Shades Marathon Training

Comments

• Mrs Mac - that's good going.

Not run anything like every day but have got to 143 miles this month, not bad considering the snow.

Boring day at work but tried hard to make a new recruit for the running group. Might have succeeded or maybe she only said yes to get rid of meimageimage.

• HM4HM4 ✭✭✭

Elspeth,

That's good going for the mileage considering the weather.

• I am here in 'sunny' devon.

Chipped a fecking tooth on the drive down though eating a Smarties cookie, bloody thing. DIY dentistry at some point i think image

Have entered Windy marathon, will enter Silverstone half when  i get back home i think, already booked a nights floor space at my mates in leciester for that one. Can you tell i want to beat my half PB image driving down from leicester means probably a 90 min drive if that instrad of a 5 hour one so i'll be wide awake and raring to go.

Oh Taunton bloody services was a near cock up as i swung into a space down were i usually park and damn near embedded the bloody front end of the car into a fecking gert big pile of bliddy snow. Couldn't see it through the cars down that end so it was a bit of a surprise. Might go build a snowman on the village green tomorrow being there is a heap there still too

• SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭

Elspeth - I only have 2 marathons in January, one is our AGM marathon and the other is Glos, which I've entered every year but still never run...either due to injury or the weather.   And in February I only have Malta marathon.    The only way to run more is to travel, but you won't flyimage.   Have you looked to see if there are any winter marathons in Ireland?

Keith - well done to get done to 'sunny' Devon.    Are you having your 'Xmas' lunch today with your family on NYD instead?

• SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭

Must go and get ready...food shopping again, not sure if I can squeeze any more food in my fridge, so mostly stuff for my Mum who is cooking lunch on NYD

My spikes arrived, they're gorgeous, shame they'll never have a speedy runner flying round a track using them.   I have also bought a new ice scraper, am hoping that these purchases mean that we shall not enter the ice age again...at least this winter.

time today to ponder on the goals for 2011, am looking forward to hearing everyone's targets for the year.

• HM4HM4 ✭✭✭

Shades,

I thought I'd set a realistic target of going for a run at least once a week.  So I've now changed it to start once my shoulder is better.

I'll be doing my end of year round up later on today.

• Hope the shops aren't too busy Shades - I did mine yesterday ready for cooking dinner tomorrow as I have to make the dessert (gf tiramisu) today.

That's good mileage Elspeth. Are you working over New Year?

Next year? I'd like to stay well and uninjured and be able to train and race to the best of my ability image

If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.
  • NY Resolutions to last 365 days:

1. Lose at least a stone

2. Find a job that I like that pays enough

3. Surround myself with positive people and get rid of all the miserable gits

Shades - I'm not sure if salt does cause bloating, but if someone told me to hop on one leg backwards whilst singing Bee Gee songs then I'd give that a go too!!!! I wanna be thinnnnnnnnnn!image

• Morning!

Looking at planning events for the year (how grand does that sound), and wonder if a decision had been made on the Shadie marathon yet? It was so lovely to meet up at Loch Ness.

Crossed post Molly. Sounds like fabulous targets.

• HTF - I could fancy winging my way to Dublin
  • I want to achieve the same as I did last year plus extra marathons

1) A new 10k PB

2) A new Half PB

3) A new marathon PB

And I might *think* about getting a job image  

• VR - admirable goals. Are you sure you want to get a job? Trust me working is so over rated!
  • I'm off now for the ONLY  training session my club organizes all year, followed by an uphill race (please let me be the only women) and then it's back home to get dolled up!!!!

Happy, Healthy and Speedy  2011 to all Shadies !!!

• HT....   No I'm not sure !!

Molly - Have a great race and a great evening! Remember not too much makeup !!!

• Well thats a reasonable run just done. 6.44 miles in 65 mins or so, not as impressive as it looks as i damn near died going up the first lot of hills. Did go up without stopping but was then seriously over heating afterwards so walked to cool off and recover, perhaps a little to soon after swine flu to be pushing it that hard image

Shades - I had Xmas dinner on Xmas day at home with the cat image No idea whats happening tonight let alone tomorrow. Not that anyone told me but there was meant to be a party of 12 or so for dinner in the local pub tonight but the other lot are sick with flu, i'm not guilty there btw image

As for 2011 targets erm that can wait not done a review of 2010 yet image

• VR - what sort of a job?

:You could be a marathon coach (only don't tell Shades as then you'd be rivalsimage)

Still officially working but sneaked home with pager as it's quiet. Not free to run til 3.30 though and on unofficial on call all weekend.

Molly - I'm told that being thin is overrated so won't even tryimage, you look fine and you might get locked up for hopping backwards while singing. Your number two and three sound like a good plan though.

Shades - I don't think flying would make any difference to how much I run, could run more here if I put my mind to it. It's also extremely expensive up here.

Molly good luck for the raceimage

• Elspeth - you are thin. As for unofficial on-call I used to do those as in - if we need you to work we'll tell you but we're not paying you to not drink/go out/relax in case we don't need to call you?

VR - if you can find something that you want to do - go for it. I enjoy my work even though it gets stressful sometimes and find that having the structure of the working day (part time obviously!) helps me to fit the training in.

Molly - try one thing to lose weight (as in eating less and exercising more) and give it time to work! Good luck with your goals.

Keith - so how many extra dinners will you need to eat? image

• HM4HM4 ✭✭✭

Keith,

Well done hope the tooth isn't too bad (I can really recommend the Boots Temporary Filling kit).  Chris used one years' ago & the filling is still in.

Molly & VR,

Good luck with the goals.

• LMUH - re" unofficial on call "exactly that!  Except can go out with mobile. Oh and they don't pay even if you do get called.

It's not too much of a hardship as Peter is on Maternity on call this weekend anyhow so long as my runs don't get interrupted. Always a bit of a worry when New Year falls at a weekend as resident staff are at a minimum and so often it is a busy time.

• HM4HM4 ✭✭✭

Round up of this year:-

215.39 miles ran, approx 8 of those were done in races and 2 races entered with 2 pbs (5 miles & 5k) with  time lost due to injury more than last year.  Compared to 2009 I've ran 56.02 miles more so despite the time out I've not done too badly considering.

Goals for next year:-

Join a club
    4k pb
    5 mile pb
    10k pb

I think the easiest goals are a new 10k pb as this way out compared to my 5 mile race time & it was set in 2006 and joining a running club.

• just a quick post from ireland!! Hope everyone had a grea christmas...ran 29 days out of 31 (swam 1 day for injury sake!!) 110 miles done in 18 hrs 2 mins!!! day off tomorrow!
  • Hi Bootsie image  Well done on your December effort. That's great running. have a lovely New Year.

Mrs Mac - Did you manage your 6 miles to finish your Marcothon? image

• Elspeth - that sucks. At least I got paid if I had to work! Run with your mobile - they'll just have to wait image

Hope Peter isn't too busy.

HY4 - you did well then.

VR - when are you coming up for the marathon?

• HM4HM4 ✭✭✭

LMUH,

Thanks.

Elspeth,

That's a pain.  Hope you don't get called out.

• LMUH - Sunday afternoon/T time I guess.
    I must say those New Year goals you have are very safe, you hiding anything?
  • LMUH - it's not that bad, only get called in now and again.

Filthy weather out there, wet and windy and big puddles everywhere but 6 miles done and a hot cup of teaimage

1702 miles run in 2010.

Not sure that anyone wants to run with me tomorrow morning.

• Not at all VR - getting faster across all distances/disciplines would be an added bonus but won't define my year if you see what I mean?
  • I'll run with you Elspeth - though Mark, Grace and I will only do about 4 miles.
  • Elspeth, that sounds very unfair! Cracking yearly mileageimage

Well done bootsieimage

A job VRimage But jobs get in the way of runningimage

I'm a bit like that too LMUH.

Enjoy (?) your hill race Molly!

Marcothon completed, 150 miles totalimage

Next year, just want to train and run to the best of my ability. Simple. Have a great time and a Happy New Year everyone xxx

• That seems good milage Elspeth, Well done. I'm rubbish at recording milage although I have data since August. Going to record all milage in 2011

LMUH - Fair enough. staying injury free is a challenge in itself.