Pirate Records, Rankings and Shieldholders

1232425262729»

Comments

• i just read the part about a bonus point for doing an extra hard one.....like hawaii or lanza......I think Wales must be added to that list and so I can upgrade to admiral  image

• Seren, I agree about Wales.

• Sadly, Duda, it ain't a democracy. The rules is set, innit. Andthey say no bonus for Wales.

• M..o.useM..o.use ✭✭✭

You could put a case that Wales didn't exist when the rankings were created and it could join the extra hard group but I don't know how you'd ratify it. Drag Candy out of the woodwork?

• You could counter argue that Wales just isn't hard enough. When Lanza was included, it was significantly harder than it is now, because now they've resurfaced the roads. 

But now I've run out of caring, because it makes no actual difference either way.

• M..o.useM..o.use ✭✭✭

If they've resurfaced the roads in Lanza, they've missed a few bits. 

• YOu could argue what every you like, there does seem to be a lot of that on here at times but if its not a democracy and the Pirate King is lost to Davey Jones locker with much of the old crew lost to apathy or injury what's to stop the rules being amended by mutiny? image

Maybe it makes a difference to newer shipmates, just a thought.

• Better convene the course toughness committee...

• Mouse - more than likely. But yes, 2007/2008 or thereabouts, they did an enormous resurfacing job which significantly improved the roads. Just think how bad it used to be.

Now I'm way, way past my caring threshold.

• Duda wrote (see)

Pirate King is lost to Davey Jones locker

I think he's still about, but muntiny is always an option

• FerrousFerret, it was meant to be a humorous remark due to Candy Olliers avatar and his lack of posts in the tri  forum, a little to obtuse maybe.. One day I may get the hang of this humour lark but then again.

• for those way past their caring threshold. no doubt KK will be along once her ban has been lifted to add some care back into matters

care in the co-mutiny maybe

• M..o.useM..o.use ✭✭✭
    Mais non. This is it, apparently, banned for good.
  • As there are no rules i can add whatever race I like to my own personal Tallyimageimage

I think Wales was well hard........image

I think Candy should be made to do it so he can assimageess it....but there again I didn't think he had done Hawaiii and he said that was hard

• I think this was debated to some extent last year and the year before, I cant remember the outcome.

My thoughts: 

Lanza is hard, the hardest? (irrespective of bike course resurfacing in 2006?), I think many would struggle to argue for a harder race so it justifies its position.  Talking of which brings up Wales, I can only think of one course which genuinely challenges Lanza and its Wales.

Ive not done Kona yet, and it surely deserves its place given the requirement for qualification, non wetsuit swim, temperature, wind etc but on a course for course basis is it harder than Wales, UK, etc?

Personally I think Wales deserves the extra point, but whether the' rules' need changing, and who makes the decision is anyone's guess to hazard.

Interestingly my slowest Ironman finish is at Florida image

• Seren - yes, you can. The pros and cons of having non-enforced rules! 

Carl - I never said Lanza wasn't hard. Just that I think it used to be even harder. Re: Kona, if it wasn't for the non-wetsuit, single lap, sea swim, the heat and the wind, it would be a ridiculously easy course. The weather (and how well you cope with the heat) makes it vary between tough and extremely tough. I always thought Candy's bonus point was to reflect the qualification aspect (as he specified "only if you get there the honorable way", ie not the lottery. I think we can class Legacy as honorable, but even i would place very little premium on what I think.)

Mouse - really? What did she do?

• Mutineer wrote (see)
    Obviously we need a hall of fame, and I was sufficiently bored on my long ride last saturday to come up with a pirate rank system based upon experience HALL OF FAME (Record holders)
    Men: IM Captain Rosey (10:30)
    Double IM ---
    Women: IM 1st Mate Monique (11:5X)?
    Double IM ---
    SHIELD HOLDERS (until the next official annual Pirate IM competition - IMDE2006) Fastest Finisher 145: Junior Pirate Count (due to being fast)
    Best Novice 145: Semen Barlist (due to vote rigging by Jj)
    The Rank system. On a points basis, where only IM distance or longer counts for points. Its not a knitting club.
    1 point per IM finish.
    1 bonus point for doing the extra hard ones (norseman, lanzarote, Wales and [but only if you get in by the honourable route, qualification or legacy] hawaii).
    2 points for double IM finish.
    1 bonus point for every time you win a shield or set a record (above).
    1 bonus point for becoming "reasonably competent" (i.e. the first time you crack 12 hours).
    1 bonus point for becoming "outstanding" (i.e. the first time you crack 10 hours).
    -1 point for a DNF (its not a quitting club). Note that if you miss cut off but still finish the course (even if it takes 20 hours) then you still get the point.
    ranks
    0 landlubber
    1 scurvey dog
    2 seaman
    3 junior pirate
    4 pirate
    5 2nd mate
    6 1st mate
    7 commander
    8 captain
    9 admiral
    10 admiral (2 parrots)
    11 admiral (3 parrots)
    etc 15 pirate king blackbeard
    eg, barlist = 2 finish - 1 dnf + 1 shield = 2
    TC = 1 finish + 1 shield + 1 reasonably competent = 3
    Mo = 3 finish + 1 reasonably competent + 1 record + 1 bonus hawaii = 6
    Rosey = 5 finish + 1 reasonably competent + 1 record + 1 bonus norseman = 8

• fat buddha wrote (see)

care in the co-mutiny maybe

That made me properly laugh. 

So I'm either a junior Pirate or a Pirate depending on the Welsh one being tough enough.  I'm happy with that . I can retire next year quite contented. image

• Quote function fail!!

• M..o.use wrote (see)

really?  thought it was a bit quiet....image

who did she offend this time, or what did she do to get the total ban??  (which there are ways around if you know how)

• fat buddha wrote (see)
    M..o.use wrote (see)

really?  thought it was a bit quiet....image

who did she offend this time, or what did she do to get the total ban??  (which there are ways around if you know how)

That was the funny part, She used the usual ways to get round a ban, But still couldn't manage to behave and it was obvious she was back...

.. Think she was put up against a printing press and shot at dawn ( I said at dawn, Not by Dawn !)

• yeh - but what got the ban in the 1st place?  no doubt Lady Stella had some influence in it

• Think I'll take the 5th on that, but the verbals generally started as the sun slipped below the yard arm
  • To fuel the hard race discussion should Celtman be included, that wasn't a race when the rankings were done but is (or looks) bloody hard.

• Quite happy to remain as 'The Admiral' and be proud of it. 

• Quick
    update on the shields,

They’ve been with a local trophy shop for 6 weeks and were supposedly getting a
    quote, what has happened is they’ve gone ahead with the work to have a ‘craftsman’
    make larger shields using our existing as a template. 

They still cant give me a price (will do next week I think), but its sounding
    like a lot, just the craftsman work is £70 a shield.  As a comparable Timpson already quoted me £120
    per shield.

They have confirmed its their mistake and we’re not obliged to go ahead.

Intention is to pay the money from the pirate kitty if what’s in their stands
    the cost. 

Watch this space

• Sounds reasonable, except the part about the shop starting the work without the go-ahead!

I'm assuming if the contents of the kitty isn't enought there will be a whipround?? If there is then I'm happy to make a contribution!