Shades Marathon Training

Comments

• SlowkoalaSlowkoala ✭✭✭
    Mowzer - the 11 mile run sounds more appealing to me - all the food and less running/walking! Sounds like you had a good day though, with good company.

Cal - you'll probably end up getting a PB now that the pressure is off!

MF - recovery run and a pain free foot?! That's good going! 1.5 km is quite a bit too long! Would that have been a PB for you if the course had been the right length?

After giving up on boot camp, I tried another class tonight. It's a fitness class for a local hockey club, but they have opened it up to more people. There was a fair bit of running involved (sprint relays with high legs and running sideways type thing), but also different exercises and more press ups! It was challenging but didn't kill me in the same way as the BC, so I'll definitely go back. And it's only 3 pounds for one hour. Bargain!
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    mamafox - great news about your foot, must have been the wine!    Progress that you went for a little recovery run, though 3km is too short, it takes 3 miles of a recovery run before my legs start to feel 'normal' again, so next time try just over 3 miles and you should feel better.

It's a long time since your last race and one of your amazing reports, anyone newish to the thread such as Nick is in for a treat :'(

Well done again on a great race, shame about the over distance....fancy an ultra now that you've gone further than 26.2 miles? ;)

SK - that sounds like a good fitness class....be careful they don't sign you up for the hockey team ;)

Very warm and muggy this morning with a really strong headwind, funny weather.   Legs are still a little tired which is a shame as I booked an extra Pilates class for this morning, I do hope she's kind to us today.
  • Waves! Hi Shadies! I hope everyone is well, some brilliant running going on:) life has been hectic with family stresses too. My running keeps me sane! I also continue to enjoy Zumba and attend pilates with my husband which has helped strengthen my core. Since September I have lost 3stone 10lbs following the slimming world plan. I feel loads happier and on Sunday got a PB at Leeds half marathon 2.20.13, 27 minute improvement on last year! I have entered the York marathon on October 8th and wondered if you would be ok to send me your training plans again Shades please? Shall I message you my email address? If you have my BT one it is still the same. Many thanks.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Lily - well done, a 27 minute PB for a half marathon is superb, you must be feeling really good about that.   Great to hear you've entered York marathon and are ready to do another marathon.

How's the achilles, still troubling you?

Please message me your email address, I have a newish computer and lost a lot of email addresses.
  • Thanks Shades, will message you my address. My Achilles is recovered thanks, lump has gone! I am careful on hills and just being aware of any changes.
  • mamafoxmamafox ✭✭✭
    Not sure if you've got that photo.. in work and just tried posting one now.. can anyone see it? If not I'll try again!
  • mamafoxmamafox ✭✭✭
    Forgot to say that I am the wrinkly one on the right of the first girl. It might not look like it as I am hobbit sized but I am actually on the podium (Honestly)
  • mowzermowzer ✭✭✭
    Lovely photo mamafox  :). Those trophies are huge!

Hi lily. Well done on your pb. That's a massive time off a half  :)

Shades - foot not too bad on walk (with a couple of paracetamol!) but hurting again today  :(. I'm having a couple of weeks break from running to see if it will get properly better so I'm not running Worcester now. Have already booked accommodation for Sat night so I am going to marshal instead. Have already cancelled LDWA100 so that will give me some time before we go walkabout  B)
  • mamafoxmamafox ✭✭✭
    Ah that's a relief, thanks Mowzer.

Hi Lily! Great news on your PB :)

SK - No, I don't think that would have been a PB. The course was really hilly and too much trail running to keep up a good pace. People were saying to take off 15 mins to compare but I'm not sure. Whatever.. my goal was the wine!

Shades - Hope your Pilates was ok after all.
    And no.. I don't fancy an ultra!!!!
  • Iain LoveIain Love ✭✭✭
    edited May 2017
    Afternoon folks.. 
    Lily - congrats and the weightloss and an amazing new PB. It's nice when you have worked hard and toy can reap the rewards. 
    Mamafox - great pic, you don't love that hobbit sized. Plus I know from experience being small means you can draft bigger runners.. 
    Strange how I lost half a post.. 
    I went for an easy 5 miles today and remembered why I generally take a break from running competitively between may and September. It was hot and muggy. Remind me again why I'm running a marathon in July and possibly an ultra in August. 
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Lily - I've just sent you the training plans, ask if you need new training paces calculated.  Good news on the achilles problem clearing up too.

mamafox - fabulous photo, that looks a really impressive presentation ceremony with you laden down by your trophy.

OK won't mention ultras again ;)

Pilates was tough, couple of things I couldn't do, just not strong enough :'(

mowzer - sorry you're not able to run Worcester but look forward to seeing you marshalling somewhere.   But having to cancel the 100 miler is a real shame, but it would be too much for your foot as that's the following weekend isn't it.

Iain - it's suddenly gone warm and muggy over a couple of days.   You'll be fine in lower humidity.
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    edited May 2017
    MF-Great picture and definitely don't look like a hobbit.
    Lily-Brilliant weight loss and a great PB,very well done on both.
    Mowzer-Bad news on Worcester but great that you are marshalling instead.
    Shades-Hope the pilates gets easier.
    My mountain climbing session again today,3rd and last time on this 6 mile run with about 360ft of climb,it went really well and finished quicker again than last week,about 10 secs p/m faster.
    I'm in a few minds about what time to pace for at Chester on Sunday,my HM PB is 1:44:12 but today was pacing around 1:40:30 but not sure how much more I had in the bag,and another 7 miles to go,but not much more in the way of ascent to go,when i started thos i was thinking 1:45 would be my target with no taper and big miles but not sure now.Decision decisions....
  • 1SteveMac1SteveMac ✭✭✭
    Had a weekend away in Amsterdam....did 10k around Vondelpark, saw loads of runners and cyclists and I can't believe they don't have a parkrun!!

Anyway back to higher mileage with 47 miles last week, including a midweek 20 and 10 back to back. Got a 10 mile race Sunday coming, but might do it as MP as I'll have already run about 38ish miles for the week before then...so not exactly fresh!

In other news I have a new job and start on Monday :)
  • SlowkoalaSlowkoala ✭✭✭
    Lovely pic, Mamafox, did you get some flowers too? I think Shades is being very strict saying 3km doesn't count as a recovery run! ;)

Lily - great to hear from you and well done on the weight loss and huge HM PB. 

Steve - I can imagine parkrun going down really well in Holland, I wonder why they haven't tried it there yet. Well done for upping the miles again, 20 miles seems like a very long way now!

Shades - at my son's primary school they don't say 'I can't do...' but 'I can't do ... yet'! That is how you should view those Pilates moves and the same for me with press ups!! (the guy last night literally came and lifted me up and down!) 

7 miles tonight with my club. Average heart rate was lower than usual - hope this means I am recovering finally!
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Lily, great job on the weight loss and the PB. Good to hear the achilles has settled.
    SK - good news on the recovery.
    Steve, congratulations on the new job!
    mf - brilliant! Hope you didn't get taxed on the wine...
    Iain - yeah. I went to see the new Alien movie (hrmm...not the best) and decided to walk to there (about 5 miles). Had to stop and take off my hoodie. Muggy as hell.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Ian - as you're training so well it would be shame to not have a go at a PB at Chester if you feel like it on the day.   Maybe start out at a pace that would knock a minute off your PB and see how it goes?

Steve - congratulations on the new job, you've had a nice few months off.

SK - I can't do press ups either!   The exercise in Pilates I could only see 2 people being able to do it properly and there are many in the class that have been going there for several years.  Earlier on the guy in front of me got up and went and sat down at the side of the room as he couldn't do some tough hamstring stuff, fortunately my hamstrings are fairly strong.   Some of the stuff she gives us is quite advanced, I did manage to do one exercise for the first time yesterday that I've never been able to do before and a lot were struggling with that one too.

• Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Just a quick update from here in NL - I have read everyone's posts though!

steve, congrats on new job. I'm near Amsterdam this coming Saturday and also looked for a parkrun but there are none in NL at all it seems. 

MF, great pic and well done again. 

Mowzer, for Claire's 10K I think they use the school's existing insurance, so no benefit there in terms of affiliating with EA.

As for me, had a nice night in Bruges on Sunday, and then travelled to NL yesterday, visiting friends on the way. Quite tired from all the driving and done no running as yet, but will be going for a run later. 

We're staying on a boat tonight for two nights, on the canals here. Should be good. 
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Stev-Great news on the job,well done.
    SK-Good that you feel you've recovered now,hopefully get going again now.
    Big G-Enjoy the boat stay,I've thought of that in the past but never got round to it.
    Shades-That's similar to what I was thinking,1:43 pace should feel OK after my last few quick runs then if things are going well hopefully the stamina will mean I can hold it until the end.Work early again today but finishing at 2 so should get out for 8 or 9 later
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - it's a long drive but plenty time for you to catch up on your sleep.  

I just looked at the weather for Leiden for Sunday and it looks really good, very little wind, low humidity and max 19 degrees so should be fine.

Staying on the boat sounds fun.

Some countries just haven't taken to parkrun, it might be that folk run a lot there anyway so feel no need?

Good luck for Sunday if we don't see you here again before then.

Ian5 - that's a plan then, 1:43 pace :)
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    I realised I made a mistake in previous post - I stayed in Bruges on Monday night (not Sunday).  Holiday mode means I have no idea what day it is :)

Shades, good news about the forecast for Leiden.  Yesterday it was 23deg, but also very muggy and I was hoping it may cool down a bit for Sunday.

Ian, good luck with the PB attempt at the Half.

Done a nice 6-mile this morning.  Strava shows zero-feet of elevation...
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - I don't think you'll have to worry about any hills in the NL  ;)

Good to know you're in holiday mode :)
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Weekly update of the marathon list...

Marathon List - please add/amend - sorry for any errors/omissions 

13th March
    Enigma - Milton Keynes
    Big G - PB 3:54:17   

2nd April
    Manchester
    Cal - PB 4:29:29
    Ian5 -  4:29
    Steve -  PB 3:10:15
    NickW2 - PB 3:24:59
    Taunton
    Shades DNS

9th April
    Paris
    SuzSaville82 - PB 4:26
    Rotterdam
    Emmy 4:42
    Brighton
    Louey  - 4:24:45

23rd April
    London
    Big G - 4:00:59
    Iain Love - 2:57:49
    Slowkoala - 3:12:43
    Southampton
    Jugula - 4:21

29th April
    Plym Trail
    Big G - 4:29
    Shades - 5:01

1st May
    Belfast
    Shades DNS

7th May
    Great Welsh
    Shades - 4:44:12

13th May
    Marathon de Blaye 
    mamafox - 3:40 - 3rd place and she did win the wine :)

14th May
    Hereford
    Shades - 4:45:59

21st May
    Worcester
    Shades
    Leiden
    Big G

27th May
    Kent
    Shades
    Saturday Night
    Iain

28th May
    Liverpool
    Cal
    Dorchester
    Shades

3rd June
    Dartmoor Discovery
    Shades 

11th June
    Yeovil Marathon
    Shades

15th June
    Dorney Lake 6 Hour
    Shades

18th June
    Enigma Clueless
    Big G

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    Hi all :)

1SteveMac - What did you think of Vondelpark? I have some serious issues running around there as it's always the worst bit of the marathon for me! :) Well done on the new job!

Mamafox- Awesome podium finish and great photo! :D Well done!

Lily - Well done on the PB!

Mowser - sorry to hear that your foot isnt right and you're being sensible :)

Slowkoala - I like the phrase: i cant do ... yet! It's so optimistic.

Big G - are you staying in Ams? If you're around Breda give me a call :) Yes, we have zero (and negative) elevation here. It's quite annoying and not great for a hilly marathon! Yep, no parkrun here :( There's a 'faux' one the day before the Apeldoorn marathon. Hopefully Leiden wont be too hot for you. It's a scorching 35c here today.

I've managed to get out for a few runs but Evelyn has been ill so i've had to shorten them a bit. Managed an 8k tempo this morning with the dogs and it was already hot. I kept running to try and get some breeze on me!
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Emmy, we stayed in Dalfsen last night, with the boat in Zwartsluis currently and we're two nights on that. Back to Dalfsen Friday night, then staying near Amsterdam Saturday night before the race. Not sure about Sunday and Monday nights yet, although probably Bruges again on the Monday to break the journey back up nicely on the Tuesday (Bruges is only about 1hr from Dunkirk ferry). 

It's really hot here today - definitely too hot for running, although fine for sitting on the boat drinking and eating :-)
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Big G-Sounds like great weather for relaxing,hope it's not too hot on Sunday. 
    Easy 8 miles after work today,felt a little tough but then it often does after my hilly run and 2x4.30am alarm calls for work.Going to do 6 easy miles tomorrow then none Friday and Saturday to rest a little before Chester. 
  • E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    Antwerp is nice if you want to make a stop there. 

Ian - sounds like a plan, especially with those early starts!
  • Thank you for all your kind and positive comments:)
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Emmy - 35 degrees, that's very hot B)

Ian - I'm not surprised you're feeling a bit tired with the early mornings, good idea to ease up a bit.

Lily - good luck with the training, great that you've got your marathon mojo back :)

Much fresher and cooler here today, humidity feels quite low so lovely running weather.   I love it now it's so light in the early morning :)
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Yay for light mornings!
    I went out for a run today. Just a little one. I was starting to feel sluggish and I didn't want to start Liverpool with heavy legs.
    I made sure I did my rolling first, plus 50 squats and 50 glute bridges. Then I did some walking and knee-lifts and glute kicks before trying a little jog. I did about half a mile and it did not feel good, generally - very sluggish and tired. I decided to stop, have a bit of a walk, do some more drills and stretch, then started again. Attempt 2 was better. I did three miles, with miles 1 and 3 at regular easy pace (just a bit under 10:30) and mile 2 at MP (granted, it was the downhill mile, though - I wasn't pushing it).
    Happier with that. Injury discomfort is maybe a 3/10 tops. How it will feel after mile 20 is another matter entirely, but during Richmond half it didn't seem to get worse - if anything it eased towards the end. But Liverpool has hills, so we'll see I guess. Might have to walk up those.

On a related note, I'm going to rule out an Autumn marathon. I think it would be foolhardy to put my body through that again when it's not 100%. I'll be sticking with the halves and if I'm still in one piece at the end, I'll do another Spring marathon and then maybe an Autumn one next year.