FLM Virgin

Comments

• Dont worry that will be standard questions like have you any past injuries etc.

Its when they ask you to stay behind after class that you would have to worry about

good luck

• just done 7, bit of an injury sneaking up on glutes, so prolly miss tomorrows 3, need to be fresh for the big 15...eek.

yeh up for meetin up some point at silverstone. definately, dont mind before or after...before probably because the race starts at a time but we might finish at different ones....

good luck with running club pinks, i should join my local one but they meet on awquard days so might give it a miss...
  • Good luck Pinks, you'll love it, i ran with a club while i was training for the army, really friendly atmosphere. Sadly can't do it now due to shifts.
  • i run with a club on Thursdays but its very casual (which is lovely) and tends to be short runs so I use it either for my hills or recovery run. Dont know about you lot but my head is spinning with all the schedules and advice and stuff. I almost want the next six weeks or so to be out the way so we are just about to enter the home straight.
  • Hey all, it was totally awesome!!! they decided to put me in a slightly challenging group consisiting of 2 coaches and 5 women, one who is also doing FLM and i found out are daughters know each other. they said it was going to be a 'bit of a hill session' so i was really scared and had to go to the loo 3 times before we set off!

there were about 100 people all in different groups and we did a group warm up session first in the indoor hall and then everyone split up. my group set off at quite a pace...ended up doing 7.5 miles mostly at 9-9.5 mm but i kept up!!! they did a figure of 8 including 3 hills in the middle of the session about .75 mile distance which they did 3 times. i did miss out the middle one so just did it twice but then on the run back to the stadium i was dtermined to keep up at the front with one of the coaches and i did it!!! just what i needed to push me and give me some confidence back and they were all really nice to me and one of the coaches offered to go out with me on my long run at the weekend to keep me company. i was close to tears on the way home in the car because it felt so good and i felt for the first time like i was a REAL runner and that i belonged!!!

thanks to all of you for encouraging me to go!!! pinks xxx
  • i see we are due to do 15 this weekend...think i will just do a cheeky 11/12...as legs are still sore...thoughts?
  • Pinks that is the best news, im soo happy for you its sounds great and exactly what you need.
    You have always been a 'real' runner but glad your feeling more positive.

Also sounds great wish we had something like that in my local area that fitted in with my diary. You've inspired me to go and phone club and just check times of runs etc.

Well done PW on your 7miles, i had a disaster last night, went to change for adidas runs and realised i left socks bra and running top at home, so anoying as had dragged gym kit to work especially.. such a waste.. went home and ate... alot.....

going to run lots today though...

Saw physio yesturday and apparently we should all be stretching even on rest days.

Cas you dont have to follow programmes religously... listen to your body.. so I think 11/12 is perfect if thats how you feel.

On my long run this weekend im going to download an audio book and try listerning to that this just as an experiment as im not all that into music but definately need something to keep me company.

once again Pinks really chuffed for you.
  • Its snowing again :D/:(

fenn, i stretch most days for my kung fu although prefer to stretch on running days as you can go that little bit more!

still nowhere near the splits yet....but perseverence (if thats spelled correctly?) is the key...

bit sore after yesterdays 7 so going to rest today and tomorrow, todays 3 is supposed to be v easy any way...might step next week up to 18 as going to miss the 18 for silverstone...just really want to get that distance done...hmm

any hoo - college and all that, ciao
  • Thanks Fenn, that's really nice of you. Shame you forgot your kit - i have done that so many times and it is really annoying. never mind though and maybe a rest day was what you needed anyway!

if we are meant to be stretching on rest days don't we need to warm up first? i get confused with all that!

PW hope you are ok and no damage done.

Fenn, BRILLIANT idea re audio book!! my youngest has an i pod nano with Harry Potter on so i think i will give it a try!! thanks!!

Cas are you still sore from sunday? is it your knees?
  • snowing here too...is it ok to run in snow or dangerous?? i'm running home from work tonight (just 3 miles).

what is the best thing to eat after a run like i did last night with the club? by the time i got in and out of the shower it was 9pm so quite late to eat a big meal. i had cereal and toast instead.
  • I usually opt for cereal and toast too after a run or beans on toast!! My diet is appalling so could do with learning some tips to.

No snow in London but very cold walking over vauxhall bridge this morning so dont think it will be long before the snow arrives.

I was thinking about Harry Potter as my choice of download, im a big fan
  • Pinks, so glad you had a good time, i'm the same as Fenn i wish i could run with a club but due to shifts i'd be wasting my memebrship fee.

My physio has me sretching on rest days too, i really feel the diference when i don't especially my right itb and quad, which are a right pain in the @rse, if i don't do it.

Good on ya girl for last night.
  • so do you warm up or anything before stretching?? i thought you could/should only stretch warm muscles?

Fenn, which is your favourite HP book? mine is the third one or maybe the one which came out last summer (can't remember the names)and i just LOVE the concept of the Marauders Map!
  • post exercise is high GI carbs and protein.

so sommat like fruit juice and meat (chicken/turkey/fish/tofu) or baked potato & tuna...

duno really, its all down to what works for you...if toast and cereal works then keep it up, but try and get some protein in there...

if you dont have time etc. for cooking meat/ dont eat meat/ dont have meat avaliable protein shakes can be v. useful...
    click me

of course sweeties are also high GI so can be good refueling material.
  • what you talking about no snow....its hammering down here in the City at the moment and settling out in Surrey apparently where i live!

knees are still al ittle sore but legs are fine...havent done any running this week...lacking motivation a bit but am sure will get back into it.

btw...the boy is perking up a bit after a whole week of nasty nappies and vomit so thats good news!
  • Cas, glad to hear little chap on the mend. as mine are now 19, 17 and 9 i had forgotten about lovely nappies!! thank god for pampers or similar!!

snow has stopped here, now just peeing it down and as daughter has finished school for the day and gone home i HAVE to run home!!

Rio, where are you?? come back!!
  • Yeah i was wondering what had happened to Rio. Suppose its that little thing called work!

Cas, glad to hear your son is improving.
    As for lack of motivation I wouldnt worry i think everyone has guilts/low points lack of motivation, if it was easy it wouldnt be such an achievement.

Definately no snow in Vauxhall just the wet stuff.
  • Woo hoo...day off work tomorrow so gonna psyche myself up for sats run by playing with toys and watching balamory all day!!!!
  • remember when Josh was your little lads age we (me, hubby and older two kids) used to see who could do the shape sorters and puzzles the fastest! very sad i know!! don't know balamory - it was teletubbies for Josh and thomas the tank engine! (now its spongebob, the simpsons and mtv!)

ER on tonight - my fav programme!
  • just got back in from my run, i can confirm it's bloody wet and cold out there. ets hear it for Kojac in ER, i'm freezin!!!!
  • well done Nicks, how far did you go? gotta run home in cold/rain but only 3 miles tonight.

He is soooo fit isn't he!!! anyone watch the OC? ( yes i know, but i do have teenage kids!!)
  • sorry not the OC, did 16 miles today, was really really hard!! i think my legs must still be tired after sunday.
    wrap up it's horrible out there.
  • nicky, what plan you on - BHF one or sommat? sounds a tad more itense than HH novice...
  • wow, 16 after the half on sunday??!!! go easy Nicks, you must be shattered!! i've got 15 on my plan tomorrow but may take it a bit easier.

a very basic question...how slow does everyone go on their lsr ie. how much slower per mile than their usual pace? i'm sure i'm not starting out slow enough and as the mileage is increasing it is getting harder? Nicks you are roughly same pace a s me - what do you do??
  • Morning all,
    Training is not too good this week my mid week runs seem to be a disaster with knee playing up and every week i promise to sort my diet out ( ie cut out chocolate crap and bad stuff for good nutrisous food ) and every week i fail!! grumble grumble.. not losing any weight

Pinks its a basic question that i dont quite understand myself.

i used to do just train at 9min miles nothing more nothing less. managing 10miles as top distance at that pace and still felt could go further, when started training for the LFM read loads of books programmes and starting runnning LSR only at 10min miles and all other runs at 9min miles if not faster.

however on last sundays half marathon race i didnt feel comfortable at running anything faster than 10min miles dont think i could do 10miles in 9mins miles anymore, ive managed to train myself slower!!!! Im very baffled.

So im begining to think unless you are competetive in races (which im not)you will naturally run at your LSR pace as that is what your body is comfortable with.

I would be very interseted to hear everyone elses opinon too
  • hi guys,

don't ache at all to day thank goodness!!
    PW, i'm not on any particular programme, it's one that me and my pysio built up toafter my injury and i planned it. Basically my LSR are the main build up to get the miles into my legs, so each week this is increased a mile a week, he didn't think this would be much to ask the body per week. I do two short runs ie 6reps of a hill and 8 reps of speed, two hundred metres rest and 400m sprint. The third run of the week is another distance run of about 10 mile + on the tredmill to give the legs a break from pavement bashing,and the the big LSR. Ever 6 weeks i have a total rest from running and do swimming or something.
    I don't take much notice of my times on the way round Pinks, i conciously (?)go very slow so that i can can back home in one piece LOL! i started yesterday at 10 min miles and had to force myself to slow. i'm findin that i am gettin stronger each week where the hills are concerned, so something must be working. But yesterday i had a major fight with the ole mental thing, it's not a nice feeling. has anyone experienced it yet?? got an tips.

• well that makes two of us then Fenn!! i think it is very difficult, as a beginner to running/racing, when a lot of books and articles refer to for example running at '30 secs per mile slower than 10k race pace' if you don't have a clue what your 10k race pace is!! Rio, we need help, where are you please and are you ok???

i am also struugling a bit with food. i eat fairly healthily but all this running is making me so hungry and i DON@T want to put on any weight!! if i run late in the day or evening then i don't want to start cooking and it is whatever is easiest (usually cereal!). last night i cooked salmon and vegetables, all very healthy, but an hour later i was ravenous!!
  • Nicks, i have tried the counting thing and it works for me. either forwards or backwards to 400 in rythmn with your pace - also helps to steady your pace and if you make a mistake or forget where you got to you start again. Another mental trick is to 'play' a favourite episode of eg friends/ER or whatever in your head. a book i have also recommends 'making' your own videotape of some positive running event in your mind and replaying it over and over again. needs to be a couple of minutes long and can either be dreamt up (eg visualise yourself in the home straight on FLM and the crowds cheering etc etc)or from a good run you have actually experienced. it makes your mind more positive again and often you can find you have run another mile or two without even noticing!
  • nicky sounds like you are all in control of training very imrpessive, just looking back at my running journal and realsied the last five runs havent gone well.

I guess the answer is as a beginner you dont/shouldnt have to worry about times.

yes Rio where are you ??? hope all is well??
  • my dad used to run half marathons, sadly never got thru in the ballot for FLM, so he has a bit of understanding of what we're all going thru.
    A few weeks ago i was gettin so wrapped up in things and puttin alot of pressure on myself for brighton.

He told me to remember why did i start running again? and why am i doing all this?? because i enjoy it, guys it's the best bit of advice i've been given during this whole experience.
    oh apart from listen to ya body