Options

Pregnant runners' club

Comments

• Options

Hi all,

I'm 14 weeks and have always been a keen runner, plan to keep going for as long as I can. What are you doing re running clothes? My usual running gear feels a bit skimpy at the moment (have  more of a tummy than would usually and feel a bit self-conscious). Doesn't seem to be much running maternity gear out there - what's everyone wearing? Some (££) gym wear, but I like wicking fabrics etc. Do I just buy a couple of running tops in a larger size? thoughts welcomed!

• Options

happygonicky, I know exactly what you mean. I was showing very early, before I was ready to tell people so I splashed out and bought a lovely (but expensive) vest top from sweattybetty.  it is about £33 in their sale but it is perfect because it is 2 layered- one long length close fitting but breathable underlayer then a baggy overlayer to hide the bump.  The 2 layers mean you are not flashing flesh when doing burpees/floor work etc if you do more than running, it is wicking and brreathable.  For my leggings and shorts I am just rolling down the waist band to sit under my bump.  

• Options

Niki.  I found a leaflet produced by the American Obs & Gynae council useful to reassure me with regards to what I can do exercise wise as I was getting lots of surprised looks/comments when people found out I am still running/training.  it is more about general fitness training than running but it is worth a read.  Here is the link....

http://www.rcog.org.uk/files/rcog-corp/Recreational Exercise and Pregnancy.pdf

• Options

Thank you so much, Emma. I'll take  a look. Much appreciated!

• Options

here is the link happygonicky....

http://www.sweatybetty.com/double-time-tank-prodrp014a_maldivemarl/

I have to say now i have told people I can also wear some of my normal running tops- I have a racer vest top which has always been quite baggy so now it fits over my bump perfectly (not sure how much longer tho 

• Options

P.S happygonicky, I am 13 weeks and found that my pace has slowed down quite considerably already, have you found the same?  I don't mind am happy as I am not training for anything, just doing it to stay fit, but I was suprised at how early on I slowed down! Not sure if it is psychological or actually physiological changes!

• Options

Hello,

Thank you! I completely agree. Have been very surprised by it too. Apparently we have lots of progesterone going around our bodies at the moment and that can make us breathless. Also feel much heavier - physio said that body contains more water than usual at moment (not to mention the cake-eating I've been doing instead of wine-drinking!).  We'll feel very fit once we've had the babies - imagie how much easier it'll be then!

• Options

image Glad it is not just me! I didn't realise progesterone made you breathless, that makes me feel better.   I agree about the cake eating, I seem to have substituted chocolate for wine & cider image but I don't feel too bad as I am still exercising.  I keep joking that my bump is actually a cake baby rather than an actiual baby.  I am so hungry at the moment that I had to eat a ceral bar at 4am as I woke up feeling faint and really hungry the other morning, then had breakfast and had eaten my lunch by 10am!!  I guess it's better than the nausea in the early days!  I like the thinking about how much easier it will feel after!  Good luck with your running and the search for a decent running top.

• Options

Glad not's not just me on the cake bump front! Thanks so much for the running top recommendation - I've bought the Sweaty Betty one and will be giving it a go later tonight! Have you thought about running post-baby? I'm thinking about getting a running buggy. I know they're expensive, but running is (family, partner and bump aside!) the msot important thing in my life, so am prepared to shell out...

• Options
    Hi, I've been looking at run if buggies- there's a lot of info on them on earlier posts here and on the mums running forum, and the baby jogger seems best, however I am undecided about buggy for several reasons.... This is my 2nd child & we already have a v good all terrain buggy which may be ok for short flat runs although it is quite heavy. I thought I'd try it and see. I don't do much road running and not sure how the baby jogger would be off-road on forest trails etc. I also said that running was a relaxing 'me time' so wasn't sure I wanted to take the baby, with my first when I finally started running again I went in the evenings. However this time to stop myself goig insane in those first few months (I really struggled first rime round and wish I'd began running again sooner) I think it'll be easiest to go in daytime with baby while older one is at nursery etc. I thought about trying to find a second hand one. I am planning on doing the local park run too as husband takes toddler swimming then so I thought I'd try my current buggy and see how it goes. I think I read that the babyjogger can't be used until about 4-5 months and I'm not sure if the off road forest track running I do will be too bumpy for a baby! I might have to find some road runs, but then I'm a bit nervous about pushing buggy on roads. I guess that's the problem with living in a tiny village in the middle of nowhere!
  • Options

Thanks, will have a look back. Had a look on the second-hand front, but there doesn't seem to be many about... Agree re the roads. I'd feel the same. I'm in London so lots of parks, pavements and tow paths...   

• Options

good luck with the research, let me know what you decide, I'm pretty sure I am just going to try running with my existing Britax vigour 3+ and see how I go.  

• Options

hello - I am 19 wks, and still running (slowly), about 25m a week. It feels fine, but I'm really shocked at how judgemental some people, even friends are! Before pregnancy I was running 45 miles a week so I have scaled it back a lot and my pace is possibly only 10min/mile or slower! It's nice to read that others are carrying on. Makes me feel less guilty! I do wish pregnancy running kit was easier to come by though. I can't find anything!

• Options

Hello Kay,

Glad you posted! I've found Pregnancy and Fitness by Cherry Baker very useful to help me understand why some things are not recommended unstead of the blanket 'no exercise unless its swimming or walking' instruction. It even summarises the key benefits in one page so you could show your friends? As for random strangers, who cares?! 

I'm doing about the same mileage and pace aas you at the moment and am feeling absolutely brilliant on it. The thing is, I've been running for years and years, so if I suddenly stopped, I'd feel rubbish. The research I've found all suggests (as long as you're not suffering from any untoward symtoms) that continuing the exercise you've been doing is good for you and the baby.

Agree re the clothign issue though. Emvn80 suggested a Sweaty Betty top which has got me through so far, with a couple of other tops, but I need to get some more gear urgently. There's a company called fitandfabulous which does have some stuff, but it's pretty limited.

• Options

Hi Kay, I agree completely about the clothes, although as happygonicky says I have bought a couple of tops in the sweatty betty sale which are perfect.  I am still using my same running cropped trousers, just rolling the waist band down to sit under my bump, although if as my muffin top continues to grow this may not be a good lookimage

People at work gasp when then see me arriving/leaving in my running clothes, but I think anyone who has read the evidence and is used to running/exercising knows, it is so beneficial and no evidence linked to the contary.  I am running much less distance than the 2 of you as I also do a fitness class twice a week, have a toddler, work and was coming back from a frustrating tendonitis/groin injury when I got pregnant.  I am mainly only running 3-5 miles in one go,& only twice a week, but interstingly my pace (which did dramatically drop down to 10 min miles has incresed up a bit as my nausea and first trimester general rubbishness has worn off! No doubt it will drop down again, but I don't mind.

I am 15.5 weeks but feel really good continuing to run /exercise and I also think it is really important for your mental wellbeing as well as your fitness (& the baby!) Having had to stop running early on in my first pregnancy then not restarting until he was 6 months old I think made a massive difference to my mental state in the early sleep deprived months and with hindsight I think some running or even walk/running in those first few months after the birth would have really helped my mental state as I adjusted to being a first time mum at home all day with a screaming baby!!!  Therefore this time round I am determined to train right up until I can and restart after as soon as I feel able.  I am a big believer in being guided by your body.

Good luck to both of you with continuing to run and the pregnancy, most peoples comments and startes are through ignorance (& may be jealousy!) rather than actual knowledge. image

I do most of my running alone, and was thinking about trying to do the parkrun more regularly as it is a good atmosphere, I don't think people will judge you and there's lots of people around if you did feel faint or anything (I've recently had a couple of dizzy/feeling faint episodes at work which knocked my confidence a bit (I think the baby was having a growth spurt!)

• Options

emvn80, I had a couple of dizzy/faint feeling episodes - around the same point as you've had them, I think. Just stopped and walked until I felt a bit better. If I felt a bit knackered, had an extra rest day. Should think it'll pass - it did with me. Glad you're still going!

• Options
    Thanks happygonicky, that makes me feel better. I do remember a similar feeling first time round but it scared me as I was feeling so good during my fitness class I pushed myself a bit hard maybe, going tonight but just going to be careful

not too push myself too hard and to make sure I've eaten first. I have no intention of stopping yet when I generally feel so good. It happened with my first occasionally and I wasn't exercising then! Take care
  • Options

Feeling much happier again after a lovely 4 mile forest run in the sunshine this morning and a fitness class last night, no more dizziness/light headedness image.  Feeling inspired watching the olympics!  

• Options

Glad I found this thread. I'm 26 weeks and still managing just a little 20min plod 3x per week. My midwife is very supportive but a lot of people are pretty judgemental about it. Due in mid-november and want to do the GMR in May next year then a half in the autumn, maybe Conwy?? I've got a bump support band which really helps. How soon post-natally have people got back to it?

• Options

With my first I didn't get back into running until 6 months & I really regretted it.  I struggled to come to terms with motherhood and the lifestyle change and really believe with hindsight, running sooner would have helped me mentally as well as physically! This time I plan on starting again asap.  Reading other posts and the - mums running club on here, it seems like it is very variable some people are back at 3-4 weeks, some several months.  I have to say if you want to get back to running asap I would advise doing as many pelvic floor exerscises as possible during and after pregnancy! I think 6 months until a half marathon is definitely do-able providing you have a relatively straightforward delivery/post natal peiod etc.  Most people advise waiting until your 6-8 week check before starting exercise, although they don't really check you much at all!  Good to hear you are still running at 28 weeks.image  I am hoping to be too.  I am thinking I might start stopping the abs section of my fitness class- gonna just do the plank instead! But still doing pretty much everything as I was before at almost 18 weeks, just a bit slower image

• Options

As you say, a lot will depend on what kind of delivery you have. I'm trying to keep up with the pelvic floor stuff and I think I want to try to get back to it at 6 weeks just doing run-walk beginners programme to start with. I'm getting some backache now so may have to go down to twice a week - work's pretty knackering too. I think it will help me avoid the doldrums post-natally. 

I think the plank will help the core but you have to be careful that the recti aren't separating or it can make that worse. There's a gaiam prenatal yoga DVD which is pretty good for keeping abs in good shape. Makes me feel so much better knowing that there are other ladies out there keeping up with the running.

• Options
    Walk/ running is a good way to start. Thanks for the advice re abs, that's really why I am stopping with the specific ab stuff, I think the plank & similar should be fine for now. I had quite a bit of abdo midline separation with my first (but only post natally) so hopefully I will now what to look out for. image
  • Options

I get a peculiar looking prism shaped abdomen when I do plank exercises at the moment but no definite divarication. I'm just wary as looked after a mum who never managed to get her recti back together after her third (she was a keen runner) - you could get three fingers between them *shudders*

• Options

Oooh, nasty, thanks for the warning! I could get my 3 fingers in after my first and it completel;y freaked me out- it felt like I was going to herniate my abdominal contents everytime I bent forwards (That was without running or exercise of any sort during pregnancy).  I'll be careful! image

• Options

And remember that after five months it's really not great to be lying on your back for more than a few minutes - my pilates instructor reminded me of this earlier today.

• Options

That's correct, another reason for doing planks not sit-ups! It is mainly for your sake rather than the babies (as your bump gets bigger it presses on the vena cava, reducing blood flow back to the heart, so can make you feel dizzy,).  There is a theoretical risk of reducing the oxygen delivery to the baby for long periods on your back although i has not been proven.  I have to admit that during both pregnancies I seem to always sleep on my back -unintentionally but I've never had a problem and the midwife said it is fine as long as you feel fine image I have to admit that at my fitness class I still lie on my back for short periods of time....

• Options

Can't help thinking if it was that critical not to lie on your back then evolution would've done something about it by now or the human race wouldn't have go this far! It does affect blood volumes returning to the heart to a point (they put a wedge under your right hip in obstetric theatre) but I can't believe it really affects blood flow to the baby to any significant degree (the placenta's pretty good at preserving its blood supply). "If it makes you feel dizzy to do it then stop" was what my midwife told me but I am forever waking up having slept on my back all night. Better reason not do to that is it makes the snoring worse so my other half prefers if I sleep on my side....

• Options

Our bodies are usually pretty good at letting us know when something's not right! Nice that this thread is a bit more active! I've just got some great gym/running wear from www.fitandfabulous.co.uk. My anomaly scan is this Friday - am a bit nervous about it, to say the least, so am trying to keep busy!