Shades Marathon Training

Comments

• SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G -  I think you should step away from those pizzas.   Try making Iain's recipe, low/no carb and so tasty.

mowzer - I'm not surprised your foot hurts, you're doing 40 mile events over tough terrain before allowing it to heal properly.

I just looked at Worcester results for last year and there were a few finishers over 6 hours but I can't remember if they had the same time cut offs last year or maybe they just don't stick to them, I don't know.    Maybe wait and see how your foot is nearer the time and then decide.  I put the race info in my file but didn't read it.

I'm doing Hereford this weekend and am pleased to see it's a single loop, apparently there's a grade 4 hill but as I don't cycle I've no idea what means, anyone else know?

Ian5 - I hoping that the hill training and also as time goes on might help with your cramps, we'll have to see.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    mowzer - was just on Worcester website and on their it says those taking 6 hours will be followed to finish by a car.

I've just looked at the leaflet now and it says 5:30 the marshals may leave but you would be followed by a car, nothing about pulling runners off the course.
  • SlowkoalaSlowkoala ✭✭✭
    Mamafox - hope the tapering is going OK and that any niggles are calming down. I sometimes wonder if it's to do with not running as much making you feel things more, i.e., it's not psychological.

First track session in over 6 months last night and it really showed! My 15 yo son came along which made me feel even slower on the 200 sprints. A lady in our club who is 79 and has a pacemaker comes regularly but does her own thing. She still competes regularly.

I've signed up for that medical research into female vet runners and the heart. I have my first hospital appoint in a couple of weeks which involves: ECG, Echo, 24-hour heart monitor, exercise test (V02 max test), and a blood test. Eek!
  • NickW2NickW2 ✭✭✭
    Hi all, been very busy the last few days (i.e. not in the office so no time to be on forums all day ;)). Looks like some good running/recovering/tapering/obstacle coursing going on all round. Good luck to mamafox and shades this weekend.

My knee and foot haven't really got any better or worse the last few days. Sometimes they go away and I wonder if they are fixed, but then they start aching again. Sometimes separately, sometimes together. It's a bit annoying and I might go and see a physio if it hasn't cleared up in a couple of weeks.

I did an easy 7.5 miles on Wednesday with my running club, which on the plus side felt good despite being just under 8 min mile pace. My knee did ache most of the way round, but then once I stopped and stretched I couldn't feel it at all the rest of the evening. Which just confused me tbh.
  • Hi Guys!
    Check out www.bmperformancetraining.co.uk for quick, easy to use, 1:1 training!
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    That post from ben midgeley is not welcome on here, we don't do spam.
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    edited May 2017
    Had a good rest day yesterday, just chilling out and a shortish walk with a stop for coffee, and the meal out last night was very nice too.  Not long been back from a steady 6-miler and felt okay, but seemed fairly humid today?

SK, good luck with that test.  It'll be interesting to see what comes out of it.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    SK - great news you've signed up for the athlete testing, I hope you'll find it really useful and also reassuring.   A VO2 max test is a really useful bit of data for you and they cost over £100, lots of athletes will pay that quite happily but you'll get yours for free :)

You'll soon be back into the routine of track stuff, have you been back to the boot camp?

Nick - a few years ago I had a job that gave me lots of forum time :)  and actually my boss at the time didn't mind as long as my work was up to date, he was a very kind man.

Maybe a physio is a good idea, is it the same leg that knee and foot are troubling you?   If so they could easily be connected and caused by the same injury/imbalance.
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    SK-That sounds like a really good bit of research to get involved on. 
    8 miles today felt good, getting into a nice habit of running before work when I'm in a bit later.Kept it nice and slow in readiness for my 18 tomorrow.Going to do about 12 on the only part of my ultra route that I haven't run so I can get used to it.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Ian5 - it's a nice time of year to run in the morning.

Is your ultra part tarmac, part trail type surface?
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Shades-Yes it is,some is on path type trail,but quite easy and some road also,probably about 20 miles road and the rest paths
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Ian - that's quite a good mix and should be good surface for a summer race.  

If there's no or little shade you may want to start thinking about something to shade your face and protect the back of your neck from the sun, as you're going to be out there for a few hours in the race.   I'm sure it gets hot on the Wirral sometimes.  ;) 
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Shades-I'll be finished before the sun rises  ;)
    I have a cap I wear when it's hot but didn't think about my neck so thanks for the reminder.
    I've ran the majority of the route over time but there's a few sections I haven't so plan to put them in my runs the next few weeks.Starting to look forward to it now my trainings going well.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Ian5 - Well unless you have long flowing hair to protect your neck a buff is probably the best option.  If it's hot you can pour cold water on it and it will help keep you cool.

It looks a nice race and if it was a bit closer I might be tempted myself :)
  • mamafoxmamafox ✭✭✭
    Ian - Sounds like your training is going really well.

Nick - I don't understand my body and running injuries most of the time. Physio sounds like a very good idea.. do you have to pay for physio in the UK?

SK - Those tests sound great.. be really interesting to see the results.

We are off early tomorrow morning (In brother in law's car thank God) and then we have decided to stay over in Blaye for the night after the marathon. There sounds to be quite a good atmosphere and wine tasting afterwards so we're going to make a weekend of it  :) Only problem is due to a combination of a vet bill closely followed by a tax bill we are completely skint so are having to take our pop up tent to stay in. I hate camping. This means that I cannot have a luxury purple lighting up spa bath after my marathon but a poxy camping communal shower  :/ Anyway, fingers crossed foot doesn't play up, haven't run for three days so we'll see what happens there. Will pop a quick post from my phone after. Good luck for Hereford Shades!
  • mowzermowzer ✭✭✭
    Good luck to all our marathoners this weekend :) .

I'm doing Meridian Meander but am going to walk it.

Shades - I'll probably follow your advice (as I should have done long before :( ) and rest my foot over the next couple of weeks. I've got a walking holiday on 6th June and don't want to put that at risk.
  • SlowkoalaSlowkoala ✭✭✭
    Mowzer - isn't the MM 26 miles? That's not resting the foot is it?!! :) I hope it's OK. You are seriously hardcore.

MF - good luck this weekend! I hope the weather is OK for your camping. I think it will be a more fun experience than a luxury hotel, much more sociable. I hope your foot is OK too.
  • SlowkoalaSlowkoala ✭✭✭
    Shades - no, not returned to bootcamp, funnily enough! I have found a fitness class on Monday nights (£3) that I might try next week and if that's no good, I'll go back to Pilates.
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    MF-Good luck and bring home the wine.
    Shades-Definitely no flowing locks here,pretty sure I got a buff in a goodie bag at some point so will have a look. 
    May be a bit early but what type of pace should I be looking to run the race at.I know slow but don't know how slow
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    mamafox - good luck, hope you have a brilliant race....think of the wine.   Bad luck on the camping but we can't have luxury all the time ;)

mowzer - well I guess 26 miles will feel a bit more comfortable than 40.   We've had some rain here so maybe the ground will be a bit softer there too.

Thank you for your kind words in response to my farewell speech :)

SK - maybe boot camp is a bit too extreme, I'm put off stuff like that as always worried about getting an injury.   £3 fitness class sounds a bargain.   I don't think it matters too much what you do as long as it works a few muscles not used during running, such as core area and you enjoy it so keep on doing it.

Ian5 - I would say that you would expect to finish roughly at a pace one minute per mile slower than marathon pace, of course as with a marathon all sorts of stuff can happen but I've rarely seen anyone hit the 'wall' in an ultra because of the more cautious pace in the early miles.   I would suggest that your aim is to get to marathon point no faster than 4:20 so 10 m/m.    I know you've had cramping problems in the past, do you cope OK if you have to take a walk break in a race, do your legs seize up?   Being able to walk in an ultra is important if only to walk through the drink stations to take on fuel adequately. 

Rest day for me today. 
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Shades-Never tried walking breaks as such,I've stopped at traffic lights for a minute or so and got going OK again and in my track marathon I had to stop for a few minutes to stretch and kick myself and managed to get going again without seizing so should be OK, but will practice them on some of my longer runs.
    Very wet morning here so hoping it dies off a bit before I run at 8
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Ian5 - sounds like you'll be fine if you have to take a walk break.   You'll have seen in the latter stages of a marathon some runners running at an incredibly slow pace, far slower than a gentle walking pace, these are usually runners that literally can't walk as their legs seize up.   Being able to walk is important in ultras if it's needed.

Have a good run today
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Good luck MF!  As Shades said, think of the wine :)

Ian, sounds like your training is going brilliantly.  Hopefully the rain eased off a bit for your run.

I did 6-miles today, including a jog around a parkrun.  My last 3 runs haven't been too great really, and annoyingly I've developed a niggle in my left hip now.  I've been stretching it for the last couple of days, and massaging the area with a tennis ball (basically, following my Trigger Point Therapy book), but it's just not quite right, and often when walking I can feel it too.  Uphills are worse as I can feel a twinge when I put my foot down, and also lift it up again.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - that definitely sounds like a hip flexor niggle/strain.   Has your other groin strain cleared up now?

• Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Shades, the other groin isn't totally fine yet. It's much better though and hopefully the continued stretching will sort it out. 
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    edited May 2017
    Big G-Hope that niggle goes soon.
    Shades -Good luck for Hereford, hope that hill isn't too bad.
    Done my 18 before my trip this morning, rain eased off nicely so great weather.Didn't go the trail route as I didn't have much spare time to drive there.Felt tired at the start,probably due to 5 busy days in work and a few days running but was all good after a couple of miles.
    10 min miles for my ultra is 20 secs p/m slower than my current back to back runs so that should seem really easy hopefully,until about 25 miles I'd imagine  :)
  • mamafoxmamafox ✭✭✭
    Thank you for the good luck messages.. they must have worked because I DID IT. Finished 53rd out of around 650 runners, 1st in my age category and 3rd woman overall with a time of 3:40. Great trophy and most importantly I won the wine  :) I think it was the hardest marathon I've ever done, You just felt you were climbing constantly, they had to change the course and the overall distance ended up being around 44km instead of 42! Mr Fox has taken some photos of me grinning like a fool on the podium so I'll have a go at posting those later. As usual, thanks to all Shadies for all the support during my training, especially the guru herself :)
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Wowee well done MF,great running for that time with that distance,enjoy the wine  :)
  • mowzermowzer ✭✭✭
    Brilliant running mamafox  :) Enjoy the wine (and the camping!)

• Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Well down MF!  Brilliant time, and prize :D