Flirty women are blamed for rape

Comments

• Of course it wasn't hippo. You know that really.

Have a good run:-))
  • I went this morning
    feel safer then
  • I agree Hippo! But the original article on which the discussion is based is for the less shallow (but I might not be objective)

there some figures

one site

fact and figures the shocking truth
  • I am a few posts late!

Of course, it wasn't your fault, and you know that!
    The feeling around it unfortunatly is a taugh one to deal with!
  • useful sites LO
    thankyou
  • well having been in similar situations (although thankfully i have never experienced a violent sexual assault - just minor haraasment )

i am pretty certain that if anyone did have another go iam so F****ing angry about the previous experiences that i will certainly be going all out to REALLY hurt the next little sh17 that has a go

jumping on their head is part of my strategy too ..its about making sure they cant get up and run after me as i cant run particularly fast any more

my semi facetious comment was about not being scared and looking like i am prepared to look after myself ..which makes me hopefully look less of an easy target than someone who looks scared and vulnerable out on their own
  • That sounds good to me Buney! I too expect to be able to respond in the same way if ever there is another time!

But let's admit that it'is not obviously possible!
  • er
    whats that got to do with rape?

though i have been known to attend to patients in runing gear at times
  • LOL Pudsey!!!!

That caveman obviously affected you more than you reckoned.

(exactly which thread is a unicycling doctor supposed to be for??)
  • Can't remember the thread where the unicycle featured.

The ruling does illustrate the difficulty.

Will this weaken any woman's case who was drunk or even who had been drinking?

Not being able to remember is of course the key thing but could a defence argue that a drunk person is incapable of remembering and thus introduce doubt?
  • We had a similar argument used against Mrs FR. That her "disablity" affected her "reliability" as a witness, and therefore weakened the case against the attacker. The CPS wouldn't be persuaded away from this view, even when medical evidence was produced which showed that far from making her unreliable, that the condition made her far more reliable because she would not embelish beyond what actually happened, and would be able to recall it in some detail.
  • On the basis of the reports I have read of the case in Aberystwyth, what happened was that the prosecution effectively withdrew the case because they accepted that, on the evidence, the jury wasn't in a position to find that there had been no consent. That was because the complainant couldn't remember whether she had consented or not. The basis for her saying she hadn't consented was that she didn't think she would have done, which isn't much of an argument if she was heavily intoxicated, really. How can she say what she would or wouldn't have done in that sort of state?
    If the defendant was saying there was consent, and the complainant can't say there wasn't, how could he be convicted on the basis that the jury was sure there hadn't been consent?

That isn't to say that there was actually consent, but it's hard to disagree with the prosecution taking the view that the jury couldn't be sure that there wasn't.

Unfortunately the CPS can be a bit cowardly about which cases it prosecutes, as appears to have been the case for FR, which sounds horrendous.

I don't know what sort of bloke wants to have sex with a woman in the state of the Aberystwyth student, it doesn't say much for him on any view. But I don't think you can change the rule that drunken consent is still consent, unless at least you could find a way of describing a situation where someone is obviously too drunk to know what they are doing. Probably the law ought to protect them in that situation.
  • I wouldn't call them cowardly - just not able to "think out of the box" too well.

I actually found them very helpful when I approached them.

The case didn't fall on that basis incidentally - in fact it didn't fall at all - the CPS felt they had enough to secure a conviction. However the view that they took - and it was one that I agreed with - was that Mrs would probably come across poorly in an adverserial situaton, and that a good defence lawyer would push the boundaries and place her under a lot of pressure. The medical opinion was that she might self harm again in the wake of a humiliation. That was the last thing that anyone wanted.

That said - I take some comfort from the fact that the pepetrator leads a pretty miserable existance now. He lost his job, family, home, and most of his friends.

• Aber is my home town.

Lots of drinking goes on there. And sh*gging. And fighting. And that's just the locals.
  • Excellent. Good place for a social then?
  • Great place for a social. Loads of pubs. Cool university town also.

But it's d*mned hard to get to, the roads are terrible.
  • What a shame. My 3 favourite pastimes all in one place.
  • That's a lot more understandable, FR. I guess it's scant consolation, but it's good to know that the bloke didn't get away with it scot free, even if he wasn't locked up.

Toria, I'm sure, if you try hard, you could find some similar 'action' in London??
  • I'm not after the fighting, that's something that I avoid.

Returning to topic, there appears there are different types of ways of perpetrating rape e.g.:

attack by a stranger (what most people think of but which is only a small proportion ~ 15% of events)

attack by an associate (pre-meditated/grooming)

attack by an associate - drug-assisted (intentional e.g. slipping a roofie into someone's drink to render them insensible)

attack by an associate - drug-assisted (advantageous e.g. the victim or both parties are drunk)

I think the last would be the hardest to prosecute as it is harder to establish if consent was given and if there was intent.

Although rape is rape, for the purposes of prosecution there may be advantages in a precedent being set for disclosing the defendant's identity.

There's also those football cases where a group of women reported being raped & it all turned out to be a blackmail or publicity stunt. That doesn't help.
  • The last one is probably the one met most but never gets reported.

Informed Consent is the key. If she is drunk then she can't give informed consent. If you are drunk and you can't make sure he has given informed consent keep your kit on!

Rape in this case is not an act its the perception of that act by the woman.

From my point of view blokes get away far to lightly in this area because they always have done.

I know it isn't very fun loving but the law and practise should be if you have congress with a woman who is, for whatever reason, not capable of informed consent then you risk prosecution.

This means that a husband risks a rape charge if he has sex with his wife after a party. Yep. Absolutely. Just because they have had it before and that she is drunk doesn't mean on that occasion that she wanted to.

This might make loads of people think twice before putting themselves in a position where they could be accused of rape.
  • Alcohol seems to be a recurring feature, time and again.

And the party season approaches ....

I wonder if there are less assaults of this kind in communities which are booze free.
  • I know of at least two women (former girlfriends) who have not bothered reporting 'drug assissted advantagous rapes/sexual assaults by an associate because:

1. They were sure that they hadn't consented to sex, but not sure exactly how the event unfolded...

2. What would be the point... who would believe them?

3. The bloke was seen as popular/a nice guy (previous to the event) People would think she was making it up.

One of the women was very traumatised and the events changed her life, the other managed to cope quite well (on the surface).

Makes me wonder how many of these crimes not only go unreported to the law enforcement agencies but are not even spoken about

• Makes me wonder how many more women it's happened to. And how often the same man gets away with it.

I've been lucky that although I get drunk, I can still make a decision & don't forget what I've done. Several ppl I know lose their memory & all inhibitions with alcohol - if that happened to me I wouldn't drink.

I never completely rely on someone else to get me home either.
  • I must be very old fashioned.

I find myself asking the question "Would I really want to have sex with a woman who was so drunk that she was unlikely to remember whether she had said yes or no ?"

Do feel free to laugh at me, but I regard sex like a fine wine. You wouldn't neck a whole bottle just like that would you ?? Its something you enjoy, savour, take your time over. Above all you want to not only remember it with pleasure, but if at all possible repeat the experience.

I've had the drunken woman making advances at the office party bit - and I've had the drunken boss telling me that he's going to promote me and give me a 50% pay rise bit as well. I'm afraid I didn't take either very seriously.
  • Any girl woman should have the right to wear what she wants whether that be a short skirt, low cut top whatever. In my mind if they want to look attractive and sexy its very nice to see but in NO WAY suggests they want some random man to rape them.

Clearly girls enjoy the attentions of men or the thought of them being admired. Nothing wrong with that and cant understand how anyone could apportion blame on them if they are raped.

A man raping someone is a horrendous crime and no blame should be attached to the victim. However far flirtation goes any man knows when a girl is willing or not and that NO being said in a certain way really does mean NO.

• Stump, I'm afaid 'informed consent' isn't a concept relating to rape, but to medical procedures. Rape is about non-consensual sex, and requires the perpetrator to be aware that it is non-consensual.
    You couldn't have a law which says that drunken consent isn't consent, unless you limit it to conditions which would be obvious and out of the ordinary. Otherwise, well, what is a bloke supposed to do - breathalyse any woman who's had any alcohol and get her to repeat tongue-twisters if she asks him to bed? If you can come up with a formulation that is unambiguous and you could expect people to be able readily to identify in practice, then you'd be talking.