Options

Shades Marathon Training

Comments

• Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2017
    Ian - get out for a gentle recovery run ASAP, today if possible, if not tomorrow.   Then just shortish easy runs for the rest of the week as your legs recover.   Just ease yourself back into training, maybe 10 miles next weekend if your legs feel fresh enough.    The following weekend maybe a 16 miler.   I don't think there's much to be gained from doing another 20 miler unless you feel that your really want too.   Your training has paid off well and all you want to do is tick over and be fresh for Manchester.
    Your taper worked well for you so I'd stick to the same routine for Manchester.
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Thanks a lot for that,I should be able to do a recovery run today,hopefully.Do I still do a full 3 week taper with not doing much until then?Or does 10,16,16,8 race sound too much for the next 4 weekends
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Ian - 10,16,16,8 sounds fine for the next 4 weekends as long as you feel fresh, if at any time you feel a bit tired just shorten the distance.   It's about recharging your batteries now :)

• Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Rest day today, so nothing to report really.  I've done 37-miles this week and feeling quite good.  I was tempted to run today but that would have been 4-days in a row, and I don't want to risk any niggles.

One thing to report was the Torquay match I went to yesterday, which was dreadful.  Torquay played Sutton Utd, team of "pie gate" after their recent Arsenal fixture.  Within 5-mins their keeper got injured and, because of "pie gate", they had no substitute keeper on the bench, so they stuck a bewildered looking defender (who had no idea what he was doing, unsurprisingly) in goal.  Torquay still lost and the majority of the regular fans are not happy at all!
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Big G-I seen that and happened and couldn't believe you lost,surely they would keep shooting and some must go in.I was considering going to the Torquay match on 18th March but it will be postponed now as we are still in a cup.pity as we would take about 500 there for a sat but probably about 100 for a Tuesday. 
    5.5 mile recovery run completed,didn't feel too bad once I got going,just a bit tight between the knee and hamstring.Is it wrong I'm bouncing around with a massive smile after yesterday, even running I could feel myself doing it.
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    edited February 2017
    Ian, when the poor chap was in goal, it was obvious he didn't have a clue what he was doing.  He didn't even know how to kick the ball, but he never really had to come for a high ball from a cross, never made a diving save and many had the feeling he'd never been in goal before in his life.  But Torquay were incapable of getting balls into the box and only had one shot on target (from about 90-minutes of play) when he was there, which unsurprisingly they scored from.  The Torquay manager was screaming at them to push forward but it was absolutely dire, and this was against Sutton who had terrible away form, but still put 3 past Torquay....  And it was bloody freezing there, too!
  • Options
    Afternoon Shadies. Not been on much really lately but i thought i would pop in to say hi. Hope you are all well and fighting fit.. After my last race in November, I took 6 weeks off completely, to rest and let any niggles sort themselves out. Boxing day was when I got back to training and have been steadily pushing on since. VLM training is going well, My long runs are up to 22 miles already of which I've done 3 runs of 20 miles or more and my weekly total is about 45 miles. My next race is the Forest of Dean half 19th March and then London. I have also entered one of those rat race events 13 miles and 150 obstacles which should be fun. all in all everything is going well... 
  • Options
    70 miles, Shades - that's, well, a lot!
    Ian - not sure, trying to figure that one out for myself. I'm going to try and squeeze in one more 20 but it won't be next Sunday as I'm marshalling at the club's 20 mile race. Anyway, think you've earned a massage.

On to Thorpe Park Half. Bit of a grey day but not cold. Since I spent most of yesterday sat in front of the computer, I opted to walk to Clapham Junction (35 minutes) to give the legs a bit of a shake out. Not nearly as many runners on the train as for Hampton Court, but Runthrough had laid on a free minibus from the station, so I, ahem, stood up the cab I booked. Felt a bit guilty but hey, saving money and all.

It did feel a bit odd going to Thorpe Park and not riding the coasters (not that it was an option, as it was closed) but it was nice to see them at least. I bumped into a couple of clubbies at the start and one of our vets (he's one of the few people on the club actually older than I am) was kind enough to drive me back to London after the race so that saved a lot of hassle.

Anyway, back isn't 100% but it felt a hell of a lot better than last weekend and didn't give me any issues during my brief warm-up. I started alongside my vet clubmate (who has a faster PB than me but is coming back from a hip injury) and overtook him quite quickly during the first mile. I went through mile 1 in 8:38 which was a bit too fast so I throttled back and did the next three miles in the 8:50s. Then came a hill - a big steep one! I ploughed on up that but the descent was also steep so I couldn't bomb down it as I'd hoped to. That mile was 9:13, so a bit under pace really, but even so I went through the first 10K in a time that would have been a PB less than a year ago.

There was another hill during mile 9 - not steep but certainly a long drag, so that one also took me over 9 minute pace, but the downhill after was nice and I recorded 8:46 for that one. Then it was just a case of hanging on. Legs started to go towards the end, but I hung in there as best I could and just told myself to keep on going. The finish was a very welcome sight! I didn't manage the same finishing surge as last weekend but I'd done enough. Garmin told me I had a new PB - 1:57.03! This was upgraded to 1:57.01 once the times came in, so damn, another 36 seconds off!

Staggered through the finish, took my medal, shirt, drinks and snacks and waited for my friend, who rather annoyingly recorded 2:00.01 (though to be fair he did have to make a toilet stop).

So, Thorpe Park - for a new race it went very smoothly. Good race, all on roads, and while it wasn't as flat as I'd expected, I'd done enough hilly runs during marathon training to cope.

This was my fifth sub-2, when six months ago a sub-2 was just a dream. I guess I will need to do a sub-1:55 now, although that could be a way off. Let's get these marathons done first.

• Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Cal-Great running yet again,the pb keeps getting lowered all the time,1:57 was my pb this time last year and it's now 1:44 so no reason you can't keep lowering it.
  • Options
    Well done Ian for pacing that marathon so perfectly. Must feel great nailing that sub 4!

And congrats too to Cal - joe many PBs is that this year?!!

Brighton this morning was the windiest I have known the course in the 4 years I've done it. The first 4 miles were fine, pretty much in line with PB pace. But when we turned round, the headwind was quite tough and the pace started to slow. It was hard to find any shelter from the wind as it was coming from the side (sea) as well as in front! Finished in 1:28:11, 90 secs slower than PB but pleased to be under 90 mins at least. I don't think I was in PB shape, even in better conditions, but I guess it's all good experience!
  • Options
    JugulaJugula ✭✭✭
    Great running Cal regularly hitting sub 2.
    Great run in tough conditions SK, I'm just along the coast and it was pretty blowy all weekend, I did 8 this morning legs a bit sore, couple of rest days needed I think.
  • Options
    SK - I think that's a cracking time, and in that wind as well. Well done you :)

Ian - Respect for doing that sub 4 on a track. Gives me goosebumps just the idea of doing a track marathon!

Cal - Another PB! No stopping you, fab stuff, really well done.
  • Options
    Thanks guys. SK - 2/3. I got my second fastest 10K in January, but consecutive PBs for the halves. Half is really my best distance, I think. I seem to be able to pace in the 8.50s for a good way but struggle to run faster than that at shorter distances. My 10K pace isn't really much faster.
    Now if only I could run at 9mm for marathon... :D I am a complete noob at that distance, though.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - I think it must be very stressful being a Torquay Utd supporter, never a dull moment though!

Ian5 - you deserve that massive smile.  :)  How big a PB did you actually do?

Iain - welcome back, I expect the new forum was a surprise.   Good to hear all is well and London training well on schedule.   I hope that Rat Race is after London ;)

Cal - brilliant racing another PB too, sets you up nicely for your marathon.

SK - that's a great race time, never underestimate how much a headwind will slow you.   (I told you Brighton was windy) ;)

Usual Monday run today, no cyclists on pavements and no cars trying to run me over either.   Heavy rain shower but once that stopped good running weather.   Knee fine this morning just a slight twinge now and then during run, difficult to know whether to rest or not :#
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    SK-Great running esp with the wind, I hate the wind more than any other weather. 
    Shades-it was just over 25 mins pb,but if I fuel better during the race I think there's another 5-10 mins ready for Manchester. 
  • Options
    E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    Well done on the pb Cal!! 

I'm going to attempt an easy run today and hoping the 5 days of rest has done me good :-)
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2017
    Ian - that is a huge PB.  :)  I agree there is more to come.   Now you know you can do sub 4 that will spur you on and make you stronger in the later miles.   Also the track is monotonous whereas in Manchester the course will be more varied and you'll be looking for mile markers and landmarks etc.

Emmy - hope you are better now.

I've just cancelled my Yogalates class as my knee is a little sore if I do a squat.   I may run every other day this week until it's cleared up, am due to race 20 miles next weekend but will DNS if knee still sore as I have a more races coming up which are more important to me.
  • Options
    Shades- yeah the rat race is 2 weeks after London so no worries about injury. 
  • Options
    I don't usually run the day after a race, but I was a lot less sore than expected. My legs were completely trashed after Hampton Court, but today, not so much. Odd because it was a hillier course, and I usually get sore quads from the downhills. Also wore exactly the same kit and followed the same post-race routine (Epsom salts bath, baked potato and TV - well, DVD in this case.) I can't chalk it up to better sleep either, as I woke up three times last night, spent some time reading after 3am in the hope that it would tire me out again but ended up getting out of bed at 4 and going on the computer until it got light enough to go out.

Anyway, I did a 4 mile recovery run. First couple of strides were a bit ouchy but it was otherwise not so bad (apart from a knee twinge just after 2 miles which I'll put down to a tight ITB pulling my kneecap out). Legs were fatigued so I didn't feel inclined to run any further than the minimum but hey, getting out the day after a race is new to me. :D
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Shades-Hope the knee gets better,must be a bit annoying though as your race season is about to start.
    That was exactly why I wanted to try and get sub 4 before Manchester, so I can go quite aggressive now and not worry if I blow up and also I've only ran 1 full before so needed to practise fuelling so clearly that needs to get better.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Cal - that's great that you were able to do a recovery run today, faster recovery is another sign of improved fitness.

Iain - I had visions of you on the start line at London with plasters and bandages ;)

Ian - at Manchester you need to take on some fuel, maybe a gel with caffeine about 15 minutes before the point that you had an energy blip at the track marathon, 19 miles I think, to get you through that part.  In most marathons there will be an energy lull, when your body starts to get low on glycogen but if you know when to expect it, it can be brief and cause little or no change of pace.   The sugar will boost your mood too.

Have just spent 30 mins self diagnosing my knee niggle on the internet. :'(   I think it's just a little inflammation, so no squats etc. for a while.  
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Shades-Self diagnosis on the internet can be dangerous,surprised it didn't come up with something life threatening  :)
    Got the splits through for Saturday so been looking at them,the first half was actually better paced than I thought and it came out at 1:55:38(plan was 1:55) but the improvement needs to be earlier,I done the first 10 laps at 5 secs a lap quicker than plan,so nearly 20 seconds a mile too fast,guess that's part of the reason I faded later,another good lesson for Manchester
  • Options
    E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    Hi all, Run this morning was better but i'm still feeling abit out of breath. I think it's time to up my asthma meds,

Shades - how is your knee?
    Cal - I do a recovery run every marathon. The first few miles might feel a little tough but I always end up feeling better after it.
    Ian - how did you find the track marathon? Were you bored?

It's really raining here at the moment. We've got another storm coming our way so i'm hoping that it clears before my LSR on wednesday.

@Shades - there was a thread on the 100 Associate's group on Facebook where a really interesting discussion was happening about the use of LSRs and why LSRs over 2 1/2 hours or 16 miles might not be useful and do more damage than good. I guess i'm pretty old school and see a lot of benefit and use in the 18/20milers (even though I hate doing them...!). What's your take on this? Do you think it's more time on your feet that's important? or the distance and miles really matters.
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Emmy-I wasnt as bored as I thought I would be,maybe because there was always people around and I was constantly overtaking or being overtaken,and all my runs are done on my own so I just switch off so that probably helped. 
  • Options
    Cal - Fantastic PB yet again!!
    SK - That's a great time in tough conditions.
    Ian - Well done on the huge PB and sub 4....sets you up nicely for Manchester.

So I did Thorpe Park as part of an 18 miler with 14 at marathon pace. Got stuck in traffic on way there, so didn't have enough time to do 5 miles before the race start, but did do 3, however that meant starting quite far back and having to weave and go to fast (6:57) over the first mile to get into a better position. The benefit on starting far back though it being able to overtake so many people!!

Settled into a rhythm and clocked over the miles ranging from 7:05-7:18 to finish in 1:34:10, grabbed my medal and goodies and went back to car park to clock a final 7:26 MP mile (too many cars leaving!) and another to cool down to make it 18 for the day.

Run felt good, definately much easier doing MP sessions as part of a race, although I do find I then run slightly faster than if I run solo!

It was a good event, but it did take an hour to get out of the car park :s
  • Options
    Shades - hopefully I can get through the rat race without any injury cause I have the run leg of the IM relay in July and I want to be on top form for that.  The pressure will be quite different to what I'm used to as it's a team effort and I've got to be ready to push hard. 
  • Options
    Steve, I guess you overtook me then! Shame about "medalgate" but eh, never mind.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Ian5 - usually it's not a good thing to self diagnose on the internet, most of the info is from physio/sports injury sites so of course they are always going to recommend seeking professional consultation and then there's lots of talk of surgery etc.   Once I'd bypassed all that as well as the possibility of age related stuff such as arthritis and wear and tear I realised that it wasn't terminal or even chronic but probably a bit of inflammation aggravated by all the squats that I've been doing.   Most injuries will heal with a bit of rest and careful reintroduction to running.
    It will be easier to pace your early miles on the road at Manchester than it was on the track

Emmy - are you getting Storm Ewan then?
    Hope your asthma is OK.

Re the shorter long training runs, always been championed by faster runners and that is an old school theory, not a new one.   Training for a marathon should always be done by distance not time.   A slower runner is going to be out there a lot longer than a fast runner and needs to train for that.   Those that suffer most in the latter stages are those that have either run the first half of the marathon too fast or those that have not done the long runs.   
    The only exception I would make to that you don't need to do any long runs if your weekly mileage is high enough, say a minimum of 70 mpw, and perhaps running a few doubles.

Steve - well done, you don't even sound out of breath after that run.   Very annoying about the car park issue, an hour is not acceptable, perhaps they'll sort that out next year.   Is that the last race for you now before your marathon?

Iain - it will be obstacles that will tire you out, not the running part.   Good fun though. 

Am taking a rest day today for my knee although it seems fine at the moment.    Looks icy here this morning and the pavements are slippery so I chose a good morning not to go out.  
  • Options
    E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    Morning all, yes Shades.  Storm Ewan was starting last night but it's rather nasty out there this morning.  
    Interesting about the runs and mileage.  I agree that if you're out there longer, you need to train for that.  

I'm on a rest day too, I hope that your knee stays niggle free today 
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Emmy - the marathon is the same distance for all of us, so training by time is ridiculous.

I shall avoid any extremes of housework today just to be careful with the knee ;)