Shades Marathon Training

Comments

• SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭

Morning SiJ - Sorry to hear you've had to cancel the twins party, I don't suppose a visit from the tooth fairy is much compensation.

If the snow is fresh (untrodden) then it should be fine for running, can be quite hard work if the snow is deep but great fun, and even if you do fall it's soft to fall on.   I prefer to run on a country road and then I'd run down the middle of the road and there'd be no unexpected potholes as you could get with off road.   If the snow isn't that deep and you're worried about slipping over just keep focussed on running as well balanced as you can, sticking your elbows out will help and don't be distracted by admiring the scenery!   But don't run on it if you feel unsafe.

Are you still snowed/iced in?

• Thanks Shades. I might go and attempt a run in a bit. We haven't had any fresh snow overnight but we have about 3 inches still.

• I was in my bed Shades - had a bit of a relapse yesterday which ended up with me going to bed at 1730hrs! Got up again for a bit at 1900hrs then back to bed at 2100hrs through to this morning. Sinus is still stuffed and headache raging, just to make things better Mark now seems to have a stomach bug too image It's -7C here but still no snow. Will see how I feel after walking Grace and if able I'll get out for a run - though probably not a long one unless I perk up considerably.

SiJ - sorry to hear about the twins party. As Shades said fresh snow is best - as long as you don't fall in any pot holes - if you have a local park laps round that might be a good idea if you don't feel safe.

If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.
  • The only problem with running on the fresh snow here is that the snow fell on ice! North West Ambulance service are actually asking runners NOT to run in it! I saw someone trying to cycle in it yesterday! No helmet, no hi viz clothes and you could only see half the wheels! Unbelievable.

Keith M Stuart wrote (see)
    Just snowmen so far or have the older 'kids' started making smutty snow things yet?

So far we are having a competition to see who can make the BIGGEST snowmen but nobody has yet made a big penis, even if this unofficial competition strikes me as a massive willy waving contest anyway! One of the neighbours has built bricks from snow and made theirs an igloo! It looks really good!image

SHADES wrote (see)

LB - good news that you're back running, might be tough work in that much snow.   I bet your snowman has got designer accessories thoughimage

Mine's in the BACK garden Shades. If it was on the FRONT garden like everyone elses I'd have made his eyes from Swarovski crystals! image

Molly - I really AM quite overweight at the moment. None of my clothes fit me and I'm aware I need to drop some pounds but if Mr LB said that to me, he'd find his bollocks inside the neck of the turkey on Christmas day!image

I think the words he was looking for were "congratulations darling. I'm really proud of you and I'm sure you'll be a fantastic pacer".....image

It was -11 here when I came home last night from seeing John Bishop. Loads of people complaining that he "should have thought about the snow before putting on a gig in Liverpool" on Facebook! image Now he's funny.......but he's not God!

The roads were reasonably clear. Goodness knows where they got the snowploughs from - I've never seen them in this part of the world! Two lanes of the M62 open and the third under a foot of snow. Despite the overhead matrix signs having a big "X" in bright red flashing away, someone tried to drive in it!

The world is full of pillocks.

• morning..

molly - that man is a complete idiot!!! well done.. you deserve this after all the training you have put in.. well done! very proud of you!

heading to the gym to try a jog today.. will see if the foot holds up.. minute it starts hurting i will stop and switch ot the cross trainer.. i know i should have stopped.. but was one of those mentla things where i really needed to do my 8 miles so glad i did it! 

love ice skating!!!! want to go again1 

• LB - Er our gritters have snowploughs on the front up here so its probably the same down there.

I wasn't just referring to snow penis's btw image YOu can get quiet 'inventive' with snow shapes if there is plenty of it. Not seen any pics yet that weren't from last years snow.

Dunno if i can be bothered with going out running in this, it wasn't a deep snow fall so the roads will be slippery as hell plus legs/ankles ache a bit from trudging around Carlisle yesterday from all the slippy i was doing.

• Bootsie - I love ice skating too, not done it for years though.

SiJ - snow is fine to run on but when it gets frozen and icy you can slip easily. As Shades says hard work if deep, you will run much slower. If you have trail shoes much better grip (except on the ice) and feet stay dryer. (I'm a convertimage).

Shades - yes - guilty as charged but was up until 1am as daughters boat was late then took nearly an hour for them all to disembark via the car deck as too much swell for the passenger ramp. Then she was hungry! Fortunately I'd made extra tea.

Enjoy your snowy runs everyone, I'm having a day off but hope to be out again tomorrowimage.

LB - you have trained Mr LB much better than Mr Molly - perhaps he could come over and learn how a husband should behave!

• HM4HM4 ✭✭✭
    We had some idots make a snowball that big it didn't go thru the playing field gate & is stuck half in & out of the field.  Luckliy there are another couple of entrance points.
  • I dunno the youth of today, we'd of done that and stuck it in front of the school bus when it gets stuck going up snowy hills back in my school days image
  • 3 miles done in 30 mins image stayed safe on the treadmill and wasn't reall yin pain yay!

getting some stick from fetch about training on the treaddie all the time but i think it makes sense.. good to get used to orthotics in the gym and with the foot pain it is made alot worse when i get cold with the raynauds.. so running in the gym is a much better option!! at least i'm out there doing it! 

came home and made cranberry scones and coffee image 

• HM4HM4 ✭✭✭

Bootise,

Well done.

• bootsie - much better to be on the treadie and able to stop if you need to than a mile from home with a mile to walk in the cold! What is it with people trying to make other people feel bad about what they're doing - it's your training. It's not as though you're some beginner who thinks they can train for a marathon without ever setting foot outside!

LB - have you had the results back from your kidney tests?

Elspeth - glad your daughter made it home safely, how many more to gather in for the holidays?

I made it round my 16 miles. HR was rising a lot more than usual so I kept backing off the pace to keep it easy. My RHR was absolutely spot on this morning so not sure if it was the cold (bliddy freezing) or just making an effort that was doing it - surely I can't have lost that much fitness from less than a week off?

• Phew, exhausted reading back!

Molly, all I can say is, ditto what LB said regarding bollocks and turkeys! Brilliant news about being a pacerimage

Glad your daughter made it home Elspeth. The trail shoes are a godsend at the moment aren't they?

SiJ, what a shame your wee ones missed their partyimage

I doubt if you'd lose that much fitness in a week LMUH. Maybe just a bit of illness still hanging about. Well done getting out, bet you feel better mentally anyway.

LOL at the baby getting dropped in the nativity mowserimage

Looks like you guys are due a load more snow Shades according to the overnight forecast. Its not funny anymore is it?

Hi LBimage

bootsie, are you strapping your foot? Good news you were more or less pain free today.

Well, I survived two Christmas parties this weekend and still kept the Decemberthon challenge going! Have drank gallons of gin this weekend and haven't had so much as a headache, should I be worried?!image

• hi Mrs Mac.. no haven't strapped it yet.. hard to tell really if that helps the problem.. it hasn't done a massive amount in the past but if it gets sore again I will... if it does flare up i will switch to using the cross trainer or bike every day

Lol LMUH! totally agreed... people just try and push and push .. I am really happy with mysel fright now.. have run 18 out of the last 19 days.. thats pretty good going image 

• Mrs Mac - it did wonders for my state of mind - and for clearing the sinuses image Still have a headache but no drugs needed so far today which is an improvement. I think you're obviously metabolising the gin faster due to your increased fitness - or something like that image

bootsie - some people are well meaning and some, well, I'm not sure what their motives are but they seem to forget that we're all individuals. You have to do what's right for you.

• LMUH - surely HR higher as it's harder work running in the snow. That's my excuse for slower speeds anyway! That's a pretty long run in this weatherimage.

Only one more to come home sadly as son is staying in glasgow - first time they haven't all been home for Christmas - bit sad about it reallyimage but appreciate that trying to get up here for a couple of days in this weather could be a nightmare. Oldest daughter supposed to be coming tomorrow - but I doubt it with today's weather.

Big dumps of snow today, P has dug the car out for second time today!

Impressive endurance and gin tolerance Mrs Macimage.

• meh i seem to be coming down with Manflu, or something similar. I trust i cant catch oink oink flu again
  • Little M.iss Ultra Happy wrote (see)

LB - have you had the results back from your kidney tests?

I didn't have the test! I got the day wrong! (Actually I got the WEEK wrong) image They've rebooked me for 7th January. If there was a problem, Hipps said I'd be really ill so I'm not too worried.

16 miles?? I haven't even DRIVEN that far today! Not a CHANCE of running round here at the moment - too many snow willies to make! image

Keith - HTFU! image

• Elspeth - no snow here so I can't blame that I'm afraid.

Oh dear LB, mind you I guess as long as you're not worrying about it and not feeling ill it can wait a couple of weeks.

Keith - hope it's something short lived. Now be sensible and look after yourself for a few days to minimise whatever it is - ok?

• Does that mean you'd prefer me not to drive south on wednesday then image

Got my second works xmas dinner tomorrow night, at a indian so at least the spices will help burn off the illness. Will probably go to work tomorrow and come home early if i feel like shit, will threaten to cough on my boss if needs be image

• Down here there is very little snow so I got a good run in this morning- did 5-6 miles in 53 minutes which is flying for me.

Molly I'm very impressed you're going to be a pacer.  It's very brave as you can't slowdown and then try and speed up again.

• Keith- there's a lot of germs about and alcahol lowers your immune system.

Mrs Mac- gin is obviously your tippleimage

Elspeth- great news that your daughter made it home for Christmas. Shame about your son, but i guess that as your children get older they won't always be able to come. Must be heartbreaking though!

LMUH- i can't believe you did 16 miles so soon after being ill! no wonder it felt tough.

I got out for a run in the snow this morning- thanks Shades for the advice and inspiration. I really enjoyed it and it helped my mood alot. I ran on fresh snow on trails through the woods and loved it.

Hve had a very sociable weekend with lots of visits from friends in the village, probably because everyone is snowed in with nowhere to go. Had a funny moment this afternoon when we found our friend's baby boy 'digging' with his bare hands in the cat litter trayimage i think he thought it was a sand pit!

• Molly- just read back and seen your post- congratulations on getting a place as a pacemaker!! just ignore your husband- he is just jealous.

• SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭

LMH - that's a great run after you've been so poorly.   I've noticed that if the weather is really cold (like minus 5) my HR is higher than normal

LB - LOL at what you might stuff the turkey with should Mr LB make foolish...and dangerous remarks!

Elspeth - glad your daughter got home safely

WD - you're getting faster and faster

SiJ - sounds like you had a great run in the snow

I walked down to Sainsbury's this morning, which is probably 0.6 of a mile and that took me 15 mins as I had to negotiate quite a lot of ice to get there.   Anyway, even if I can't get to a shop this week I now have everything I need for the Xmas lunch except for the turkey which we get from work on Wednesday.  Took me another 15 mins to walk back with the shopping, only slightly sore arms today.   Then I made my Xmas cake,  and beating that and stirring in all the fruit and nuts made my arms ache again.    Cake smells gorgeous, I hope it tastes as good.

I didn't get out for a run though, just a bit too icy for my liking.   I'll set my alarm for my usual morning run, but I'm not holding out too much hope.   I wish it would thaw, I'll have to walk to work tomorrow....it's not far, but it's the negotiating the ice I dislike.

I might write a few cards tonight, no rush to post them as the post isn't really going anywhere at the moment.   The PO were out delivering today, I watched the van skate along our road, with a scared looking driver!

• Well, the first comment has got to be about snow willies - never seen one of them!image

Thanks guys for all the support!((()))

I'm hoping to go for a run tomorrow on the crunchy beach as it's still too dangerous to go out on the pavements.

I'm just doing my Xmas shopping - e-vouchers at various stores. There's no point ordering things for family in the UK to get delivered in January. It's not very "personal" but never mind.

Si J - how much does the tooth fairy bring these days?!

• mowzermowzer ✭✭✭

Got out for a run at midday. Ran in the fresh snow and had no problems with slipping, but my legs felt very tired afterwards. HR up as well although I'd only been able to go slowly. Went along the New River then round (and round) the Nature Reserve. Saw a squirrel, one rabbit and loads of geese, swans, ducks etc just standing around on the icy lakes. There were a lot of strange (and large) prints in the snow crossing some of the tracks image, but I didn't meet anything!

Then I ventured out in the car to Sainsburys as we were getting quite low on food. Only went about 20 yards then I had to stop and clear the snow from the bonnet. It was so deep I couldn't see over the top of it. Our road has compacted snow and ice as the gritter never comes along here, but the main roads were slush and OK if you went slow. Looks like it's all freezing over again now image.

• I hope that it was just the temperature then Shades. Our snow made running outside too dangerous for about a week - hope yours goes away quicker than that.

SiJ - I missed my long run last week cos I was ill and next week is Boxing Day so whilst I can escape the in-laws for a run I wouldn't be able to stretch it beyond 10 miles without being rude so if I hadn't done the 16 today it would have meant three weeks without a long run - with my target half marathon on 24th January. I do have a window of opportunity on Thursday but the forecast is for snow and I really didn't want to do another LSR on the treadie! I'm glad you had a good run - it sounds lovely.

mowzer - wonder what your big tracks were?

Molly - I always ask for vouchers as part of my xmas presents. I made the girl on the till laugh a month ago when I finished spending last years xmas vouchers! It's great for me though cos I keep them until I see things that I'd like to have but can't justify buying, with the voucher I can just treat myself with a clear conscience.

WD - sounds like a good run, building back up nicely.

• elspeth fay wrote (see)

LB - you have trained Mr LB much better than Mr Molly - perhaps he could come over and learn how a husband should behave!

and how should he behave?!

• I've been incredibly lazy today. Been lovely!

LMUH- you did well to get out today, your legs may have forgotten what there supposed to do. I know mine don't like too much time off.

Molly- what fun your going to have being a pacer. Well done.

We made a kneeling snowman and chair but no rude shapes unfortunately.

Shades- looks like it could be icy all week, a real pain in the backside.
    Our club are doing The mince pie marathon tomorrow night where we run to peoples houses for mince pies and mulled wine. Can't be running that distance so perhaps we have to eat 26 and a bit mincepies!
    Not sure it will still be on.
  • Other half - buy diamonds of course. I'm sure you would agree!