aim for it...*all brave and all*
  • ...lost posts...double posts...is it me or my computer thats wonky!

(I thought you said you'd never do London amadeus!!)
  • 5 hours seems a long time to be stuck in Dublin? you could get a bus to cork from the airport in that time?
  • How long would a bus take?