Options

Shades Marathon Training

Comments

• Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    edited September 2017
    Good luck to you Jelly.  I'm marshalling - I think I'm in/near the start/finish area.

I did the tail walker role yesterday at parkrun, which was my 79th.  I still got a finishing position and the time was 1:07.  Our quick Trotter was there and was probably about 60-secs out in front, but he went the wrong way in the last mile (he hasn't done the course before) so didn't get a finish time unfortunately.  I had a brief chat with him as I was walking around after he finished and he's still targeting Cardiff for his Half attempt (he's already got his Champs start for London next year).  The last four or five weeks he's been doing 140 miles per week!  It's funny as when I saw him out on the course yesterday, it hardly looked like he was trying - I had to remind myself he was probably doing around 5:20min/miles.  He makes it look so easy, as do most of the faster runners.  Amazing to see.

Beer festival last night, and there were a couple of Trotters there who are running the 10K today.  What bad behaviour ;)    I met up with a couple of friends for a fish and chip lunch in Paignton, then we went over to Newton Abbot on the train for a beer or two, before catching the bus out to the beer fest.  The place was packed out - it's probably one of the biggest festivals we have here - but yet still easy to get to the bar for a drink.  And of course, I had a hog roast :)  It was a good night.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Difficult run for me today at Loch Ness. At 2nd mile I got a sharp stone in my shoe, had to stop to remove it. Thought I'd done that but could still feel my heel which was sore. Stopped again at 5 miles and found the stone had cut my heel in 2 places and it was bleeding.  Put a blister plaster on and had to run the remaining 21 miles with sore heel, it was very sore and when I finished the heel of my shoe was all bloody.  Tried to post photo but can't get my phone to do it. Finish time 5:06 but it was a great race and enjoyed the day, very social.   Also met a girl today who'd just run her 100th marathon and were then off to get married! 
  • Options
    Ouch, Shades, that's something you didn't need! Good time for a difficult run. I'm guessing Loch Ness isn't flat.
    Went for a walk this morning (just over 5000 steps, so a couple of miles or so). Lovely weather. Petted a husky and checked up on my geese (the baby is still alive and is now the size of a duck). Wished I was running but hey ho.
    Then I did Yin yoga.
    Hip was much sorer this afternoon. Not sure if that's down to Yin. We did some hip openers - shoelace (aka happy cowface) and dragon, but they didn't seem to bother it at the time. 99% sure it's my TFL that's the problem. I'm scared it won't be better by Royal Parks - any other race I'd just DNS but I'm being sponsored. :worried:
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Sorry to hear about the injury Shades, but it sounds like you had a good race regardless.

The Trotters Ladies 10K went off well today, with a large amount of Trotters competing (it's a club champs race this year), and a good amount of first time racers, which is always great to see :)  

Did anyone see Berlin marathon on the TV?  Was it a good race?

I've got a slightly sore back after marshalling.  See, marshalling is dangerous ;)  In all seriousness, I remember spectating at London for my sister-in-law back in 2009, and I was absolutely knackered after it!
  • Options
    Sorry to hear about your foot Shades. But glad you completed the marathon. Bet the scenery was amazing. Completed my 20 miler today. Enjoyed the run. I had a water and nutrition plan that worked well. No migraines today thankfully. I took gels at 5, 10, and 15 miles. Took water bottle for first 10 miles then ran back home on 2nd loop to collect the water I'd left with half a HiFive Zero electrolye tablet in it ....

• Options
    I also took some jelly beans which helped a great deal late on. Lovely weather and a pleasant scenic route along canal for a large section. 
  • Options
    JellyJelly ✭✭✭
    The Ladies 10k was good and my time was 52:40 just over a minute faster than last year and at the end of Marathon training so on reflection I'm ok with it but know I did start too fast 7:30 min mile, didn't totally crash and burn but didn't enjoy the following 2 miles did settle in to a pace last part. The more 10k I do the more I know I like the longer distance.  Cardiff Half next weekend and really looking forward to it.  The support from Trotters and Mavericks was fab and thank you to all the marshals. 
  • Options
    E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    Shades - That's a real shame about your foot but what a result! 5.06 is great at Loch Ness.

John - Great run today! :) Jelly Babies for the win! :D

Nice relaxing weekend here :) I'm looking at a marathon early October to give myself another 20miler (aka marathon) to give myself a little more leeway. It's a 6hr event so quite relaxed for time (the others had really hard 4.30/5hr cut-offs and I didn't want that pressure.

• Options
    JellyJelly ✭✭✭
    Hope your foot feels better soon Shades. 
  • Options
    E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    In case anyone is interested in the race i'm doing
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Shades-Tough day after being cut so early,that sounds like a really good time though,what was your time last year? Well done on a good finish in those circumstances.
    Big G-Well done on marshalling. 
    Jelly-A minute is a lot in a 10k so well done.
    John-That looks like a good run,relax time now and enjoy the taper.
    Emmy-Think the end of your last post is missing.
    Just an easy 8 miles for me after work,felt back to easy effort so hopefully means I'm nearly recovered now,going to go for a longer run tomorrow and see how it goes.
  • Options
    E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    @Ian - if you hover over "Race" you should see the race as a link?
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Now I see,I was on my phone so couldn't see it.
  • Options
    E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    I was trying to be smart.... shame that it doesnt always show on the phone!
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Emmy, I've actually been there to watch a hockey match!  I was there the day before Leiden Marathon :)  
  • Options
    That's annoying re the door, Shades. I imagine you would have gone under 5 hours without the pain and having to stop to put a plaster on, but that's still a great time for a hilly course. Hope the foot is feeling better tomorrow.

Well done on the 20 miles John, glad the jelly babies worked well.

Cal - is the RPH this weekend coming up? Is there an option to defer the place if you're not feeling up to it? Or can you just run it nice and gently?!

Well done on the 10k, Jelly, that's lot to knock off last year's time. I agree though, 10Ks are hard!

Emmy - early October sounds very soon!

I didn't parkrun for first time in ages as my club have an annual event. It involves 2 4K races & a 2K race and most people run all three. Enjoyed it & think I ran a better time than 2 years ago, although not seen results yet. Max, my 10yo ran the 2k & was only 20s slower than the club record for his age, which has stood for 30 years! Then 13 miles this morning on a hilly route as I have a hilly 10k race next Sunday.
  • Options
    E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    Big G - I've run around the forest a few years ago with a friend of mine but I think this will be different as we stopped for stroopwafels on the way around :dizzy:

SK - Wow! I think Max will be following in your footsteps! That's an absolutely incredible achievement to get so close to the record!
  • Options
    SK, it's in two weeks.
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    edited September 2017
    Emmy, stroopwafels were part of Bake Off last week - do you get that where you are?  To be honest, it seemed a lot of faff when you can get cracking ones from Lidl :)  

SK, Max is obviously taking after you!  Well done to him.
  • Options
    *that should say, that's annoying re the FOOT, Shades, not the door!! Bloody phone!
  • Options
    Cal - hopefully 2 weeks is enough time to recover properly and get some longer runs in.
  • Options
    Shades- that sounds very uncomfortable but still a great time

8 miles easy today for me have had a bad man cold the last few days so with just a week till my Glasgow half marathon didn't want to push it to much today.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Can't respond to any posts as either my phone or the WiFi is wobbly.  No recovery run for me today as my heel is too sore to use the same running shoes as yesterday and I didn't bring a spare pair. So am sitting up in bed with tea and biscuits waiting to see if I can manage to book my Pilates class by my phone!  Rain here today not sure what I'm doing as will depend if I can walk painfree.
  • Options
    Shades, so sorry to hear about your injury, hope you soo recover, congrats on your marathon.

I tried to volunteer at Fountains Abbey park run on Saturday but they were suddenly ok for marshals so on a whim I decided to run it and try for a pb! Congested start and hilly and sometimes slippery course but managed! 29.18, very pleased! Yesterday I did my volunteer sports massages at a local 10k. 2 weeks till York :)
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    I'm not really sure why, but I'm just not feeling it at the moment.  I last ran on Friday (Saturday's parkrun doesn't count as I walked it at the back), and I think today may be another rest day.  This is unlike me!  I'm generally feeling quite tired with a few aches and pains.  Probably a run may help clear the aches, but as it's my lower back I don't want to risk it - I have had back issues in the past, so don't want to make it worse with a run.  Ho hum.  I suppose I have to listen to what my body is telling me, and take an extra day or two off.  Hopefully I'll be fine for Saturday's marathon.  I definitely want to be fine for Munich, partly as that is the most expensive race I've ever entered, so I don't want to DNS that one!
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    SK-Mighty impressive time from max there,star in the making.
    Big G- I know the feeling,I'm putting how I'm feeling down to having 3 weeks between races so just recovering and tapering.I am enjoying my run when I get out,just the kicking myself out I'm struggling with.
  • Options
    Jelly & lily - well done on your races  :):) 

Shades - well done at Loch Ness  :) Hope the heel heals quickly - I find lavender oil heals up small cuts really quickly.

We had a beautiful day yesterday - hot and sunny - so I went for a walk with a local footpath group. Only about 5 or 6 miles as they walk very slowly but a lovely stroll through woods and fields :) . Only a 20 min drive away so I sat on the sofa all afternoon watching the cycling. Raining again today  :(
  • Options
    E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    Big G - Oh yes... they're a dutch specialty. You need to have one hot when you come over - it's heaven!

Mowser - that sounds like a lovely walk!

Shades - Sorry to hear that your heel is still sore :( 
  • Options
    A quick catch up;
    Big G - Nice marathon, hope the injury is OK.
    Ian - Superb PB, well done.
    SK - Nice HM, great pace!
    John - Might be easier to drive as public transport looks like a no go due to the early start! So annoying I can't get the train in the morning, which I usually would for the 10k/HM!!
    Cal - Will let you know how Birmingham is, but the course should be decent/flat, however there is a looped section, that might not be great if you don't like loops.

40 odd miles for me, did a couple of longer runs back to back this weekend 15m/12m in the hope that helps as I haven't really got a proper build up for the marathon. Should hit 50 miles this week before a couple of weeks tapering.
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Eventually got out and did 11 miles or so,had to stop after 10 as the bridge I run across home is off and they had a minibus to the other side,then another mile home,hard to get going again though.
    Legs still struggling to move,hopefully a week in the sun will invigorate them.
    In better news I've done my next marathon plan  :) based it on Manchester,and if I get into London then just add 2 weeks to it.For this cycle I averaged 45(I think) and topped out at 56,and for the next I'm averaging 50 and topping at 60 so should be ok,all dependent on work though.