Pregnant runners' club

Comments

• ****healing*** not Ealing blooming iPhone!
  • Eek! Two days before J's arrival! Great to get to meet him quickly, must have been a bit gutting not to have had a bit of time to yourself though! 

Glad the healing process is going well! Knees are generally complicated, aren't they? They seem to show signs of wear and tear more than other bits of the body, don't they?

• So relieved to find this post! I'd looked on mumsnet and stuff to find running or exercise related posts and they are few and far between!

I'm only 4 months, so still have a way to go. Anyone got any running whilst pregnant tips? 
    PS This is my first!

• Ps (again) My bf ordered me some clothes from this site and they are GREAT. Can already tell that they're going to be a godsend when my bump gets bigger, they already feel nice and supported.
    Hope this helps any other running mums-to-be out there!
     http://www.fittamamma.com/section.php/2/1/fittawear 

• Hi Run2Mum, 

Congratulations! Listen to your body would be my main advice. If you're knackered, rest up, but otherwise enjoy it. Cherry Baker's Pregnancy & Fitness is superb. I found Fit & Fabulous great for maternity running/gym gear.  

• Hi, I'm posting this message using my husbands account as I'm after some advice and from reading the recent posts am sure you can help!

I've just found out I'm pregnant so literally just 5 weeks. I've been running for the last 5 years although not always solidly - a few breaks here and there for a couple of months. Since April though I,ve run normally 3 times a week, taken part in an off-road 10km and run at the furthest 9 miles. I am signed up to do the bath half, which I am reluctant to pull out of as I'm doing it for charity but am wondering whether I should really be training for a longer distance than I currently run? I have done a half before but was a few years ago now. Does anyone know if there are there lots of 'walkers' who do the bath half, as im happy to jog/walk it? All being well I'll be about 13/14 weeks by race day.

Thanks for any help!
  • Hi Mrs James Smith 66 - congratulations on your news! I was in a very similar position to you when I found out I was pregnant at 5 weeks, and was planning to run a half at 11 weeks. I fully intended to run it, but I found I was so exhausted from about 8 weeks that I just couldn't face training for it let alone running the race. Everyone is different though, so you might find you're totally fine.

I would say there are always loads of walkers (and very slow runners) at any race - if the Bath half course is still the same as when I did it a few years ago, it is made up of two laps of more or less the same route so you can always drop out if you don't feel too good.

Even if you do feel a bit ropey for a few weeks, don't lose heart. Once the fog of the first trimester lifted, I had much more energy and I'm still running (albeit short distances, very very slowly) at 22 weeks. 

Good luck! 

• Thank you so much for the above info - I will just see how things progress and how I feel. If I'm feeling alright perhaps I'll do it in a costume so there's a good excuse to be slow!
  • Good luck, I think just go with how you feel & don't put too much pressure on yourself to do it if you are not feeling like you can, if you do it, just enjoy it and go as fast/ slow as you feel comfortable & have lots of water with you. I only ran up until 25 weeks due to awful pelvic girdle pain but wish I could've kept going for longer. image
  • Hello ladies, I thought I would pop in and say hello. I'm due on 28th July, so I'm just about coming up to 14 weeks. I wanted to run throughout my pregnancy if I could, but I've been suffering terribly with nausea during the first trimester. I've been able to mostly keep eating, but I've really been struggling with drinking as anything liquid seems to make the nausea much worse. I've never struggled to drink water before, but the last few weeks have been pretty miserable. I've been managing to drink enough to keep myself out of hospital, but have been feeling so rough that running just hasn't seemed possible...and probably not safe if I can't keep hydrated! image I keep being told that the nausea should clear off soon, and I am wondering whether I will be able to get running a little bit before bump gets uncomfortable. The only thing I was really wondering was whether the lay off has been too long...everything I've read seems to agree that you are ok to continue with exercise at the same rate as what you were doing before (as long as you feel up to it). I suppose my question is...does 9-10 weeks off (my last run was 2nd December) mean that I shouldn't be starting up again now? Will it be too much? I'm not talking running miles and miles...I was averaging 3-5 miles per run before I stopped. Did anyone else stop during the firs trimester, and then pick it up again in the 2nd?

Thanks so much for andy advice, and I hope all you ladies are well.

Erika

• Have you tried fizzy water Erika?  I always preferred that for some reason when I was pregnant.  If you feel okay I would try one of your normal runs a bit slower than normal and see how it goes.  Good luck!

• Thanks for the tip Kinsey...I can sometimes stomach fizzy water better, particularly with a bit of lime in it. I could do without the extra gas though image

• Erika, like you I stopped running in the first trimester due to morning sickness. I ran a marathon at 4 weeks and was absolutely fine, but by 6 weeks I stopped running completely. I was just feeling too nauseous and sick. This got better around week 16 but I didn't run again until 18 weeks. I only did small distances: 2.5 to 3 miles, but it was a start. The long break meant I was a bit out of shape but it didn't cause me any problems. I'm now up to 6.5 mile runs (at 21 weeks) and I'll probably stay at that distance. I'd say go slow, run on the flat and listen to your body. If it doesn't feel right then stop, your body will soon tell you if it doesn't like what you are doing.

Good luck!

Emma
  • Thanks Emma. I'm hoping that I can drink enough today to go for a little 'run' round the block tomorrow, just to see how it feels and to guage just how much of my fitness I've lost. Weather forecast looks good, and a little milder so no ice to slip on. Would be good just to get some fresh air! image

• Hi.  This thread is brilliant.  I was happily clocking 40 miles a week including a 20miler each weekend training for the Cotswold Ultra and the VLM when I have discovered that I am pregnant.  I am still running quite happily without discomfort although its obvious now that I am sharing my air supply and if i'm hungry it feels like a national emergency!  I have assumed that the ultra is a big no no mainly because its off road rather than specifically the distance (ultras are much slower and you walk/run them)however I was wondering is the VLM is still viable.  Has anyone run a long distance or specifically a marathon whilst pregnant?  I will be about 18 weeks.  I understand that hydration is important, I presume I cant have gels due to caffine and I realise that it will be a sight seeing plod not a race but is it ok?  I also assume that the midwife has to say yes!  I don't want to do anything silly but I could run a marathon tomorrow fitness wise so its not as though I have to train up, only maintain.  Any advice would be great,  Thanks

• Hi ladies.

Shelly, I've never run a marathon in my life, so I can't really give you any advice. Everything I've read suggests that if you are already training at a certain level, you can carry on as long as you feel ok. So, if you are marathon fit I don't see why you wouldn't be able to do it. I spoke to my midwife and GP about running and they said the important things to watch are that you don't get too hot, you don't push yourself beyond being able to chat whilst running and that you are sure to keep on top of hydration. Why don't you talk it through with your midwife/GP?

I managed a very short plod round the block yesterday. It felt like quite hard work, and I had to keep bringing it back down to a walk because I was feeling breathless. Still, the first time out in 10 weeks was never going to be easy. 

Hope everyone is ok?

• Thanks for this Mingo.  Yes I am going to chat with them.  Still plodding along quite happily and if anything it clears the stress away from a working day so mentally its a good thing as long as I don't do speed work.  I have however stopped running on my own and always carry water now...ha ha my poor husband is now getting very fit image

• Hi I'm usually a mum's running club forumite but thought i should pop back here given I'm 22 1/2 weeks pregnant.

I'm 38, in Edinburgh unsurprisingly, have a 5yr old daughter Louise and am after a fair struggle and eventually resorting to ivf pregnant once again.

It's probably fair to say that I'm not exactly running at the moment - did London last year and injured myself in the process. Injury persisted most of the summer so was only doing 3 miles tops and then in oct I started ivf and was banned from exercise for fear of twisting my ovaries. Once I was preg I was hideously sick and only come out of that at 20 wks. Prob won't run til post preg now I guess but I miss it.

Anyway hello, that's me and hope you're all blooming image
  • Hello...we're very close. I was 23 weeks yesterday. 

Sorry to hear about the injury and the sickness. I'm still suffering from sickness, so I haven't been running either. I've been for a couple of swims in the last couple of weeks, ut it always leaves me completley wiped out. So much for blooming!

• Blooming awful is what I say! I'm not a swimmer, think old lady stylie with dry hair at the end but I did manage 30 lengths at center parcs last week. I could hardly hold my hair dryer after my arms were so knackered!
  • Ps you must be right on my sister's date, she's about 28/7. They said they'd have put me forward to that based on size of baby but as ivf they know it can't be any sooner.
  • Yep, 28th July. I expect baby will come when it like though!

• Hi there, new to RW and this forum, but am in need of some support and encouragement! I'm 16+3 and am struggling with any sort of activity at the moment. Feel really inspired to run, then I go to get changed, see the bed and want a nap! I've done less than 10 runs in the past three months, and apart from feeling very unfit, am starting to feel a bit wobbly around the belly, even though there isn't much of a bump to speak of.

Has anyone investigated bump support belts? I thought I might get one as a friend used one to keep running through pregnancy, but they look so ... surgical!

Hope you are all feeling ok these days?   

• Hello

I feel you on the tiredness. For some people it lifts and apparently you get lots of energy.  For others it doesn't. I feel like I could sleep all day and then some!

As far as bump support, I haven't tried anything yet, but a friend of mine was given this mahoosive tubi grip by a physio, so it might be worth seeing if you can get something like that at the chemist.

• Hello. I had to stop running at 17 wks last time due to back pain and this time I've just not been able to do a thing. Others have used a support belt I think, will ask the girls in the mums running club as some if them kept it up til 36 wks!
  • Hellooooooo!

Thought it was about time I got myself over here too - was sort of waiting for someone else from the 'other side' to post (waves to EF). Currently 7 weeks pregnant with my second. Little boy John-Paul is 5 (just a few months younger than Louise!). Have been trying for about 4 years but have had amenorrhea so it was nigh on impossible (although I did conceive JP with no periods, oddly). AF returned regularly in Jan, and here I am! Feeling distinctly yucky at the moment with sickness. Already feel a lot worse than first time around,so if the old wives' tales are to be believed, I am either having a girl or twins image Being sick if I eat more than a few mouthfuls so having lots of small snacks. Can't wait for it to pass - hope I don't still feel bad at 20 weeks, EF!!

Running was going really well before I conceived. Was averaging 25-30 mpw and felt great on it. I have been out a few times since I found out but at the moment it is an effort just to get out of bed... I carried on with JP until I was 11 days overdue (crazy lady!), albeit veeeeery slowly. I didn't use a support belt a lot as I found that it rubbed me and I ended up with friction burns! I found it helpful to buy running tights a size bigger and pull them right up over my bump for support. I also wore two sports bras.

Hope everyone is doing OK image
  • Hey tatty image good to see you over here. Need to tell Brookie as well. Sorry you're so sick. Much sympathy! I'm almost out of it. Still have odd moment but I think now caused by -TMI alert - tons of mucus which is coating my throat and makes me gag every so often. When will the misery end? Why can't I bloom?! I'm still eating too much but that's habit now rather than the necessity of the first 20 weeks. I'll be 24 weeks on Friday hurrah. Today however I am feeling lousy. Even left work early, 2.50pm, which I never actually do. I usually threaten to go but hang in there. Today tho I have such bad pain in the right side of my face that I had to go. It's just sheer pressure and my teeth feel like they might fall out!

I'm going to get back on my spin bike soon, honest, even tho running is a no. Back was killing me after 3 k fun "run" on sat. Plus after the first 200m I had to walk for fear of a we(e) accident!!
  • Hi

Hope you are all well, I've not posted for ages as I sadly lost my previous pregnancy at 13 weeks, but am now expecting again - fingers crossed all is well with this one.

Just looking for a bit of advice really, I'm 11 weeks and having trouble with breathlessness while running. Ive just been out for what was supposed to be a 10k but had to cut short and walk back as I literally felt like the air wasn't going into my lungs. I experienced similar on & off over the past couple of months, but put it down to the cold air when it was snowy/frosty out. Today has been really mild though so that can't be the issue & last week went out and ran my fastest time in ages - just don't know what is going on,

It's really frustrating though, just wondering if there is anything I can do or if anyone has an experience of this.

Thanks
  • Hi Lynda,

I'm sorry to hear about your previous pergnancy, but I am pleased that you are now expecting. I'm sorry, no tips on the breathlessness. Hope you're feeling ok otherwise?

My sickness still hasn't gone, and it seems in the last week or so to be getting worse. Combined with the hormonal tears, I'm a bit of a wreck. 25 and a bit weeks now, so I'm not sure this nausea is ever going to go.

• Hi Mingo

Sorry to hear your sickness is still with you at 25 weeks, fingers crossed it passes before too much longer. Mine is not too bad now - it tends to come in waves rather than being constant, but I'll be glad when its gone - think it was about 14 weeks with my daughter when I started feeling like an actual functional human being again!

The trouble is that to stop feeling ill I've been eating pretty much constantly - and it's not been good stuff either! Carbs, sugar, fat - running was my only hope so ill be gutted if this breathing issue means I can run anymore. Ill be the size of a whale!

Are you still managing to get out? Think I gave it up at around your stage last time as it was too uncomfortable running with the bump.

Hope you feel better soon

L x