Pregnant runners' club

Comments

• Sadie was in her cot from day one - they are very noisy indeed!! Sadie is back in with us for a few weeks while we deocrate the bedrooms and carpet. I had forgotten what a noisy sleeper she is!! She has a habit of growling at high volume throughout the night!! Maybe that is just Sadie :-)

We could easily hear her & she settled into her cot and routine very quickly. Also it meant only one of us was a awake at night for feeding.

It is of course personal preference and what works for some does not for others. I think you have to do what is comfortable & right for you and your partner/family.

It was nice for hubby & I have to still have our place when baby took over the rest of everything else.
  • clare - it's interesting. the more people i talk to, the more i am coming to the conclusion that having baby in your room from day 1 is a nice idea but just not very practical. i think 2 of our friends managed it, but one of them has a ginormous room (about the size of the whole of our upstairs!) so the baby was a long way from the bed!

how are you getting along at the moment? do you have any more scans scheduled?
  • MinksMinks ✭✭✭
    I think a few of my friends intended to have the baby in with them but then changed their minds pretty quickly once he/she was born!

We wouldn't really be able to fit a cot in our room - it's not a small room, but not big enough for a cot as well as our bed and other bedroom furniture. We only have a small house - two bedrooms, one bigger than the other but both an OK size. At least that will put paid to the in-laws coming to stay for too long once th time comes ;-)

We lived in a flat previously, and almost bought a bigger house when we were planning to move. But our current house came up, and the owners wanted a quick sale and reduced it below the £250K stamp duty threshold - which for a house in London is pretty amazing! In terms of space we don't have a lot more than we had in our flat, but the trade-off was we gained a garden, garage and freehold (and our own front door instead of being in a block with a shared entrance) and hardly had to increase our mortgage at all, so it was worth it.

• Our little fella lasted about 5 hours in our room before he got relegated to his own room ;o) Too much in the way of grunting and snoring - now I have TWO men that do that (unfortunately I have to share a room with one of them!)
  • don't believe ANYONE when they tell you that sickness goes by the end of the first trimester.

URGH!

i feel grim!!!
  • How many of you are actually enjoying being pregnant ? Can't say i am so far, first trimester tired and nauseous, second trimester, so far, starting to expand, feel fat, feel my body is not under my control anymore. Got a limited wardrobe for the next few months now (as not much point spending loads of money on maternity clothes) so not feeling very glamorous or attractive. Starting to wish my pregnancy away and wish it was over and i had a lovely wee bundle of joy already and be able to reclaim my body. Oh i'm such a moaner and probably just impatient to be a mum, another 20 weeks seems like a long time, especially since i'm only going to get bigger and more uncomfortable.
  • Hi there.
    Mrs O at the mo I'm enjoying pregnancy...only troubles I seem to be having are bad skin(i though pg was supposed to give you AMAZING skin..not me!) and bad back.. so not too much to complain about really.

Re the clothes..I felt really miserable when I couldnt find clothes to fit me..believe you me when you start getting a little bigger and start fitting into maternity clothes you feel fab again. I bought 3 v cheap dresses and I live in them..but it shows off the bump and everyone comments on how well i look(even if its not true its nice to hear!) Even people I dont know come up and start chatting and its so lovely.
    Definitely dont wish your pregnancy away..enjoy it. Have you felt the baby move yet? If you havent..wait till you feel it...its just fab.

Sorry DCM you're not feeling well.Hopefully it'll pass..and at least you are finishing work soon. Maybe its a sign your body is ready to finish work and start resting before the new arrival.
  • Hi all (esp Decaff), yes I'm back. Back on-line at last. Computer blow up and have been waiting for insurance to come through to get a new laptop. Looks like its all been happening whilst I've been away.

I have an almost 8 month old who is now teething her top 2 teeth together. Was totally stressed out the other week as didn't know what was wrong with her and felt bad coz I just didn't know what to do. It was a wordly wise friend (who has 2 kids that picked up on the teeth) - how bad did I feel. Calopl and Calgel is wonderfull stuff once you know what's up!

Headaches still around but not as bad as they were. Got to see the Neurologist and he was very reassuring and helpful. Did give me a name of the condidtion that I've been left with but it was so technical that I can't even remember what the hell he called it. But it will eventually go. Just aiting for a MRI scan appt - just to make sure that I've got no tumours (thanks for that). Tried to make a joke aboutit and how un-likely they would even find a brain, but obviously the Consultant had lost his sense of humour (such a shame for someone so young).

Best go as my dinner is ready and totally straving. Will drop in again soon. Hope all mums-to-be and bumps are doing well. Can't wait to find out what everyone has...
  • Thanks, Mrs T, i think you hit the nail on the head, thats's exactly how i feel at the moment, normal clothes don't fit any more but not filling the maternity stuff yet, so feeling a bit clumsy and uncomfortable in my clothes. Also don't really look that pregnant yet either, just look like i've got a pot belly and feeling a bit fat!!!Have felt little movements for about 2 weeks now, to begin with wasn't sure if it was the baby or my digestion/gas, but pretty sure now that it is the baby, still quite light fluttery movements and you can't feel or see them on the outside (hubby is desperate to see some movement i think) but feel it a couple of times a day now. Think it will feel more real once the movements get stronger like proper kicks. I can be a right miserable sod at times and moan about nothing really !!!
  • mrs o - i didn't start to look properly pregnant until about 28 weeks, so i know what you mean. before that i just looked a bit pudgy, and my bump wasn't looking like a proper bump. i felt my absolute worst (and still do, actually) in my swimming costume. so hideous!

re: movements - your hubby will probably be able to start feeling movements on the outside in a few weeks. it's amazing how quickly it progresses from that little fluttery feeling, to being able to feel little kicks, to feeling like you have a real person inside you squirming around and being able to see your bump changing shape! the most active time is probably in the run up to 30 weeks. after that, baby starts running out of room, so then it's more feelings of pushing and shoving, which can be quite uncomfortable. sometimes it makes me jump, especially if i slouch or lean against the side of the desk. the baby can shove with such force that it's either painful, or it pushes you away from whatever you were leaning on!

mmj - LOVELY to hear from you again! glad all is ok, even if you are still having nasty headaches. are you managing to get out to do any running these days - not that the weather is very appealing!

i managed to get over my sicky feeling yesterday by going for a swim and replacing the nausea with indigestion. that meant i couldn't face any dinner, so went to bed without eating and woke up at 2.30am hungry. was then unable to get back to sleep again until about 5.30! i think that serves me right!
  • I'm in the stage where baby is just full of beans..am getting lots of pokes in the ribs. Was in a meeting yesterday, and both me and the girl sitting beside me spent most of the time watching my bump move! twas hilarious.
    Mrs O It'l be no time at all before hubby can feel movements. My hubi-to-be could feel movement at 19 wks..and he just loves it. I think thats a little sooner than most as I'm quite a slight build.

DCM I keep meaning to join in on a local aqua natal class..but cant bear the thoughts of fitting on a swimming costume....argh. I'll have to force myself one of these days.

I've left it v late to start applying for antenatal classes...no one has any space for us until 4 wks before due date... I suppose I'll have to take it...altho would have preferred to start the classes sooner..ho hum!

DCM how are you finding your classes ?
  • Mrs T, i'm not so slight a build (strapping lass, probably a better description) and a good layer of fat over my stomach, so may be a while longer befroe hubby can feel anything.
    I have started ante natal yoga and enjoying it, however most of the women are very fit looking types, with nice little figures and just a neat bump out front, however there are one or two like myself that just look fat !! One lady, it was her due date last week and she was still at class this week as well !!!! Apparently she was getting induced today if nothing had happened.
  • MrsT - finished my classes ages ago. I went to the NCT ones in my area which were running from feb-may, which was quite early for me, but that was the only time they were running.
    One of the girls on my class didn't make it to the end because her baby arrived 4 weeks early...
    I'd say the NCT classes were OK, but it really depends on who you get as the teacher. Ours was very nice but incredibly disorganised and not very good at following through on what she said she was going to do.
    Also, they are very focussed on natural labour so she didn't cover c-sections! and given that 25% of people in our area end up having c-sections, that's quite worrying!
  • oh I'd love to try antenatal yoga. Only classes round here are just too far away. Had an attempt at painting my toenails this morning..and just about managed it. I need to get more flexible b4 I get much bigger I think.

Cant believe they didnt cover c-sections at the NCT classes. Its all very well talking about natural labour all the time, but it just makes the thoughts of c-section much more scary if they're not providing any info about it !

I hope to goodness I finish my NCT class b4 baby comes..i wont have a clue otherwise.
  • In a rush off to a meeting...just wanted to share..

I had further scan to check up following my bleeds etc. All has resolved itself and there is no evidence of any further bleeds etc. I can now exercise again, albeit only the x trainer.

I cannot wait to get on it tonight. I have had so much energy recently and have had to use it doing gentle chores instead ...yuk not my thing at all!!
  • Thats brilliant news Clare.

Enjoy the x trainer tonight !
  • Congratulations Clare - hopefully it will all go smoothly from here on in :o)

Have a lovely bank holiday weekend everyone

Hegs x
  • clare - that's fantastic news!!! just don't overdo it in your enthusiasm to be back exercising again. it's a while since you were able to exercise so be gentle with yourself!

MrsT - they don't actually tell you much about what to do with a baby once it arrives at the NCT classes (or at least they didn't at mine!). we had about 20 minutes on bathing and changing a nappy, and that was it. we seemed to spend about 3 weeks on how to identify that you are in labour, and another 2 weeks talking about how your partner can help you during birth by massaging your back and talking to you (and my husband just cracked up during all those exercises, so that was just pain pointless!). the rest of it was scare stories about epidurals and being induced and the 'cascade of intervention' - ie once you have one thing, you end up with the lot. informative to hear once, but you don't need it rammed down your throat, and it's not that useful when, at the end of the day, you may have all those decisions taken out of your hands if your baby is distressed or you have problems.

anyway, if i do end up being able to have a 'natural labour', i am well versed in all the positions i should try and adopt and all the encouraging things i should expect my husband to say/do!
  • I would really recommend hypno-birthing if you are looking for a natural birth.

I tapped into this informally, during my last labour without realising. I had high blood pressure & needed to be induced. The consultant (not the midwife - she was great) really pushed me towards an epidural straight away. I was not keen and wanted to try first. I knew that I would have to stay calm & keep my bp low if I were to avoid intervention. And I managed it.

Since Sadie, I have read up on it and I realise that by being calm and going into myself, avoids stress & the release of cortisol which takes the blood away from where needed i.e. uterus and to your heart etc in a fight or flight mechanism. This makes your contractions less effective, more painful & slows labour. Also your own endorphins, when calm are much more powerful than any drug and do not slow down the natural process.

I have bought the book from Amazon and am looking to develop what I did further this time (if I can!!!). Each to there own and all labours are different, but if you want to go natural or at a minimum gas & air - it is a read I would thoroughly recommend. Sorry I hope this does not sound preachy – but it really helped me last time.
  • clare - that's interesting. my husband was keen at one point for me to try hypnosis because he reckons i will panic and he doesn't think i'll cope with the pain (nice to have his vote of confidence, huh?)

i've spoken to a friend who does hypnosis (he's a trained hypnotherapist) and he couldn't actually convince me that i wanted to give it a go. basically, the courses that you can take are quite expensive and i was reluctant to shell out that much money (it was several hundred quid) for something that i might never use because i might be forced to have a c-section for some reason - like because the baby was breech etc.

so i haven't looked into it any further. i'm interested in your book, though. that would be a much more cost effective way of giving it a try!

i also didn't want to have to listen to some tape during labour, which seemed to be what a lot of the other options were (ie you didn't do a course but you got a tape to listen to). i want to be able to listen to music (music is very very important to me), so having a tape of some bloke saying 'you are feeling sleepy' was not quite i was planning!

what's your book called?
  • As an fyi from someone who had to have a c-section, I would have MUCH preferred a natural delivery, but sadly it wasn't to be.
    In my humble opinion, unless you have been through delivery before it is impossible to know how you or your baby will respond to the whole process and therefore looking into all options to make you feel as relaxed as possible about the whole thing is a great idea. I had very little information given to me about a c-section at my antenatal classes, but my obstetrician was fantastic and gave me loads of info (particularly since it looked highly likely that I would have to have one). It made me feel a lot more comfortable about the whole thing.

I also think that there is a lot of pressure on people to make decisions ahead of the event about what they want - as if you have to decide which "camp" you want to be in - the totally natural, waterbirth, scented candles, gas and air brigade or the bring on the drugs, epidural and elective c-section crowd.
    It therefore makes those people who fall into the "inbetween" crowd - i.e. those whose labour doesn;t go to plan and either need an epidural or c-section - feel inadequate or somehow cheated, which is terrible.

Delivery is a very emotional time and usually a wonderful experience - in spite of the pain and indignity ;o) - however it works out for you. I think that the health professionals ought to be focussing more on providing people with facts and options (like Clare's suggestion about hypno-birthing: no one ever mentioned that in my classes) than trying to steer people towards making a 'decision' before the time comes.....

OK, rant of the week over and done with. Sorry if this offends, but I feel strongly about having seen so many people come away from the whole process feeling as if they have in some way 'failed'.

Hegs x
  • Hegs - I do agree that no one should be made to feel a failure. I just don't feel people are given enough options to feel empowered. There is little information on how to manage naturally. I had a plan that built up depending on how I coped.

I am like you with the course DCM - there is no way I want to pay out £290 for a course. I am not a course type person and my husband, although totally supportive of my choices and did a great job on the day, would be mortified if I dragged him along. I figure I did ok last time anything extra from the book is a bonus.

The book is a great introduction and helps you let go of some of the fears you might have.

I do not want tapes or CD's again in the labour room. The idea is that they prepare you birth. I suppose you can take them along if you want. I must say, I did the relaxtion exercise and slept for 2 hours after. You never know, maybe I will sleep through the whole thing!!

Here the link in case you are interested:
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/0757302661/qid=1148660447/202-2009788-4922266
  • Decaff

Next time try a banana, it will help with everything, it will also help you fall sleepy and get rid of any hunger pains in the middle of the night (even if you eat it when you wake up at 2am)! See I'm still full of useless info... How's the bump? x
  • I feel moved to post
    am a medic-and deliverd 20 babbas in training

there is so much "expectation" around birth
    some mums are made to feel bad for wanting pain relief(I once heard a midwife berate a woman as a "bad girl" when sshe asked for pethidine)

now
    the way i see it
    its a PERSONAL and INDIVIDUAL experience
    there isnt a right or worng way
    you might have a birth plan, you might not
    and on the day-you might decide something totally different
    at the end of the day-what matters is you and the baby, or babies-come out ok at the end of it

good luck ladies-you do what is right for you on the day
    xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • PH - thanks for that, and you are right. it's nice to have it confirmed by a medic, though!

actually, i have to say that even though i went to the NCT classes and got the whole 'intervention is bad' spiel, i've come away thinking that what will be, will be. and at the end of the day, these decisions *can* sometimes be taken away from you if baby gets distressed or you have serious problems.

for instance, i really want to give birth in a birthing centre which is about 45 mins from where i live. but if i go overdue (not unlikely given that it's a boy and it's my first!), then i will have to be induced, and then i will have to go to the hospital. which means that i won't be able to use the birthing pool, which is the major attraction of the birthing centre, and is something i'm keen to use because i absolutely HATE tens machines, so it's one of the key tools i was hoping to use to cope with the pain.

i don't think i'm going to bother with a written birth plan though - too much can change and i may feel like a failure if i can't achieve what i've written down. the only thing i've asked my husband is whether he wants to cut the cord or not. (not sure if he gets the option if it's a c-section, but he's not fussed anyway).

i want to listen to music at least at home if i can. and if i do get to go to my preferred birthing centre, i want to go in the pool if it's available. but there's only one pool, so it may not be...

but there are just too many variables to say that you definitely want one thing or another.

at the end of the day, i will be glad to get this thing out! in one piece, hopefully, and i really hope that whatever happens, i won't feel like i've let myself down.

thanks for the link clare - i'll have a look at the book!

on a lighter note, i ended up washing some of the baby's clothes last night. scary!!! we are going to tenby for a week of glamour and high living next weekend (we know how to push the boat out!), and my husband thought it might be a good idea to take a hospital bag with me - just in case. i suppose it's not daft, because i did arrive at 36 weeks!

mmj - i'll try a banana next time. the welsh cake worked well last night but then i did get up and come downstairs and read for 2 hours to get back to sleep again!
  • I am also not really enjoying being pregnant, still feeling queasy all day long, but am eating more normally now. Enjoyed some pub lunches and dinners over the weekend in the lakes, and coped with the car journey too.

I am now in maternity clothes, with only a few normal clothes left that fit me and these were too big for me before. Have now put on 8lb at 15 weeks. But yes do feel fat and flabby, need to do more exercise, but it makes me worse sickness wise.

DCM, I keep some cereal bars by the bed which I nibble on if I wake up hungry (all bran ones are nice) which means I can go back to sleep pretty quickly. If I don't eat it keeps me awake for hours. Also now have big bag of dried fruit and raw veg to nibble on all day. 3 meals a day isn't working for me it never did even when wasn't pregnant.

Booking appt today at the hospital, have big list of questions, as hard to know what to expect as all my friends have had singleton births, and my Mum had my brother and sister obviously 30 years ago.
  • good luck with your booking appointment - and don't be embarrassed about your big list of questions. i had a mammoth list when i saw my midwife first, and i am only having 1 baby! i think they are used to it. last time when i went, the midwife asked if i had any questions, and was shocked when i said 'no'!

i'm SOOO fed up with not sleeping, and now i have excrutiating back pain and pain in my inner thighs. i'm sure this is just from relaxin (probably not helped by the 3 hours' strimming, raking and weeding i did in the garden on sunday!) and i just need to take it a bit easier. but it's hard when you know you are actually OK and just want to get on and do things!!! however, i think that might be the last time i try doing all the strimming and raking in one go (we have a huge garden with steep banks which need strimming. i think i need to do it one bit at a time in future!)
  • I've not been on here online for a good few days - so having a jolly good read of recent posts and will be back later today.
    Hope all peeps, bumps and babes are well.
    Laters
    GMx
  • Hello everybody, i have a little question. I am hoping to be pregnant soon but I have already entered into the great north run in October.Would I be able to do this? Can you run when you are pregnant or do you need to give it up? Any advice would be great! X