Shades Marathon Training

Comments

• SlowkoalaSlowkoala ✭✭✭
    Blimey MF, podium place and a cracking time on a LONG course! Fantastic! Must have been down to all the drugs from the toothache. How much wine did you win? Can't wait to see the pics.
  • SlowkoalaSlowkoala ✭✭✭
    And can we see the trophy too?  :)
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Mamafox-you are bloody brilliant.  When you race you're like woman on a mission. Enjoy the celebrations and the wine you deserve it. Hope the foot isn't too sore.  Looking forward to the race report with photos.

Big G- well at least the other groin injury is almost healed. 

Ian--enjoy your football match.
    Yes in an ultra the idea is to keep pace comfortable, that's why some prefer ultras to marathons.
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Awesome, MF! Enjoy your wine, you totally earned it!

Did yin yoga and attended a mobility workshop today. I didn't learn anything in the workshop that I didn't already know, but it was good to spend a couple of hours on those hotspots.
    As for my problem, rest hasn't really improved things but I've got another massage booked on Monday so we'll see, I guess.
  • NickW2NickW2 ✭✭✭
    Wow congrats mamafox that's brilliant!
  • mamafoxmamafox ✭✭✭
    Thank you all so much for your lovely comments  :)
  • Iain LoveIain Love ✭✭✭
    Mamafox - wow fantastic result. Bet you'll be grinning for days to come.. 

I haven't run a huge amount this week,  did 7 miles on Thursday which seemed tougher than it should be. Then today I did 3 runs in total.  I ran to the cyclopark (3.3 miles) where there us a run organised every Sunday. I did the 10k option which was 4 laps on a tarmac cycling track. And then I ran home. Total milage was about 12 miles. The 10k was at 90% effort and for that I got a new 5k PB (19:03) and a new 10k PB (38:45) so although not as fast as I wanted to run it was a very useful and interesting. 
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Afternoon everyone.  I did the East Allington 10K race today, that Claire's school put on in her memory.  Well attended again, and a great atmosphere - both helped by decent weather.  Yesterday evening it looked like it was in danger of a washout.  It's a very nice course, with a couple of hills thrown in (560ft of ascent, which is nearly as much as London Marathon....) and it all went off really well.  I didn't race it as such, but did quite a hard effort and finished in about 48mins.  

We (the school and I) did have a bit of a dilemma, but I think we've done the right thing.  We were wondering whether to make the race "official" in terms of affiliating with EA or ARC, but we've decided not to which I think is correct for now.  Mainly we want to keep the family atmosphere as opposed to having a load of racing snakes turn up, but also parking can be an issue in bad weather; there is room in the village, but we also don't to upset the local people.  Today was fine as the farmer let us use his field, but in bad weather he doesn't allow that so it can't be guaranteed.

Anyway, that's 4 races in 4 weeks (London, Plym Trail, Crediton Crunch and East Allington) so hopefully I'll get to the start of Leiden marathon next week in one piece!
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Big G, you're almost as bad as mowzer. I hope your body forgives you! Leiden looks really nice, so I hope you enjoy it.

I did Vinyasa today and it really kicked my butt. The teacher included a really challenging core move so I think I might be a little sore tomorrow! Also walked three miles after lunch as it was nice and warm. Checked on the geese and the surviving goslings are now almost full-grown. Hopefully the mean swans will leave them alone now.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2017
    Good drive up to Hereford yesterday. Had a bit of a sore throat and felt like I might be getting a mild cold, but this morning although my throat was still a little sore I didn't feel any worse, I didn't take my RHR in case it was high and that might scare me.

Short drive to race venue, very friendly and I knew half of the runners, only 48 finishers in the marathon.   The race organisers limited the entry as they wanted to test the course out as this is the first single lap marathon in Hereford for several years.   We were expecting the 'Grade 4' hill which turned out to be a long drag from mile 4 to mile 7 with a steep bit which I had to walk.   However, we weren't expecting the next 15 miles to be quite so undulating, quite tough as every corner we went round there was yet another gentle climb.  Course levelled out for the last 4 miles.   Quite warm in some places, some runners struggling in the heat but no warmer than 18 degrees but sun was strong.   Course was lovely, mostly quiet roads and through some beautiful chocolate box villages and the fruit orchards were in full bloom, a beautiful part of the country.  This village was gorgeous and the locals were out cheering us on and banging pans as we ran through the village.   I've seen more wisteria today that I've seen in the last year

I got to halfway in 2:20 and then moved up from 47th place to finish in 38th place, 2nd half was 6 minutes slower than first half, so that was better than last couple of races.   Finished in 4:45:59.

I think my groin pain is history as it hurt for about 10 minutes at mile 6 then faded and nothing after that. :)
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - glad to hear Claire's race went so well today with a good turnout and atmosphere.   Did your hip niggle bother you today.

You too have a serious race habit   :D
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Shades, that looks lovely. The hills, not so much. Excellent result for you, despite the warmth and undulations. Good job and glad to hear the groin was a non-issue.
  • SlowkoalaSlowkoala ✭✭✭
    edited May 2017
    Another well paced marathon, Shades. You are having a good year! Must be good to see the back of that ground injury at last.

Big G - so good that Claire's race has become an annual event. A lovely way for everyone to remember her.

Parkrun yesterday, not a great time, slowed down in 2nd and 3rd miles. But was 2nd overall and overtook a man in the final 400m which was good! Persuaded OH to run a 10k today, run by a local-ish club. I didn't fancy it myself, but he needed to run 6 miles as training for the Vitality 10k, so he did it as a training run which worked well. Quite enjoyed spectating for a change (but couldn't help noticing that 1st lady was only 46ish mins).
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Shades -That looks and sounds like a nice place for a race, my only experience of Hereford was an unplanned overnight stay in the train station. 
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Ha ha - Ian5, I had one of those "unplanned overnight stays" in Plymouth train station once.

Shades, hip niggle didn't bother me too much whilst actually running, but I could feel it afterwards.

A very long race report on the weekend with lots going on.  I asked people to send me stuff in before 9pm, which they did, as I have an early start today with a drive to France and Belgium.  Staying in Bruges tonight, before going to NL tomorrow.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2017
    SK - I still have a lot more planned for this year :)

Must have been frustrating to watch that 10k, knowing you could have been on the podium :'(

Big G - as the hip doesn't really bother you running, that's a good sign.

I've just seen the time you posted on here..3:27 am., you did have an early start, you must be getting close to Dover now.   Have a good trip.

Cal - are you still resting your injury from running?

Iain - well done on 2 new shiny PB's in one session

Ian5 - sorry to hear about the football, but hope you had a good weekend anyway.

5 mile recovery run done, am feeling a bit tired, like Cal I don't sleep that well after a race and throat is still a bit sore but RHR still within normal range.    Legs are fine a little tired, Yogalates class will sort me out :)
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    I am, Shades. I went for a half hour massage/adjustment/ultrasound this morning. My guy says that my tendon is less reactive, which is good (means the tendon itself is getting better) so the discomfort I'm feeling is more to do with tight muscles. He did some releases and adjustments and then taped me up and I feel a lot better.
    Enjoy yogalates - I'm off to Vinyasa later.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Cal - well the rest from running plus the rehab and your yoga seem to be working.  Are you still considering a DNS at Liverpool?   Some of the guys at the race yesterday were saying Liverpool is a good race and recommended it.

I like the Yogalates on a Monday morning, it sorts me out after a marathon.
  • NickW2NickW2 ✭✭✭
    Well done shades, sounds like a nice small marathon and a really strong run from you, good news about the groin as well.

Cal-  glad the injury is improving.

Big G - well done on your 10k, hope you have a good journey and enjoy Holland et al.

Quiet weekend for me, a small amount of walking but mostly sitting around. Think my foot/knee problems are improving slightly but not sure as they get better and worse through the day. Had planned to run tonight to see how it was but will rest until Wednesday I think and then test it out on am easy club run.

I am toying with the idea of booking a physio appointment, but it's about £50 for half an hour and I'm tight. I saw a local one last year when I had what turned out to be an ITB problem, to be fair he was friendly and really helped and diagnosed it straight away, but I didn't like how he seemed to be trying to get me into the habit of going every 2-4 weeks for a physio session as I can't really afford that. I have my club's mile race a week on Wednesday, so think I will probably do a couple of easy runs before then, give that my best go, and if needed see physio the week after (helpfully they are open on evenings and weekends).
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Shades, I'm more inclined to give it a go. I almost certainly won't do as well as Manchester - it'll be a get around kind of deal. But I've paid for the hotel and train and well, the medal's pretty swag. :grin:

Nick - get a tennis ball in your TFLs and then roll out your ITBs. That'll help a lot.
  • NickW2NickW2 ✭✭✭
    Cal - don't think my ITB is the problem any more (at least, it doesn't hurt where it used to). And I don't know what my TFL is (unless you want me to play tennis on the tube)? As far as I can tell from googling my current issue is to do with the peroneal tendon, for which the general consensus seems to be don't push it too hard and it should go away by itself. So I'm hoping if I don't do any speed sessions then it will gradually improve.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Nick - has your GP's surgery got a physio that you can be referred to FOC?   Some surgeries allow you to refer yourself so no prior GP appointment needed.   You might have to wait a while but some of them are very good and there's nothing to lose.   
    Your running club might also have a discount that club members are entitled to at a physio, worth asking.

Cal - good for you, as you say you've booked travel and hotel and you can just enjoy the race without worrying about trying for a PB.
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Big G-Enjoy your trip.
    Nick-Hopefully a bit of rest will see your niggle settle down.
    Cal-Good choice to still go to Liverpool, as everything is paid for even if you slowly run round you will still comfortably beat the cut off and have a weekend away.
    Shades-we did indeed have a good weekend,pity about the result but I've been going long enough to not let it bother me too much now.
    On the way home then going to go for a 6 mile run as no hangover surprisingly.Just remembered I have Chester half this weekend,be interesting to see how I go.
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Nick - it's the little muscle the ITB goes in to at the top of the hip. I strained mine once and it's a little bugger. Always good to get into those anyway since all the stuff in the front of the hip gets tight through sitting.

And thanks guys - my number just turned up so looks like I have no choice now. :lol:
    Shades, as something of an expert here, should I be worried that I haven't run more than 13 miles since Manchester?
  • mowzermowzer ✭✭✭
    Iain - well done on your pbs  :)

Big G - glad that Claire's Race went well again. The only advantage of getting a permit would be the insurance cover or do you do that anyway?(You could try TRA). Enjoy your trip  B)

Shades - that looks like a nice marathon. Well done on your time  :)

I had a lovely walk (no running at all  :o) at the Meridian Meander. Met a friend (who only walks nowadays) at the start and we went round together. Good sunny weather - got rather hot at times and just one short sharp shower, well stocked checkpoints, good navigation instructions, very relaxed atmosphere and beautiful countryside (photos on the LDWA facebook page if you'd like a look). More like 27 mls than 26 and we finished in 8h 03m. Definitely on the list for next year :) . An Italian guy tagged onto the back of us (he asked at the first checkpoint if he could follow us) as although he spoke a little English, he couldn't understand the written instructions, especially with the abbreviations! They also had an 11.5 ml event which visited 5 pubs and had free soup/roll, chips and an ice cream along the way  :p All the events finished at the community centre where there was a bar and a BBQ. I just had yet another piece of cake and a nearly a whole jugful of water before a shortish drive home  ;)
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    mowzer, are you doing so many events to justify all the cake? :lol:
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    I think mowzer likes to eat out, al fresco :D

mowzer - you didn't mention your foot, so is it OK today?
    Shall I put you on the list for Worcester or are you staying home.

Cal - no, you don't need to worry about not having run further than 13 miles since your marathon, you might be a little weary at the end but then we all are.

Ian5 - good to know you still had a good weekend, I followed a BMW down the M5 yesterday and the passenger threw a football scarf out the window, so I guess a sore loser!   Black and light green/yellow colours.

I too am keen to see how you get on at Chester, no need to taper but ease up a bit on the training if you feel tired on the couple of days before the race.

You are my guinea pig on the ultra plan   :)
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    edited May 2017
    Shades- definitely not one of ours as were blue and white,can't think who that was.
    My plan for this week is tomorrow my hilly run,then wed and thu 9 and 6 easy run,then see how my legs are feeling for Fri and sat,not bothered about pb as I'm not resting before it but hoping to get close with all the miles I'm doing.legs feel really good at minute,didn't bother running when I got home though as a bit tired. 
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    I'm hoping that you'll find holding your pace in the half easier after your ultra training.   But you run a half well anyway.
  • mamafoxmamafox ✭✭✭
    edited May 2017
    Just trying to catch up, away for the weekend and running round trying to sort stuff out so haven't had time to sit down and concentrate on posting photos. Worried that I might get it all wrong and post a boring photo of the cat or something. 

Shades - That sounds a lovely race.. and a good one for you too. Thank goodness that injury seems to have gone, you can cut back on all those awful stretches now.

Nick - That seems pricey for physio. My foot seems to have miraculously got completely better after my race which flies in the face of all reason. Still early days though.

Big G - That's lovely that Claire's race went so well and now seems to be a permanent fixture.

Ian - Can't believe you "just remembered" you had a HM next weekend!

Mowzer - Hope your foot is ok after that "walk".. sounds like you enjoyed it.

SK - Lol at your beady eyes on that first lady finishing slower than you would, ha!

I actually went for a recovery run (hobble) the morning after my race  o:) I thought of you Shades and dragged myself out. It helped that I actually wanted to jog round the inside walls of Blaye's citadelle but it was a pretty painful 3km and I didn't really feel any better after tbh.
    The marathon has been officially classed as long, 43.xx km so won't be an official one or something. It's all kicking off.. apparently it was made longer as one particular chateau complained about being left out of the course so they made a last minute loop just to include it (as you do..) Anyway this resulted in an extra 1.5km being added to the distance!
    I have made a rough start on my report and promise I won't take 2 months to post it this time*cough*

Edited to tell Cal that it is completely the right decision to run Liverpool and in any case now you have your number the matter is out of your hands  ;)