Options

Shades Marathon Training

Comments

• Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2017
    Big G - I haven't done Barnstaple, on my 'to do' list, I did enter one year but was injured and DNS'd, but it clashes with Loch Ness.  Maybe next year as I probably won't be doing Loch Ness.

Sounds like the photo shoot was good fun, 90 minutes is quite a long time.  Might be the start of a new career ;)  I bet the guys loved a trip to Torquay.   And much better to keep a new pair of shoes than a bit of kit, they might turn out to be your perfect race shoe :)

Re the forum, I think changing the events section has been their biggest mistake and a lot of threads used to be linked to an event, hardly see any new threads re events.   I don't use the event section, it's so hard to get into past the adverts and the search facility is poor.   At least most of the spammers are gone, I haven't been offered a kitchen in Hull for months. :D   I'm now reluctantly having to use FB as that's how the Mavericks communicate, still hate FB though.

John - didn't realise there were any outdoor Velodromes, where is it?

Steve - every year the Anglo Plate is held as competition between the home nations for 50km and 100km, always a certified road course and usually a fast course so you can look out for that event, held in a different place each year.  The nations enter ultra teams so you'd be running with the elite but elite ultra runners are so friendly I've got to know quite a few of them over the years.   Also the Beyond the Limitations folk who organise the (rural) Gloucestershire marathon, Boddington and Cotswold events put on a 50km too, the RO used to coach the English ultra team and his events were often used for runners to qualify for European/World ultra events.  When I did Boddington marathon there was a 50km that day, they had to do 2 extra laps.

Ian - GPS watches always over measure on a track and it can be so disheartening.

Are you still 'deciding' about future ultras? ;)

Emmy - aren't you a RW mag subscriber then? ;)

Lovely rain this morning, very pleasant but was also quite humid and that was most noticeable when the rain stopped a couple of times, just checked with Met Office and humidity was 98% when I went out for my run :'(
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    SHADES said:
    Sounds like the photo shoot was good fun, 90 minutes is quite a long time.  Might be the start of a new career ;)  I bet the guys loved a trip to Torquay.   And much better to keep a new pair of shoes than a bit of kit, they might turn out to be your perfect race shoe :)
    Yeah, they loved it.  They were both in their late 20s, and the photographer was this typically cool, London chap - tattoos, beard, skinny-ripped jeans, cap on back to front.  He was saying that he reckoned all the locals were muttering "Bloody Londoners, coming down here with their weird clothes...".  :)  The assistant was a South African chap and both were really friendly and chatty.

We went to a bar for a drink and he asked for some fancy bottled beer that is probably readily available in London, but the staff looked at him like he had two heads.  It was really funny, but probably you had to be there.  After the beer, they went off to buy a pair of shorts to go for a dip in the sea, and then they went and got fish and chips before driving back.  He reckoned he took probably 3-400 photos......of which Runner's World will probably use 2 or 3!

I'm not a subscriber of the mag, but I'll be buying a copy when it's out ;)  
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Ha, ha, they'll be remembering Torquay for not having their favoured beer, we'll probably get that beer down here in a year's time :D
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Shades-I've decided I will be doing some more ultras,just not sure whether it will be next year or the year after.
    Rest day today as I've done 53 since last Thursday. 
  • Options
    E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    Shades - hahahahahahahahaa... umm... no. 

Big G - That sounds so funny! I bet they were a bit disappointed with the 'country' beerstyle!

I only managed 5k this morning as the dogs just werent having anymore :( So i'll see if i can get out tomorrow, even if it's alone just to get some more mileage in. I'm heading to my 2nd parkrun on Saturday hopefully in Andover. I'm quite looking forward to it!
  • Options
    1SteveMac1SteveMac ✭✭✭
    Big G - Glad the shoot went well.
    Shades - I'll keep an eye out for that then.

Easy 8 miles this morning, legs felt heavy though!
  • Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    When I used to visit my parents in Poole, I was always horrified at how early the shops shut. You can't just pop out for something at 7pm on a Saturday.

I have an official time for my mile now: 7:52. Yeah, I was the slowest Chaser. Don't care though. I wasn't the slowest overall - I was 307th out of 332. :sunglasses:
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Ian - great training mileage for you too this week.  Glad you've not been put off the ultras. :)

Emmy - have you got a marathon too this weekend?

Steve - I think the high humidity can give a run that 'heavy leg' feeling

Cal - brilliant, another couple of seconds off.   Doesn't matter that you were the slowest of your club, there were all those others that didn't even have a bash at it.

Fairly cool this morning and a little light rain on my return run was gratefully received as I ran up a tough long hill this morning, fabulous views as far as Dartmoor when I got up to the top :)

Both my iliotibial bands have had a touch of DOMS after a great session we had in Pilates on Tuesday, felt them today running down the long hill and I suspect we might have the same session in Pilates today so that will be tough.
  • Options
    1SteveMac1SteveMac ✭✭✭
    Cal - Those extra few seconds count and as Shades says doesn't matter if you were the slowest from your club. You gave it a go and smashed it out.
    Shades - Hope the IT bands don't give you too many issues at pilates.

Anyway 6 miles this morning with 2m at LT pace (6:23/6:13) my quickest 2 miles at LT pace during ultra training! Legs felt much better than yesterday, so maybe it was the humidity yesterday...not sure!
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Cal-Well done on your mile time,never raced a mile but there's 1 by me in August I might do.
    Shades -Hope the IT settles down.
    Tougher run today,Just 8 miles but felt harder than normal,still on track for my 200
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    edited July 2017
    Cal, well done on your time.  Racing a mile is tough I think (I've only done it in club training, so not in an official race), so it's a good time.  As has been said, it doesn't matter about your time in relation to others!

I have a good mate who moved to Torquay from London a few years ago.  He loves Torquay now, but still complains that he can't just pop out to get whatever he wants at whatever time he wants to.  Some of it is a bit strange - for example, he really fancied fish and chips from his favourite chippy at 2pm on a weekday, but of course they were closed.  He joked that they were closed for lunch :)    I'm making it sound like it's some "back and beyond" place, but it isn't really.  But yeah, it's definitely a different life compared to living in London (not that I've ever lived in London...).

I did 6-miles, including two quick miles at 7:18 and 7:10.  The other 4 were a lot slower.  I really enjoyed the run though and it felt like good conditions for running.  It's just 16 miles for the week so far but I may well do 3ish tomorrow, before driving up to MK for the race on Saturday.

I still don't know what to do about the race pace for Saturday.  Part of me feels that I'm in reasonably good shape, so why not give it a crack?  But another part of me thinks just take it easy as I have Gloucester the week after, and I do want to try and enjoy that one and I don't want to hobble around.  I expect I'll make my mind up more-or-less on the start line, depending on weather conditions etc.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Steve - that's speedy LT pace

Big G - good fish and chip shops still have short/odd opening hours around here and apparently that's because they just don't need to open any longer hours than they do already.
    I'm used to what it's like for shopping hours round here but always find it a shock when I go to the IOM and it can be hard to find a petrol station open latish evening, we're so used to petrol stations being more or less 24 hours.  It used to be hard to find somewhere to eat on a Sunday evening in the IOM as everywhere seemed to be shut.

Re your marathon this weekend, I agree, wait and see how you feel on the day and how the weather is.

As I expected we had a similar Pilates class today my ITBs are trashed now, great work out though, she recommended the same series of stretches for knee strengthening so I must remember that if I need it.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Marathon List

13th March
    Enigma - Milton Keynes
    Big G - PB 3:54:17   

2nd April
    Manchester
    Cal - PB 4:29:29
    Ian5 -  4:29
    Steve -  PB 3:10:15
    NickW2 - PB 3:24:59
    Taunton
    Shades DNS

9th April
    Paris
    SuzSaville82 - PB 4:26
    Rotterdam
    Emmy 4:42
    Brighton
    Louey  - 4:24:45

23rd April
    London
    Big G - 4:00:59
    Iain Love - 2:57:49
    Slowkoala - 3:12:43
    Southampton
    Jugula - 4:21

29th April
    Plym Trail
    Big G - 4:29
    Shades - 5:01

1st May
    Belfast
    Shades DNS

7th May
    Great Welsh
    Shades - 4:44:12

13th May
    Marathon de Blaye 
    mamafox - 3:40 - 3rd place and she did win the wine

14th May
    Hereford
    Shades - 4:45:59

21st May
    Worcester
    Shades - 4:53:46
    Leiden
    Big G - 3:54:25
    Emmy - 4:42:59 (including beer stops)

27th May
    Saturday Night
    Iain - 3:20:45 Winner   

28th May
    Liverpool
    Cal - 4:37:52
    Dorchester
    Shades - 4:56:16

3rd June
    Dartmoor Discovery
    Shades  - PB 6:32:17

11th June
    Yeovil Marathon
    Shades - 5:13

15th June
    Dorney Lake 6 Hour
    Shades - 5:29:59  B

17th June
    Poppyline Marathon
    mowzer - DNS

18th June
    Enigma Clueless
    Big G - 5:09:58 B

24th June
    Giantshead
    Emmy - 5:56

24th/25th June
    Harp 24
    mowzer - 28 miles

25th June
    Boddington Marathon
    Shades - 4:59:57

2nd July
    Wirral Ultra
    Ian5 - PB 7:01

9th July
    LDWA From Here to There
    mowzer 9:06

15th July
    Chiltern Challenge 50km
    Steve - PB 5:06

23rd July
    Ironman Marathon
    Iain - 3:29:54

30th July
    Enigma?
    Big G

6th August
    Gloucester
    Big G
    Shades

12th August
    SVP 100km
    Steve

13th August
    mowzer

Isle of Man
    Shades

20th August
    Bath 2 Tunnels 50km
    Shades

• Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Shades, as a matter of interest, are you staying somewhere for the Bath 2 Tunnels?  I had a brief look at the marathon but couldn't find reasonably-priced accommodation, close to the start with parking.  I also looked for places near the park and ride but there wasn't much.  I only had a look at it earlier this week though, so maybe I missed the best prices/availability though.
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    My Reeboks have just turned up, and they're beauts in terms of colour/style.  They fit fine in the length and the width, but the edge of the shoe that touches near the inside ankle is higher than I'm used to, so I'm not sure if I'm going to keep them at the moment.  I've got 100 days to make my mind, so I may walk around for a bit inside the house to see if I get used to them or not, but if not I'll send them back.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - have you entered another marathon? ;)    Last year I stayed at Glastonbury Premier, got a reasonable price and it's not too far a drive, at the time I entered they were going to have a 100km race too and because of that the start time of the 100k and the 50k it was very early and there was designated parking for the ultra runners only.   The 100km was cancelled due to lack of entries and the start time for the 50km was changed but still too early for the Park and Ride so we had parking about 5-10 mins walk to the venue for 50km runners only.

This year I couldn't find any decent priced accommodation, Bath is outrageously expensive and after several searches reluctantly decided to drive up on the day

At the moment race info says that 50km runners have to use the park and ride this year, I guess they start the service earlier because of the events, but final race details aren't out yet.  If we do use the park and ride the bus for the 50km runners leaves at 7:15.

So you haven't missed the best prices, they were that expensive when I entered on Jan 1st.
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Shades, no I haven't entered Bath Two Tunnels :smile:  I was looking at it earlier in the week as it sounds really good, but I was put off by the expensive accommodation so discounted it this year.  I don't really want to enter any more now until I get through the next couple at least, in case of injury etc.  I didn't really want to enter Barnstaple for that reason, but had to as places are running out - there is a deferral system at Barnstaple though I think, so that's not too bad.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Which Reeboks have you got?   They might be fine when you run in them.

I was reading some shoe reviews yesterday and now I have another list of shoes that I might like to try :D 

I believe the Bath 2 Tunnels marathon is quite tough, as it goes off the nice smooth path/trail that my 50km is on, but it's popular so can't be that bad!   It's annoying about the accommodation being so pricey, I'm sure that must put a lot of runners off.

• Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭

Shades, they're called Reebok ZPrint 3D.  Strange name, but they got good reviews and they're lightweight, which is why I thought I'd try them.

The grip on them looks really good too.

• Options
    Big G - I like the look of those trainers. I may try a different make for my next pair. The last 4 pairs I've bought are the latest versions of the Nike Pegasus range. They were the first pair of decent trainers I bought when I started running. I remember putting them on in the running shop and thinking they felt like slippers.  

5 miles recovery today. Really enjoyed run. Lovely sunshine and saw a Red Kite flying within 100 feet of me. 2 days of rest now before my longest ever run 16 miles on Sunday. My plan is to get out at about 7am but won't have time for breakfast so I'm hoping this doesn't make the run tougher. Think I'll take 2 or 3 gels with me.  Do any of you guys take gels on your longer runs ? I'm also taking a running bottle of water for these longer runs. 
  • Options
    E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    Big G - they look awesome! Love the colour
    Shades - Nope. Wedding this weekend. I was hoping to fit in a marathon but it's not worked out due to travelling :(

I managed a nice little 7k to keep my legs ticking over but i'm becoming aware that i need to put some mileage in :(
  • Options
    mamafoxmamafox ✭✭✭
    Hi everyone, just in recovery from smallest child's birthday party so have skimmed through thread, sorry I can't comment on everyone.

Iain - A massive well done on your marathon leg of the iron man event. That waiting around must have been torture.

John - Welcome to the thread. Have absolutely no advice to offer other than hang around here and do exactly what Shades says. Personnally I don't take any gels/sweets on long training runs but I do for the marathon on the day.

Cal - Well done on your mile time. I've managed to avoid doing one of those thank goodness (bit like the dreaded park run).

On a shop opening note, any Londoner would have a fit coming round here. Everything closes Sundays,weekdays by 7pm and especially between 12 and 2pm. I mean we're talking tumbleweeds at lunchtimes.

Big G - It sounds as if your interview went well. It must have made all the difference in the world to have two people who set you at ease and with whom you obviously got along well. I'll try and get someone to send me out a copy of that RW once you confirm which issue it's in.

That's great news that you're doing Barcelona. I really enjoyed that marathon and it really is a fabulous course.. you see loads. And of course all those wonderful tapas to refuel on!

On a thread note, the main difference I find here is that I can't have a look at the "Hot threads" list which used to appear alongside whichever thread you were reading. It was extremely rare that I'd post on another thread but I'd often see something that looked interesting so have a quick look. Now it seems much more of an effort to scroll through different threads/discussions so I don't bother, which is a shame really.

Emmy - +1 on needing to build mileage up. I'm still stuck on 24k as my weekly long run.

Shades - That Pilates sounds tough.. how is your knee bearing up?

Having just re read my last post I would just like to point out that I don't actually leave the 6yo on his own in the house in front of cartoons when I run. His brothers/sister are also in the house but don't surface until later. Smallest child knows in event of an emergency (Needs to change tv channel etc) that his siblings are around.
    Just thought I'd clear that up!

My long run stuck at 24k again last Sunday but I'm actually ok with that as I didn't feel like going out at all and in the end it went much better than the last time I did that run. I then had 3 days off for a variety of reasons before a sluggish 15k this morning. We're off to the coast for a week Saturday and I love running over there so I'm hoping that the change of running scenery will give me a bit of motivation to get some consistent decent mileage going again.

• Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2017
    Big G - your shoes are a lovely shade of blue, if you like them a real bargain.  Shoes have really changed a lot in the last couple of years.

John - I'm not suggesting you change from your favourite shoes but to avoid injury you shouldn't run in the same model of shoe for every training run but have a different pair to alternate with your Pegasus.  Use your favoured shoes for long runs and races.  

I have 12 different shoes that I train in, but I'm an anorak when it comes to shoes and keep a spreadsheet on their mileage too  :D

Get up earlier on Sunday and eat before your run, you didn't have a great long run last time and this is not the time to try and do a long run fasted.   Banana and a cereal bar if you need something in snack form should do and you shouldn't need to leave too long between eating and setting our on your run as you'll be running at long run pace.  Yes, take water too.  I would suggest gels or sweets for long runs over 15 miles so take at least 2 gels with you, one to use and one for emergency in case you have an energy slump.

Emmy - never mind, I just thought that you usually combine a visit to the UK with a marathon :)

mamafox - I'll send you my copy of RW after I've read it, it should be out in a month's time as I had a delivery this week.

My knee seems fine, back doing my squats again this week, maybe those Pilates exercises helped.

I don't think we even considered that you were leaving your son in front of the telly on his own when you went running.   I take it the party went well as you are needing recovery time.

You still have plenty of time for longer runs and hopefully the weather will be a bit cooler for long runs then.
    Have a lovely holiday.

Quite dark this morning, dry where I live but ran down Big G's way and they've had rain there and must have been heavy as lots of slugs and snails on the pavements.
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    John-I take a couple of gels on my long runs,but only incase I am struggling,ideally I don't use them,but I always have breakfast,I know some people choose not to but anything over 10 I struggle if I haven't eaten.
    Big G-Nice shoes,hope you get on well with them.
    Mama-24k is a great base to work from for when you start real training.
    Hills today :neutral: 6 miles completed with 400 ft of climb,I did this route 4 times previously and this was my 2nd best time,thought I may have been slightly quicker but not to be.
    Not doing the 10k on Sunday as couple of friends are coming up so meeting them instead,does mean I can do 10 miles before I meet them and get my 200 in by Monday.
  • Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Great running everyone!

Big G - nice colour. I hope they work out for you.
    I've heard of the Two Tunnels - I'm rather interested as to how the tunnels would affect everyone's watches. I'm guessing they wouldn't work too well.

John - I do the vast majority of my runs fasted (even did Manchester Marathon without breakfast) but I'm used to it. It may be easier for women, on the whole, as we're better able to utilise our fat stores during exercise. I do use gels on longer runs (18 miles plus) but mostly to practise for marathons. I would suggest trying shorter fasted runs to see how you go before attempting anything longer. As Shades says, get up earlier and have something simple. I've found, through trial and error, that I can tolerate eating sweet rice cakes (I like Kallo blueberry and vanilla flavour) with no topping up to two hours before running, but I absolutely cannot eat anything containing fat or protein because it takes me forever to digest.

mamafox - you know, being as old as I am, I certainly remember when it was like that in London. Nothing open on Sunday except for newsagents, and Thursday was the only day shops opened during the evening. Everyone did their weekly shop on a Saturday.

4 miles easy for me today. I felt tired even though I didn't run yesterday (though I did 90 mins of Vinyasa yoga at 6.30am and then a little walking when I went to meet a friend for lunch in Covent Garden). I'm going to put that down to not getting enough sleep this week. I will make more effort to go to bed earlier today, I think.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Ian - you're loving those hilly runs, there is more of a sense of achievement when there's a hill or two :)

Never  mind about the 10k, not important to your training and you'll get over that 200 miles :D

Cal - GPS watches won't work as the tunnels are too long, I turned off the GPS before I started the event.   There are 2 tunnels, which for the 50km we go through several times, the longest is over a mile long.

It's cooler here now for sleeping, hope it's the same for you too.

Must dash, off to meet a friend for coffee and cake :)
  • Options
    mowzermowzer ✭✭✭
    Iain - that was a really eventful event. Well done on your run. :)

Big G - looking forward to seeing the article and the photos.

Hi John ((waves))

Shades - I am still a bit tired, but not a fraction of what I was when I was drinking coffee. I guess caffeine doesn't work for me!
    Hope you rescued those slugs and snails  ;)
  • Options
    mamafoxmamafox ✭✭✭
    Ian -I thought you'd be finding those 3 extra miles somewhere to make your 200  :p

Cal - That is very early to do a very long yoga class! Lunch in Covent Garden sounds very chic, am well jealous.
    I've got used to the restricted opening hours here now but the lunchtimes ones do get on my nerves, especially when they go on until past 3pm. The only places that are open pretty much all the time are bakeries, as if you have no bread over here at mealtimes then that is classed as a disaster of epic proportions.

Shades - Thank you very much for the offer of sending me your RW, that would be lovely.
    Yes, the party went well. We hired a bouncy castle which all the kids loved, the parents stayed on for an aperitif afterwards and Mr Fox put his music on. He used to do some DJ ing when he was young and cool and still has an impressive selection of speakers etc. I forbid him to get the microphones out as I think it's cheesy but the rest is great. Brother in law is a big fan of ACDC so we had that blasting out until the early hours. Good job we haven't got any neighbours.
    Enjoy your coffee and cake!

I've got loads to do as need to organise packing etc for tomorrow so I started off the day by a very enjoyable 10k this morning, sorted lunch out and now I'm writing this. Have organised running kit that I'm taking but must get on with the rest now!

Good running everyone, will catch up next week.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    mowzer - glad to hear you're not feeling so tired now.

Far too many slugs and snails to rescue, I never do anyway as it's natures way of serving up breakfast for the birds :/  

mamafox - so it wasn't just the 6 year olds that wore you out, more like the aperitif and head banging to ACDC :D
    Enjoy your holiday.

Good luck to Big G today at a lake near Milton Keynes and all racing this weekend.

Waiting for the usual 7 o'clock booking frenzy for the Pilates class
  • Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    mowzer, I can have a coffee and fall asleep right after. I rather wish it did wake me up, but it doesn't. But I like it so I drink it anyway.

Another hum-drum parkrun - 27:49. I was thinking about doing a 10K in August since there's one not far away that I haven't done before but I think I'd be disappointed with myself again. I had a look at last year's parkrun stats and while I did slow down a bit during the summer (no PBs between June and September), I was still running sub-27 most times. Blah. I'm going to try a different parkrun next weekend - mostly out of necessity as a folk festival on the common has meant the cancellation of my local one. But it might be nice to have a change of scene.