Shades Marathon Training

Comments

• Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Big G-Great 5k pace,I've seen we have a summer series of 5k's along the front,only 1 left so may give it a bash.
    Cal-Im considering Liverpool next year,bit daft not to when I can see the finish from across the Mersey.
    Loving that guys 4% improvement in his time  :D 
    Just a 3.5 mile sprint for me today as I only had 5 hours sleep and 2 long days and didnt have much time,it actually felt decent and pace was 1 min under 10k pb pace. 
    My friends have thrown a curveball my way,they want to come up again the day before Chester so don't know what to do as we only get together about 4 times a year due to our work schedules,might aim for Lancaster now but it's 3 weeks earlier so less training. 
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2017
    Big G - yes, you're right, definitely need a good warm up for all shorter races as it takes quite a while in a race to hit that 'zone' , and the shorter the race the quicker you need to be at that point.

Technically then Tuesday's race is your 5k race PB :)  so you're in better shape than you thought.

How many marathons are you planning to do for the rest of this year?   And 2018?

Cal - 20th May is no good for me, I'm at Worcester that day, never mind I'll put it on 'the list' for sometime in the future.

Emmy - I've still not had a reply about removing my connection with UKA/100MC on RunBritain  website, I'll drop them a choice email soon :D

Yes, the Dutch used to join the UK club but then set up their own.  If not there's the German club or the Irish club, all would welcome you.   I probably won't renew my Irish membership next year, but that's only because I don't go to Ireland so often, only a couple of times a year now, and I like racing as a Mavericks.

Had a lovely run this morning, it's a bit humid.  But I finished the run with a bit of sore throat, was fine before I started.  :/
  • Big G - Definately need a warm up for the shorter stuff. I'll usually do about a mile warm up then some strides before a HM or shorter distance race. Before Manchester marathon I had a short jog/leg stretch, but that was just to get the legs moving while I waited for the start, but that's the first time I've done that before a marathon. Congrats on the PB too!

Sports massage last night, not as painful as the previous one, just some knots in the calves that were a bit painful!
  • Hmph, why do I keep getting massive spaces under my posts? Grr!
    Shades, could the throat be down to pollen or some agri chemical maybe?
    Ian - 5 hours sounds about normal for me. I rarely sleep more than 6 hours a night, and never in one stretch. I do find it amazingly easy to fall asleep during the afternoon, though... Anyway, see you in Liverpool, hopefully!

Gorgeous morning here - once again clear and bright but not too warm. I did 6 relaxed and easy miles and a few playground exercises to top it off.
    In other news... if you thought my decision to enter Maidenhead was quick, I decided this morning to enter a 10K that's tomorrow. It's the usual Battersea one. My parkrun is cancelled this week (some folk festival on the common) so I was looking at alternatives and everything is a bit of a faff to get to. I wanted to avoid Brockwell, the next nearest, since running up and down its hills at 5K pace is not likely to do my cranky bits and pieces and good at all. The next easiest is Crystal Palace (a fairly short train journey with no changes) has even worse hills. The rest all seem to involve longer train/tube journeys with changes and in most cases, a bit of a walk. So I checked Runthrough, found there was a Battersea Race tomorrow, and entered. Not expecting a PB but I think a time around 55 would be a good result for me.
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Ian, that race I did was the fifth one of a six race series.  Give it a crack if you're able to - they're great fun.  The one I did was really flat, which helped me too in terms of getting into a rhythm, and there was hardly any wind on the day so great conditions for me.

Shades, hopefully nothing comes of the sore throat.

Steve, yeah I warm up for Halfs and under too.  For my 5K it was a pretty "intense" warmup really, with jogging, strides, sprinting, and lots of "funny running" (bum flicks, knee raises, etc).

Shades, regarding marathons, this year I've got 6 more booked including Gloucester.  As well as those, I do have six more pencilled in this year but not booked, and they'll just depend on how I'm feeling.  If I end up managing to complete the 6 I've booked I'll genuinely be happy though as that will then be 12 for the year.  Regarding next year I've none booked currently but lots in mind - all being well I'll try and do 12+ if I can, maybe even something like 20.  But we'll just have to see how I get on.  Also, at some point, I have a double in mind but again nothing booked - if I do one, it'll probably be one of Davey's as they're easy to get to, and I can decide late as they don't tend to sell out.  

I'm a bit nervous about talking about numbers/plans as if I end up injuring myself it's obviously game over and I don't really want to be held to my plans if things go wrong, but I suppose that's the same for all marathoners!

I know we're discussed this before, but although I'm currently enjoying doing the marathons, the big downside for me is that I can't do as much running in between them as I'm too tired.  I'm still not sure if it's possible to get that big PB I think I'm capable of (3:30) doing so many events.  This week I've only done 17 miles for example; I'm taking another rest day today, I'll do a short run tomorrow, and then it's the marathon the day after.  Also, that decent (for me) 5K I did the other day started me looking into good 5K plans, but they don't really fit with marathon running due to tiredness etc, but maybe there's a balance to be struck.  Similarly with Halfs - if anyone asks me, the Half is probably the distance I most enjoy as I think it's a long distance, but I also feel I can properly "race" them when I'm in decent shape.  But I'm way off my Half PB, so again maybe there's a balance to be struck with the marathons, but I haven't quite found it yet!
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Cal, cross post there.  Good luck with the 10K tomorrow!
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Cal-I use to struggle with sleep,but always try for at least 8 hours a night as I feel so much better the day after for it.I was also looking for a race soon so may do a 10 miler in Preston next weekend,never done that distance so PB time.
    Big G-It sounds daft but I am also thinking I will be capable of 3:30ish some time next year,hoping to shift another 7lbs by then and keep up the distance and see where I go.
    Maybe you should target your first HM and marathon for your PB's next year,if you're not racing over the winter too much then you can get some quality training in.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Cal - the spaces after posts are something to do with the adverts, maybe they're not placed/posted on website right?

No agri-chemicals here, this is Devon, very little arable farming, mostly cows and sheep :)  and I never react to any pollens.    Unfortunately, I think I might be getting a cold, just been shopping and felt a bit sniffy all the way round the supermarkets.   Fingers crossed that it will come to nothing.

Good luck with the 10km tomorrow!   I take it the races aren't filling up like they used to?

Ian - Lancaster is supposed to be a flat fast course and you have all that ultra training in the bank, easy for you to switch races.   Only negative is that it could be a bit warmer for Lancaster but should be OK really in September.

Enter that 10 miler, a good sharpener and indicator to how your marathon training is going and a guaranteed PB.

Big G - 20 in a year, there is no hope for you now :D   But there will always be injuries/illnesses you can't not enter just in case and many races do fill up now.   Re doubles, it's much easier to do two different events, really makes for a better performance on Day 2.  One of my best doubles was done with a lot of travelling to the 2nd race, North Dorset/Belfast

12 more this year is more than I have planned!  I have 11 left this year.
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Ha ha - we'll see about the 20!  I have to get the next few done first ;)   Part of the reason I'm not booking loads up in advance is a) because of cost if I DNS and b) I don't know if I'll get too tired and have to DNS because of that.  I'll just do them if I feel I can, with the main aim of enjoying them.  For some of the ones I've entered I have had to as they do sell out, so I'll be very happy if I get those six completed this year, and if I do any more that will be a bonus I think.
  • Shades / Big G - How many marathons!! Next year I think I'm doing one marathon and one ultra, then some shorter stuff.

Big G - Interesting about your favourite distance, I too prefer a half marathon, unlike the marathon they are over sooner, but last a decent time unlike a balls to the wall 5k!!

Ian / Big G - I think you both have a 3:30 in you based on your HM times.
    Ian -  your ultra training will pay dividends over the marathon distance.
    Big G - I think you can still hit your target time, but would maybe need to target just one race and train specifically for that, then run your other marathons off the back of that fitness.
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Big G-I mentioned a few days ago you'll be recalling shades,looks like i was right  :D
    Shades-Im just entered the 10 miler,looking forward to it as not had a real race for a while.
    I have had an interesting email today,off a charity I've raised money for in the past,they originally said £500 for a £1 entry into Berlin which I don't think I could raise,they mustn't have got rid of all their places as they have said they will accept 200 of I can raise that and I should be able to,and is happily pay the difference so there's an option.Off tomorrow so will look at flights etc then.
  • Ah, I'm currently a subscriber so I don't see the ads. And well, I also have an ad blocker.
    That's a lot of marathons, Big G. I must admit that's the same thing I hate about marathons - the fact you need to recover from them. Going by that 5K, you seem to be doing better at it than me. Last year, when I just did Manchester, I was knocking out parkrun PBs a month later and a 10K PB 6 or 7 weeks after the marathon. This year, because I did two, my performance has really suffered. I guess I'll know where I am on that score tomorrow.
    What I am interested in, when it comes to people who do a lot of marathons, is whether you ever get to a point where running the whole way isn't too hard. I've only managed it in one out of three and it was still as hard as hell.
  • Cal - I think if you slow down enough and have enough fitness it's not hard to run a marathon. I can only say this from my experience though as I've run a few marathon (and above) distance training runs, but am no where near my PB when I run them. I ran just under sub 4 in those training runs, but that's a good 50 minutes (2 min/mile) slower than my PB.

However trying to PB in a marathon is always (imo) going to hurt at some point!!
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    edited August 2017
    Cal, a couple of things that I would say are that a sizeable number of people who do multiple marathons do not "race" them all.  Some seem to race them, like Adam Holland or Steve Edwards.  Adam just did 10 marathons in 10 days, all under sub-3, for example.  And Steve has done hundreds of marathons and has some record for the most under 3:20 I think it is.  But many "normal" runners take them fairly easy I'd say, as they know they've got one the next day, or the week later, etc.  Don't know if Shades would agree with that, or not as I think Shades tends to race all hers?  But from what I've seen of a lot of the people who do many in a year, they're not racing them.

As Steve said, and I suppose carrying on from the above, it's therefore a lot about pace and capability on the day.  When I did Leiden I ran all the way (albeit the chafing I had in the final 5K or so slowed me down), but I started off pretty steady on that one, and if anything sped up a bit in later sections of the race.  Whereas the one I did last weekend I slowed a lot and had to walk large sections of it, at least partly due to that illness I had.  I suppose if I'd accounted for the fact I had been ill and took it much steadier to begin with, I may have had a better finish time overall?  Don't know.

I haven't answered your question really, but I think it's to do with pacing and understanding the distance a bit more, so knowing whether to ease off or push on.

--

Talking of records, has anyone seen all the fuss about that young woman who is trying to hassle Guinness World Records for a treadmill record (520 miles in 7 days)?  Guinness are saying that they can't accept the record, as there was an issue with the witnesses for the event, one of who was her boyfriend, and their rules are there for anyone to see in advance.  I think if she'd taken it on the chin it would have all died away, but there is some #JusticeForAmy campaign which is just awful.  Justice?  From Guinness?  Anyway, it seems she didn't follow their rules for a record, but last week was in the papers and on the TV/Radio asking for "Justice".  Unfortunately for her and her boyfriend the guys over on LetsRun have got hold of it (like they did with Rob Young last year) and are going into everything to do with her runs (she did the 53 in 53 the other year, and they're looking into that too), her charity (asking questions about where the money has gone), her boyfriend, etc etc.  The media storm she's started over it all against Guinness is the thing that I think has narked a lot of people.  It was worthy of a bag of popcorn the other day, as her boyfriend came on and stated a massive rant about it all.  Lets see if she gets Guinness to change their minds....!
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Ian5 - that seems a really good offer for Berlin depending on the flight prices.   Berlin is ballot now, when I did it a few years ago with Emmy the entries opened at a certain time and so many places were released at the lowest price then the next tranche were at a increased price and so on.  We all sat poised at the right time and all got in, had to do mine at work, deferred a meeting for 10 minutes to do so :)  As you know a brilliant PB course although I found it too crowded for me, but not as crowded as London and it's a nice route for a city marathon.

Great news on the 10 miler.

Cal - I'm a subscriber but still see the ads, but I don't have an ad blocker.

As you do more marathons the recovery improves a lot.  Careful timing of your shorter races should ensure that the marathons don't stop your chances of PB's.

Big G - yes, you're absolutely right a majority of multiple marathons don't race their events at all and a lot of them don't bother to train either.  Adam and Steve and quite a few others will always do their best on the day.   I always try to do my best on the day but if conditions or an injury are impeding my planned race I will ease up then and just focus on a finish with no further damage.    I estimate from my training times what time I can finish a marathon in and I will usually finish within 5 or 10 minutes of that target time.

No hadn't seen that fuss about the 53 in 53 record.   I'm not sure why folk are so bothered about having their 'world record' publicised as a Guinness World Record, it's not cheap to do so and they are clear on the criteria of having the record witnessed so you must put in place the evidence they require.  I thought she'd have problems as she wasn't doing all official events.   But what's the point of all the fuss and expense, someone will do more very soon.  But if the charity funds have gone missing then she should be shot!

Now back to booking marathons and the possibility of having to DNS, I have woken this morning with a full blown cold so I am a DNS for Gloucester :'(   Anyway this DNS has only cost me £30, early bird entry.  My hotel I cancelled last week as a friend gave me his saver Travelodge room (he's injured) and didn't want any money for it.  I emailed him last night and he's got another friend he can pass it onto.

I missed Gloucester last year, I think that was due to a cold too.   So sofa, echinacea, box of tissues for me this weekend, at least I can console myself with the World Athletics on telly, I think the marathons are on tomorrow.    

• Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Shades, sorry to hear about the DNS for tomorrow :(  Like you say, at least you can watch the athletics.  I watched Mo and Bolt last night, which was good, especially Mo's race.

RK does hardly any running at all between his marathons.  I can see why as he must be really tired a lot of the time.

The 53in53 lady has done another challenge where she has claimed she ran 520 miles on a treadmill in 7-days, and Guinness have turned that one down.  It's this challenge that she's started some media campaign for "justice", and that got the LetsRun lot involved, especially as that is an elite-level performance....  I'm not sure if there's anything dubious in the charity aspect, but the LetsRun lot will more than likely look into it, just in case.

Cal, I have an adblocker and don't see any ads on my PC, but see whitespace for the first post on each new page.

I was meaning to have a rest day yesterday, but by the time 6pm came around, I was feeling a bit "twitchy" and thought a run would be good.  So I did 12x45secs off of 45secs recovery, so with warmup and cool down just under 3-miles.  I didn't run the reps flat out at all, but it was nice to turn the legs over.  I'll be doing parkrun this morning at a slow pace, although I expect I'll do the middle mile at MP, which is a session I like to do the day before a marathon.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - I watched the athletics last night too, Mo had to work hard but he did it, great running.   Good to see all the Brits qualify in the women's 1500m races too.  Enjoyed seeing Gatlin being booed by the crowd, the Brits know their athletics.

I've just checked and both men's and women's marathons are on tomorrow, that's unusual, they're usually first thing on each Sunday of the championship.   Tomorrow the men's race is in the morning and the women's in the afternoon.

Re the treadmill challenge, surely she videoed the whole thing and had the treadmill checked periodically by her witness.  I haven't heard anything about this challenge, which means it's been ignored by the ultra fraternity.

Good luck for Gloucester tomorrow, I was looking forward to this race as it's supposed to be a nice route.   But next week I have IOM which is always a special one for me so must get well for that.

I know where I got my cold, some silly cow turned up the Yin Yoga with a streaming cold and then spluttered her way through the class.   I've no objection to folk going about their daily work/life with a cold but you don't go to a gym/swimming pool/exercise class when you are still infectious.
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    edited August 2017
    Shades, I have to say when I saw Mo showboating a bit, I thought he may have faced an embarrassment, but he knew what he had to do.  I really like Paula but I did chuckle when she said something like "the Kenyans are surging, but they keep slowing down.  They shouldn't slow down if they want to beat Mo".  I couldn't help thinking "Hmmm, maybe they can't keep up that pace!".

I did the parkrun, and it was a nice run.  I stuck to my plan, although the middle mile was quicker than MP, but I felt okay.

I made a rhubarb crumble last night and had some for pud, and then some for breakfast this morning.  Carb loading  B)

Travelling up to Gloucester soon to collect my number and have a walk around the Cathedral.  Looking forward to it all, having never been to Gloucester before.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - a lot of pressure on Mo, hope he can relax a bit for the 5km, he's done what he needed to do so hope he enjoys the 5km.   I get the impression he is very keen to switch to the marathon, wonder which one he will run next, maybe NY?

Rhubarb crumble, lovely and great carbo loading.   I haven't lost my appetite with my cold, I might go out tomorrow early for a walk and pick some blackberries for a crumble.

I spent a few hours in Gloucester a few years ago, really liked it.
  • Now you have me craving rhubarb, Big G. (I do have a rhubarb and custard flavour protein powder, though!). I will need to get up to Tooting Common and pick blackberries too, before everyone else does!

Sorry about the cold and DNS, Shades. That sucks. The lady was a selfish cow for going to yoga with it.

Did my 10K. It was quite warm (around 18 degrees) but most of the circuit is shady so it wasn't too bad. I had decided to try and run at HM pace and managed it. For one mile. And then I got slower. I finished in 55:48, which isn't terrible, but I did the exact same race in January two minutes faster (admittedly it was 1 degree that day, but it was also a little slippery in places which made it more challenging). And I did 53:35 last Autumn. I seem to be unable to maintain paces I found fairly easy 6 months ago and I'm not sure why. I think it may be hormone related - I'm obviously perimenopausal and my cycle is very short. I could be low on iron, possibly. Sleep is crappy too. Either way, I'll be hard pressed to get under two hours at Maidenhead.
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Shades-Unlucky on the DNS,hope you get better for next week,hopefully a week should be long enough to recover.
    Big G-Have a good time and race in Gloucester.
    Cal-Pity about the 10k,may be time to have rest from racing soon and just do nice slow runs to get yourself going again.
    Had a 10 mile run yesterday before work which went well,felt really comfortable and enjoyable,then completed 18.5 today.This felt tougher than normal,maybe as a result of 2x50 mile weeks which I've never done back to back before.
    Overall though really happy with how it's been going the last few weeks.
  • E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    Big G - Yes, I saw the kerfuffle about Amy. I think that she should have read the rules and only has herself to blame unfortunately. It was a rookie mistake, especially after having the first record dismissed too. I dont agree with the whole letsrun thing and lynch mob but there are some serious questions being raised.

Shades - Sorry to hear about your DNS :( Rhubarb crumble sounds lovely.

I think the 10k from Mo last night was a real struggle for him. He'll have to do a lot to make the 5k win.

Ian5 - that's some solid training!

• The girl who won the 10K tonight was amazing. Shame about Bolt, but hey. Not like he had anything to prove.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2017
    Cal - well done Cal, a good race result. 

Sorry but rhubarb and custard protein powder sounds disgusting. :#

Ian - I find if I don't run at the early stages of a cold, the feverish part, it usually stays in my head and I should be OK to race in about 5/6 days.  IOM is always a special race for me.

Take a step back week if you are starting to feel tired with the training.

Emmy - I haven't had any crumble yet, that was Big G eating it for breakfast.

I didn't see Bolt's run, there's too much talking and endless repeats of races and endless footage which is repeated even in the same broadcast that I can't watch the athletics live.   So I record them and then play back skipping through all the crap, will watch it this morning.   The 100m sprints is one of my least favourite events.  Shame that Gatlin won it but Bolt knew it was going to be a tough task, even though it would have been storybook.   Maybe he should have done the 200m which I find a more interesting race.

Good luck Big G and anyone else racing today.

Had a rough night's sleep for the first half of the night, feeling feverish with my cold but 2nd half of the night I slept well and feel a lot better this morning.    Will go out for a walk and get some blackberries this morning, I have crumble on my mind. :)

• SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Just remembered to cancel my Yogalates class for tomorrow morning so I'm not the one spreading the germs o:)

The whole of the men's marathon is on BBC red button this morning at 11am for those interested, can't see that they're showing the whole of the women's exclusively.
  • Rhubarb and custard protein powder is actually nice. It's my go to flavour. I use MyProtein - have done for years - and they do an interesting range of flavours. Some are a bit hit and miss but you can buy sample packets so you don't end up with a massive bag of something you don't like.

A  beautiful day for a run - clear and sunny but also fresh (12 degrees or so to start with - I went out at 6.30am). Hands were even a bit cold to start with. I did 13 miles over a route that went from Tooting Common to Clapham Common, then Wandsworth Common and back to Tooting again. A much flatter route than Brockwell (about half the elevation gain) and with more opportunity to run on softer surfaces. I explored a new part of Wandsworth Common I hadn't been through before and headed down a path that unexpectedly ended in some steps (legs were not pleased!)
    Aside from my usually sedate warm-up mile, the slowest mile was 9 (11:08) - the one with the steps - and the one after was only just under 11 but I was running through the unfamiliar bit of the common that turned out to be woods with a lot of tree roots. Most of the other miles were in the 10:30s and 40s. But I did a relatively quick final mile of 10:08. It was a slightly downhill mile and by that point, I wanted the run over with. :grin:
    I feel happy enough with this run, especially as it a) comes the day after a 10K and b) ends a 40 mile week - my longest since training for Manchester.
    My endurance seems fine, for the most part - I'm just lacking speed. My legs wouldn't cooperate after the halfway point of the 10K, so I'm wondering if this is a lactate thing? Any ideas? I was exhausted enough to need a lie down after I got back and ate, although I felt better after doing a Vinyasa class at 5pm. Got through that without too many issues, even though it's a strenuous class.
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    edited August 2017
    Perfect conditions today, and I managed a 3:58.  Happy with that, although I was on for a quicker time, but had a stomach issue and then a dizzy spell, both where I had to walk.  I finished strong though, so I'm pleased enough, especially after last week's 4:35.

It is a nice course, but I have to say I didn't love the organisation.  They ran out of water at the first two "proper" stations (i.e. after the Half runners pealed off).  If it hadn't been for some very kind people in houses giving out water, I'd have been in trouble I think.  Also, their "baggage area" was in the open, so if it had been raining there would have been a lot of wet bags!

Gloucester itself is lovely though, and all-in-all I'd do this one again I think.  I thought of you though Shades, as some of it was off road (not "bad", but across fields...maybe 1-mile in total?), including a kind of steep, wooden bridge down a slope.  If that had been wet, I think it could have got "interesting"!
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Shades-Im not feeling to bad but will probably drop back a little to play safe.Glad you're feeling a bit better.
    Cal-Very good training week with a race in there aswell.
    Big G-Thats a great time a week after another marathon.
  • Excellent result, Big G! You're on fire at the moment.
  • mowzermowzer ✭✭✭
    Well done Big G - that's a great time  :) I did Gloucester last year and it was all road (as far as my memory goes - certainly didn't go down steps), perhaps they changed the course for some reason?

Shades - sorry to hear you're not too well. Wrap yourself in cotton wool this week  ;)

A couple of long walks for me and a few run/walks during the past week. Nothing today as I'll be glued to the TV all day  ;)