Dewsbury 10K - 5 Feb 06

Comments

• Hope everyone enjoyed the day. A little disapointed with my time 44.15 but a pb on this course by 30 secs so I've decided to view it that way.
    Like elephant feet , think my legs are still recovering from brass monkey, although last 3k were the fastest of all.

What's everyone up to next?
  • Snake Lane 10 for me in 3 weeks - well done St. B.
  • liversiege half next week and then on to snake lane
  • This was my first running race since the 2001 Dewsbury 10k so I had a few nerves at the start. Very pleased to go under 35 minutes though(about 34.20) as my old pb was 36.30. Just about perfect weather for racing so that helped.

Nice T shirt as well!
  • JRM - you must have been right near me - what vest did you have (I got 34:18 on my watch)?
  • Really enjoyed this morning more so the PB. According to my watch I knocked at most a minute and a half (42:13). Old PB 43:50. Just waiting on the chip time.

Well done to Dewsbury RR for such a great race, you'll be seeing my next year for sure.
  • Great race, well done Dewsbury RR - and Nell McAndrew too. Loved it when the start was slightly delayed and she had time to look into the field and spotted Tracy Morris. "Oooh! There's Tracy! Hiya!! Y'alright?"

Having had 10 days off due to skiing, and then having run Friday and yesterday due to feeling guilty I wasn't expecting much. Got fooled by the hill (where exactly does it start and finish?) but ran what I expect is a normal negative split by almost a minute to do 39:31 on the watch - not my best but near enough all things considered.

BR - think I saw you on the course and possibly warming down in some salubrious area of Dewsbury as well - and I think I also saw you warming down after Brass Monkey - I was with two other guys and a girl today - one of them a tall lad with dark hair.
  • Well done Desbury RR. Excellent race, well marhsalled and even the queue for the t-shirts greatly improved from last year.

Big PB for me too. Knocked 1m24 off. Down to 45m28s.
  • well I was a right slow-coach compared to all you lot - approx 52m 30s but I was really pleased. Not a PB by a long way, but seeing I felt and was quite unprepared for it I'm quite chuffed. Gonna have a big feed and drink tonight and then start marathon prep and training tomorrow...arrgh!
  • Andy, yep that was me. There's a lot of quiet corners around there if you don't fancy queuing for the toilets in the leisure centre...
  • I shall say hello next time then (although I'm not racing on this uncivilised side of the pennines for a while now).

Assume that was you at Brass Monkey - did you jog down the cycle track by the race course and back?
  • Pleased with my time of 45.49 (prev PB 46.57) so over a minute off, legs felt really tired not sure I have recovered from Ferriby 10m & Brass Monkey (pre-race, ran the day before with the club as I was marshalling on the day) I feel I may be capiable of a bit faster, but still not taking anythinkg away from my time today. Sounds like everyone had a great race. Well done everyone.
  • Yes we did - right up to the A64 bit.

Those people who are saying their times were a bit off having raced Brass Monkey (and even Ferriby 10)...

It takes a full 2 weeks for the damage from a HM to fully leave your legs. So for the last 2 weeks you've either been in recovery mode or (more probably if you're in a club) delaying that recovery by hammering club sessions.

Trust me, I've done that plenty of times...
  • BR - does it say anything in the recovery book about not running but skiing like mad and drinking strong French beer for the period in between? Doesn't help, believe me...
  • Worst race for traffic that I have ever had!! Hearly hit by a car (mercedes) and then had to STOP at a cross-roads while police let several cars out. What was the point of overtaking 3 people - they caught up with me there since they didn't have to wait!
  • Really Wakey? When I was running back the police were holding cars back so as not to interfere with the race.

Andy - well if you're posh and got the money to go skiing you deserve all you get:-)
  • Glad you all had a good time! I pulled my calf muscle and dropped out after only 100yds! 8-)}

I started having probs at the start of the week and knew that I would be a doubt! I was ok until I ran up the stairs to the loo in the sports centre, then felt a twinge! As I started off it tightened up....Looks like another trip to the Sports Injury Fella!

Miss B done it in just over an hour - not bad for her first ever...and she's only been running for three weeks!

Well done everyone!!
  • Great race and very pleased with my time - 47.54 - a PB! I thought the start may be a little tight (bad start at abbey dash) but it all flowed really well. And even the t-shirts ok!
    Congrats to all who organised it and took part - hope to see you there next year to see if I've improved
  • does anyone know if the results are out yet????
  • Barnsleyrunner,
    Yes really! At the back (59ish), the traffic was quite bad. I won't be doing that again!
  • Doesn't look like results are up yet, not sure when they will be up either.
  • Wakey, that's not good.

On the whole i think Dewsbury is an excellently organised race. BUT, it's never 100% so maybe you want to write to the organisers with some constructive critism.

Bear in mind DRR have no control over the police though, but they may pass your comments onto them, reminding them that people running 60mins are just as keen on their times as those doing 30m.
  • Tubby Tortoise, that's a shame! I think I saw you. Were you standing on the right side, on the pavement? Were you the bloke with the moustache? (hmmm, hope this ain't a lass I'm talking about)

Andy from Embsay, I was warming down with BR in the salubrious area, did we pass you just before the turn right?

I enjoyed the race but my reluctance to rate the scenery on the ratings page has made the overall impression to be 60% and it isn't that bad, just that if you notice the scenery, you aren't running fast enough! Well done Dewsbury RR!
  • FL - you can miss out the scenery rating if you want (like I did). It would be a shame to downgrade such a great race.

Anyway, if you're a fan of Victorian Industrial Architecture the scenery is quite interesting...
  • Results are up - follow the link from www.dewsburyroadrunners.co.uk (sorry can't do it for you) takes you to raceresults.co etc I think.

I saw some bad traffic today too - one orange megane was in danger of being mugged by angry runners, it was driving about a stride behind a guy, and the police said nothing. Another was beeping at runners! It is only one day a year.

Another Dewsbury another PB so I guess despite moaning about the early start etc I shall be back for more next year. Thank you Dewsbury Road Runners.
    If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.
  • Hi Little Miss Happy - did you have a running vest on? Was going to say hi - but a little shy !!!!

Was waring a pink www.stacey-louise.co.uk t-shirt
  • FL - I think so - we crossed the bridge over the river then turned left,so i guess you'd be about to turn right.
  • Another good race at Dewsbury!

Pb , by 9 secs for me, and I was thrilled as I hardly ran in January for various reasons!

Mr J, beat last years time so he was satisfied with that. (Has only run once in January)

There were a few obnoxious motorists...and that megane driver was top of the list!

Good to see a few forumites, I think I shouted at BR..well it was somebody in a Barnley vest, I think I gave U/A a heart attack (gabh mo leithsceal), and somebody cheered me for my green ribbon but I don't know who!

Torque Steer, we went to Sainsburys again for breakfast, we were waiting for you!

I can't stop smiling, I can't believe I ran that quick ( for me) after last month!!

Yipee..Mr J and I have decided already we will be back for 2007 !

Curry tonight to celebrate!
  • PS thanks to LMH for the warm up music in the car park

( "I like to move it, move it "!!)
  • PB by two minutes down to 36:44.

Did anyone else nearly loose there footing in the last 500 m?? I felt the ground was very slippy