Shades Marathon Training

Comments

• Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Shades-I' m a bit of a course geek and like to know when the ups and downs are coming up.A hill towards the end of a possible long run has a worse climb than Lancaster so I'm going to end my next couple of long runs up it.
    MF-Great news on the caravan,has to be more comfy than a tent.
    Easy 6 miles today after work,Had to consciously slow it down as my easy effort is now getting fast.
    In other news I've been told my promotion is officially going through on 16th october,great timing as its a week after Chester as I'll probably have a busy couple of months so may get slightly less time to run.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2017
    Big G - I guess it is quite a commitment doing all CC races, I never did that many as my marathon calendar always took priority.

Is that some some kind of Dutch pancake as you're asking Emmy.....that's a lot of sugar, is it sugar?

Cal - hope that ankle niggle goes away quickly.  

There is no evidence that you are less likely to get an injury after a massage, in fact there's no evidence that massage will prevent injury and I've known folk pick up an injury after a deep tissue massage.  

mamafox - great news that your foot is much improved and certainly manageable now.   Good for you doing all your strength exercises and your stretching too.  I've lapsed on my exercises due to my knee niggle.

The caravan could be really useful for your races :) and much much better than camping.

Don't know what's causing my knee niggle, hurts going upstairs and at other times, but less so running.  It's intermittent so can be fine for hours then hurt again, I still think it could be a bit of loose cartilage but it just doesn't feel right.   Yes, tomorrows race is the Tunnel race but I think I will DNS due to my knee, haven't finally decided yet.

Ian - brilliant news on your promotion and perfect timing, you've trained hard all year, it will do you good to back off the training for a little while and then just pick it up again for your 2018 spring marathon.   Just drop to a base weekly mileage, all easy stuff to keep your aerobic base in place.

Pilates class booked, I booked dead on 7 a.m. and half the places had already gone.   Haven't got a place for this Tuesday's class so hoping for a cancellation.

Looking forward to my marshalling duties today at Christow show as it's a 'proper' country show, horse classes, sheep, dog show, terrier racing etc.   I'm probably too old and heavy for the donkey rides though :/

• Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    edited August 2017
    They're called "poffertjes".  Small, fluffy, buttery pancakes with lots of icing sugar. It's a Dutch thing...and very nice.  You make them in a special pan which has 18 circular wells, so you make 18 at a time, and flip them over.  In NL, there are places that only sell poffertjes and probably make 100s at a time when it's busy, as they have a massive griddle where they make them.

Sorry to hear about your knee Shades, but great news MF that you're running is going well.  Is it the 55 mile P&D plan you're going to follow?

Went to see Jimmy Carr last night....he's very rude!

I'm planning a parkrun this morning, so with running to and from it, it'll be six miles at an easy pace.  Then, all being well, I'll do 3 or 4 tomorrow AM, before the 10K race tomorrow evening.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    18, well they'd just have to be all eaten at the same time :) They do look nice.

I forgot Torbay 10k was an evening race, first of all I thought that's a long warm up!

• Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Shades-Bad news if you decide to DNS,hope the knee fixes soon.
    I am only planning a half and 10k in November and that's it until the new year anyway as I'm always so busy in decemeber.What amount of weekly base mileage should I be looking at over that time?
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Ian - drop to 30 or 35 miles a week, your training for Chester will carry you through the November races.   30-35 should feel easy to you now :)
  • Well, this is crap. My ankle didn't feel too bad this morning. Weather is beautiful - clear and (for once) fresh. Perfect for parkrun. Decided to see if I could run. Jogged around the corner. OK. Jogged a bit further. Hmm. Turned the corner on to a road that goes slightly downhill. Nope nope nope. Turned around and went home.
    In the past I probably would have tried to push through it but with four races coming up, I am not going to blow my chances for a parkrun, however nice it is outside. I'll take a few days off and see what happens.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Cal - oh no, let's hope it's just temperamental and goes as quickly as it came on.   Ankles really are peculiar and complex.  Is it 2 weeks until your next half marathon?

I've just been googling my knee pain, so not a good idea.  Anyway probably arthritis or just some minor runner's knee type niggle. 
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Sorry Ian - I missed it about your promotion.  Well done, and good timing for you marathon!

Bad news Cal, but well done for not carrying on.  Very frustrating though :(  

I did my parkrun and the bit before and after.  I had a nice run out, saw a couple of friends, and had a chat whilst going around the course.  

With tomorrow, it'll be about 50-miles this week (give or take a mile or two), but no individual runs will have been over 7-miles, so not exactly marathon training sessions!  But it all helps I suppose, and as I've done a couple of double days the balance of it has meant I've been able to do 2 speed sessions (a hill repeat session and 45sec rep session) and I feel okay with no niggles.  So that's probably good for 5K training, but not so good for marathon training...

I'm not too bothered about my next marathon (City to Sea) as it's not a PB course, and I'm just looking forward to the event.  I think really it'll be run for 20-miles and then run/walk the rest.  In training, it's taken me about 1hr45mins to do that last 6-miles, so not sure what it will be after running 20-miles!
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Cal-Hope that goes quickly for you,good idea to stop.
    Shades-You're right,30-35 would seem so easy these days.
    Not to worried about my November races,may not get to do them depending on work but easy PB's if I can to round off a great year.
  • Shades - yeah, two weeks until Maidenhead. I'll DNS if I have to (though I'd rather not, obviously) - Richmond is my main target and thene there's Royal Parks where I'm being sponsored.
    Tomorrow was going to be my last proper long run but I don't suppose it'll hurt to skip it. I've done 15 miles so the stamina's there. On the plus side, I've always done quite well in races where I've run lightly just before. In my first stab at Richmond, I'd been on holiday to Italy where I ran just three times in two weeks (though I did walk a lot), and then didn't run much the week before either. Knocked 4 minutes off my PB that time. And then Manchester Marathon I went to Dubai during my taper and didn't run at all for five days.
    Of course, everything is contingent upon the ankle being OK but fingers crossed.
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    I decided to do my long runs a bit faster for the last couple of weeks as they have felt very easy effort wise recently.I had 20 planned for today so did 9 at my new pace and it felt good so decided to do 9 at MP and see how it felt.It was hard to judge as I ended up with the wind behind me for 5 miles and went too fast.After the wind eased I was still able to do the last 5 at MP.By the end the 20 came out at slightly quicker than MP due to the wind factor,it's gave me a massive confidence boost with 4 weeks to go.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - don't worry about not having done a long run this week, if your overall mileage is at a good level which yours is at 50, and it's only 2 weeks since your last marathon then that's absolutely fine. 

I ran IOM with hardly any training in the 5 weeks since my previous race due to stomach upset/knee/head cold and the longest run I'd done in that 5 week period was 10 miles and I only did that once.   On race day I felt a lack of aerobic fitness but only in the early stages of the race, I felt fine and quite strong in the last few miles.

Re the last 6 miles of C2S, I expect you'll do the same or faster than you've done in training, you'll be thinking of those fish and chips.   A change in terrain such as that can often freshen the legs as you're not running with the same cadence.
    How's the Trotter with the 'nutrition problem' i.e. running 10k PB's in his long training runs, getting on with his training?

Cal - no need for any more long runs for you either at this stage, just need that pesky ankle to heal

Ian5 - great running and now you can plan exactly how you'll pace Lancaster, but don't repeat that long run pace too often, save the performance for race day.

Well I've DNS'd today's race, knee is slightly niggly but no worse for being on my feet a long time yesterday at the country show.  I've got 2 weeks now until my next marathon, am resting again today and then will start training again tomorrow, just short easy runs and see how I get on.

The XC race went well at the show, helped with the entries and the results, we could have done with a  few more entries but the runners really seemed to enjoy it.   After that I stayed at the show for quite a while and it was brilliant, enjoyed the Vikings who then got kids to join in, I'm sure it's politically incorrect these days to give kids swords and let them 'kill' the Vikings but the kids loved it. 
    Best part was the terrier racing, didn't matter if your dog was a terrier or not but they scent a lure/hare then the owners are encouraged to whip the dogs up into a frenzy and all the dogs are released at the same time and the first dog to get the hare wins.   Then the bigger dogs could have a go and then all the dogs together, which was mayhem but so funny to watch, the dogs loved it.
    The whole show really was Devon at it's best right from the car park attendant in the field who said 'give it some welly up the hill' as he directed me to the top of the field. :)

• Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    edited August 2017
    Shades-Sorry about the DNS today,hopefully you'll be right for your next race.Sounds like you had a great day at the show.
    I've no intention running a long run at that pace again,unless that eventually becomes my long pace,it was just really hard to slow with the wind,The last 5 were at MP and all felt like the right effort.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Ian - a tailwind like that is dream conditions so impossible to resist :)
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Shades-It certainly was,I have it against me often enough.I did miles 9-15 averaging 8.05p/m.Legs feel good enough today though,so 8 miles about to be attempted.
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Shades, that runner has gone very quiet.  He was all over Facebook and Strava until that bad run he had, but he's gone very quiet now.  Not sure what's happened.  On that note, there was a a "coaches and leaders" meeting on Thursday, which I was invited to.  You may remember I raised my concerns at Committee and the coaches promised to look at it - well Thursday was the day of that follow up meeting to discuss things.  Unfortunately for me, I was out for a meal with friends (an old work colleague's leaving do, which had been in the diary for weeks), so I couldn't attend.  However, I wrote something to the coach coordinator and he promised to address it at the meeting.  I thought what I wrote was pretty reasonable and balanced, so hopefully no offence was taken by anyone.  Anyway, I haven't seen the Minutes yet, but I'm not imagining much will have changed, if anything.

Really sorry you've had to DNS your race.  Sound like it's for the best though.

Ian, those tail winds are great.  Turning around and going back into a head wind is always very hard work!    :s

I've just come back from my 3-mile run.  I did 1-mile steady, 1-mile at 10K pace, 1-mile steady.  The 1-mile at 10K pace was hard work!!!!  From that 5K I did, the predictors say 7min/miles for a 10K (I did 6:56 for that one mile this morning) but the 5K was pancake flat, whereas there are a couple of hills in the 10K this evening.  Anyway, my course record is 44:01, so let's see if I can get near that.

Something else to get hooked on, now that the Vuelta has started!  I no longer have Sky/Europort so had to wait for the highlights, which I watched this morning.  I see though that Eurosport have a cycling internet pass you can get for the year, which is £20 I think.  I am tempted, as it would include next year's Giro as well....  Froome has set his stall out to win the Vuelta, as he's said he has changed his preparation overall to attempt to be fresher for later in the year.  At the final stage finish of the TdeF he was already talking about the Vuelta, so he's obviously going to go for it.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - maybe that Trotter has decided that C2S is maybe not ideal for a first marathon, or he's not been training, hence the silence.

Pity you couldn't attend that meeting, will be interesting to see what happened.

Good luck for tonight's race, we're going to get rain soon but not sure if it will last.

I've taped the Vuelta highlights too, the highlights are enough for me and I think ITV4 do a good highlight programme.   I remember a lot of comment being made about Froome not having won anything this year before the TdeF and I think he wanted to show that he could.   He really is a most determined character.   Athletics on TV today too, but I record them and then fast forward through all the timewasting bits.

Catching up on paperwork today :(  

• Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Big G-Embrace the hills has always been my motto  :D Good luck for the race tonight.
    8 miles completed,felt surprisingly easy after yesterday,legs a little tight for the first quarter mile then no problems,finished at my new easy pace and comfortable heart rate also.Means I finish this week with a new high of 54 miles.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Ian - a great week for you :)

I've made a note to let you know when the entries open for the Dartmoor Discovery :D   then you can really embrace a hill or two 

• Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Shades-Haha,when I said hills I meant molehills rather than mountains 
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Ian, ha, yeah I do try.  The other day, I went and did some fast hill reps up and down one of the hills that are on the course.  Awful experience ;)  
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    You'll get fed up of those molehills Ian and soon want a bit of a challenge. ;)

I've had enough of paperwork now, renewed travel insurance, bargain  :) .....changed electricity supplier, not such a bargain :(
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    The Torbay 10K went very well for me today.  It was ran in cool conditions with a bit of misty rain in the air, but little wind, so good conditions for me.  I did a thorough warmup (I had a bit of a sweat on the start line) and went out with 7min/miles in my mind, doing the first mile in 6:52, so I was happy with that.  The next mile with a hill was 7:05, but then on the flat I rattled off 6:48, 6:38 and 6:52.  The sixth mile, with an uphill, was 6:57 and I was hanging on at this point, but finished pretty strong with the last bit at 6:42 pace.   All that ends up being 42:56 (on my watch - awaiting chip times), which I have to say I am delighted with as it's over a minute off my course PB, and an average of 6:53 according to Strava.  So, a good day at the office for me.  

With my warmup and cool down, it's 11 miles for the day and 49.6 for the week.  If only I'd parked further away from the race finish, it would have been a cool 50 ;)  
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Shades, that chap who was talking about nutrition for his long runs and doing 10K PBs at the start of them, has this afternoon posted on the Facebook group saying he's got tendonitis and was looking for advice.  He hasn't been able to run much recently, but he's still hoping to get around City to Sea as his first marathon.
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Great result Big G-our 5k times are very similar now so that gives me a good idea of what I can do when I do a 10k next.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2017
    Big G - great result, well done, good pacing too.  How far off your 10k Pb is that?

Interesting that that runner has tendonitis when you say he's posted no training stats.  Well he's not going to get rid of tendonitis in 2 weeks, but he could walk a lot of it, I think there's a generous time limit.  Of course depends where the tendonitis is, if it's achilles he shouldn't even attempt to start.

Ian - interesting bit of competition now between you and Big G now, ;)  and not just for your respective football teams. 

Watched the athletics yesterday on TV, a bit lack lustre and Mo's race was set up with no runners that could challenge him which I thought was pathetic.   Then I find out that wasn't his last track race, but his last in the UK, his last is to be in Zurich.   He's like a dinner guest that won't leave and go home :#

Short easy run this morning, glad it was short as I thought last week I'd run in humid conditions but today was like running in a sauna, just checked and humidity was 98% when I went out :'(

• Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    edited August 2017
    Thanks Ian.  It's strange as a couple of times I glanced at my watch and I was doing 6:30min/mile which is pretty much sub-20 5K pace.  I'm sure I can go sub-20 at some point at a 5K, but time will tell.  The course is such that we lap large numbers of runners (probably 100s of runners), but that actually helped push me on in a funny way.  Also, as there were 30 from my club there, I overtook 8 out on the course (none overtook me) so I could always see a Trotter vest ahead, which pushed me on too.  It's all friendly competition but I easily beat a runner who usually beats me (he managed 45mins, although he basically went off at 5K pace so I didn't overtake him until 2-miles...!).  He always seems to go off at 5K pace, regardless of the race distance ;)   There were 580 finishers and I finished 56th.

I finished third Trotter which I think is my highest place, and I believe I qualified for a team prize too (3rd male team, so not a great prize as I was the slowest runner in the slowest qualifying team, but I'll take it!).

Shades, yeah I don't know what's happened with that runner.  It turns out his training partner has something similar too and hasn't ran for a while either.  I know we can all get injuries regardless of our training, but I can't help think it's at least partly because they train too quick all the time.

Regarding Torbay 10K, that is actually my second quickest time at a 10K - chip time was 42:53.  My PB on a flat course from earlier this year is 42:37.

Regarding that quick Trotter, he did 30-miles at a comfortable 7min/miles yesterday!  Heart rate really even and easy for him too.  At 19, should he be doing that though - serious question.  It's not for me to say anything as in a way I can see why he wants to push himself as he's obviously got talent and to be honest I admire his dedication, but I just hope he doesn't burn himself out or knacker himself.  I suppose it's a balancing act there.  There is a chance that we may get a couple of quicker runners from Torbay AC who will help push him on as well - they've had a falling out in that club and there seems to be a bit of mini exodus at the moment.

Yes, it is strange about Mo.  Probably he had these commitments, but I think he was focussing on the World Champs.  In an interview immediately after his last World Champs race he more or less said (I'm paraphrasing) "that's it - the season is over now", which I'd imagine didn't please the organisers of the other events!
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - well done on the team prize, well deserved as if you hadn't run so well they wouldn't have won the prize.  And 56th place is very good, as a lot of runners target that race for fast times, and that is very close to your PB.   I think you're in much better shape than you thought you were, those marathons obviously aren't doing you an harm :D

That runner with tendonitis, it suspiciously sounds like he can't be bothered to train on his own, so when his mate is injured he doesn't run, he will never make a marathon runner!

Re the fast Trotter, I wouldn't advise anyone of his age to run that sort of mileage.   The UKA age limit for ultras is 21 and that's there for a reason, I'm not sure some race directors are knowledgeable enough to enforce this .   Of course some youngsters mature earlier than others but he doesn't look to me that he has and I believe bones still develop up to the age of 20.   

Re Mo, these announcements have been made last minute, as the Worlds was going to be his last track race.  I suspect it's money, this is his last chance to earn appearance money for running in an event for a while as the marathons will be less frequent. 

• Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Big G-2 people training together with the same injury sounds very much like the wrong training is being done.Well done on the prize also.
    Shades-I'm delighted to be near Big G's times,he's still a bit ahead on all I think but even keeping close is great for me.
    Was planning an easy 8 today but had toothache for a few days and was hoping it would go so a trip to the dentist is in order,and I hate them,so see how that goes first.