Shades Marathon Training

Comments

• Morning

We've had another couple of inches of snow here so we won't be going anywhere.
    Looks lovely out there image Shall go out for a run later

Flossie - My phone has packed up so I didn't get your message. God knows what's wrong with it.

• SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭

Morning all from a snowy Newton Abbot.   Am just back from the toughest workout I've done for ages.   walked down to Asda to get enough essential food shop for me and also my Mum, but I also picked up a sizeable leg of lamb for my Mum (which she's cooking on NYD).   Then walked back to my Mum's with 3 heavy bags of shopping in the snow, was really hard work.   I'm sure my arms are 2" longer than when I started.  Can't get my car out, well I probably could as long as I didn't have to stop to give way at the main roadimage, but wouldn't be able to get the car back up the road or into our cul de sac.   I had an entertaining five minutes watching a guy trying to get a BMW up our hill, he had to give up in the end and slide ungracefully back down to the main road.

mowser - LOL at the nativity play, that girl is just not maternal is she? 

Keith - I feel a bit squeamish reading about what you ate yesterday, hope the head and the tum is OK today

SiJ - that's one hell of a Xmas do, must be some good drinkers in your companyimage

VR - sorry you've had to miss your marathon.   The snow is lovely for running, I'm going to go out later too, but have to venture down town for a bit of shopping first, want to get that done before the pavements freeze.

• lol keith!! hope you are feeling healthy today.. i'm just about to head out to the horses and then going to go and do my 8 miler in the gym i think.. need to swap shoes half way through so that i do some in my old runners and some in my new orthotics.. dont want to be doing that outside.. that and its bloody icy!! then its off tgo london for the day hopefully to go ice skating!! !
  • Morning.

mowzer - your 'Mary' sounds a bit like me on the maternal front image

Keith - lots of veg in there.

James - hope your youngsters have a good day and appreciate you freezing for them.

VR - shame about the marathon but not worth the risk.

SiJ - blimey, sounds like an interesting course - is it relevant to your teams work? I'm not sure about the bill - that's hefty.

Shades - Mark took a half day yesterday and came shopping with me, it was much less manic than I was expecting but we haven't had any snow to worry people.

bootsie - get yourself a good play list, remember that you're 'only' doing a 4 mile run then you'll stop - and then it's only another 4 mile run - and you can do those easily.

Was planning on a ride on the mtb today but have a filthy sinus headache - not related to resuming training yesterday as my RHR is actually down again today - and back to what it was before I was ill - but to TOTM and/or my jab. Tomorrow's LSR is my priority so I shall take a rest day today - even though it's my sixth of the week image

If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.
  • VR - am running in half an hour - snowy here = shame about your marathon but unsurprising!

Feeling a bit stiff from work yesterday too - and arms ache!

• SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭

LMH - I'm sure you'll break that run of 6 rest days tomorrow

elspeth - my arms ache too, I've just done the washing up and they're really sore.

Sun has come out here and the town looks really pretty.   Off for another trudge in the snow, shopping etc

• It was a lot of sprouts in there and the sprout effect was in full swing too last night image Still it was that busy no one noticed or at least blamed me image

Head and and  tum is fine naturally, it can easily handle way more food that that and i drank less than usual too.

About a inch of snow outside but i believe LB's area was worse hit with the M6 and M61 both shut for several hours at one point last night.

• You're not kidding.....image

I can't remember the last time we had this much snow. Life round here has literally stopped. It's amazing!

I am back running and I shall not be disappearing again in the New Year!

Congrats to Bridget who is a VERY worthy super six winner!

• How much snow though LB image

We have er probably a inch or so at most, enough to cause chaos last night as it was settling on the main roads too.

• HM4HM4 ✭✭✭

Keith & SiJ,

Sounds like you both had a god time.

LB,

Well done.

-----------

Trip up to Nuneaton is off as Chris' Mum is getting over swine flu & doesn't want to pass it onto us (in particular to me as she's had a horrible cough and I am susceptible to picking up coughs). 

• We don't have too much snow although it is falling gently as I type.

After chancing the roads last night to get the weekly shop I opted for caution this morning and cancelled my volunteering at parkrun.  As I plan to go over to MK tomorrow morning to get stuff from M&S (got a voucher for £5 off £35 in the food/drink area) I will go for a snowy run up to Stowe later.

mowzer - James may well be right if you are using the finger pad on the laptop.  When I have the parkrun one I find things opening up when I don't want them!  We have a mouse for the home one which I much prefer.

• Someone has just posted a photo on FB. We have 7 inches. That's a lot in 4 hours of snowing!
  • But on the plus side, there are some bloody good snowmen being built in this street! image
  • Just snowmen so far or have the older 'kids' started making smutty snow things yet?
  • HM4HM4 ✭✭✭

LB,

We've had about 3 inches which appears to have brought things to a halt and a family have built a snowman in the playing field which is about 4-5 foot high.

• It's lovely out there!

Just ran 7 miles on perfect powdery snow. Loved it.

• mowzermowzer ✭✭✭

James & Bridget - thanks for advice re laptop. I have a mouse so I could try that out.

So much for weather forecasts. Two that I checked said chance of light snow and the other just had cloudy. We have had thick, heavy snow for the last couple of hours. image It's about 3 inches deep and still falling. Eldest daughter just came back from the gym and they are closing early. She couldn't turn her van around outside our house as there's all ice underneath. Don't think I'll even get out to do shopping today.

Keith & SiJ - sounds like you both enjoyed yourselves.

• Just three of us out this morning, was quite nice though snowing heavily towards the end and hard work in the deep stuff. For once I was managing better than the other two as had my trail shoes onimage. 12 miles in the snow, very little traffic image.

Hard to warm up now though!

Fingers crossed for middle daughter travelling home today. Boat should be ok if she gets to Aberdeen ok.

Shopping and present wrapping for me this afternoon so I can post parcels Mon. Who knows if they will go anywhere!

SiJ - sounds expensiveimage. How is your daughter doing?

• Still snowing here too but I have picked up my shirt from Asics that should have been in the goody bag at Birmingham.  Lovely long sleeved winter top image
  • And I've got snow too!!! Mini has been off school and I daren't venture out! Not much running going on here! All sorts of negative things have been going on, I can't wait for this year to end! My eldest dog fell onto a rake and I've spent the last 12 days at the vets and luckily she's pulling through. In the meantime I had to organize Mini's 11th birthday party and I've started teaching part-time at school. The headmaster of my language school has threatened me that if I don't do an evening course then he'll take the morning ones off me, so I'm looking for something else and I've got an interview on Monday.

Good news: I'm in as an official pacemaker at Rome mara on March 20th (4h45 group)image Completely spoilt by OH saying if you don't lose weight it'll be the last time you'll be one once they see how fat you are!"image 

Hope everyone's ok!!!! will start the mega read back now.......

• HM4HM4 ✭✭✭

(((Molly))),

The idots (both of them).  Well done on getting the pacemaker entry.  Hope the dog continues to improve. Isit unusual to getsnow where you are in Italy.

• (((Molly))) - lovely to see you, sorry to hear that things still aren't going well - you must be due a change of fortune. Ignore OH - when he can run as far and as fast as you he can comment, until then he can keep it shut! What a pain about the language school too - they didn't say that you had to evenings when you took the job did they? Do you have no employee rights in Italy? I bet your poor dog falling on the rake was very stressful, glad to hear that she's getting better.

Elspeth - I think  it's iv hot fluids to warm up at the moment - this mornings frost is still on the ground here but no snow. Can't say I'm looking forward to tomorrow's LSR - not sure I can go fast enough to keep warm!

If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.
  • mowzermowzer ✭✭✭

((( Molly ))). Glad the dog is going to be OK image. Great that you're an official pacemaker image. Re OH and headteacher - do men in Italy have no brains? image

Still snowing image. Well done Elspeth on getting out for a run. You're obviously made of tougher stuff up there image.

• Molly - what mouser said!!!

Great to have you back, sorry about your dog and job problems though. Don't know what your OH is talking about you could run that time with your legs tied together on your past formimage. Glad you've got that to look forward to.

LMUH - you will be fine, you're much faster than me and I was quite warm while running as it wasn't windy.

Rest of shopping done - I hope but not sure I can face the wrapping up just yet.

LB - welcome backimage, training going well then?

• Hi Molly image  Good news about Rome, image to the OH

Done 4.5 miles in increasingly blizzard like snow but was really warm in my new bits of kit (they gave us gloves and hat too).  Cars struggling up the slope in the middle of town entertaining the smokers outside the pub.

• SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭

LB - good news that you're back running, might be tough work in that much snow.   I bet your snowman has got designer accessories thoughimage

molly - your poor dog, so glad she's recovering.  It's time you had some good luck.   Keep focused on that weight loss target and make 2011 a great year.

We've had no more snow today, but everything is freezing here now, not sure I'll get much of a run tomorrow, might have to just do laps of the park but I'm hoping the smaller roads still have fresh snow so I can run on them

• evening all.. lb well done image

((((molly's dog)))))

did my 8 miler.. did 2 miles on the treadmill then changed shoes.. then did 4 miles with new then changed back to do the last 2 miles with old as pod suggested.. foot gave way in the last half a mile.. struggled to finish by running on my heel and keep weight off the mid-front section of my foot.. not impressed! 

then headed to london in the blizzard and went ice skating.. had  alovely time in the end and delighted i didn't let the snow put me off image 

• Been to Carlisle today and the trip down town was entertaining. Took the short cut across the science park past work on virgin snow which is handy as if needs be i'll slip and slide my way over there and do laps of the ring road which at a mile isn't to bad. Took about 75 mins to cover the 4 miles or so to the station despite running along the edge of the main road in the cycle lane to speed the trip up. Got to the station bang on time to be told it was to be a bus as the train had no conductor and was going direct to Carlisle without stopping.

Managed to do the shopping i needed to do and got Granny and Aunties pressies (M&S gift cards) , books for mother and father and a new mobile for me. Slipped down to Granny's to drop off their pressies as well as pick up stuff for going south with me next week. Headed back to the station via subway for a footlong meatball marinara with honey mustard relish in honey and oat bread.

Trip back was fine and got a taxi home which, when allowing a car to go the other way just up the road from here, skidded off the road despite barely going very fast whch shows how slippy the snow covering the road is.

Currently watching Ice Road Truckers: Deadliest roads, they are taking supplies up into the Himalayas on some dodgy roads. Was on the history channel and i'd not recommend it as family viewing as its post watershed and unbleeped. Probably a good job as it would be one long bleep really.

• SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭

Morning all....are you all being lazy today and having a lie in?  This will probably x-post with LMH

Bloody freezing here, haven't been out yet but it looks like everything has frozen and roads and pavements are in a worse state than yesterday.   The snow was pretty but it can go now.  Am going to see if I can walk down to Sainsbury's to get a few things and then I can see if I can find somewhere safe to run later today

Keith - well your Xmas shopping seemed rather stress free

bootsie - sorry to hear about the foot, but maybe you should have stopped at the point it started to hurt.   Well done on the ice skating, I think I could do with lessons myself for the walk to the shop today and I'll probably have to walk to work tomorrow too

• Morning Shades!image I am up. My little boy came in at 5am to tell me that his tooth had fallen out.

I am desperate to get out for a run but have never run in snow as i am scared of slipping over. How do you know whether it is safe?

We have had to cancel the twins birthday party todayimage They are very disappointed.

Elspeth- my daughter is about the same. thanks for asking. We have a psychiatrist appointment in Jan.

LMUH- i hope you are feeling better today.

Bootsie- bad news on the foot.