Options

if i didn't train i would be............................................&#4

if i didn't run i would be............more attuned to the finely calibrated mood swings of my armchair, and quite possibly i would have a photographic knowledge of the radio times.....for every region!lol

well, if i didn't run i would still be a climber so at least i would have something to do. but what about all the other people out there who, even forumites, if they didn't run would fall fast and long into the "average weight, average activity, average life expectancy" of the common western male or female.

so tell us all,

IF I DIDN'T RUN I WOULD BE........

???

Comments

• Options
    IF I DIDN'T RUN I WOULD BE........

18 stone
  • Options
    IF I DID'NT RUN I WOULD BE HAPPY HAPPY HAPPY
    BUT FATTER.
  • Options
    A better climber/cyclist/cook/see more films etc.

PS Belfast Phil - I climb and run too. Means that I do less races through as I'm usually climbing at weekends
  • Options
    Probably dead - as either MrsH would have murdered me through being under her feet all the time or I would have smoked myself into an early grave.
  • Options
    Sleeping - since I set the alarm at an unearthly time to get out and run before work.

I'd also be fatter.

I'd also spend less time looking at speadsheets of my times/distances.
  • Options
    Possibly adjusting to life in a wheelchair. If I didn't really really want to run, would I put up with no bread and pasta? Particularly as there is official doubt as to whether gluten is responsible for my troubles? Would I spend time in pool doing exercises, or in Pilates class, in the hopes that a stronger back will allow me to run better? Would I keep trying, after each setback, to get going again? Or would I settle for the image of the strange lady guilty of dangerous driving on a disabled scooter?

It might come to that, but it'll have to catch me first, and I'm doing my level best to run away from it.

Running is not so much an addiction but an infatuation. Still, a very useful one.

I would possibly be a better viola player - more time to Practice, sigh. Supposing I still had hands and back to play with (no, they have not been immune to what ails my legs.)

And I wouldn't waste even more hours on the forums!
  • Options
    If I didn't run I would be:
    Wealthier - because the combination of training time and endorphin overload makes it very difficult for me to sit down and write.
    Healthier - possibly. A few pounds heavier, but able to spend more time on forms of exercise which are less challenging to my scraggy old bones. I'd probably eat less chocolate too.
    Wiser - more time to read and to have decent conversations.
    A better doctor - my mind would be on the next patient, not the next running opportunity.
    A more present but less placid parent.
    Less of a whole person - because I'd still believe I couldn't run.
    If I'd never started, I wouldn't know that I was missing the joy of a really good run, the excitement of racing, the friendship of other runners, the ability to say "fartlek" with a straight face. Now that I know what running is, I think it would be extremely difficult to give it up.
  • Options
    9-10kg heavier
    lethargic
    frustrated since being able to sail/ski whenever I wanted isn't on
    just as moody / tormentful of our household
  • Options
    sfh legs - mines a Mirror, what's your boat?
  • Options
    If I didn't run, I'd be in the pub. Or in a bar. Drinking a bottle of sauvignon blanc every other day and possibly back on the fags, which'd be an 'orrid prospect. I'd also be (even) fatter. And if back on the fags, significantly poorer.

However, I could also take the opportunity to go home when I shut down my computer, rather than actually leave the office 1.5 hours later after I've done the run and the shower. I could have more time to see my friends, more time to do my domestic chores, more time to read and to sleep. I'd spend more time working, because I'd be spending less time surfing the RW forums (fora?) for advice on how to deal with bowel movements and energy gels. I'd also be less worried about my snails pace when I think about completing the FLM, because I wouldn't be thinking about the FLM at all (except to look at all the runners on telly and think they're all nutters before turning back to the wine). Oh, and I could have my Sunday morning lie-in. Properly. Without having to think about water, breakfast, more water, loo trips and the prospect of a very long run in the cold and wet.

So why do I run?
  • Options
    DustinDustin ✭✭✭
    Im with Will , I'd be at least 3 stone heavier.

although if I didn't run I'd still be doing some sport.

Any footy teams an (ageing) full back short?
  • Options
    If I didn't train I would

- be more stressed

- be cardiovascularly unfit

- develop orange peel bum and thighs

- etc.....
  • Options
    I'd be bored, stressed and unable to get away with eating as much as I do at the moment!

I'd probably also be a wheezing wreck - as the running keeps my asthma under control!
  • Options
    - richer
    - more attentive spouse and mother (yeah yeah)
    - also better viola player Stickless, though at my level that's not saying much.
    - pre-occupied with other probably far less flexible and more expensive outdoor hobby as I've always loved being outside.
    - more energetic and awake since marathon training doubtless leaves you with a net energy debt.
    - less boring to my friends who, incredibly, are not interested in my heart rate training zones.
  • Options
    stickless

have 2 boats i'm not certain I really want! A topper bought as a compromise between single hander for me and for son. and a laser13 - a kind of wanderer equivalent with a B******D old fashioned spinnaker. Its too slow for racing, bought when kiddies were little and it would be a nice dayboat. fancy a laser 2000 now.
  • Options
    - unbeatable on various Playstation games....

• Options
    if I didn't run I would be
    able to walk without my legs hurting
    but then maybe not, as my legs would have to hold up about another 3-4 stone
    and If I didn't run my friends would know what I look like and not be suprised when I do make it out to the pub
  • Options
    If I didn't run I'd be...

...still in bed at 9 in the morning on a Sunday.

...less likely to come home covered in mud.

...able to cut down on the amount of washing I'd be doing having no kit.
  • Options
    If I didn't run I would be fat, unfit and FED UP!!

• Options
    If I didn't Run I would be over 18 stone again, very unfit, very low on self confidence and very bored!!!!
  • Options
    ...probably rather heavier than I am now

...part of a family who dreaded me coming home from work, as I would probably take the day's stress & frustration out on them instead of getting rid of them out running.
  • Options
    A size 12 and not 10
    An alcoholic
    Hyperactive
    Very annoying to loved ones as running destresses me!
  • Options
    If I couldn't run at all I'd be very stressed and almost certainly smoking again.

Was told yesterday that I can't run for 6 weeks (stress fracture). But I'm not going to start smoking again as I can just imagine how much extra pain thats going to cause in 6 weeks time. It'll be bad enough having lost all the fitness I've gained so far!!

But if I knew I wasn't going to start running again it would be hard not to end up back on the fags...

• Options
    MinksMinks ✭✭✭
    - Much more stressed, as I run off the nightmares of the day rather than take them out on my other half

- Moaning about feeling fat (which I used to do) instead of moaning that I can't find any clothes to fit me because I'm now too small! (Never satisfied ...)

- More sociable, as I arrange my social life round my running schedule

But not as happy!
  • Options
    If I didn't train I be ...

- spending no time on this website and even more bored at work!!
  • Options
    If I didn't run I'd probably be more bulky than I am now like last year. I do rowing so muscle builds if you just do the one sport.

Also so more bored with training as running is good x-training for me!!!!
  • Options
    A more miserable person, but likely to be up to some other form of execrise.
  • Options
    If I didn't run I'd be the proud owner of a perfect garden.

Actually, I'm not able to run at the moment and I am: "horrible" (daughter)
    "so unfair", "evil" (pupils)
    "unrepeatable" (mrs) Is there a pattern here?

and eating less