Shades Marathon Training

Comments

• Erm i thought thats what works xmas do's were for??? First one with this job i er went home at 5:30pm in a drunken state. Another time i fell asleep in a very comy armchair to be awoken by a doorman removing me via a headlock. Have been evicted from pubs in a similar manner twice too on normal nights out.
  • Oh i also made the error of looking at next weeks forecast on metcheck, 46 mm of rain next tuesday falling as snow, which is at least a foot's worth i think. Some on the monday night too so perhaps i will be walking home from my second xmas dinner after all image
  • HM4HM4 ✭✭✭

Keith,

I'm going to make your day 46mm = 4.6cm = 1.75 inches.  So potentially not too much but could be enough to cause chaos.

• Keith!!! You REBEL!!!!   Lol at being removed via a headlock. That's funny image

Flossie - Must be all that snogging!  Hope you feel better soon.  

• HY4 - Er the figure is as if it is rain image The old general rule of thumb is that you multiple by 10 for snow equivalent which means nigh on 18 inches. Metcheck wasn't listing 50mm or so during the snow falls the other week but  more like 5mm.

VR - Its partly due to consuming multiple bottles of wine both during and after the actual xmas diiner which generally is 12:30pm. The other year we were on cheeky vimtoes (port and blue wkd's) whilst still on the free bar with work. I did however manage to go home in one piece and when i wanted to.

• keith i feel a bit better after hearing that!! well done you!
  • HM4HM4 ✭✭✭

Keith,

Never knew that.  Will have to let Chris know as we're planning on visiting his parents next Sunday for a present swap.

• SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭

Oh the joys of Xmas and particularly the work do's, very funny to read.

Flossie - It's unlikely I'll be at Bournemouth unless the forecast changes, will be too cold for me and not sure of driving conditions, forecast is bad for Devon too.

Glad to hear you're still in love thoughimage

• Meh Metcheck has gone to old faithful 'data unavailble', i only looked as my boss said it looked fine. I suspect he had the wrong week though image
  • shades.. from what i heard weather is going to be icy this weekend.. not safe for a long drive
  • Shades - no idea why it was tough yesterday.  Can't really blame the fact I'd run a max of 9 miles in one go since the track mara as I felt it from early on.  Just one of those things I think.
  • Mild but gray day here, my run felt a bit of a slog, wore my shoes from Torquay but really feel heavy footed in them - think I will order a new pair of Mizumo's sooner or later. 10 miles done in expectation of more snow later in week - or so we're told!

Bridget and Mowser - well done yesterday, Sorry it felt tough Bridgetimage.

"Flossie in love" hope you feel better soon - and are able to run rather than support at the weekend, a bit cold for standing around for ages I'd say.

Bootsieimage - oh dear. Maybe I'm glad I avoided our Christmas work do at the weekend, though as it's 10 miles drive away I think everyone would have had to be sensible. Opted for a night by the fire instead - must be getting oldimage

LMUH - poor you, not nice having to work when not wellimage, hope it's not too cold where you are.

Apart from running this morning fairly productive day and done some more of the dread Christmas shopping this afternoon. Might even get some of the parcels in the post before Christmas. Still a few of the difficult folk to think of presents for though.

• HM4HM4 ✭✭✭

Elspeth,

We've got the food shop on Saturday which is going to be fun as I hate food shopping with Chris but it's going to better than leaving him to it as he's more likely to get things we don't need/won't use.

• SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭

Bridget - maybe just an off day for you then.

Elspeth - good for you getting some Xmas shopping done.   I haven't done much yet, every year I enjoy the Xmas prep less and less.  The turkey I get from work and I will make my cake on Sunday.   Haven't done my cards either, I'm going to cut my card list and only send to non-email contacts and next year try and cut the list a bit further.

I love Xmas but for the time off work and all the extra training I can do plus other stuff with a long break from work.....oh and I love the Xmas food too!

Off for 2nd run of the day now, think the weather will hamper my training at the end of the week so had better make the most of it now.

• Our card list is pretty small these days.  MiL had 2 columns on an A4 pad titled Christmas list.  I assume they are the ones she sent but she now appears to be ticking off names when she has had a card from them.  Not sure if it is for pruning purposes or so she can bitch when someone doesn't send one image
  • Well done Mowser on the half mara.

Sorry you had a rough run SB, like you say, just an off-day hopefully.

You take care LMUH.

What a shame you had to break your decemberthon (Marcothon?) bootsie. Thats my worry as I've got two parties next weekend.

Ran the bare minimum for my december challenge tonight, 3 miles. Felt rubbish all afternoon but still managed to average 7.40m/mimage Think I just wanted finished.

• MrsMac.. it sucked really but doubled up tonight and did a 6 miler.. i know it doesn't make up for it.. but was proud of myself cause i still felt rotten but did it anyway in 55 mins.. that sort of counts right??
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭

bootsie - must have been one hell of a hangover!

Cold for last night's run and bloody freezing this morning with a heavy frost, not good for my hamstring but I'm trying to get my mileage to a reasonable figure this week.

• RHR is down but definitely still ill so another day of doing nothing. Hoping to be well enough for something gentle tomorrow but not counting on it. Why does it feel as if all your fitness is draining away when you have more than a day off?

bootsie - that must have been some hangover. How is your foot coping with all the running?

Mrs Mac - you are Mrs Speedy!

Shades - snow forecast for us again on Thursday.

VR - well done on the champers - love the stuff myself.

Hope you feel better soon Flossie.

If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.
  • HM4HM4 ✭✭✭

Bridget,

I never understood that kind of thing with xmas cards.  The first year I didn't send cards and donated to charity it reduced the cards I received from work by 75%.

Mrs Mac,

That's quick.  Well done.

LMUH,

I dread to think what my fitness is going to be like when I start back.  Chris knows I can't wait to start back however has said that a friend of a work colleague is still having problems recovering from a broken shoulder 6 months after it was broken.  He doesn't know where the break was & has said the person has had problems with the physio due to the pain.

• SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭

LMH - I know exactly what you mean about that  feeling that you're losing all your fitness, it's depressing.   But fortunately untrue.   Glad you're feeling a little better today

HY4 - don't worry about that now, positive thinking that you'll make a full and speedy recovery.  

Don't feel like going to work today but I suppose I'd better goimage

VR - had an email from 100 club, saying your marathon place is secured, of course you realise that you can't win the handicap marathon (as a non member), although you will of course be listed in the results.   Hippo won it one year

• HM4HM4 ✭✭✭

Shades,

Thanks.  I'm hoping that too.

• Shades - I'm sure I'll be ok if I don't win it. lol!
    What concerns me more is, if it's cold and your not there. Will I still go?

LMUH - Are you off work?

• LMUH take it easy.. well done for resting..

foot is coping well actually.. have taken out the "orthotics" CPSIC gave me cause pod said they were rubbish.. and still waiting on my new runners to start using my new orthotics.. so am just using my normal support shoe... seems to be working.  Unfortunately the side of my calf is a bit sore from wearing heels on sat night so thats niggling now but runnign wise its all good!! back on track and not going to miss another day of this running in dec! 

• VR - I think I would be if I had a normal job but it's not really an option at the minute. As long as walking Grace, work and cooking dinner is about all that I do I can cope. To be honest after walking Grace this morning I don't think there's much chance of me doing anything much before the weekend. Such is life eh? The break will probably do me more good than harm.

Shades - I think my legs are benefiting from the rest to be honest. Probably came at a good time.

HY4 - I don't suppose there's much that you can do at all at the minute is there?

• SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭

VR - I will still run if it's cold weather, will only DNS if the weather is too bad to drive (which it was last year).   Of course you'll have to join as a 'wannabe' after attending an AGMimage, you'll soon be at 50 marathons anyway.

bootsie - have you signed the pledge for the rest of the month then?

LMH - yes, I'm sure the rest will do you good.   What's your next target event?

• i said i would run every day in dec. missed that one so just going to carry on and do as much as i can
  • LMUH - It must be hard to do the bare minimum but at least you can put a positive spin on it. Not much choice really! Take care.

Shades - I always forget about the driving bit!

I can't seem to get into this Christmas thing. It would be a lot better if it was once every 5 years. Then I'm sure I would enjoy it more.

I haven't started shopping yet. I don't do cards anymore.
    We did get the tree last Sunday but only after revisiting the shop 3 times when I realised if I didn't get it here, there wouldn't be one at all.

The good news is my trainers arrived image Now that's way more important image

• VR i'm not doing cards either.. did my shopping online .. much easier

My trainers have still not arrived but they are now being re posted so fingers crossed!!! 

• I'm trying to keep it in perspective VR - it is only a cold and it has only been a few days and for someone with a rubbish immune system I've done quite well this year.

Shades - Brass Monkey half on the 24th January is my next target. I'd like to get my PB below 1.40.

bootsie - 'signed the pledge' - as in given up drinking for the rest of the month (so it won't interfere with your plans to run every day again.