Options

Shades Marathon Training

Comments

• Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Morning all. It was raining on-and-off most of the day here yesterday, so I'm afraid I did time my run to avoid that and managed to stay dry. It was quite a fast 5-miler, which I really enjoyed!

Shades, sorry to hear about your knee. Hopefully it's ok for your race. 
  • Options
    E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    Haha! Definitely be careful!  I'm going to be baking all day as it's Evelyn birthday party at nursery tomorrow and in my wisdom I decided that cake and brownies would be acceptable!  Luckily,  I can get out with the dogs and walk them this morning before it gets too bad.  
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - nothing wrong with choosing the better weather when you can.

Emmy - Happy first Birthday to Evelyn tomorrow :)
  • Options
    E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    Her birthday is actually Friday but she's only at nursery one morning a week so she's having three birthdays this week (!)she's only one so it's more for us.
    1) nursery
    2) her actual birthday 
    3) her party on Sunday 
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    I forgot to say, that young Trotter decided to "jog a marathon" (his words) in training, the day before his 19th birthday.  He did it in 2:53, which was the first time he'd ran that far, finishing what was a 132 mile week for him. 
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Emmy - she's like the Queen with all those birthday celebrations.   Busy week for you, how many babies/toddlers for the party?

Big G - that young Trotter is itching to do a marathon isn't he?   If he's aiming at London next year at least he'll be 20 then.    132 mile week is impressive, I guess his next aim is a half marathon PB at Bideford?  
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Big G-If I am off I always try and pick the best weather part of the day if possible.
    Emmy-Hope the party and celebrations go well.
    My legs are still a little sore around the inner knee and hamstring,but I can walk and jog around fine,should I go for a run or wait until they are completely better?I've  read different things so not sure.
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Shades, I'm not sure which Half he's targeting.  I had assumed Bideford, but I've just checked and his name's not on the list, so I'm not sure.  I know he is hoping to qualify for London 2018 with a Championship place from a Half time, for which he needs to go under 1:15 in a Half.  But I think his current plans are to make London 2018 his marathon debut, as he wants to get faster at the shorter stuff this year.  But I suppose he may change his mind as he progresses.  I know he's got a very strong marathon time in mind, which if he gets it would smash Tommo's Trotters marathon record, but there's a long way to go yet.

I do really admire him, and he's obviously dedicated which is brilliant; most, if not all, of those 132 miles would have been on his own.  But a small part of me can't help but wonder if he's doing too much too soon.  MarathonTalk sometimes mentions young athletes who do really well as juniors, but then don't break through into seniors as they get injured etc.  But when I spoke to him, he's obviously thought about things carefully, and he is aware of the risks, but I think he just wants to give it a go, and I can't blame him - like I say I admire him - for that.  It's none of my business anyway and when he does a 26.2 mile training run at my 5K pace, if I had a cap on, I'd doth it to him :) 
  • Options
    Hi All. Havent posted in a few days so thought I would do a quick post. Did my 14 mile run on Sunday. Went well - took it nice and slow. I didnt try the gels this time but I did try a couple of 'gluco tabs' which I quite liked. I will try a gel this weekend though as I try my 17 miles which will be longest ever run. My leg was abit sore sunday night (where I had my injury) It seems it is not fully healed . I went for a sport massage last night and she said I will still be able to train and do marathon as it will not cause any long lasting damage if I do - but just got to be very careful, run slow pace, have rest days in between runs, cross train as well.. tape up. Then  after the marathon I will be taking time off to fully recover. So that is the plan as really want to do Paris, even if as I've said before I have to run/walk.
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Suz, good news that you can still run.  As you say, just take it steady in training.  I know we're all different and respond in our own way, but I know when I've got an injury even thinking about speed work seems to make it worse!

Shades, talking of Bideford, there are a large number of Trotters doing it.  Like Steve, I am planning on doing it at MP, but I hope I don't get swept along and go too quick.  I think I may start towards the back so the first mile or so is relatively slow so all my team mates are off ahead of me and just try and stick to 8:15-8:30s, although I may try and do a strong last mile or so.  That's the plan, but let's see what actually happens on the day.  If I come back on here and report I've gone under 1:40, you can all figuratively slap me!
  • Options
    Well, I have to agree. I've read that there's no point running for more than 3 hours, but if my marathon is going to last for 4 and a half minimum (and that's if I'm on good form and everything goes perfectly), I need to get at least a little close to that. Eh, well.

Another crappy sleep. If it wasn't for the fact it was beautifully sunny, I would have gone back to bed, but I hauled myself out for six miles. I felt weak and tired but figured it would be good practise for the last six miles of the marathon.

Unfortunately (and because the new Garmin take a little more effort to pull off its base than the old one) I buggered the settings on it so I didn't record any split times, just the total average, which was 10:45. Fair enough.
  • Options
    Thanks Big G - I am definately avoiding speed work at the moment and even hills where I can! I do feel I am slower though without doing speed training but maybe thats a good thing right now! After sunday I had a rest day and then today I just done spinning (That's my interval training right now!) and yoga. Will do a run tomorrow morning though :-)
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    I've had some good news tonight, which I had a feeling would come my way but I thought I'd better hold off until it was official.  Basically, it was my club's AGM tonight and I've picked up a role on the committee, so I am now officially the club championship secretary.  I'll still do the press role for the time being too (which isn't a committee post), so I'll be fairly busy but I'm looking forward to it.

One slight issue is that the first monthly committee meeting is the day of my Milton Keynes marathon, so it'll be touch and go whether I'll get back in time as the marathon doesn't start until 9:30am, I'll get changed, and then it's a 4hr drive back with the committee meeting is at 7pm.  Other than that though, I should be able to make the meetings.
  • Options
    E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    Congratulations Big G! 
  • Options
    mowzermowzer ✭✭✭
    Well done Big G on getting a committee role  :)

Congrats to Cal, Steve and slowkoala on recent races  :):):)

Ian - you can bounce and smile as much as you like. You deserve it  :)

Emmy - I can hardly believe Evelyn is one year old. Enjoy the parties  ;)

I think the time limit works fine for fast runners - after all if you expect to do 3 hrs for a marathon then a 2 and 1/2hr LSR is probably just right! I read a book by Stu Mittleman where he said that your daily mileage (or average daily mileage) should be a third of your target race. So if you were targeting a 30 miler, then you should be doing an average of 10 mls per day (include a long run at the weekend and you even get a day off!). I think I'm feeling tired in events at the moment because I'm not getting the mileage in and I'm probably doing too much walking to running  :(
  • Options
    mowzermowzer ✭✭✭
    Anyway, not too good a weekend (again - see above) for me. Had (yet another) fall last Friday when I stubbed my big toe on a tiny hump of mud/grass and went straight down. Got a thorn in my hand which required a lot of digging with a pin till it popped out and a bruised and painful right toe. I walked round all day on Saturday as I didn't want it to stiffen right up. That seemed to work ok and toe not really a problem on Sunday but by then I could feel a few muscles in my right leg from the funny walking.
    The best thing I can say about the Cambridge Boundary Run on Sunday was that I finished. It's multi-terrain, but a lot of road compared to softer ground and hardly any mud this year. I was going to run at the back with a few friends , but they nearly all dashed off at the start and I never saw them again :'(  Ran with a different friend to the first water (only) stop, and then he decided to walk a bit - but he had an excuse as he ran on Saturday at Belvoir. Caught up with another friend (this run is always very well supported by 100 MC members!) and we ran and walked together to the end when we finished with first friend who had caught us up. Weather was kind until 4hrs in when storm Ewan caught us and we had to battle into the headwind. Admittedly we did a lot of talking, but I couldn't have run any faster and had to do loads of walking. (Also ate quite a bit at the checkpoints after half way, where they had a nice selection of snacks.) My right shin got very sore, relieved slightly by loosing my laces and then totally by downing a couple of painkillers. It's not a difficult run, but we finally staggered in at 6h 15m (which was 1hr 20 mins slower than last year) to find just water and no food left. Oh well, at least it was only 40 min drive home.
    A short recovery run on Monday and the shin flared up again slightly. A run/walk today, the shin was sore again for a while then suddenly stopped hurting - to be replaced by a very painful niggle on the top of the other foot  :s Walking the dog afterwards was not very pleasant and I've been hobbling around for the rest of the day. Day off tomorrow I think  :/
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Ian5 - gentle easy runs at least every other day.   You will slow your recovery if you take complete rest.

Big G - well done on the committee post, you like a good spreadsheet and a few stats so that's really suited to you.    Hope you make the first committee meeting, although you'll probably yawn your way through it ;)

I wouldn't slap you if you raced Bideford as there's nothing wrong with racing it, it's entirely up to you.

Re the young Trotter, he must love running and training which is great.   Yes, high mileage but a good 5km athlete would train 100mpw but I do think he's too young to race marathons although he will be 20 by then.
    I guess he's doing Bath Half then, that's a high profile event and he will be noticed there if he runs well.

Suz - that's great news about your injury knowing that it won't stop you doing your marathon and you know how to manage it too.   It's good to try gels and the glucose tabs and some sweets, better to have a selection on race day as sometimes it's not easy to take on fuel and having a choice helps.   Glad the 14 miler went well, hope the 17 miles goes well too, remember it's only the last 3 miles you haven't done before and you can always walk them.

Cal - I agree, it's daft to limit the time for a long run.   If everyone did that ultra runners would be running 50 - 100 mile races off a longest run of 3 hours.

mowzer - you seem to be a bit battered and bruised and yet another tough event completed.   Hope the soreness heals quickly.  Must have been so disappointing that they'd run out of food at the finish too.

Re the training mileage, Jim Fixx who wrote the very famous The Complete Book of Running, a good read BTW said something in his book about your daily mileage giving an indication of when you will start to struggle in a marathon.   I'd have to check the details but if you run the same distance every day (at least 6 days a week, I think for at least 6 months) then 3 times that distance is the distance you'd run comfortably in a marathon, e.g. 6 miles a day = 18  mile point in a marathon.   I think this was without doing long runs, I'll have to read the book again to check.

Lovely morning for a run, but I see heavy rain is on the way just when I have to walk back from the garage, car is booked in for service and MOT.   Knee OK, no problem running and just the odd twinge when I'm not running, it's not healed yet though.   Only ran 6 miles today, but will get nearly 4 miles walking too later on to and from the garage.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Just found my copy of Jim Fixx's book so I will read it again :)
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    edited March 2017
    Shades, I was tempted to race Bideford (still am to be honest!), but from Exeter Half I know it's still in my legs for a few days after, so don't want to feel tired before the marathon.  The committee are aware that I may not be able to do the first monthly meeting, and they are okay with that but I will do my best to get there; the marathon has been in the diary for weeks though, so it's just one of those things I suppose.  I'm not sure of the circumstances (I haven't asked), but the previous club championship secretary resigned from the role a couple of months ago and it wasn't filled when they were looking around for names for all posts prior to the AGM.  I didn't put my name forward officially (i.e., I only wrote my name against the press role, and not the championship role), but when I was told that the role wasn't filled, I put my name forward via email and I was voted in last night (it ended up just being a formality, as no one else had come forward).  I'm looking forward to seeing what goes on behind the scenes a bit; once I've settled in I think I may bring up that I think the social groups are too quick, but I don't expect I'll get anywhere with that :wink: 

Edited to add that one annoyance is that the championship spreadsheet doesn't work on my PC (I use a Mac and don't have access to a Windows machine).  The spreadsheet is quite complicated with lots of code behind it, and it throws errors on my Mac.  Again, the committee knew this in advance and they've provided me with a Windows machine, which I picked up last night.  I won't make any changes suddenly, but in the background I'm working on a way to simplify it all as it is open to errors with the way it works out the age grading, etc.  
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    I've found the piece in Jim Fixx's book, very interesting......  I've copied this from the book.

If you're preparing for a race you should put in the proper number of training miles to get past the collapse point, the mileage beyond which you simply can't do anything more than what has been called a 'survival shuffle'.    Your collapse point is easy to compute, if you never miss a day of running it's your daily mileage multiplied by three.   If you occasionally miss days calculate your collapse point by adding up your most recent monthly total and divide by ten.  The collapse point is only a rough guide, some runners can run farther than the theory indicates, some less.   Nor do collapse point computations take speed into account.   all they tell you is that if you train enough you'll probably be able to make it to the finish line.   They don't say what you'll look like when you get there.   You'll have to experiment to find that out!

• Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Big G-Good luck with the new role and it's good of them to supply you with a machine.
    Suz-Hope the long runs go OK and the injuries stay at bay.
    Mowzer-Sounds like you're having a tough time at the minute,hopefully it will all get back to normal soon and you enjoy it all again.
    Shades-Good luck with the mot, always a nervous day.
    Managed 5 miles last night again,and legs are pretty much back to normal now,can still feel an occasional soreness but nearly there.quickest recovery ever for me.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - that's a real pain that the spreadsheet is not compatible with your PC, and I guess the spreadsheet has been adjusted by different folk over a period of time hence a build up of errors/calculation anomalies.

re Bideford, don't race it if it will take too long to recover from.

Ian5 - faster recovery = improved fitness, good news.

I'm optimistic that it may just be a wiper blade or two required for the MOT  , thankfully I have had a service plan so the cost of the service is covered, it's a big service too this time. :)
  • Options
    E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    Hello all!
    @Mowser - well done for completing a really tough event! How are you feeling now? Any problem from your toe?

Big G - your issue with the mac is one reason why i went back from mac to windows :( It used to annoy me something chronic!

Shades - how is your knee? Feeling ok?

I managed 20miles this morning with the dogs. They absolutely loved it! Rogue normally has white legs... It took a 15 minute bath to try and get her clean and she's still filthy!
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Emmy, I know what you mean about it being annoying but I can't see me going back to Windows.  I think it's "Microsoft Excel for Mac" that's causing the issues, as opposed to my machine itself.  Also, I have ran the same version of the spreadsheet on the Windows machine that has been given to me, and I'm getting errors there too.  I think I need to do some debugging.  Tut, it's just like being back at work  ;)

Just got back from a short trail run myself.  Muddy, but enjoyable!
  • Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Lovely dog, Emmy!
    Congratulations, Big G. :smiley:
    Shades - interesting. My miles vary a lot - 4 is my usual minimum (excluding parkrun). I often run 6 and occassionally further on weekedays but then a long run on Sunday.
    I was definitely doing "survival shuffle" for the last 6 miles of Manchester last year. I hope to avoid it a bit longer this time around...!

A frustrating day for me. It was always going to be a rest day but I'd hoped to get some yoga in. Today was the day the Sky engineer was meant to come. Now they're meant to call you by 9am to say when they're coming, but I got no call, so I called Sky Protect to ask. After an eternity on hold listening to the most annoying music in creation, the girl on the other end checked and said between 2 and 4 so it looked as though I could get to 12pm yoga. But then I check my email and see one saying "you have cancelled your engineer visit." Wait, what?

Well, I figure she's just sent the wrong email out, but I call back to question it, as you do. Another eternity listening to the same music leaves me wanting to stab someone - anyone - in the face. But eventually I get through to someone. Well, the silly girl has accidentally cancelled my engineer. OK, so contact him and tell him he's not cancelled, I say. But apparently, that can't happen due to some crap about risk assessments that defies all logic.

So, thanks to an error on the part of an incompetent Sky Protect person, I now have to wait until bloody Monday for another engineer to come. Jesus wept! Oh and of course, I missed yoga being on the phone. (There are only morning and evening classes, unfortunately, I don't want to do a crowded class at 6pm, especially as it's flow not Bikram).

Now that also means no run on Monday, and I'm not running on Sunday as I'm marshalling, so that's bloody annoying too. Argh, I'm officially exasperated.
  • Options
    E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    Cal - How frustrating for you!! Please complain to Sky... that's awful service!  Thank you! I have a Brown husky as well :) I've got a little pack forming!
  • Options
    SlowkoalaSlowkoala ✭✭✭
    Mowzer - sounds like you need a couple of days of well deserved rest to sort out your sore leg and tiredness. Have you had your iron levels checked recently? I only ask as it's a fairly easy fix if they are low.

Emmy - HBD to Evelyn! We actually passed an 'Evelyn Road' on our run last night and I thought of you/her!

Shades - hope the knee is less inflamed today. Don't overdo those squats! That's interesting to read about the collapse point. It suggests that anyone doing 50 miles or less per week will collapse at 20 miles or before, so that's most of us stuffed then!

Big G - congrats on the committee place.

Legs haven't been too bad after Brighton, although my dodgy hamstring has felt a bit tight. Did 8 miles with my club last night and then 10 on my own this morning. Have a 20 mile race in 2 weeks so may not do the 20 in my schedule this weekend. We have a new parkrun starting on Sat which is only 5 miles away so will probably give that a go.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Emmy - knee is getting better I think, I'm reluctantly running every other day at the moment and have cancelled all this weeks classes and not doing any squats etc at home..   Still getting twinges now and then but less so.
    What a lovely photo of a tired but happy Rogue :)

Cal - marathons are often unpredictable but you should find the latter stages of your next marathon easier to deal with.   Partly because you know now you can complete the distance successfully and also due to another year's training miles in your legs. 
    That's really annoying about Sky, dopey cow on the phone messing up your week.

SK - I don't think James Fixx means collapse as we might think of it.   The book was written 40 years ago and science has moved on, I think he is referring to the point when you body runs out of glycogen and switches fuel and for some that have really overcooked it 'hitting the wall'.   He also does say he hasn't taken speed into account so even more important to get the pacing right, so his theory could be a good warning to runners not to start out too fast.    I'm going to read the whole book again, it's a very good read.
    Good news that the hamstring isn't too bad after Brighton.  Will you race your 20 mile race or run at training pace?   Will probably do you good not to do a long run this weekend, I expect you've done a lot of long runs.

Rest day for me today, I'm not enjoying taking every other day off, think I will resume daily running from tomorrow, just keep the distances down.  
    Car sailed through it's MOT, even the wiper blades which I thought were on their way out, so only had to pay the £39 for test.  The garage gave me the wrong car key when I left, unfortunately the key wasn't for the new 17 plate SUV which was waiting for collection either. 
  • Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    I've had a few knee twinges of my own this week too, Shades. My left twinged on Monday and my right has been twinging on and off for a couple of days. I realised this was almost certainly due the downhills at Thorpe - the one just after mile 4 was steep up and down. My knees are a bit hypermobile so it's not hard for me to jarr them.

Good news about the MOT - that's a load off, eh?

SK - glad the hammy isn't too bad. Time for a massage?

Well, after yesterday's frustrations I was keen for a run today. Weather forecast promised blue skies and sun, but what I actually got was a lot of wind and that seemed to bring the clouds with it. Certainly wasn't warm.
    I was looking at doing at least a 10 mile run today with 6-8 at MP. What I actually did was a 12 (.2) mile run with 10 at faster than MP. After the first two warm-up miles, I got into a rhythm and that rhythm seemed to get faster. I need to run 10:15 or better to get under 4:30, so I've set that as my MP, but my supposedly MP miles started at 10:03 for one mile, hit the 9:50s for the four miles after that, and then the 9:40s (with 9:37 at mile 11). Funny thing is, I was battling against wind (uh, the weather kind...) towards the end and actually felt as though I was going slowly.

So, as a MP run, it was a bit of a failure, but in a good way, maybe. :D

I have booked yoga for later. I haven't been to yoga for a week and a half, so even though I don't normally go if I've run for more than 10 miles, I really need to today. My back feels OK again, so I think I can risk it. :)
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    edited March 2017
    I've been dog sitting the last couple of days, which has been good.

Last night I went for a walk with the dog and, errrrrm, "accidentally" walked into a dog-friendly pub with her.  Nice ales for me, and a water bowl and dog biscuits for her.  Both happy :)

This morning I took her for a long, hilly, muddy 7.5 mile walk which was really good.  It's one of my favourites as it's very quiet, with great views of the River Dart at one point, and Torbay at another.  Very nice.  Sad to see that a popular woods nearby (Churston Woods) has a lot of diseased trees, so the forestry commission have basically ordered it to be cleared and that work is in progress.  Very sad to see, but I suppose necessary.  They're not replanting though, which makes me suspicious of development, but maybe that's just the cynic in me.  Lots of childhood memories there (I was born in nearby Brixham), as the large woods leads onto a secluded beach (pics below), where very few tourists ever get to.  

Brixham Breakwater in the background

Hiske enjoying a dip

I've just got back from a 4-mile run, and as it was dry I ran it in a new pair of shoes, which are the ones I'm going to wear for my marathons  They're the same made/model as another pair I run in regularly, but I just thought I'd should try them (make sure laces aren't too tight etc).  If the weather is okay, I'll run in them at this weekend's Half too.