Options

Calling All Ladies with Hips

I've had a lot of problems recently with pains in my hips and glutes. Apparently this is caused by the excessive rotation of my fine hour-glass hips while running.

I've been advised to do some exercises to strengthen this area. Leg raises are one and Pilates has also been suggested. Anyone got any other tips?

Comments

• Options
    Are there ladies without hips then ??

Poor things...
  • Options
    How did I know that someone would ask that question?

All ladies have hips. But some of us have more ample hips than others.
  • Options
    my physio tells me to think about clenching my glutes when I run and walk, and also draw in lower abs to help keep pelvis stable

I fall asleep in pilates but do do something called body balance which is slightly less dull

the kind of lunges? when you have a swiss ball on the wall behing you and then dip to a seated position clenching butt then stand u pagain are good

well vile actually

is lunge the wrong word here?
  • Options
    palnks (AKA benches) - lay on your back with soles of feet flat on the floor so your knees are bent like you would for a situp position.

With your hands by your sides raise your bum of the floor into the air - kind of like doing some sort of pelvic thrusts that a boy band might do - only you want to do it slowly & maybe hold the postition for a second or to at the top of the movement.

This is good for hip flexors, glutes, & abs to a lesser extent
  • Options
    do you wear high heels? The tip the hips forward causing no end of problems - back pain being the main one
  • Options
    Thanks all.

I used to wear high heels a lot but less so now because of running. I do fall prey to their evil lure every now and again though....

Pixie - yes I can see there being lots of weeping with the exercises!
  • Options
    FL: Give the Pilates a try.- Yes it is much slower paced than runners are used to.- The movements are really delicate.- But you'll probably weep a bit at the time and all of the next couple of days!!
  • Options
    Blimey you've not been to the right pilates classes. I am now level 3 to 4 and the classes are very hard. They certainly help too, I had dreadful SI joint problems which are now pretty much sorted from pilates once or twice a week. So stick at the pilates and go up a level or two.
  • Options
    sorry pilates fans - did NOT mean to imply pilates is easy, simply that it doesn't do it for me

balance is a mix of pilates, yoga and tai chi and I agree the pilates are the hardest bits - so it's certainly not a Q of me being too fit for them