Shades Marathon Training

Comments

• Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Emmy, I know your focus wasn't on the times when you were doing all those marathons to get into the 100MC, but what was your PB in the end? 

Back in the UK and arrived back quite late yesterday, so all the sorting out/washing to do now :(  

But I did enter Gloucester marathon yesterday :)  

I haven't ran since Leiden, but will be running today.

Question:  are there any recommendations for how to display medals?  All my medals (with the exception of my first London, which is in a plaque) are in a drawer, but I am thinking of making a display out of the marathon ones.  I was thinking something like a largish board (maybe a cork-type one), and just using pins to pin the medals to it, without their ribbons.  Any other ideas?
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Welcome home Big G, must be quite a tiring journey home.   You are definitely a marathon addict now having entered Gloucester even though you got home quite late :)    Don't forget to buy that Bodyglide too :'(

Re medals, lots of different ways to chose from and you might want to consider how many you might end up with :D

I've seen something similar to this photo at a friends house, looked really good.

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    Morning all,

Shades - Is that Dom and Lorna? I'm good friends with them. There's a big group going out to Luxembourg. I did it in 2013 and really liked it. I made a video during it (here). Sounds like a hot run for you! That's a lot of climb too :/

Big G - welcome home! :) My PB is 3.55 that I did in Berlin in 2013. I've tried twice to get better but I need to do it properly one day. How was the drive? 

RE: Displaying medals - I kept mine in a glass vase (it was massive). I'm not sure what to do with them at them if i'm honest as they're in a box at the moment.

8k little trot with Boyska this morning as i needed to get out to do some errands. Happy with my pace and feel but still a little tender in my legs.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Emmy - I'm not in 100MC club anymore :)   I was referring to my new running club

I love the video, thanks for that.   So in 2013  (Luxembourg to Berlin) in just a few months you improved your time by an hour :)  very impressive.

You're definitely getting your marathon fitness back, faster recovery too.
  • E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    Hi Shades; I know :) I meant the Mavericks! Yeah, I still have no idea why or what happened but the gods seemed to align. I'm looking for some other ones to see about keeping the marathon fitness ticking over.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    I haven't met any of the other Mavericks yet apart from Tarquin, oh and one girl that did Plym Trail too.

Hope you can find some more races to do.

I've just been reading race instructions for Dorchester, not done any White Star events before as they have all been trail so far.   But the race info is so funny, they really have a great attitude and sense of humour, most enjoyable read.
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    edited May 2017
    Emmy/Shades, my next two are one of Foxy's in June and then Gloucester in August.  I am thinking of a local one here (City to Sea) in September, but all of those I won't be going out with a particular time in mind - especially City to Sea, which is a tough race if I do it.  But, all being well, I'll build up to Abingdon in October to see if I can get closer to 3:45 (or maybe even, whisper it, 3:30).  I'm saying all that as really it has been a change of attitude that has helped me enjoy them more - certainly London and Leiden I enjoyed, although not so much Plym Trail - and the next 2 or 3 will be about enjoyment rather than a specific time too.  Of course if I feel good on the day at one of those I'll go for it too, but I won't specifically train for them in terms of doing other races in the build up etc.

Good video there Emmy :)  

Shades, yeah I'll get some Bodyglide too :)  
  • SlowkoalaSlowkoala ✭✭✭
    My medals and bibs are all in an old case but one day I'd like to buy an old rake head and hang them from that on the wall!

1st hospital visit earlier for the cardiac research. I had an ECG, a heart scan, blood test, VO2 test and now I have a HR monitor (worth over a grand!) attached to my chest for the next 24 hours!

I'm convinced he saw something funny on the ECG as he texted the doctor in charge afterwards. And they asked for my GP details at the end. But hopefully I'm being paranoid.

The VO2 test was on a bike for about 12 mins and involved cycling with a mask on and various wires attached to chest and having blood pressure taken. I think I stopped a bit early as I misunderstood what the guy said so it wasn't as exhausting as I'd anticipated. Bit 'interesting' travelling back on the tube with loads of wires and a device attached to me.

If anyone on here is local to London (Cal?) they are still looking for volunteers, need to be female, aged 40+ (and a runner for 10+ years).
  • E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    Slowkoala: I may know a few. Can you message me some details?  It sounds fascinating!  

I had a 24 monitor a few years back. They gave me a card with the hospital details on to give to the police if I was stopped!
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    SK - well done getting through the first batch of tests.   They always ask for your GP details whenever you have anything remotely medical done.

Don't flash your HRM device on the tube, you're likely to be arrested!

Big G - City to Sea is off road isn't it, I've heard quite a tough course.

I bumped into HA last week, yes injured. She's recovering from a stress fracture in her foot which they took a very long time to diagnose, only done so when she got an MRI and you know how long you have to wait for one of those.   She was cycling to keep her fitness up and then fell off her bike and broke her wrist. Then 6 weeks in a boot, after MRI.  Anyway getting her fitness back but not back to running yet, she has a pair of Hokas to help her.

Now that we're on highest security alert I've heard a lot of runners are cancelling their trip to Edinburgh this weekend :(
  • NickW2NickW2 ✭✭✭
    Slowkoala said:
    Bit 'interesting' travelling back on the tube with loads of wires and a device attached to me.
    I bet nobody sat next to you on the tube SK!
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Emmy - that was thoughtful the hospital giving you a card in case you were stopped by the police. :)

I see on FB that PH has asked who's going to Kent this weekend, she's not mentioned that she's already done her 500th, all the replies assume it's on Saturday, bit naughty.  So glad I found out beforehand.  
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    edited May 2017
    SK, sounds an interesting set of tests!

Shades, yes City to Sea is at least partly off road.  I think most of the first half is on good cycle paths, but the last 6 or so is mainly off-road I think.  There are very, very generous time cut offs though, so even me who is crap at off-road should be okay!  It's amazing how quickly that race has taken off over the last couple of years, I think; it's gone from nothing to quite a big event.  They put you on an early morning bus from Torquay to Exeter for the start, and then basically you run back.

I would need to get a Camelbak of some description I think, as from reading the instructions there aren't that many aid stations.  I'm not sure yet, but I know a few Trotters are doing it so I am tempted.  3200ft of elevation for the marathon (and 4600ft for the 34-mile option), so quite tough and I think most of that is in the last 6-miles or so.  I was thinking about going to Norwich that weekend with the WAY lot, but I've cancelled that to leave it open for me to do City to Sea if I want to.  But it's only 50/50 at the moment, so I'll see nearer the time.

Shame about HA - hopefully she'll be back soon.   Also a shame about people cancelling plans for Edinburgh.  I know it may be easier said than done, but personally I would still go if I was booked to do that race and presuming there was no advice saying not to travel.  I was nearly caught up in terrorist attacks in London 2005, India 2010 and Tunisia 2015 (when I say "nearly", I mean I was in the vicinity soon before the attacks, so didn't see anything and wasn't impacted personally), but since then I've made a conscious decision to keep doing what I want.  Obviously I listen to the government advice on where is safe to travel (so Syria/Iraq is out, obviously!!!), but I try not to worry too much about it.  I am due to go to two big concerts in London in the next couple of months and I will still go, presuming they don't get cancelled or the police say not to travel.  I do appreciate it's difficult though :(  
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    SK-Good luck with the tests, great idea getting it done as it's a free mot. 
    Shades-I've heard a few people dropping out of races this week,there's meant to be the Manchester half and 10k and Liverpool marathon. Personally I hope they go ahead and I'd do them if I'd entered as anything could happen anywhere anytime so try not to alter your life too much,but it's easy to say that when you're not personally affected I suppose.
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Another hot sticky run today,9 miles out and back along the front.I remembered to take water this time but still a tough run in the heat.
  • NickW2NickW2 ✭✭✭
    My mile race went amazingly well tonight, much better than I expected. As I mentioned my knee has been playing up the last few weeks but wasn't too bad on Monday, and this morning was the first one in ages when I didn't feel it getting out of bed. So that was a good sign.

Arrived about 30 mins before to register, did about a 10 min jog warm up and a couple of strides and loosening up things. We were chatting about target times and I was telling people 5:35, secretly hoping to dip under 5:30 if my knee behaved. Although it had been much better today I was still a little apprehensive about it. The route was the first mile of our local Parkrun, which is basically about half a mile straight and very slightly downhill, then a sharp turn and back slightly uphill along a parallel path. Obviously it's not closed off to the public so we went off in heats of about 5 or 6 every 30s, with faster ones first. I was in the 2nd heat and expected to be one of the faster ones, though there was 1 other guy I thought would prob beat me and another I thought might do.

We started off and the fastest guy went to the front, I sat in behind him intending to sit there if it felt ok. At about 300m we passed the first marshal and the pace felt really hard but I decided to try and hang on. Someone else was level with the leader on the other side of the path too which surprised me as I though I'd be about 10s ahead of him over a mile. We got to the turn point and they had opened up a small gap on me, maybe 5-10m, but I had started feeling a bit better. Psychologically being over half way gave me a bit of a boost and I told myself it's not that hard only 800m to go. Just after the turn is the steepest uphill bit (not steep at all but feels it when you're on the limit) and the surprise leading guy started coming back to me. I passed him with prob about 400m to go, could see the leader not that far ahead and was trying to decide if I was too far out to kick for home and try to chase him down. Then the guy I thought I'd be close to came past which surprised me as I hadn't seen him all race so I kicked and managed to drop him. Still prob 200-300m out here. I was gaining on the leader and pushed really hard but didn't quite catch him, crossing the line 1s behind in 5:11!

So I was about 15 secs faster than what I thought on the start line was best case, over the moon with that! My 2nd mile race and a 38s PB from a track race in September. Need to figure out how to convert that to other distances now lol. I think it really helped having people to chase too.
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Wow, Nick, well done - that's super fast! Glad the knee was good.
    SK - is it paying work? :grin:
    I asked for, and received, a medal hanger at Christmas. Thing is, it's going to be full by the end of the year (assuming I don't stuff myself up so badly in Liverpool I can't do my Autumn races) so I'll need another!
  • SlowkoalaSlowkoala ✭✭✭
    Emmy, if you PM me your email address, I can forward you the details. I'm just hoping the post office don't ask me how much the package is worth (£2k!) when I send the machine back today.

Cal - no, it's unpaid, but you'd have to pay over £100 for a proper VO2 test and all the heart tests mean a full MOT which you'd usually only get if they suspect an abnormality.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2017
    Big G - the folk that I know that ran City to Sea said it was really good, quite tough but not awful.   Even a lady in my Yogalates class who normally just does London on a GFA (she's 76) did it and said it was great.   Would be good DD training for you.   I don't know about needing a camelbak.

I agree a shame about folk cancelling Edinburgh but I believe it's mostly those travelling with families, not so much the individual runners and also because that another attack is expected soon has scared folk.  And as it's so soon after Monday's attack folk are in shock and their instinct is to stay home.

HA came to Yin Yoga last night, I had told her about it so she came along, I think she enjoyed it.   She's just started running again, but only 5/7 minutes run/walk

Ian - glad you're getting some warm weather training B)

Nick - that is fast, brilliant.   Go on put that in a race calculator and tell me your predicted marathon time :D

Lovely sunny morning and not so humid, good running weather B)
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Nick, super fast time there!  Well done!

Shades, HA must be so frustrated having to go back to run/walking :(    Regarding the City to Sea, there are two water stops, plus two check points which apparently has provisions.  But if it's hot I'll need access to water more frequently than that.  There is a small kit list that is checked, which tells runners to take water, amongst other things.

I went to the club session last night, which was my first run since Sunday.  It was a 10x400m session (it was supposed be 12x, but I think the coach miscounted, which suited me just fine!).  I took it relatively steady but it was good to get a session in with the club.

I think I'm going to rest today from running.  It's a lovely day here and I think I'm going to take the step dog out; I'm going to get a boat from Paignton to Brixham, have a look around there, and then walk back along the coast path, which is one of my favourites.
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Four miles this morning, and even though I went out at 7.30 it was already hot - almost 18 degrees! I've checked the forecast for Liverpool and fortunately it's a bit cooler there - it should max out at around 15 degrees. That's still rather warm for a marathon.
    I'd intended an easy run today but ended up a bit quicker (average 10:19). I was overtaken by a girl in a red shirt during mile 2 so I kept pace with her for a bit, overtook her, then she overtook me again before going a different way. Then the same thing happened with a different girl during the last mile, but once I went past her I stayed there. :lol:
    Glute/ham feels the same. No more running now until Sunday. I did have a little jog around the block the morning before Manchester, but not sure I will in this case.
  • NickW2NickW2 ✭✭✭
    Shades - the RW one says 2:45 for a marathon, though it's always wildly optimistic, especially converting from mile times (it thinks I should be able to knock 2 mins off my parkrun time too, for example). But I think it realistically indicates a sub-3 marathon should be possible.

Lots of people ran fast times yesterday, conditions were good for a short race, warm but not humid. I also suspect it may be slightly short (at least according to most Garmins), but not by a lot - mine measured 0.97 miles. Incidentally, you might remember previously I said our club's senior men's mile record seemed quite soft - it was 5:11 so I matched it. Unfortunately 3 other people in the "senior" category (plus a couple in older categories) went faster than me, so it's no longer quite as soft at 4:42.
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Nick-Great time for your race,well done.
    Big G-That sounds a great day out for you and the dog,enjoy.
    Cal-Weather is very hot up here but like you say we are down for rain tomorrow and a bit cooler Sunday but still warm,what wind there was today was going the right way for you so hopefully the same on Sunday.
    Shades-Well done on the hilly run.
    I was planned for a 7 mile hilly run today but with time constraints I changed it to 6 but then with the heat I ended running slower than usual so only could fit in 5.5 and even that was a lot slower than last week.Rest day tomorrow then my back to back runs with my first 20 miler of this plan.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - so nobody reminded the coach that there were still 2 more reps to do!!!

I think the rules are pretty lax about frequency of drink stations in trail events.  If you don't want a camelbak maybe think about a bottle belt as you'll be able to refill that at the drink stations.

I think HA is happy now she can start training again, I think she will be able to build up the mileage in a few weeks so at least it's progress.

Cal - good news that you won't have the hot weather for your marathon, 15 degrees is fine and I expect there'll be a breeze so temperature shouldn't be a problem.

Nick - 2:45 wow, but of course you're right basing a prediction on a mile time is not accurate, however you've already shown that you have good endurance so it's certainly possible at some time.   I think if you get sub 2:45 (one day) you qualify for the championship start at VLM :)

Sub 4:42 for the mile, that's a tough call, you must have some speedy runners in your club.

Ian - the weather has warmed up very quickly so you've had no time to get used to it.  But you will start to acclimatise which is good.
  • NickW2NickW2 ✭✭✭
    Shades - I think historically our club has always been more focused on participation, so there weren't lots of speedy runners at the club (though there have been some), but there seem to be a few about now. I think I did the 5th fastest time yesterday and there are 3 others I can think of who I would expect to be faster, around the 5 minute mark if not below it, who didn't come. There were at least 3 more behind me and under 5:30 as well. Having said that it was a very inclusive club event with 56 runners down to about 9-10 mins or slower at the back end, and when everyone finished they stuck around to cheer so the slowest runners got a great reception when they were finishing.

Maybe one day I will get near 2:45 haha, long way off at the moment. My next goal for the marathon would be to do a GFA time which is 3:05 for me (unless they change it). I'll try and fit in another marathon next year but not sure whether it will be spring or autumn, so focus is more on shorter stuff for now. Will go back to easy running only until my knee/foot issues disappear completely though.
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Shades, a couple of people did remind him but he wasn't convinced, so he asked if anyone wanted to do a couple more anyway and only 4 people put their hand up out of a large group.  Those 4 did the two more reps whilst the rest of the group watched :)  

Someone told me that Aldi were doing rucksacks that hold water bladders, so I bought one today. For City to Sea, runners need to carry a jacket, map and phone, and this bag has got space for that plus cash/keys etc. A friend has a bladder I can borrow, so I'm sorted if I do enter the race (which I expect I will....). 

I asked on the club's Facebook group and they all said road shoes are fine for the event, so the terrain itself can't be too bad either which is good. 
  • SlowkoalaSlowkoala ✭✭✭
    Wow Nick, I didn't see your post before for the mile, that's really speedy, well done!
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Big G-I've just bought a Kalenji trailbag from decathlon,got a water bladder and 2 chest water bottle holders,not sure how I'll adapt as never used one before but my long runs will be going down the wirral way and there's no shops there to pick up a drink.only £24 if it doesn't work out.
  • lily of the valleylily of the valley ✭✭✭
    edited May 2017
    Big G here are my medals on a towel rail!
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Thanks Ian.  This thing I've bought is actually for cycling, but as far as I can see it will be fine for running too (the straps are well padded, and adjustable, and it seemed to fit quite well).  It was cheap which was the deciding factor, as when I looked the cheapest of a decent size Camelbak was £35 which was a bit much as I doubt it'll get a whole lot of use.  I've been put off them in the past, as I didn't like the idea of water sloshing around, but I think I need something if I do this trail marathon in September.

I'm going to try it over the weekend and see how I get on.  It was only £15 for the bag (a friend is lending me the bladder initially, but I'll get my own off of eBay if I get on okay with it) but if it's no good, I'll just flog it ;)   However, if I get on okay with it, I'll sign up to the trail marathon I think.