How do I know if running is affecting my fertility?

I'm not unduly concerned as have only been 'actively' trying to conceive for a couple of months, but have read a lot about 'excessive exercise' having a negative effect on fertility. The trouble is there does not seem to be any definition anywhere of 'excessive'.

I am therefore assuming that this varies from individual to individual. I've been running around 35-40 miles a week for the past 8 months or so, having increased from around 30-35 mpw which I'd been doing for about a year before that. Since stopping the Pill at the end of May, my periods have been reasonably regular (although what constitutes 'regular'?) although my cycle is very long: 33, 37, 35 and 40 days since June.

I'm slightly concerned (although not overly at this stage) that my running might be affecting my cycle. I do recall having a relatively long cycle (at least 28 days) pre-Pill though so perhaps I jsut have a naturally long cycle. It does make it difficult to work out when I might be fertile though - and having a period isn't necessarily an indication that ovulation is taking place. Is there any way of telling whether I'm ovulating? I don't want to go down the route of taking my temperature every day or peeing on sticks if I can avoid it, as that just breeds anxiety which is a big factor in conception.

I don't want to cut down my running unless I have to, and I think it's a bit early to start worrying about things, but I'm 36 so am aware of the pressure of time.

Any advice on how I know what is 'excessive' training for me and if there's any way of knowing whether I'm ovulating normally would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Minks, have you talked to your doc yet?

I'm in the same boat, am 34 and tried 3 cycles of ov predictor kits and nothing showed so I've just had a 21 day blood test to tell if I've ovulated by measuring your levels of progesterone. Next step for me is course of Clomid which makes you ovulate.

Got onto the subject of running, not in reference to the above and when I told her I'd just done a marathon she said that was fine and carry on.

Hope things work out for you.

• MinksMinks ✭✭✭
    Hi Cinders, thanks for your feedback. No, I haven't talked to the doctor yet, as I only stopped taking the Pill 5 months ago and we've only really been 'properly' trying since August. I don't want to start panicking yet but just wanted to know whether there was any way of telling if I'm ovulating without medical intervention.

What do you mean by a 21-day blood test? You mean a test done 21 days from the first day or your period, or something else? This might not work for me as my cycle is so long.

Good news about the running though - puts my mind at rest a bit. I'm not paranoid about it or even desperate but obviously I don't want to be unwittingly reducing my chances if I can avoid doing so.
  • minks

it might be a good idea to talk to your doc. all the advice i've read says that if you are over 35 and have been trying for 6 months without success, then see a doc.

also, whatever age you are, if your periods aren't regular and you don't get pregnant in 3 months, then see a doc.

although you says yours are regular, there's 7 days between your shortest and longest cycle which probably isn't 'text-book' regular.

i know you don't want the anxiety of peeing on sticks etc, but a visit to the doc is probably a v. good idea - if nothing else, at least there can then be no dispute about the fact that you've been trying if it still doesn't happen.

as far as exercise affecting fertility - it certainly can, and for some people it will affect them at lower levels than others. some people with normal BMIs even stop menstruating at 30 mpw, whereas others are fine at 80 mpw. it's all individual.

finally (sorry for ramble!), as far as working out whether you are ovulating - there are a few signs, but they are often quite subtle and if you haven't got a definite range of a couple of days in which you are expecting them (which you won't if your cycle varies by as much as 7 days), it's going to be difficult to pin them down. some people get some spotting, others get some pains. then there's the 'mucous' thing (which i've never really fathomed out to be honest!) but could be an indicator. again - it may come into the category of making you anxious if you are constantly checking?

not sure if that is any help.

good luck...
  • actually - another thing to add (sorry!), is that doctors will often suggest that you DON'T drastically alter (ie reduce) your training when trying to get pregnant, as that can alter your body's rythms (is that how you spell it?)

i suppose that's all very well if you know that running isn't messing it up in the first place. but if you can establish that you are ovulating, then it should be fine.
  • MinksMinks ✭✭✭
    Now you're making me paranoid, Caramel! From what I've read (which is a fair amount) 3 months is a very short amount of time and apparently after 6 months of trying, only 6 out of 10 couples will have conceived.

So far exercise hasn't stopped me from menstruating but of course that doesn't necessarily mean I'm ovulating. I guess I could visit my GP but to be honest I'm not sure I'd be taken seriously this soon - statistically even those under 35 are unlikely to have fallen pregnant within just two months. Also I think my main fear is being told to cut down on my running.

It would be helpful though to establish whether or not I'm ovulating. If I know everything is working normally then I wouldn't need to cut back on my running (which I'm loathe to do).
  • Minks, yes the test was done 21 days from start of the period. Not sure about longer cycles, but the doc could probably offer advice. She did ask if I had kept a temperature chart (god that was boring) but it was "flat", ie I had no rises at all.

Also, the doc will probably advise your partner being tested too.
  • Can a bloke cut in here, my wife was 35 when we decided to start a family (September 2001) and as nothing had happened by the end of the January 2002, we saw a doctor, both my wife and I were sent to the hospital her for tests and me to provide a sample) the long and the short of it (and without any real intervention) we were blessed with a little boy born April 2003.

My wife, after tests had been diagnosed as not ovulating, something which obviously distressed both of us - what the hospital failed to spot was when they ran the last test she was actually pregnant!! I think because of the tests we were unergoing, we were not expecting at that stage for anyhting to happen and were far more relaxed than we had been before and I think that could be a bit of a key.
  • MinksMinks ✭✭✭
    Thanks Grendel - a lot of people have said that being relaxed about it makes a huge difference.

I have a very close friend who has suffered with every gynaecological condition under the sun (endometriosis, polycystic ovarian syndrome, agonisingly painful periods, and advanced abnormal cells on her cervix). On top of this she has been on medication for years for severe asthma and in the summer months, chronic hayfever. She is also very overweight, in part from the effects of years of medication on her metabolism. Her gynaecologist recently took her off all medication and then started reintroducing one thing at a time to see how she could best be helped before resorting to a hysterectomy. She was told some time ago it was highly unlikely that she would ever be able to conceive as she was very likely infertile.

She was recently feeling very unwell with bad sickness and fatigue. Her partner was so concerned he made her book a visit to her GP. As she knew that the GP would want to rule out pregnancy, she did a test ... and was absolutely gobsmacked to discover that it was positive! So stranger things have happened ...

So pleased that you and your wife were able to conceive naturally in the end. I do think that for me, it's a little early to be worrying and making appointments with the doctor.
  • Its worth getting tests and stuff done as we also found it relaxed us and I found out shortly after that I was pregnant. Sadly though I miscarried that pregnancy, but we know we can conceive which will help I guess moving forwards. Running when trying is fine, its when you find out that you need to cut down volume and intensity.

Doc also told me not to stop running as it would affect my normal rhythmns. Low BMI anything under 19 can delay it too, I am 18.5 but not unhealthy so started eating 100-200 calories extra a day to help a bit.
  • Its worth going to doc Minks just for a chat check blood pressure etc. Get any other advice, he can tell you timescales then too of when they can test things. it may just take some of the worry away and you never know bingo may occur!

Forgot to say I am 32.
  • minks - i didn't mean to make you paranoid at all!!!

i'm so sorry!

i should really shut up because i don't want to make you feel worse! but yes, you are right 3 months is a very short period of time, and the stats do show it takes something like an average of 8 months to conceive. a lot of things i've read, though, do say that if you are over 35 you should see a doc after 6 months. if you are under 35, it's 12 months. but if your periods are irregular, it's 3 months. i'll see if i can find the references for you.
  • MinksMinks ✭✭✭
    Meant to add that obviously my friend wasn't expecting to get pregnant so had been very relaxed about everything. The gynaecologist said that if she had actually been trying the story may well have been very different as anxiety may have interfered.

I have another friend who is due to give birth any day now. She's 32 and it took her and her partner 9 months to conceive, without taking any specific measures other than to have regular sex. So I don't think I should be worried yet.
  • Just before I sign off on this thread - it actually did take 11 months for OH to conceive - I think the problem is for any couple, once you have made the decision to start a family - unless you are a very special and relaxed sort of person, impatience does creep in - But remember in all liklihood it will happen so enjoy the trying and cherish your sleep - the sleep can become a distant memory!!

• MinksMinks ✭✭✭
    Mitchie Moo, thanks for your input. Interesting what a couple of you have said about not cutting down on running whilst trying to conceive as it may upset normal rhythms. My BMI is 18.5 too, but I'm definitely a healthy weight for my frame size (which is very small). I certainly don't think I look skinny, and I asked a couple of other people who also said that I look healthy and definitely not skinny/scrawny.

Perhaps I will take your advice though and go to the doctor - if nothing else they will at least then be aware of the fact that we're trying.

Caramel, it's OK, I'm not really paranoid. I should add that I'm not desperate to get pregnant so I don't feel stressed about it, but as Grendel says once you have made the decision to try, you start wondering whether each month will be 'the' month.
  • MinksMinks ✭✭✭
    Thanks Caramel - that's the site I've been reading too!
  • minks - glad i haven't upset you. i really didn't mean to.

definitely no reason to cut down on running. (maybe if you were doing 120mpw, but not at your current levels!)

if you did, you'd probably end up even more stressed!

good luck - hopefully you'll have happy news soon...
  • MinksMinks ✭✭✭
    Thanks Caramel - think that was one of the things most worrying me actually: that I might have to cut down on my running! Knowing what a few of you have said about not cutting down as it may affect body's rhythms will probably make me feel more relaxed and who knows what that may mean??
  • There's the other side of the coin of running affecting male fertility. Let's say you'd been trying for nearly 2 years after 2 quick and successful conceptions before. And let's say the male partner was running 80-90mpw. That could be causing a low sperm count due to the constant heating of the area.

And let's say that 80-90mpw runner had to contemplate cutting back drastically on his running in the near future...
  • Something else you need to bear in mind, athletes such as Liz McGolgan, Sonia O'Sullivan, Kirsty Wade have all had children (and particlularly McGolgan still running at quite a high intensity)

Good luck and don't worry
  • Minks, something that the doctor said to me about not ovulating was that its triggered in the mind and that if you're stressed or have "emotional" worries as she called it then she says its possible to miss a month or so with ovulation.

I don't think I'm particularly afflicted with either though...I hope!
  • Minks - you are right, the devil is in the definition of `excessive'. I can't see any doctor recommending a total ban on running, but how far you'd get past the 3 x 30 mins per week (or whatever the official guideline on how much exercise to do now) is a moot point.

It's like trying to define `hard' training.

I would look on the positive side of running lowering your stress levels, giving you a greater sense of self esteem and healthier lungs and heart. This can't be bad for conception purposes.
  • The best book I've seen on observing your body to learn about when you're ovulating:

Toni Weschler: "Taking charge of your fertility"

<a "href=http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/0091887585/qid=1131736725/sr=8-1/ref=sr_8_xs_ap_i1_xgl/026-4047023-0036436" target="_new">Amazon
  • personally
    id go and get the tests done now minks

the earlier you know there is a problem-IF there is one
    the longer you have to fix it
    you may need to make a fuss
    good link roos
  • Hi Minks,

I am 35 and my partner and I have made the decision to try for a baby in the New Year. I started taking folic acid in September and went to see my GP for pre-conception advice last month. I am from a medical background so know that it is important to speak with your GP when you start trying for a chat and ask any questions/discuss any concerns. He told me to eat healthy, don't smoke, don't drink too much, exercise, take folic acid (all of which I do) and enjoy 'trying'. He also said that they would not start any investigations unless I had been trying for 12 months and been unsuccessful at concieving and not to get worried/stressed if it doesn't happen in the first 6-9 months.
    From what I have read, you can run what is 'normal' for you however once pregnant you have to be careful how much you run as it raises your core body temperature which can be dangerous for the baby. You may need to read up more on this subject though. I am not planning to reduce my mileage (up to 18-30 miles/wekk) while trying but will re-assess when pregnant. It will also depend on how you are feeling etc...
    I don't mean to blabber on but just wanted to share what information I have as we both have the same goal in mind... Relax and enjoy trying :-)
    Jx
  • Thanks Joani, that helps me too, been trying for over 2 years now so all help/advice appreciated here too!
  • I dont think the 12 month rule is necessarily acceptable
    its time wasted
    ok yes it takes an average of 8 months to do the deed
    but if you DID have a problem then it would be 12 months wasted

(have no kids and dont want any-but -you know)
  • minks, i think one thing that no one has mentioned is that it can definitely take a while for your body to get back to normal after coming off the pill.. i read once that it could even take a year, especially if you had been on it for quite a while... and i would guess that it could longer to get back to normal the older you are.

good luck!
  • Hi Minks
    I recommend a book called Taking Charge of Your Fertility by Toni Wechsler. She goes into the biology of your cycle and all the different fertility / ovulation signs. I read it and was like "hey, how come I got to age 33 without knowing this stuff?!"
    Puts paid to all those things that say women are all fertile at day 14 too - if you've got a long cycle it could be as late as day 21 or even later.
    Good luck