Options

Dewsbury 10K - 5 Feb 06

Several club mates seemed to run very fast times here last year - is this a particularly quick course? And how's the start - easy to get away?

Comments

• Options
    It's definitely a fast course, fater than the Leeds Abbey dash.
    Fairly easy to get away at the start as there are a lot less runners, about 1000. You might lose a few seconds at the start.
    Turn at the half way point is tight, as you basically run down one side of the street and then back down the otherside.
  • Options
    Hi Andy, from memory I would say that the start is a bit iffy, crowded streets and low level bollards then first half of the course has a steady incline but you get to turn round and do the second half on the decline. It's mine and hubby's PB course at the mo so can't be too bad.
    If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.
  • Options
    It is if you move your legs quickly:-)
  • Options
    Seriously, you need to get near the front. Then everyone hares off far too quickly as the street narrows in the 1st km. After that you can roll past people all the way out, then dig in and hurt on the way back.

Yes I think it is slightly faster than Leeds.
  • Options
    I missed Leeds on Sunday as my wife was doing it, and so picked this out as a fast one for the end of my first month of FLM training. It fits in to the RW training schedule perfectly. Anyone else (apart from Andy?) doing it for the same reason?
  • Options
    Simon - Several of my mates from work are doing it as Abbey Dash inspired them to get out and do some more - couple after PBs - one looking to get under 50 (TPL who posts here sometimes) and another girl who never thought she'd get anywhere near a 10k and did Abbey Dash in 1:23 and is looking to get under 75 mins - that's what's so top about running - we all have something to chase, whatever our standard.
  • Options
    I'm doing it as part of my FLM preparation.

Top race with all the important things right.
  • Options
    Are you doing FLM for charity, BR? How much do you have to raise? ;-)
  • Options
    I'm also doing it as part of my FLM preparation, although would have probably done it anyway.
    Also doing the Brass Monkey HM,and then probably the Ackworth HM. It's either that or doing Wilmslow again.
    I got into London through the ballot this year. 2 time out of 5 attempts.
  • Options
    Andy - Agree with your comments. This time last year my wife said she would never run a race, yet on Sunday she was disappointed at not beating her 10K pb. At last she's starting to understand!

I'm hoping to join you in a sub 40 - obviously will never aspire to BR's times though!

Sad Runner - I have entered Wilmslow; you sound like you're trying to avoid it. Is there a problem with it?
  • Options
    Simon,
    Nothing wrong with Wilmslow, I might even do it again myself as it's two weeks earlier than Ackworth.
    Fine course, probably a few too many people, and after doing it the last two years probably know the course a little too well, so if was a choice between this and another HM would do the other just for variety.
    I also live in Chesterfield so whilst Wilmslow is not that far away, it takes quite a long time to get there because I have to cut through the Peak District.
  • Options
    I'm a big fan of this race. I've recorded two PBs and a Course Best the three times I've run it. I'm 46 and didn't start racing until my late 30s, and I'm still recording times which are as fast know as then. I ran the Abbey Dash in 41.51 on Sunday, which was my second fastest time ever, but an agonising nine seconds outside my World Record (I prefer that to "Personal Best"!)I take my hat off to all the folk who organise races, especially this one. It's not the most picturesque, but who cares? It's fast and flat! And last year it had a real comedian as a starter - "don't stop in Batley, they'll have your trainers!"
  • Options
    echo the above. faster than Leeds AD. Very very gradual rise to the half way point, but then very very gradual drop all the way to the finish. None of the small dips and rises that Leeds has, nor a tricky loop round a part.

Guaranteed negative split unless you set off like a lunatic at the start.

Won't be doing it next year though as got marathon 5 weeks after so will be doing more than 10k
  • Options
    I enjoy Wilmslow, but there's a 20miler in Morecambe th same day, which works better as FLM preparation for me.
  • Options
    Sounds good to me. Although I am in Stockport I think this is definitely worth a go. Fits into FLM training plan - need to ensure a sub 40 though!

I will also be doing Wilmslow again.
  • Options
    Looking forward to this again. It's fast and well organised. And LMH, those darn bollards!
    caught me surprise last year.
    It's my PB course too and it will be good to run it without working nights the day before.
  • Options
    this sounds good, doing it with a few friends and hoping it'll me keep running over christmas and new year
  • Options
    That's me doing it also! Only got 37.20 to beat! Hmmmmm.......
  • Options
    All sounds very promising to get that sub 50 for me - if I can get a good start. If there's any one else out there who trying to run/runs around this time, pls let me know as I'd enjoy the company (I won't talk but we can keep each other going)!
  • Options
    I'm thinking of going for the Dewsbury 10k but entry fee is £14 for "non affiliated".
    Quite expensive for a regional race.
    Must be a good T-shirt...

Mike
  • Options
    Hi I'm thinking of doing this race but I'm pretty slow..my last 10km time 6 months ago was 70mins, a PB for me, but I havn't done alot of training since due to illness. I'll probably be lucky to get a time of 80-90 mins..will I be the slowest by a long way or are there a few slow coaches to keep me company?

Thanks
  • Options
    The last person's time for the 2005 race was 92 minutes so you should be okay Krusty.

This is a faster 2nd half as you come back down hill to the finish - just keep plugging away!
  • Options
    cool bananas..I'll enter then..someone has to be last afterall
    Thanks
  • Options
    took part in 2005, nice t-shirt, well organised, quick race ... flat/gradual uphill first half, flat/gradual downhill second half .... think my times were 25mins (1st half), 21 mins (2nd half) .... don't expect to get carried away with the scenery though !
  • Options
    I have never taken part in a local race before (the only one I have done is the Great North Run). I am bit anxious about finishing near the end - is that a problem ? Please lie if you need to and say no and then I will enter !!!
  • Options
    Provided the gear box doesn't fall off the car on the way like last year, I'll be doing this.

Jez, as someone once said on this forum, even if you finish last in a race, you've still beaten the person on the sidelines cheering, the people up the road shopping in Tescos, never mind those still in bed. It isn't a problem finishing near the end at all. Besides, this looks like a fairly big local race so there'll be lots of people at the back. Why not enter now? I bet you won't regret it...
  • Options
    The last few messages have encouraged me to enter, but I'm am very nervous as I've done the Race for Life, but no 10ks. I "ran" 10k for the first time last week and took about 85mins. The last 2k must have taken me about 20mins, so I was really struggling by then, so I stand good a chance of being last I guess, but as Plodder says I'll be in company. Anyway, what the hell, someone has got to be last, so see you there. Any advice on training for the next couple of weeks to prepare?
  • Options
    Jez - you'll be fine, it's easier with other runners and a bit of support.

Creaky - likewise, you'll be fine. Don't do too much between now and then, it's too late to do much good and you don't want to injure yourself. You'll be faster in the race than you were on your own.
    If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.
  • Options
    Just entered online. Am hoping to beat my PB of 55.22 set at Leeds Abbey Dash. Sub 55 would be nice.