Shades Marathon Training

Comments

• I hope so too Elspeth but I think I may have to take it easy for a couple of days - my jab is due on Thursday which makes me tired and a bit vulnerable anyway. Are you running today?
    If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭

LMH - sorry to hear you're a bit poorly, hope it passes quickly.   Weather is nice here too, sunny but a bit chilly.

elspeth - you've just done a tough off road ultra so an off road marathon would cause you no problems at all.   I believe Portsmouth was fairly flat and 'fast' for an off road.

Am really enjoying my new computer and so far keeping my emails up to date.   I was keeping up with my emails via webmail anyway but I've since discovered that I didn't get a lot of my emails via webmail anyway, mostly personal ones too, but never mind.

Goulash is in the slow cooker and smells divine, needs 5 or 6 hours to cook.

• I er superglued it back in place Shades image No idea whether its classed as a MOT failure or not, but when it came off it took a skim of glass from the inside of the windscreen too. Unless they look at the right bit you'd probably not see it anyway.

I have been shopping although i didn't get a huge amount really, i have enough to last me probably to the end of the week, well thursday. Will probably go down again wednesday i think as there was only one bag of cat litter there plus i can get some more cat food to make sure she has plenty for when i am away over xmas.

Dinner will be chicken breasts in piri sauce with a jacket potato, followed by half a Co-op toffee cheesecake, unless i get carried away and do a long long run. Was gonna go up the cycle track a bit to roughly where i go for a 10k out and back run but come home a slightly different way which adds a couple of miles on to the distance. All told 8-9 miles which will be adequate for today, tis frosty out after all as i had the car spinning going up the hill. More to do with having to stop on the frosty bit part way up to let people down than anything else though.

• HM4HM4 ✭✭✭

Shades,

That's good news. We usually keep the old laptops in case anythng goes wrong with the replacement the old one is always there to fall back on.

Mowzer,

The weather can be like that in Petersfield at times.  At the moment it feels very mild, (or it did yesterday - not been out today).

VR.

Well done.

Keith,

Hope you get the mirror fixed.  Well done onthe run.

(((LMUH)))

Hope it doesn't turn into a full blown cold.

----------

We have a bit of excitement in the street at the mo in the shape of about 5-8 bird watchers tryng to get a glimpse of a wax wing as they are usually only found on the east side of the country. (They're a scandinivan bird which winter over here).

• It has unfortunately HY4 - but it's only a minor inconvenience really isn't it? How are you feeling?

Keith - how long are you going to abandon the poor cat for over the festive season image

Shades - I'd be lost without internet - though I am spending less time with it lately I think.

• HM4HM4 ✭✭✭

LMUH,

Getting there.  I've not got any bruising coming out yet which is a surprise.

• HY - at least you can still birdwatch with a broken arm, and I guess the milder weather means you can get out more. We see a few waxwings here, they like the berries outside our front door.

LMUH - not running today, hope to get another reasonable length run tomorrow though before the snow returns.

Keith - have just seen a recipe for mincemeat cheesecake which looked nice - but I've not got around to making any mincemeat yet this year.

Shades - your goulash sounds lovely, used to have a slow cooker but it broke and we don't use it often enough to bother to replace it.

VR not up yet.......tuts, you'll have to give her one of your stern looks Shadesimage. I bet she hasn't done her recovery run eitherimage

• Els - Mincemeat cheesecake hmm i could give that a bash, got te recipe?

LMUH - About a week roughly, not sure when precisely i'm going home or coming back yet.

Somewhat slippy out on my run with the frosty patches plus the icy remains of the snow, or in some shaded spots sheet ice still. Opted for 7.2 miles which took a mere 67:32 but then thats mostly cos on the return i did 8:58 down hill then 8:55 on the flat with mile 7 in 8:39 not that i thought i was going quite that fast. Had spotted a guy running ahead so slowly overhauled him then nipped off the cycle track homewards.

• Poor you LMUHimage Get well soon.

Mincemeat cheesecake?? Sounds interesting Elspethimage

Glad your up and running with your computer Shades, you can catch up with your planning for next year at lastimage

Ran 10 miles with MrMac yesterday, or rather 5 then I ran away from him in the huff and completed the run myself. He was being a big moaning minnie and I'd had enough! Ran 5 miles today on my own and had a ball. Coming to the sad conclusion that I'm getting too selfish to run with him anymore.image Put the tree up this afternoon and am off to make chestnut truffles as soon as Alfie wakes up - he's on my knee and I don't have the heart to move himimage

• I've been up for hours!!!

We did go out for breakfast this morning for a full fry up!!! image

False eyelashes kept falling off! so I abandoned that idea.
    The journey back from Portsmouth took ages so that left me very little time to get ready. It was good fun and I have aching feet from all the dancing. I got presented with a bottle of Bubbly for winning the battle with our Chairman for the most marathons this year. 

The Portsmouth Coastal Waterfront Marathon was a low key event which was nice. But I missed the start after queuing for the toilets. So I dashed off to join the back of the field. My first mile split was 8.09!!
    Lots of familiar faces and very sociable for the first few miles. The route was very flat following the coastline on footpaths, shingle even some beach and onto an old railway line to Hayling Island and at halfway we turned around a chair to come back the same way.
    It was a bit boring really and a bit dull, made worse by the grey conditions. But at least it wasn't too cold which was good.  All I wanted from the run was too keep running strongly to the finish and a sub 4.30
    quietly hoping for around 4.15.
    Unfortunately I had stomach ache from 10 miles which slowed me up a lot. I was hoping it would just go away but it never does does it? Had to stop eventually, after that I felt much better and made some time back. passed lots of people on the way to the finish. Not sure what my time was officially but roughly 4.23 / 4.24

• LMUH - Sorry to hear your not well and hope you recover quickly.

Mrs. Mac - What was Mr. Mac moaning about?
    Can't imagine him moaning, you weren't going too fast were you?

• HM4HM4 ✭✭✭

VR,

Well done.  The old railway line sounds as though you were running along part of the Hayling Billy route.

Elspeth,

Bird watching isn't really my kind of thing.

MrsMac,

Aww bless.  Alfie has to get his priorities right.  It can be demanding running with the OH.  I've only done it once & don't think I'd do it again.

• SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭

Keith - I don't think they'd check under the mirror for MOT, I think it just has to be in driver's view  area to fail (but not sure)

HY4 - I have put my old tower in the wardrobe, i can't access the data on it as it doesn't have enough memory to even start up.   But although I've lost over a 1,000 email addresses and masses of other stuff I'm managing fine so far without it.   I've kept it in case I do need to access the data and I can then get a friend to increase the memory to get the data off.

LMH - Luckily I've had internet access at work so have managed to do the bare minimum, except buy a lottery ticket as banned from gaming sites at work!

Elspeth - I don't use the slow cooker as often as I should but when I do it's with amazing results.  I haven't eaten the goulash yet, have cooked it for nearly 7 hours, off to cook the rice in a minute, the smell is wonderful.

MrsMac - LOL at leaving Mr Mac half way through your run!

VR - well done for yesterday's marathon.   LOL at the eyelashes.   Can you put the link up for the great photo of you so the others can see. 

Not quite sure I believe that you didn't have a hangover todayimage

Signing off now until tomorrow, dinner beckonsimage

• Shades - I think most peeps on here have seen the photo as it's my profile pic on Facebook.

Enjoy your dinner, sounds lovely.

HY4 - Yes part of the route was on the Billy Line. Do you live near there then?

• HM4HM4 ✭✭✭

VR,

About 25-30 min drive away.  I've fancied doing the Hayling Billy 5 but as it's mid week it makes it a bit awkward with my shifts.

• Shades - If its data only you need then its a 'simple' case of connecting the old hard drive to the new PC and copying the relevant data across. Although if its email addresses its a little harder than simply accessing the files on the old hard drive as you'd need to find the right file in the email programs files to aquire them.
  • Well done on beating the club chairman to the bottle of bubbly VRimage It is a great photo btw!

To be fair, MrMac is still suffering a lot of pain in his ankles and getting nowhere with physio etc. This means he is very slow and quiet as he warms up, then he's ok. Its just I seem to be faster than him these days and sometimes this is frustrating for me, and when he starts moaning about it the negativity gets to me. Yesterday, I'd had enough. I know this means 'Bad Wife of the Year' award is probably winging its way to me as we speakimage I made hime a lovely dinner tonight to make up for itimage

• Nice to see mowzer briefly today but sadly i did not enjoy Bedford after the first couple of miles.  By the 3rd mile someone appeared to have sneaked lead into my thighs and despite not being puffed at all I simply couldn't get the pace up.  Regrouped and decided I was doing a long run rather quickly in company and that, along with telling myself I could walk at 10 if I had to (I didn't) got me found without going into the doldrums.  I did pick up a bit at the end and overtook quite a few people in the last couple of miles.
  • HM4HM4 ✭✭✭

Bridget,

Well done.

-----------

Someone has decided 9pm is a good time to start baking a chocolate cake which isn't even in the oven yet & takes abou 45-60 min to cook and he also doesn't have any baking powder.  However we have found that you can use baking soda & vinegar as an alternative.

It's going to be interesting to see how it turns out.  

• mowzermowzer ✭✭✭

Well done VR image. One more on the notch. And well done on winning the bubbly image.

Good to see you today USB, shame you didn't enjoy the race. I found it tough because of the 'undulations' - known in my book as 'hills'. They weren't too steep - just went on and on. A lovely fast downhill mile at 9 -10 mls to make up for it. A look at my splits tells you exactly where the hills were. Unfortunately my downs aren't fast enough to compensate for my slowness on the ups. My legs just would not go any faster and I ended up with 1:56:36, which is only a couple of minutes off my PB. Nice race and very enthusiastic marshalls.

Nearly didn't get out of bed this morning. After yesterday's balmy weather I had put out my shorts and vest all ready. Took a look out of the window this morning - there was a thick frost and it was COLD. After a bit (well, a lot) of indecisiveness I eventually decided I might as well go and found more suitable attire. Got hot while running, but very cold again afterwards - even with a hot coffee.

Keith - nothing to do with computers is 'simple' image.

• SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭

Keith - it's mostly email addresses and emails that would be most useful to me.   I'm not going to bother at this stage as so far I can get the info that I need.

Mrs Mac - ankle injuries take a very long time to fully heal.   Perhaps you should just train separately a couple of times a week.

Bridget - sorry to hear you had a bad run, any reason?

mowser -well done on a good race and so close to your PB.

did you get your laptop sorted out?

Lovely here this morning, no ice or frost, very pleasant running weather.

• Bleurgh.
  • Morning

I take it your not too good this morning LMUH? image

Shades - Welcome back to the early morning postings image

• SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭

LMH - ooh, nasty cold, poor you

VR - yes, the days of tidying my flat before leaving for work are over.  And getting to work early, but that was to use the internet anyway.

Now where's our 'Flossie in love'?

• morning.. well had the hangover of the century yesterday.. didn't stop throwing up until late last night.. so missed my 25 min run.. gutted but couldn't do a thing about it.. every time i stood up i got sick! feel like a plonker!
  • Oh dear Bootsie! Not nice! Did you have a good time though?
  • i think so vr.. it was good.. just scared coming into work this morning in case i had done something stupid as it was work do! seems to be ok so far!

gutted to break my running every day in december thing though! 

• HM4HM4 ✭✭✭

(((Bootise)))

Hope you're feeling better now.

• Shades - still here and in love image and have also still got gross cold from 2 weeks ago or maybe it's another one.  Not looking good for Saturday as haven't trained for 2.5 weeks due to being poorly, but will still come to support, count laps if need be and supply cakes.  image
  • i'm more in love than ever.. OH took care of me so nicely yesterday even though it was totoalyl self inflicted.. he is wonderful.. not to mention he looked very very hot at the party on sat night!!

Flossie you poor thing..  what race is on sat