Options

Cyprus International 4 day challenge

Comments

• Options

Well done with the 10k i've only just started getting my miles up because i was injured for about 6 mounths after i did my last marathon at cardiff last october. I've had 2 failed comebacks this year but now i've been training for 3 mounths now without any problem with my groin.

I did 10 miles on sunday 10k up hill in the treadmill yesterday and i did speed work in the park tonight so i'm starting to get back into shape.

Good luck with the hill training

• Options
    I really fancy this race but it looks a  bit expensive if we went for posh Hotel option how much total do you reckon for 2 adults for the week?
  • Options

About £780 each all together with half board insurance race entries and all the other crap that gets put on the total.

It cost me £920 all together doing the single i know its a lot of money but i was going to do it last year and i didn't and i was sorry.

• Options

Hi I did swinton half 2day and it was quite hilly it started as a training run but i am 2 competitive for that ended up getting 135.55

• Options

That is fast in my book - especially if hilly....I did 40 min hill run on the treadmill yesterday?!

An 8 miler for me this afternoon - about 9:23 min pace so Ok for me!  I ran a bit on holiday and in New Mexico the ranch I was at was at 5,000feet so a bit of altitude training!  Fast pace when chased by the local herd of cows!!! 

Only 9 weeks to the event I think now...

Zed

• Options
    That sounds like fun. a hill run on the treadmill 2night for me i think.
  • Options

Thanks Zed. I am new to this forum lark and didnt know which one to speak to.

I think you will enjoy it. Very friendly. It is tough though depending if you like running in the heat. See you there. I will have a Stroud vest on.

• Options
    Hi Gerard how hard is the 11k hill race then? I am not worried about the half or racing 4 days on the spin but the 11k sounds like a killer.
  • Options

There are just a few of us here Gerard...3 weeks until I fly out to Cyprus - my Grandmother (who lives in Limassol) says it is still very hot so I am hoping for it cooling a little but I think the races are early  in the day so that might work for us!!!

Ran a half marathon in 2hrs last sunday and the hill at mile 11 killed me....roll on 11km of hill running then?!  If I am slow up the hill then my brother might not run the whole way with me!

We are all staying at the Coral bay for the 4 days of the race..........tomorrow a long 8 miler I think....

Zed

• Options
    Well done on your half mara Zed You'll be ok for the 11k the first 3k is flat and then its 8k of hill i think so its just one hard as hell hour and i don't think the half marathon will be a problem.
  • Options

Tommy- its 3k reasonably flat and then a 8k relentless hill. Last year it was so hot with no cloud cover. I made it though- the slowest 11k of my life!

Zed- I did the Torfaen half last Sunday in 1:57. This is no way indicative of the Cyprus 1/2 which is effectively 6.5 straight up and 6.5 straight down.  It is also basically a trail race and rough underfoot. I became a bit of a celeb last year. Fell over on the downhill bit. Finished joint last and bleeding. Taken to hospital afterwards for stitches in the head. Good blackeye and swollen face but I ran the 10k next day.

A tip. Make sure you have insurance cover! I was glad I did 

• Options

Oh right - insurance I do have!!

I am kind of dreading the hills now........how much of a total uphill metres are they?!

Out for an 8 miler this morning...in sub 9 min miles and no sore knee so that was good.

GN2 - good time for Torfaen:  was it flat or hilly?

Zed

• Options
    600 metres you'll be ok i did 700 on the treadmill over 10k last week and i know it's not the same but it's just give that mental edge so i know i can dig deeper and get threw it.
  • Options

Tommy

Its the heat that will get you more than the actual uphill although that is tough.

Zed

Torfaen is a good one- downhill for the fist half but then undulates. Its easy to take the first half too fast.

Anyway I did the Tidworth 10k yesterday. Good trail training for Cyprus. Over the tank tracks on Salisbury plain. And it was warm!

• Options
    I'm not bad in the heat so i think i'll be ok but a bit of rain wouldn't go a miss.
  • Options

My Mum is just back from visiting my Gran'ma in Cyprus and says it was rather hot - high 20 degrees C come midday sun!

Never mind.  Going to do a hill run on the treadmill tomorrow so will see how many metres I climb.  Didn't think the terrain was that off road more tracks but from what you guys are saying it seems it will be.........yikes.... fun though!

Zed

• Options

My 6km treadmill run the other day was only 200m climb......oh well.  Bit steeper in Cyprus then.....will do a few more over last few weeks then!

Zed

• Options
    You'll be OK in Cyprus even if you have to stop and walk from time to time.
  • Options
    Hi guys i did 10 miles on Friday and 12 miles today i am starting to feel quite fit at the mo but i am still a Stone heavier than i was when i did my last marathon witch was last october.
  • Options

Some long runs there TTSN - nice one.

My brother (he is my running buddie for Cyprus) and I did did 5 miles today over the hills here in Northants.........a moral 7 mile run as we told ourselves!

I will do 10 miles perhaps Tuesday before work............................................

• Options

Just thought I would drop in .

Yikes, the 11km sounds like a killer.

I am way out of shape, and have never done this kind of run ning "holiday" before. Didn't read the blurb before i booked.

I only decided to do this to get me moving re Paris marthon in April, sounds as though I need to be in great shape to try this.

Anyhow, no point worrying about it now.

I'm staying on my own at the cheaper Coralia apartment, Monday to Monday from Heathow. Anyone else in that category.

Any decent bars round there, may aswell get my priorities right.

GRANT.

• Options

Grant If you don't try and race it and just use it as a training holiday you'll be fine just take it easy and walk up that hill if you have to because you wont be on your own. I find it hard to use a race as a training session as i am dead competitive with myself and more often than not i end up getting injured.

But on a more serious note i don't know any decent bars as I've never been to pathos before.

• Options
    I take it everyone is taking it easy now i did 10 miles yesterday and i think that will be my last longish run.
  • Options

Yes - am going to do 9 miles tomorrow and then that is me!  Ran a hill route with my brother last weekend and another shorter treadmill one this week.

Watching Scotland vs Italy tonight - come on the boys! 

I fly out next Saturday to Cyprus - my Gran'ma said on the phone today that it is to get cooler out there on Monday!  Might be a good thing for me running in cooler temps!

Arrive Coral Bay hotel the Wed night before the event.........must book a massage for after the half marathon run day!

Zed

• Options

Hi There

We are also doing the 4 day challenge,  My name is Sarah and the other half is Andy, We are flighting from Stanstead on the Tuesday, We are staying in the hotel next to the coral bay (the cheaper one).  Andy is doing the 4 dayer and Im only doing the 10k (im not fit enough for the whole thing), 

We are looking forward to this holiday, we have never been on a organised running hol before.   Hope to meet you all, Any idea how many normally run?

Cheers

Sarah and Andy

• Options

Hi Sarah,

My brother and I are running this year - our Gran'ma lives in Cyprus so that's our excuse.  I nearly did the 10k last year when I visited her but I was still recovering from the Chicago Marathon!

On the web it said there was 120 ran the event last year...............

I ran 13k on the treadmill on Sunday morning - watched Sky news 4 times over!!  It was so wet and horrible outside!  Roll on Saturday when I fly out....

Zed

• Options

anyone tell me what the half marathon watering stations are like - I think I read we just get water and fruit?!  I need some lucozade and so have bought a water bottle belt which I may wear for that race so I have some isotonic drink and room for a few jelly babies!

Fly out tomorrow so will send a weather report........

Zed

• Options
    No sorry zed have a safe gurney tomorrow you lucky git I'm not flying out until Wednesday.
  • Options

Well, i'm depressed. Soooo looking forward to this event. Fell over last week whilst running, had X ray and MRI scan. Severe ligament damage , and out for somewhere between 6 to 12 weeks.

Will be at Heathrow on Monday anyway, I;ve paid for the holiday after all. I'll be the one looking green with envy.

Enjoy your health.

Yours jealously

GRANT

• Options

Well, i'm depressed. Soooo looking forward to this event. Fell over last week whilst running, had X ray and MRI scan. Severe ligament damage , and out for somewhere between 6 to 12 weeks.

Will be at Heathrow on Monday anyway, I;ve paid for the holiday after all. I'll be the one looking green with envy.

Enjoy your health.

Yours jealously

GRANT