Options

Thursday session

Does time seem to be accelerating? How can it be Thursday already!

Last night I did some cross training indoors including 20 minutes stationary cycle and 20 minutes rowing. Haven't done any rowing in some months so consequently feel a bit knackered today.

Today: marathon pace effort (aiming for 75% HR) for 45 mins plus warm up warm & warm down (total about 1:10).
Why: Don't want to risk any really hard speedwork while knee is still an unknown quantity.
Days since rest: six
Days since hard: four

Comments

• Options
    Coco-CatCoco-Cat ✭✭✭
    Didn't do my swim yesterday as I was very tired from work and Tuesday's run. Had a rest day instead.

What: 6 miles steady
    Why: To increase my distance
    Last hard day: Tuesday
    Last rest day: yesterday
  • Options
    Long (10 mile) run last night - went really well. About 10mins quicker than the same run last week. OK, so it's only 11-minute miles, but that's still running, innit?

Today: Half-day at work. Husband and kids want to go out to a steam railway. Told them OK as long as we're back in time for me to do a Bodypump class and a swim tonight.

Why: Recovery day.

Last hard day: Yesterday.

Last rest day: Tuesday.
  • Options
    Another sunny day – could it be we are actually having a summer ;o)

What : easy 5-miles or so with a few sprint efforts
    Why : Preparation for the Bishop Auckland 10k on Sunday

Last Hard Day: Yesterday
    Last Hard Run: Tuesday
    Last Rest Day Sunday

Will
  • Options
    MinksMinks ✭✭✭
    What: 5 miles easy.
    Why: Interval session last night so nothing too heavy today.
    Last hard: Yesterday.
    Last rest: Monday.

Last night's speed session went pretty well, although I was really feeling it by the last interval. There seemed to be an awful lot of mothers with buggies and toddlers on bicycles right across my path, which made the sprints quite interesting! Looking forward to a nice easy session tonight!
  • Options
    V-rap & Marj -- I think yesterday's debacle was a combination of dehydration and I'm slowly realising that my body needs 2 rest days between runs at the moment. Oh well, whatever it takes and thanks guys for the thoughts for Friday (tomorrow in fact now).

What: 2 miles round the park instead of the gym (intending to do but we'll see)
    Why: Failed to run any decent distance last night and not run since Monday.
    Last Hard Day: Monday
    Last Rest Day: effectively yesterday but actually Tuesday.
  • Options
    Vrap - 10 miles at 11 min miles. I'll drink to that, and 10 min off last week's time!

What: walked dog and tried to swim, neither anything to boast about. (Trying it off a-i's, afraid it's not working v. well.)

However, I saw the kingfisher this morning, and no day's all bad which features a kingfisher. Forgot to tell you yesterday there was a cormorant on our patch of water - another rare visitor.

Having been off a-i's long enough to ascertain that nothing really hurts, I'll go back on them and might even get running this afternoon. If not then, tomorrow.
  • Options
    Well done Vrap, that's a long way.11 minute miling is definitely still running.

What: 8 mile tempo run
    Why: a flat circuit I haven't done since my marathon training and I want to see if I've got any faster.
    Last hard: officially Tues
    Last rest: Mon

Yesterday I added some crosstraining you may like to try:
    273 * 'The shoulder wrench', and
    79 * 'The compost lap'

ie restarting the lawnmower after it stalled every 15 seconds trying to mow the wet and very long grass I'd neglected for weeks, then hauling armfuls of sodden grass to the compost heap which otherwise would clog the blades up next time.
    Spent over 3 hours doing this, followed by family bike ride and 5 mile run.
    Slept like a baby.

• Options
    What: 2-3 mile gentle trot (on grass mainly) round Caldy CC grounds after cricket training
    Why: recovery session
    last hard day: Wed
    last non-run day: Sat
    last rest day: previous Wed
  • Options
    Running is definitely bad for gardens! I'll have to set about some of the other exercises from "Crosstraining for Gone-to-seeds" soon, Laura, as the only bit of my garden that looks tidy is the lawn, which by co-incidence is the only bit that's Mr V-rap's responsibility. To think there was once a time when I would rather have pruned the buddleias than go for a run...
  • Options
    DustinDustin ✭✭✭
    Had my first two back to back rest days in ages on Monday and Tuesday after Sundays Burnham Beeches halfM. Been feeling a bit knackered recently so took the two days off to see if it would help.
    Well - Wednsday did an out and back 10.6 miles with -ve splits (out 38.50 back 37.30)total 76.20 - around my usual half M pace.

Today 10min warm up , 12*400m at 5k pace (15.5 kmph) with 200m recovs (11.5 kmph) , 8 min warm down. All in all 11km in 49m30.

Two very good sessions obviously illustrating the rest was needed - and another rest day tomorrow!

Last Hard session : Today
    Last Rest : Tuesday
  • Options
    Yesterday turned into a complete rest day as I ran out of time to go to the pool...still I did get quite a bit of decorating done...
    Today am: Peak Physique class at the gym
    pm: 5 miles incl 8x30secs fast, 1 min slow
    Why: ths class for toning, the run to build mileage towards Great South Run
    Last hard: Tues
    Last rest: yesterday
  • Options
    Have to admit, I haven't done a thing sisnce the BB 1/2 on Sunday. Not a hard race for me but still 13.1 is 13.1.

However, last night Mrs RB and I did some hill repeats. Not too long and not too many but the hill was pretty steep. We took Mrs RB's granddaughter (aged 6)with us and she did hill reps too!! A passing runner said we should take her to Banbury Harriers. - Thinking about that.

Anyway, feel better than expected this morning. Going on holiday Saturday and taking kit (just in case).

When I get back, I'll definitely be upping the training for Windsor 1/2 so will be able to contribute more regularly to this thread..

All the best,

RB
  • Options
    NessieNessie ✭✭✭
    What: 10 miles mountain bike + half hour swim
    Why: Legs feeling much better after Tuesday's 15 miler, thanks to swim/sauna/jacuzzi last night.

Last rest: Yesterday (won't count 10 slow lengths as training)
    Last hard: Tuesday (see above)

I still could never face Paula's ice bath, but the cool water in the pool, followed by the powerful jacuzzi, has worked miracles. If anyone had suggested cycling tonight yesterday morning, I'd have laughed, but now I'm up for it.

I must be well recovered too, since after the post about wearing HRM in bed (another thread) I did it last night, and recorded a lowest ever waking Hr of 52 this morning.
  • Options
    What: nothing - the shame
    Why: zero motivation
    Last run: Tuesday
    Last rest: yesterday

Started as not having enough time before work to do the run I was meant to be doing and went downhill from there. Still conning myself that I could go tomorrow. Anyway, I'm back home on Sunday - yippee! - and so hope to get back into the swing of things with a long run then.
  • Options
    What: seven mile tempo run

Why: best conditions for running in my area FOR AGES!

Last rest: Monday

It really has been a perfect running day: moderate temperature with a cool breeze, mixture of sun and cloud, and very unpopulated here in the 'burbs at the moment because so many families are on hols. My most enjoyable run for ages; I wanted to go longer, but also want to do some hills tomorrow, so thought the better of it.

My holiday is fast coming to and end, and I am realising that I shall really miss running exactly when I wish, not to mention having heaps of time to observe these forums!

DC
  • Options
    What: 10 miler
    Why: Bit of a Half Marathon Pace run
    Last hard run: Tuesday
    Last rest day: Monday

Did a mile warm-up then tried to do 8 miles @ goal half marathon pace. Ran first 4 on target (25:22 ~ 6:21 min/mile) but was knackered during next 4 and pace fell off quite a bit (26:38 ~ 6:40 min/mile). So averaged around ~ 6:30 pace which wasn't too far out.

Really beginning to hope for a nice, cool overcast day for the Robin Hood Half on Sept. 15th

mm
  • Options
    HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    What: 6 mile PLOD!
    Why: felt knackered
    Last rest day: yesterday
    Last hard day:Tuesday
  • Options
    Have a good holiday Ratbag. Nessie, your training sounds liek it's going well.
    My 8 miler turned into abysmal and counterproductive session. I was feeling tired before I even started and when I couldn't get my HR up during my warm-up mile I got an inkling a tempo run may be a little ambitious. My target HR was 174 and I couldn't get over 160; eventually just plodded around in an embarrassing time when I could have sat in the garden with a cup of tea and the CD player at full blast 'cause everyone else was out. So much for setting a PB on this route!
  • Options
    Fiona MFiona M ✭✭✭
    What: Usual 5k route, tried to concentrate on pacing myself better instead of dying on the home straight.

Why: Fed up on dying!

Last rest day: yesterday, including early night, and boy did I feel the benefit this morning. Nothing hurt for a change. Well, until after my run that is...

Last hard day: Tuesday night's TKD class.
  • Options
    Fiona MFiona M ✭✭✭
    What: Usual 5k route, tried to concentrate on pacing myself better instead of dying on the home straight.

Why: Fed up of dying!

Last rest day: yesterday, including early night, and boy did I feel the benefit this morning. Nothing hurt for a change. Well, until after my run that is...

Last hard day: Tuesday night's TKD class.
  • Options
    Fiona MFiona M ✭✭✭
  • Options
    What: 9.2 mile steady run in 58 mins
    Why: Didn't fancy doing any speed work
    Days since last hard: Tuesday
    Days since last rest: Thursday

Was planning on doing a swim, but fell asleep for two hours at lunch time (after a full nights sleep), so concluded that I probably needed to take it a bit easier.

Gareth
  • Options
    Come on, surely 9.2 miles in 58 miles MUST count as speedwork, even for an Ironman?
  • Options
    Laura,

It was just a steady run, with an average heart rate of 151 (about 76% of my max). For my speed sessions I try to get my HR up to around the high 170s. In total it was an average pace of 6:28 and as this is around my target marathon HR it is just a little quicker than I would hope to average for a full 'thon - if I were fully prepared :o) (around 6:40 pace).

Gareth
  • Options
    HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    It seems we had similar painful runs today Laura. I too had planned to do a tempo run, but the body had other ideas. Oh well all part of this running game the next one will most probably be ok.
  • Options
    What: 5M over the moors, followed by a freezy cold dip in a moorland pool.

Why: What a sensible question.

Last rest day: Yesterday.

Last hard : Tuesday

Starting to feel the benefit of increased runs a week. Gone from 1 to between 2-4 over the last 3 weeks and its feeling good.
  • Options
    drewdrew ✭✭✭
    What: 6 x 1200 off 2 min recoveries at average of 5:42 pace. Quite pleased with the pacing as there was a difference of only 3 seconds between slowest and fastest reps.

Why: Key speed session for week

Last rest day: Monday

• Options
    Ironman

How can you fall asleep for 2 hours at lunchtime?

In my book that means you're either:

1. On holiday.
    2. Self employed.
    3. Being kept by an incredibly rich older woman who's just using you for sex.