Friday session 17 Jan 2003

I thought it would be interesting to add a little twist to Fridays session thread. In order to assist in Mondays expected post mortem it would be interesting if Sundays racers gave us a time prediction. What we want is:

1. Dream time: the best you can hope for given perfect conditions and feeling great on the day.
2. Acceptable time: one that you would be quite happy with and a fair reflection of training build up.
3. Disappointed: needs no explanation.

I think a range is acceptable under each category but for the experienced runners (you know who you are!) range should be 1 minute (e.g. "half marathon between 1:24 and 1:25) beginners and first timers five minutes ranges acceptable.

Back to the thread.

Last nights session was 40 minutes run outside - as usual taking things relatively easy so as not to disturb the delicate equilibrium I've achieved with my knee. Temperatures have plumeted again so it was very icy.

Today: Probably rest
Why: Feel tired and no rest so far this week.
Last rest day: last Thursday
Last hard day: N/A

Best of luck to all racers this weekend - look forward to those race reports.

Comments

• Hi everyone! Ooh, exciting weather here. Gales, drifting snow, all flights to our local airport cancelled.

Hope you're feeling better Drew.

Laura and everyone else running Helsby - Good Luck! Actually, maybe those of us not running should predict everyone else's times. Laura - I think you were aiming for 1:45? But given that you've done so much quality training I think you'll run faster than that - around 1:39-1:41.

Today: 6 miles brisk
    Why: Feelin' good (not following any training programme while I'm still on horse-strength antibiotics)
    Last hard: yesterday. Yet more calf-deep snow, and a blizzard. Oh yes, and prior to that, 40 minutes shovelling snow from our apartment's steps and pathways. Think this counts as cross training as I was shattered afterwards! We have these huge heavy duty snow shovels to shift the snow around which weigh about 20 kg!
    Last rest: Saturday
  • Oh, and good luck to everyone doing races other than Helsby as well!
  • Morning all

What-Rest
    Why-Cos I am just about to leave for a meeting 120miles away and wont be back till about 9pm
    last hard Wed
    Last rest Mon

I dont race so no predictions from me
  • Hi all. Like reading about snow. Like snow.

Until it gets grey/black, gritty, icy and miserable.

What: Nothing, just pool, exercises only, and Pilates class.

Not sure whether yesterdays poor effort marked just a one off bad day or a threatened return of the lurgy. Shall take things quietly and hope. I'll run tomorrow and Sunday if all goes well. Only if.

Have fun this weekend folks.
  • what: rest roday
    why: 4 days straight deserve a rest

no race on the weekend but long run on saturday will be an eye opener
  • top o the mornin to yer

what; rest after 90 min endurance session at gym was bored out of mind
    why: woouldn't you
    last rest: Tues
    last hard session: Mon

Yes, thanks for reminding me about the "othwe website" laura. I'm with Lizzy on yr time prediction, having seen yr training and learned that ladies are better at stamina and blokes are better at speed ;-) then I'm sure you'll beat me to sub 1:40. I'm also suspicious of your Mike S who, if he gets the taper right could well surpise himself - I think he's got a side bet on.

LizzyB - those big snow shovels - you just push them, you don't pick them up even the real godzilla would struggle there!

Like Martin H I look forward to those reports
  • What: 6 Miles Recovery (41:00)
    Why: Recovery, duh ;)
    Last Hard: Thursday
    Last Rest: Monday

XC League Race this weekend, will give position references rather than times, as the course length is unknown...

Dream Pos: Top 10
    Accepted Pos: Top 18
    Dissapointed: Higher than 20
  • Good morning

Didnt run yesterday, but went for a shorter run this morning instead.

What: 2.8 mile run (slow)
    Why: Been eating lots the last few days in the expectation of doing a long run yesterday. Since that didn't happen, need to make up the distance over the weekend.
    Last hard: Tuesday
    Last Rest: Thursday

Decided not to race this weekend because if I did, it would take me all morning.
    Will race at the Bramley 10.
  • morning all

what: zilch
    why: H minus 2 and counting
    last hard(ish) day: Tue
    last long(ish) day: Sun
    last rest day: Mon

sfh - flattered! - I obviously have the ability to talk (or imply) a good race....

When reality intrudes in about 49 hours time....in what looks likely to be quite decent conditions....

dream time: 84 mins or less
    pleased with: 84:00-84:59
    acceptable: 85:00-85:59
    disappointed: 86:00-86:79
    disaster: outside 87:00

but what do I know? I haven't raced this distance for almost half a lifetime.

Star forumite performance will come from Laura, who I fancy for sub 98:00 or even better
  • Morning All!

Best of luck to all those racing at the weekend. Now I've got a bit of a quandry today so I'm going to put both sessions down and decide on them later

What 1: out and back speed session
    What 2: Longish 7-8miler
    Why : Well why not

Last Hard : Tuesday
    Last Rest : Sat
  • Best of luck to everyone racing this weekend. Hope all who were not feeling 100%, feel better.

What: nowt
    Why: day 1 of mini-taper prior to Sundays race
    Last hard run: Yesterday
    Last rest day: Today.

In the spirit of Martin H's request:

Folksworth 15
    Dream time: sub-1:33:45
    Pleased with: 1:33:45 - 1:35:00
    Acceptable: 1:35:00 - 1:37:30
    Disappointed: 1:37:30 - 1:40:00
    Total disaster: > 1:40:00

However, I've never raced a 15 miler in my life and I'm not certain of my fitness level after Christmas just yet.
  • What: 10 x hill reps, total running time 55 mins
    Why: Watford Half and Connemara Marathon are both hilly
    Last rest: Yesterday active rest - 3 to four hours body balance
    Last hard: today
    Last easy: weds

Just had physio and massage - need new trainers as I've started to over pronate - but no injuries
    Laura will defo do a pb at Helsby - good luck!
  • Mike - I think given the right conditions you could go sub 1:23 - perhaps we should have included a "died and gone to heaven" category.

MM - where does the 1:33:45 come from?
  • Did short pyramid session with club last night just to loosen up, having very lazy day today, I am so looking forward to Helsby and meeting everyone.

As for time, anywhere between 2-2.30hrs will do me, just want to enjoy the race.
  • DustinDustin ✭✭✭
    I think this weeks runners will surprise themselves. I'm with the consensus for Laura to run a pb , and having read Mike's training posts I think we may see a smug grin come Sunday.

MM - good luck with the 15 mile race.
    Just think of it as a halfM with a mile warm up and a mile warm down (at race pace)...

As for me today is a rest day, first since last weekend,and I'm planning a long run (16 miles or so) on Sunday.
    Not racing again until February, which is quite hectic: 8mile multi Terrain Grim,Meon Valley x-c over 19.5 miles and the Bramley 20miler......

Not making any predictions just yet.....

Have a good weekend everyone.
  • Hi folks,

Very touched by your expressions of faith in me! Have superstitious fear that having banged on about this race for so long I'll fall flat on my face.
    Mike, your preparation has been meticulous (and by the way, that's made me try to prepare a bit better than my usual each-day-as-it-comes attitude, thanks!) and I'm certain it will pay off, sub 84 for you, assuming the gales and lashing rain that was here overnight doesn't hover over Helsby on Sunday.

MM, best of luck with you 15 miler, have worked out where Folksworth is now, should have known as I used to live not a million miles away.

So,
    Dream time: 1.40-1.41
    Very pleased 1.41-1.42.59
    Acceptable: 1.43-1.44.59
    Sulk for a week: 1.45-1.47
    Burn my trainers and join WI: 1.48 plus

Therefore:
    What: rest.
    Why: determined to taper properly
    Last hard: Wed
    Last rest: Tues

Have a good day all.
  • With you dream time Laura, surely it should be 1:39:59?
  • Ok Martin, but that would be pushing it into fantasy territory.

Stickless, hope you get out and enjoy some running over the weekend, am in awe of your determination never to give up and be in a wheelchair (read your 'if I wasn't running' thread)
  • Morning All

What: 5 Miles Easy
    Why: Didn't want to overdo it before Sundays Race

Last Hard Mondays speed session
    Last Rest Wednesday

RACE DARTFORD 10 MILER (Realative Beginner)

Dream Time: Sub 80 Minutes
    Very Pleased 80 - 85 Minutes
    Acceptable: 85 - 90 Minutes
    Dissapointed over 90 minutes

I will let you all know how it went on Monday
  • Afternoon all. Another pre-Helsby post ;

what : 4 mile easy today, 3 mile easy tomorrow
    why : want to keep the FLM training in but also easing up to Sunday's 1/2 M (my first in 3 years)
    last hard : Wednesday's club night
    last rest : Yesterday

so for the race : Helsby 1/2M
    Dream time : Sub 1h50m
    Very pleased : 1hr50-1hr53
    Acceptable : 1hr53-1hr56
    Dissapointed : 1hr56-1hr59
    Gutted : >2hr

I've done 4 1/2Ms before all between 1hr57 and 2hr02, but this is my first since taking up running properly last autumn so i'm determined to get a PB.

Good luck in everyone's own quest.
  • Hello boys and girls.

What: Rest. Just might go for a quick stretch.
    Why: Tough tempo on the mill last night, racing Sunday.
    Hard: Last night. At least the flat-out 5K was.
    Rest: Monday.

I'm racing the Fred Hughes 10 at St Albans on Sunday, so, as requested....

1. Dream time: 1:21:59
    2. Acceptable time: 1:27:00
    3. Disappointed: 1:30:00

Only ever trained 10 miles, never raced it, so I don't know what the race adrenalin will do to me!

Good luck racers, and happy running everyone.
  • Just been to 2nd Pilates session. Good grief, makes running seem like a piece of cake! Not in getting out of breath and sweating terms, I mean in terms of using muscles until they shake and scream terms. And it takes amazingly little to get them to that state!
  • What: 40 mins inc 16 x 100 metre acceleration/strides concentrating on running form

Why: Part of programme for 13 April marathon

Last hard: Tuesday pace session

Last rest: Last Friday

Simon

P.S. Wish I could find races here - it is the one thing I really miss.
  • drewdrew ✭✭✭
    What: nothing, again
    Why: still feeling ill

Predictions for Sunday at Helsby -

Laura - 1:39:37, feeling fresh at finish
    Mike - 1:24:18, totally knackered at finish
    Drew - stay in bed as he knows it's the wise thing to do!

Good luck everyone racing at the weekend.
  • Wow,
    looks like lots of racing this weekend.

Drew,
    sorry you're still not feeling right mate.

Martin H,
    the 1:33:45 would be 15 miles @6:15 pace (which is my current PB pace for 1/2M from December 2002), and would definitely be a 'dream' time for a 15 miler for me ;-)
  • afternoon, everybody -

good luck to all you demon racers - hope it's going to be Dream Times all round.

congrats, MartinH, on another brilliant idea from the "onlie begetter" of the indispensable Training thread.

what: rest
    why: seemed after all like the sensible thing to do - though I was actually dressed and out the door before I admitted it. oops.
    last hard day: yesterday
    last rest: Monday
  • Afternoon all

Hope the racing goes well this weekend and proably best to rest drew.

What: 3 miles on treadmill
    Why: Shedules says so
    Last Hard Day: Yesterday
    Last rest day: Wednesday

Planned for the weekend is a long run tomorrow, hopefully about 8-9miles but walking some of the steeper hills. Then sunday an easy 5k.
  • HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    Hi all, what busy bees you're going to be this weekend. Good luck everyone racing, dream times I'm sure all round. Laura I also think you'll go sub 1.40!

finding it hard to fit in a quality run today, due to family, work etc. So shall do a short 3 miles down to the swimming pool tonight as I have swim drill practice and it just stretches the legs out. Not too bothered as I have a planned 20 miles tomorrow that I'm looking forward to.

Get well soon Drew!

Good luck racers', looking forward to all the race reports.
  • Get well soon Drew! (also)
    Well done in showing the discipline not to train whilst ill. I personally find this very hard, but its just not worth it in the long run...
    Good luck all you racing b's & g's. Wishing you PB's all round :)