Pregnant runners' club

Comments

• Wll done, Emma! Great running! Inspiring stuff! And not long now...

Emvn80, good to know what physio's advice was. Am feeling much better after some nice runs at weekend! Am glad it's not just us struggling on the baby naming front image

Nicky  

• Hi,

Hope everyone is feeling ok still?  I am loving the article in this months runnersworld about running during pregnancy and in the post-natal period.  the advice post-natally about getting your core and pelvic floor back to strength before running again makes sense speaking from my first pregnancy, pelvic floor and my abdominal muscle separation was something I wasn't expecting first time round!  My husband said the photo of the baby wearing the Nike+ watch and trainers must have been from our 20 week scan!  Seriously though it is nice to see some evidence based articles written rather than people just assumming running is a bad idea when pregnant.

I am 23 weeks and loving feeling the baby move all the time, although my SPD is getting worse making my pelvis pretty painful after running, hoovering, pushing shoppping trolleys (pretty much everything!) but I am not quite ready to stop yet so am scaling it back a bit and seeing how it goes.  Some days seem fine, others much worse.  It's very frustrating as apart from that I am fine.

Hope you are all ok?

Em image

• I too loved the article in this months magazine, and the picture too imageMy husband not so keen.

Apart from your SPD, glad you still getting in some running. There are still many pelvic floor, ab and back exercises that you can do now during the rest of your pregnancy to help with the everything before and after.I've been doing such exercises throughout my pregnancy. Just don't do anything you didn't do before you pregnant. Things like hip bridge are good, as you can do pelvic floor at the same time! image

I'm now 40 weeks! So hopefully not too much longer. Have been getting lots of frequent braxton hicks and nasty, sharp twinges in all the right places, particularly round my hips. Also getting the mood swings (made worse by the fact I can no longer run), and have had the cleaning frenzy! I did my last run (well, more like jog) on the treadmill just over a week ago (38 weeks and two days). Have been doing lots of swimming though, and will continue until I drop now. Am also doing lots of walking and continuing with the upper body, core, pelvic floor and back exercises too at home. Baby has been largely engaged for some time, and makes things a little more uncomfortable and miserable, so just playing by ear as to how I feel. Unlike you, I don't enjoy the baby moving I'm afraid, and never have, particularly now they very large and slightly discomforting movements due to no room image I am making a point of doing something exercise wise each day though, as finds it makes me feel less tired and lathargic, and makes me sleep a bit better at night, which is also now more uncomfortable and frustrating. I'm also quite bored now as not used to having no work, study, housework or running to do! I've tried baking but too successful as not really my thing. That's why I have to go out the house, even if it is pouring down, a bit chilly and round the block image I have resorted to my more femine side and doing some cross-stitch! lol Apparently, my evening meals are a little more 'exciting' now too 9according to my husband)!

Anyway,always great to hear from others in same position. I will keep you posted on any news. In the meantime, happy running, walking, swimming and pelvic flooring to everyone image

Take care,

Emz

• Hello,

Oooh, must check that out - great advice there. Makes sense to do that. Sorry to hear re the SPD. All OK here, thanks. Am still running, five miles my longest run at the moment though. Still cycling to work (not as much as I was though), will probably stop soon though, with the dark nights. Going to start going to a pregnancy yoga class, which am looking forward to. On the whole just taking it pretty easy, but still getting my exercise fix.

Am loving feeling the baby move too!  

• Wow 40 weeks, how exciting! Hope things happen soon, I was early with my first so never made it that far! Good luck with the walking, swimming etc- I couldn't agree more! The day my waters broke with my first I had been on a rather slow but long walk round the common, footpaths etc and like you think it is important to get out of the house and do something. You'll probably find the se is true afterwards too- from about day 5 my aim for very day apart from feeding and nappy changing was to get out and wall the dog everyday, it really helps your mood when tou're feeling tired, grumpy and clueless about what to do with a crying baby!

Hope all goes well for you, keep us posted,

Xx
  • Not long to go now then! How exciting! 

xx

• Hi Ladies can I join you.

I am only 8 weeksish with my second, so early days yet, but hoping to keep up with running for as long as possible.  I generally run a 10k one evening a week, do Parkrun on a Saturday morning and sometimes a locally organised timed 5k on a Sunday morning.  Family commitments mean that my husband & I have to have a rota system for getting out during the week so my chances to get out are limited to when it is my 'turn'.

I managed to run until around 20 weeks, just after, with the first so will see how it goes.  I've managed to pull? Strain? a muscle in my bum recently though so that has meant taking it easy for the past few weeks.  I did my 10k last Tuesday & Parkrun Saturday, but it is quite sore still.  I know I should probably rest it, but feel so much worse if I don't get out & do something.  might just do 5k or so tonight & see how it goes.

Congratulations to you all on your pregancies, hope all is going well & look forward to the chat & support on the board.

Lx 

• Good to hear from you, Lynda!

• Hi everyone, I hope you and bumps are all ok, and Emma has had her baby and all is well.

Unfortunately it seems like a 5K run on Sunday was my last run at 24 weeks image I'm sad as apart from the SPD I am fine and didn't feel ready to stop, but after a good 5K on Sunday the SPD suddenly got much worse and I was literally unable to walk.  It is getting much better and can walk even though it is uncomfortable.  The gynae physio was helpful and after some re-alignment, more exercises and some advice I am feeling better but she emphasised the importance of not stopping exercise completely else the pelvis could well get worse as I lose the core/pelvic muscle strength holding it together, so i've been thinking of trying to sort out some low impact but good exercise.  This morning I went swimming and despite thinking I hate swimming I actually quite enjoyed it and I might start going to a spinning class once a week too, on top of walking the dog hopefully this will be ok so I am feeling more positive about not running until next year!

I hope you are all ok?

Em

• Sorry to hear that, Em. Spinning is brilliant exercise. I was also surprised to find out that I quite liked swimming when I started doing it after an injury a few years ago. Watch out re breastroke - I think I've read that it can exacerbate pelvis pain. Do check though. All OK here, bad cold means I haven't done anything, exercise-wise, for a week. Hope to get going again when I'm feeling more myself.

Am now 27 weeks and love feeling the baby move so much. Am getting excited about impending arrival, as is the slightly-shocked-father-to-be! Am ridiculously over-excited about Xmas too - it'll be our first one, just the two of us!  

• It's all so exciting isn't it?! Christmas just the two of you sounds lovely too.  

You're right about breaststroke and that worried me as I am a bit of a rubbish swimmer and not good at front crawl, in the end I did some breast stroke but with kind of narrowed movement- I could feel if i was opening legs to wide! And some breast stroke arms with front crawl/doggy paddle legs, ha ha, I must have looked ridiculous! The physio said to alternate with backstroke but I discovered I can't do backstroke! I haven't been spinning for years as I'm not a massive fan of the small swetty spinning studio but you are right it is fab for the legs so I'm going to go once a week I think. image

I hope your cold gets better soon and you can get back out again soon,

Em

• Thank you! I'm on the mend.

I'm embarrassed to admit that I can't do front crawl! I was a bit worried about doing too much breastroke, so I alternated with paddling with a float (something physio once told me to do). How embarrassing! I'm going to try aquaareobics next week. Something yuo'd consider?!

• Hi Guys,

Hope all going well.

Just to let you all know that I finally had my baby at 41 weeks! I had a little boy on Tuesday 2nd October image He called Miles and weighed 8lb 1oz! A lot larger than anyone had predicted due to my small and compact bump!  My birth wasn't quite as plain sailing as my pregnancy, however I was determined not to have a c-section as was threated with towards the end, and I didn't image Means I will be able to start running again in another 5 weeks or so. Keeping fit, healthy and strong right up to the last minute in pregnancy defianately helped with a more difficult birth and what looks like hoing to be a speedy recovery. I did a four mile walk the morning I went into labour, with an hours swim and a 5k walk the day before. So keep it going ladies.

Emz

• Congratulations, Emma! What a fab name! Sorry to hear the birth was a bit tricky, but well done on sticking to your guns and I wish you a speedy recovery! Thanks for the encouragement too - it'd be easy to retreat to the sofa when the weather is this bad!

Stay in touch?

Nicky   

• Hello! I'm new to the thread... 23 weeks with first.. Really grateful for your comments on different things but especially spd- was running 40miles a week until last week, much slower than usual but determined through the sickness to keep going and enjoying it again once that got better.. But then I got what felt like groin strain 10 das ago.. Everyone saying to stop running but v hard- esp when sitting can make it hurt, and no-one ever says stop sitting?! Took several days off which I never do, but it didn't get much better, so doing short runs which don't seem to make it worse. Going to get a turbo trainer to get more exercise in- so hard to just stop, I'm a bit of a running addict.. So its encouraging to know that maybe I don't need to stop completely but just ease up (a lot probably!). Any advice gratefully received! Feels like ligament pain/swelling in the groin rather than anything else.. Maybe I should try some pilates? hard to believe my body will go back to normal again after feeling so sick and big and pains everywhere!
  • Thank you happygonicky. The name Miles was influenced by all the running I did before and during my pregnancy. Once he in a running buggy, he will joining me again for many more image.

I'm recovering very well, so should be able to go for my first post-natal jogs/runs in about 5 weeks time. I'm already making sure I get out and do some walking each day. I think all the running and fitness during pregnancy definatley helps with recovering well too. So keep it going.

I will stay in touch, however, should probably move over to the pregnant mums forum now too, where I hope you'll join me soon too.

Take care, and happy running

Emz

• Good luck with motherhood and getting back into running (in good time). See you on the other thread soon!

• Hi Ladies,

Haven't been on here for a while. I had to stop my running at 28w (am now 35+2) because of some pretty bad right sacro-iliac pain which developed into more general PGP - saw the physio who again was lovely and encouraging about how much i had done up to now and that it would have happened anyway (I am a bit hypermobile). Had the giant tubigrip and S-I joint mobilising exercises to do and I have had to stop work. I  started swimming and I too was crap at front crawl initially but without being able to do breast-stroke I have just had to get better at it. With practice and some coaching from my dad I can do a pretty decent attempt - it's hard work though but at least I feel like I am getting a work out and it doesn't aggravate the SPD. I am so worried that my pelvis will be worse post-delivery and my plans to get back to running in time for the GMR in May will be trashed. Core and pelvic floor ++, carrying on with the swimming and getting out for walks with Jnr and with a bit of luck I'll be back pounding the asphalt by January

xxx

• Hi Running Bean,

Well done on carrying on for so long though - and for mastering front crawl! SPD largely goes away straightaway after the birth doesn't it? Am sure you'll be back on the roads by Jan.

Not long now! How're you feeling? Excited?!  

Am 28+3 and still plodding along. Pelvis and back very quick to let me know if I've over-done it though, so am down to running every other day at the moment. Am happy just to be able to do this and am keen not to overdo it and then have to stop altogether. Have stopped cycling to work too. Dark nights and busy London roads too big a risk, I felt. Am doing pilates and pregnancy yoga too. Life in the slow lane. Don't mind though!        

• The PGP should go post-delivery - sometimes the hormones you release while breastfeeding keep it going a bit. With hindsight I might have stopped running a bit sooner but I was just stubborn enough to think I could run through it. Trouble is that the pain is not immediate but comes on a few hours after exercise. I was sore after the swimming yesterday so am going to have to put less effort into the legs and do 90% in the arms when I go again. I'm also going to leave it til Thurs instead of going tomorrow as planned.

Some of the pregnancy yoga I was doing was inadvertently aggravating it too. I have had to accept a lot of limitations. Will all be worth it in the end! 

I am excited but very apprehensive at same time. We've waited 8 years to get to this point so am scared of something going wrong at the last minute. Being on mat leave helps a lot though. Sitting at a desk for 8 hours a day does nothing for a bad back!

• Eight years! You're almost there. I'm starting to realise that this parenthood business is all a big worry though. In pregnancy you worry about getting to the next 'stage' then, when the child is born you worry about illness, are they developing as they should... right up to the teen years and beyond!

Agree. I'm hoping maternity leave gives my back bit of a break, to be honest. God knows how many years sat at a desk! I'm off to pregnancy yoga tonight. I'm hoping it evolves into a bit more yoga and stretching and a bit less talking and relaxing. I may have chosen the wrong class!

• I've found pregnancy yoga is a bit like that, not much yoga, more an extended antenatal class with a lot of chatting - mildly disappointing.

I'm off to see a physio again in the morning to get some more help with the spd from a sports physio who am hoping will get me back running as soon as is sensible post-natally.

• A great plan; getting yourself checked out before you start again. I've got that in mind post-birth too.

I do feel a bit better for the yoga last night and the pilates this morning, was feeling very stiff. Definitely wish there was less chatting though!  

• Think SPD is kicking in for me too image

• I think I might have to give in too. Feeling lucky I can still cycle, and started enjoying it too. Midwife suggested I go to gp and get referred to physio for the groin pain, but I think all they would say is don't run? I sort of already know that, just finding it hard to do!

Love the name Miles for a running baby, congratulations!
  • Hi everyone, I delievered my beautiful baby girl, Simona on Sept 20th. I had some complications during the natural delivery process so Ive had to stay off my feet for about 4 weeks. Simona is well and eating heartily! Ive not resumed running - mostly, im afraid for the lack of time to do this and also with a pram? We invested in the Quinny running pram (with bigger wheels) so i have to try this...My baby may be a tad bit to young to take her in the pram when i go running..so I may be limited to the weekends only..Any tips or advice?

Hope you all are well!

Sonitaimage

• Congratulations on the birth of Simone, Sonita! A very lovely name. Sorry to hear re complications, hopefully you'll be back on your feet soon. From what I hear, you can't run with babies in prams until they're six months. It's to do with neck support.

I've managed to get a cancellation gynae physio slot tomorrow, so will see what they say. Am expecting some glam tubigrip and exercises! I'm thrilled to have an appointment so quickly because the pain has been pretty bad, but am a bit gutted I'm not going to be able to do much. That said, when walking for a few minutes is painful, I'm just going to have to deal with it!  

• Thanks, happygonicky....i didnt know about the 6 months..well, i guess ill have to make do with the weekends and then find sometime in the mornings before my husband is off to work...its getting dark early so i cant do the night runs..not very safe...I live in Portugal by the way...

I had some complications bec the docs didnt remove all the placenta..and had to undo some stitches!!! crazy...

hope you feel better soon....good thing you are resting...take care

• I guess it's some 'me time', not ideal first thing in the morming though. I'll be in exactly the same boat.

Arghh. Thats sounds horrible. Hope you heal soon.

• yup..one does feel caged....they are angels but for very active folks like us, its hard to sit put at home every day without running, except on weekends...