Nike "Cesium" (ANNAJO)

13»

Comments

• But this is what I don't understand. It's on sale at a few online shops that I know of. It's either released or not released.

Maybe it's a ploy to get us all worked up in anticipation ... but all it's doing is p*ssing me off.
  • Yeah, I thought it was out because I saw it for sale while looking for shoes at one of the "online shopping partners" listed on this site...
  • I bought a pair about two weeks ago. I just cant get on with them. As stated in previous threads feel like your running on the outside of the foot. The instep is too ghigh for me. Being new too running and having wore out my previous shoes, I read the report in RW and thought they would be good. But they don't suit me.
    Will have to put them on e-bay. They have done about 70 miles. If anyone is interested let me know.
  • Ah well, I need 12's. You could try Ebay-ing them.
  • Muttley - the Cesium is coming into two Sweatshops sometime this month. I'm not 100% sure which ones, but I'm guessing Harrods and Teddington....
  • which means that if you ask me old buddies in Reading, they should be able to get hold of a pair in your size by ordering it from either of the above
  • Ta for that NFRR (you got insomnia or something, posting at that time of night?)

I was in there just t'other day and was told it could be months before they even see a Cesium ... but with the inside knowledge ... I'll go hassle them :-)
  • I saw a pair at Walsall Sports & Soccer, £84.99. Unfortunately they didn't have right size, and I don't like buying from these stores, so will wait till swshp gets them in. Nice feel to them, just a little too small at 9 and too large at 10, and they didn't have half sizes in stock!!!!
  • MacMac ✭✭✭
    Well I've ran in them a bit now! Although not as much as I should as I've had a back injury!
    However I have found a few things to be worth mentioning...

1/ They are VERY comfortable and due I presume to the side lacing style they are not prone to feeling "tight" across the top of the foot/bony part! Unless you really do over tighten.

2/ The size 10 was too small (length) and I sent them back for a pair of 10.5's. Much better.

3/ So far I have not experienced any significant effects from not wearing my orthotics and the big toe blister problem has so far not re-occured! However I have experienced a little "burning" sensation on the front of my right arch which can sometimes be an indication of developing blisters! No blisters though. This "burning" feeling followed by an actual blister is what occured on longer runs before I started using orthotics.
    I have not really run properly though or done any runs over 7 miles for quiet a while and not with these shoes.I will relay further observations as and when I notice them. 1st impressions though are that these shoes are very good indeed and although no shoe will work for everyone they will no doubt answer a lot of peoples prayers for a shoe that will help them ditch the orthotics!

4/ Although the insole is not removeable the shoe is VERY deep and will accomodate some orthotics if not too bulky and I personally have a pair of Neone Carbon full length insoles in and theres still bags of room! Wouldn't have been with the size 10's though. By the way the shoes still fit snugly even without the extra insoles.

Any questions just ask and I'll try to answer.

Mac.

(By the way Annajo never did come in on this did she?)
  • MacMac ✭✭✭
    By the way, the Neone Insoles are the "Atlas" Carbon type which are more substantial than the plain Neone insoles.

Just thought i'd be specific.

Mac
  • annajoannajo ✭✭✭
    I've just spotted this thread!! sorry mac, missed it first time round, I've just had a read through and I'm glad you got sorted out. I'd love to try these shoes myself actually, wish they'd release a ladies version as the men's are always too wide for me.

Nike have done a lot of research into this shoe but the end result appears to be very similar to Mizuno's motion control devices, i.e. tilting an overpronated (flat) foot to a more neutral angle before it hits the ground.

I haven't seen the shoe yet but I do have inside information at stock in Sweatshop, there is (Very limited) stock in Mail Order, so it is possible to get it sent to your local sweatshop, it will be a big help if you give them a call beforehand to check availability on your size and give them the code 00303100. That code is on the sweatshop website as well (www.sweatshop.co.uk) as are phone numbers for the Sweatshop shops.

Cheers NFRR by the way for posting on this thread in my absence
  • MuttleyMuttley ✭✭✭
    Boing!

Just bought a pair, finally, in my local running retailer (Sweatshop Reading). Nice young chap there said I could try them on the treadie a couple of times and bring them back if I don't get on with them, so I decided to punish the plastic.

Impressions from a very brief test jog in the shop and up the pavement outside:
    - sizing seems true. I'm a 10.5 in most, and in these too;
    - as Mac says, very deep and even "baggy" fit but foot doesn't seem to slide around;
    - very light indeed, not at all like usual motion control housebricks;
    - a feeling when running quite unlike any other shoe I've had. I can feel it propping the foot up and outwards. Forefoot feels very different too. And that weird lacing system.

Too early for definitive conclusions, but initial feeling in the water is positive. Will say more once I've got more to say :-)
  • MuttleyMuttley ✭✭✭
    Another thought: I wonder how long the support features in this shoe will last. I log all my shoes' mileages (sad, I know) and dump them at 500 or so as recommended. I assume the same applies to the Cesium, unless anyone knows different?
  • I've just received my copy of the new RW and there's still no review of the Cesium. Why not? It's unorthodox shoes like this that need thorough testing.

For the time being the plucky Muttley is our only guinea pig. Keep us posted, Muttley.
  • My first comment is a bit of a warning. I paid for my pair of Cesiums with my own cash, so I'm predisposed to favor the shoes. Also, running shoes are clearly a very personal piece of gear, so your mileage will certainly vary. With those warnings out of the way, I can say in summary that I really like the Cesiums. Here are the details.

Background

I'm 5'8", 155 lbs, with large flat feet. I've been running for several years and am middle of the pack at best (50:00 to 55:00 typical for a 10K). My main shoe for the past several years has been the ASICS Gel Kayano, but the 2006 model changed the fit (as well as the midsole) and was causing me blisters. Thus the search for a new shoe. As expected for a flat-footer, I definitely over-pronate and rely on stability or motion control shoes. In addition to the Kayanos, I've got a spare pair of Pearl Izumi SynchroFrames and Reebok Premier Trail GTX for winter and rainy days.

Motion Control

As you can read about on the various web sites selling these shoes, the Cesiums have an unusual approach to motion control. I'm not competent to give a technical description (though you can read the material elsewhere on the web), but they do feel and act differently. For me, the shoes were quite uncomfortable to walk or stand around in; running, however, was quite another matter. On the road, the Cesiums were usually extremely comfortable, giving me a nice soft landing and takeoff. To evaluate the effectiveness of their motion control, I have to rely on the running store salesman who watched me run in the Cesiums and (for comparison) a new pair of Kayanos. He said that the Cesiums were clearly correcting my over-pronation much better.

One manifestation of the Cesium's approach to motion control is the different feeling you get while running. With traditional motion control shoes, it seems like the shoe is simply guiding your foot to correct form. With the Cesiums, I felt like the shoes were giving me feedback on my form. I could feel it when I was over-pronating and was able to consciously adjust my stride to self-correct. The difference isn't as dramatic as it sounds from reading, but it was subtly there. In addition to feedback on pronation, I felt like the Cesiums were also providing feedback on heel strikes. Again, I felt like I could feel myself losing form and could self-correct.

[cont'd ...]
  • [...]

The only time I found the Cesiums to be even slightly uncomfortable was during the first few minutes of a brick run after a long (3+ hour) bike ride. I noticed this effect several times, though not after a shorter (1 hour) bike ride. As many triathletes will admit, this is the absolute worst time for running form, and I'm no exception. I interpret this problem to my form being so bad that the Cesiums couldn't cope. Once I got into the run, though, my form straightened out and the Cesiums felt fine. This problem doesn't appear to be related to fatigue, as I had no problems with 3 hour runs in the Cesiums (even towards the end).

Cushioning

I found the Cesiums to offer considerable cushioning. Perhaps not quite as much as previous year's Kayanos, but definitely more than the 2006 Kayano (which is supposed ASICs most cushioned model).

Weight

Based on comparisons with other motion control shoes, the Cesiums are extremely light. I'm not a competitive enough runner to worry too much about a few less grams, but I did feel a little more "spritely" when running in the Cesiums.

Fit

The Cesiums fit very wide and even loose. There's plenty of room in the toe box, and the fit is even loose around the ankles. (My wife noted that they looked like they didn't fit.) I've heard second-hand that this is deliberate on Nike's part. It certainly hasn't caused me any problems while running.

Miscellaneous

The Cesiums have a lacing system that routes the laces through the tongue in one direction. One consequence is that I've found that elastic laces (Speed Laces, iBungees, etc.) don't work very sell with the Cesium. The routing through the tongue creates lots of extra friction, and I found it impossible to get elastic laces to distribute their tension evenly. Regular laces (which are stock on the shoes) work fine. Also, the unusual lacing doesn't seem to cause any serious problems attaching footpods. My Polar pod mounted without a problem; presumably the Suunto and Nike pods would as well.
  • So, Muttley, a month on...

How are you getting on with your Cesiums?
  • MuttleyMuttley ✭✭✭
    Pretty well, actually!

I gave them some blasts on the treadie and have taken them for a few outside jaunts as well. They certainly seem stable. I don't sense the pronation especially in my right foot as I do with some other shoes. They're an odd fit (with no insoles or tongues) but although they seem loose my foot doesn't slide about.

They're also ultra-light and "close to the road", not as plush as I'm used to. Not yer traditional motion control housebricks. I'm using them for shorter faster runs and speedwork so far - because they're so radical I haven't yet entrusted long runs or high mileage to them (nothing over 10 miles yet). I'll keep rotating them with my other shoes and gradually bring them to the fore.

Note, however, that a wee bit back on the Gear forum you'll find a thread by Mac wondering if the Cesiums and their different control methods have sparked off an injury in him.

I've had no problems and am well pleased. But this is definitely a shoe to try at the shop before you buy.
  • Thanks, Muttley.

The Cesiums are finally in stock at SBR in Oxford, so I'll try them on the treadmill on Thursday.
  • I`ve just brought a pair on ebay for £35 new and boxed. hope they are as good most of the feedback I`ve read.