Cornwall recommendations

Looking to rent place in Cornwall in May for a week.

Will be looking for place nearish to sea (max 10-15 mins drive away) in area good for running preferably off road (eg on Sw coastal path). Will have young 3 year old with us so a few things for kids to do nearby would be great.

Has anybody got any suggestions for palces to go or even places to stay (self catering as easier on an evening with the monster in tow!)

Simon

Comments

• Looe.
    Great food, great for the kids, on the coastal path, near to Eden Project and Heligan, not far from other civilisation, even make it to Liskeard for swimming baths.

We don't go back to places once we have visited, but we have now been to Looe at August Bank Holiday for 2 years, and plan a return visit.
  • I styaed at the very bottom of Bodmin Moor last year in a little cottage that had been converted from a barn, and it was fab.

May have been a bit more than 10 mins drive to the coast, but the walks and runs out on the moor were excellent....

I think we found it through the Landmark Trust?
  • DustinDustin ✭✭✭
    Perranporth , right on the beach , can't go wrong.
  • Anywhere on Lizard peninsula, esp near Helford estuary area. Some fantastic subtropical National Trust gardens to wander round (Trebah and Glendurgan especially), coastpaths etc.

At the other end of the county, the Eden Project is as good as you've heard and better still.
  • DustinDustin ✭✭✭
    Dunno if the Eden Project is all that for a 3yo, we went this summer and took my two, (7 & 4) it had a limited appeal to both of them. And although it's worth visiting I don't know if I'd rush back....

My kids loved the sand, sea and rockpools, hence the proximity to a beach. and if the kids are happy......
  • Thanks everyone.

I think given the lad's age, proximity to the beach and the nearer the better is a must.

Dustin, was running ok from Parranporth? and any specific recommendations on where to stay eg self catering.

Blisters - where did you stay in Looe?

Ideal thing would be cottage as Muttley described but located walking distance to beach and near footpath for good running.

Simon

Simon
  • We stayed in my Aunt's second house in West Looe. The whole town is quite small, so if you approach the Tourist Information Office they will be able to provide lots of addresses.

Oh yes, the bird watching is great too, and the rock pooling fantastic, and the ice creams are divine.
  • If you're around the North coast, have a look at Trevose Head. There are six excellent sandy beaches, a golf club and lots of good coastpath running.

We go back every year to a camping & caravanning site there called Mother Ivey's Bay, which has it's own private beach (literally just two minutes walk away from the van we had this summer) which is sheltered from the Atlantic rollers (there's a lifeboat station the other side of the bay) and so is ideal for smaller kids.
  • I recommend the West Penwith peninsula.

[Victor Kiam]
    I liked it so much - I live there!
    [/Victor Kiam]

'tis "proper" Cornwall, you're never more than a couple of miles from the sea, and there are plenty of cool off road runs over the West Penwith Moors (just don't fall into any abandoned mine shafts).
  • DustinDustin ✭✭✭
    SiT -stayed at somewhere called John Fowler Perran Sands or something similar. Its all self catering, and while nothing special, it was functional, had a pool, and entertainment. OK really , took the kids there in the evening and we had a few drinks....
    About a 5 minute drive from perranporth beach, with loads of decent pubs/restaurants within easy reach (St Agnes)
    Nice running along the coastal path too.
  • HM4HM4 ✭✭✭
    There's a wonderful campsite in Tintagle. The Headland Campsite. The static vans they have are wonderful and resonably priced.