Shades Marathon Training

Comments

• SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭

Bridget - i do hope you get to Two Bridges, forecast is for a thaw here on Monday and heavy rain but the roads will take longer to warm up so that may not clear the ice.

LB - LOL at the 38 stone!   it's so annoying when you want to train  and the weather makes it impossible.

bo bo - LOL at the new office wear of skins and trail shoes.   I've been wearing jeans and trainers to work for the last week, my boss said I was improperly dressed, I told him to 'feck off'.

LMH - your're welcome

I've been for a miserable 3 mile run today, it's still very cold but today there's a biting east wind that nearly had me in tears the first time it hit me.   The ice hasn't cleared so was limited to laps of the park and surrounding roads today.

Tyrone my turkey is in the ovenimage.   took it out the car this morning and it's now in the oven defrosting, must remember to shut the kitchen door before I go to work to keep the temp int kitchen down.   Trouble with living in a flat is there are no cool places

• Morning. Off for a swim today - I finally feel as though my sinuses are sufficiently clear to enable me to be socially acceptable in the pool! May sneak in a little sauna too.

Well done Elspeth - any other little jobs left? Are you on call over xmas?

LB - get on the turbo - it's better than nothing, convenient and will keep your aerobic capacity up if you work hard.

x-posted with Shades - we're forecast a balmy -1C this morning but with a strong gusting wind. -9C forecast for tomorrow night - here and in Bristol!

If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.
  • Morning Shadies.

I think Bobo looks good in skins. image

It's still a bit brisk out. I'm on core/weights today. image

Shades, you boss must be a bit if a clot saying that in this weather!
  • HM4HM4 ✭✭✭

Good luck for those getting out to do some training.

• morning.. well for once i think i did the sensible thing.. (although could be a cop out!!!) but body was feeling very tired and sore last night.. two days of running on the ice took its toll... so this morning i chose to go for a swim instead of a run .. still did my 35 mins of solid training.. didn't take any rest and did 1500m image body is sooooooooo sluggish and want to do a long run tomorrow so thought a day off from running would be sensible!

(((())))) to all because its only 2 more sleeps to my very first uk christmas!!!! 

• I think you did the sensible thing bootsie.

4k swum for me, felt quite good, maybe the three times a week effort has done some good.

• Needed to run today so I drove to Penn Inn roundabout and on my way got stopped for a break light not working and got breathalised!! Cheek!  Why is it you feel you've done something wrong when you clearly haven't image  

Anyway, parked up and ran along a dual carriageway with a pavement towards Torquay and back. no ice and dry as a bone. Did 10.9 miles
    Shades - Not the most scenic but you can get a good consistent run. Just need to take your car and park on one of the side roads off the roundabout or in Sainsburys.

• lmuh i feel down right lazy now!!

vr good effort!  I need to find a road like that tomorrow! 

• meh will have to go shopping chocolate supplies down to half a bar of galaxy caramel image
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭

VR - my work colleague told me the pavement was clear on that road, so I'll probably be running up and down that road for the next few days!

Good to know you didn't end up in a cell for Xmas!

We're being allowed to go home from work now......my new boss is great!

• just found a road that i can run on that i think will be clear!

hmmm also just found a co workers stash of thorntons chocolates.. whoops.. 3 fell in my mouth! 

• HM4HM4 ✭✭✭

VR,

Chris got stopped after 1 Christmas party & the police where waiting near the hotel to see who they could stop.  Needless to say the police had to look elsewhere for someone they could do 

Shades,

Nice one.  Are you working tomorrow?

• Bootsie -Just 3????  Now you have to go out for that run now!!!

Shades - The left side of the road heading out is clear, the right has a few icy bits. Boring and noisy as hell but we have to do these things!!! 

Great that you can go home!!! When do you go back?

• feel sick after that.. to be fair it was straight after my baguette and starbucks latte.. too much food in a short time!
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭

Keith - I take it you're feeling a bit better now chocolate rations are becoming important again

bootsie - are you cooking Xmas dinner for your OH?

HY4 - I'm home now and no, don't have to work tomorrow, back at work on 4th January.   I do just have to go to the bank for work this afternoon which is no hardship 

VR - I run that route evey other day from October to March when it's dark in the mornings, I know every inch of the pavements and where every mile 'marker' is.

I have brought a friend home for Tyrone....if you've been reading carefully Tyrone is my turkey and he's gently defrosting in my oven.   Two of the guys at work didn't turn up yesterday (or today) to collect their free turkeys, they were put in the fridge and we were told to take them if they were still uncollected, so as I hate to see anything go to waste I have brought another turkey home, this one is further advanced in defrosting so hopefully i can cook it tonight.   Then I'll have to cook Tyrone tomorrow.   I'll have to freeze most of the meat when it's cooked.   I also have a 3rd turkey but that's safely in the freezer to be used about March.

Fortunately I love turkey and could happily eat it every day...which I'll probably have to!

• yes!!! shades i'm terrified!! will be cooking for OH and in laws!! have turkey, ham and cork speciality - spiced beef! cooking those tomorrow and will do the turkey on christmas morning.. excited.. scared... missing my family's insanity but very much looking forward to my first UK christmas!!

waht in the name of god are you doing to do with three turkeys! 

• Awww, A Trio of Turkeys!

http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/members/images/249321/Gallery/turkerys.jpg

Which one is Tryone?

• Such a shame....LOL!

http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/members/images/249321/Gallery/turkeys3.jpg

• QUESTION OF THE DAY...

Can anybody remember the name of Shades Turkey from last year?

• without trawling back through the pages! How sad would that be.....
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭

VR - LOL that's brilliant.

I suddenly remembered this morning what last year's turkey was called...I am sad I know

Must go to the bank now, suppose I'd better do some shopping as well

• bootsie - don't feel bad - you've no need to be swimming those sorts of distances unless you've secretly signed up for an IM?

Three turkeys Shades? Blimey - good job you like it.

VR - I am happy to say that I have no idea what Shades named her turkey last year.

Keith - are you well enough to travel for xmas? I've heard that Devon is thawing - not sure how true that is though.

I have a dilemma, am hosting New Years Day dinner - initially with two guests, now with three. Was intending to have one of those stuffed sides of salmon that seem to be about every year at this time as the meat eaters should have had their fill and it will mean I only have to cook one meal - but I haven't seen one anywhere other that Aldi - and there's has breadcrumbs in so no good for me. Has anyone seen one or does anyone have a good (read - easy) fish recipe that I could do with roast spuds and veg after a starter of home made thai fishcakes with sweet chilli dipping sauce?

• LMUH i most definatly have not! what are you training for?

good luck with new years day! 

• LMUH - my usual fish recipe is a fish pie, but maybe not posh enough for a dinner partyimage
  • VR - Is there a prize for the correct guess?image

And why has she called this year's turkey after my home county????image

• I love fish pie Elspeth but no good for NYD as my friend doesn't really eat mash and I like to do something special even when it's just Mark and I.

bootsie - I want to improve my swimming (especially) before the Europeans or Worlds (not sure which I'll be applying for a place on the team on - maybe both), running wise it's the Brass half at the end of January.

• I dunno about feeling better cos i want chocolate, more a case of chocolate being on my comfort food list image Anyway its sorted as i have been to Tesco's and Focus for a heater. Was amusing watching people coming out of Focus as they were flooring it to get over the icy patch. Me I er did it the proper way which was to drive at a steady pace and lo and behold no spinning.

I have a Turkey joint amongst lots of other things including a pretty impressive haul of pharamceuticals image 

• Elspeth - No prize for guessing the Turkeys name apart from.....A whole year off from getting put on the naughty step, starting from January 1st.

Should appeal to you as your a regular on that step....so rack your brains image

The answer will be announced Christmas day when Tyron 2010 will be eaten.

I will be genourous......Names can be either 2008 or 2009

Come on people say a few names. You've only got 31 hours left.

• SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭

bootsie - I'm sure the cooking will go well, just do as much preparation as you can beforehand, you could do a little timetable for Xmas day just to remind you when to put everything in the oven.  Timing is the most difficult part to get right, but on Xmas day it really doesn't matter if your guests are kept waiting, it's all part of Xmas, just give them another drink!

LMH - I'll have a look through my receipes, but not sure I've got anything suitable

Elspeth - sorry, was using Tyrone as a bloke's name

Keith - so turkey stuffed with drugs will be your Xmas day feast

VR - Did I really name my turkey in 2008 too?    How sad am I...and you for checking back.image

Been down town and done a little bit of Xmas shopping, food shop first thing tomorrow, mostly for my Mum...I told her I may be bad tempered by the time I get to her place.