Shades Marathon Training

Comments

• Jelly - I am doing the same, just hoping I am in a fit state to find, unwrap and place the half tablet in the water bottle at 10 and particularly at 20 miles :) I am not used to carrying gels/sweets/ electrolyte tablets in a running belt, it's a first for me.
  • JellyJelly ✭✭✭
    I have a whole Picnics going on in mine. Gels in belt,
    fruit pastels in side pockets, phone in front pocket and tablets in back pocket or with gels my Trail skort has lots of pockets.  My new Trail back pack has loads of room for sweets and goodies. 
  • Shades- training plan greatfully received. Thanks.

Good luck to all who have races over the weekend.
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Good luck to everyone racing this weekend :)

I did a 5-miler at a steady pace yesterday, and although no running for me today, I have done a long walk (13 miles).  I caught the train to Teignmouth and then walked the coast path back to Paignton, with the step-dog.  I stopped for fish and chips along the way, which went down very nicely!  I'm knackered now though!

The bit from Shaldon to Babbacombe is on the City to Sea route.  I walked that today in more-or-less the same time as I shuffle/walked it at the race, which shows how bad the conditions underfoot were that day!
  • mowzermowzer ✭✭✭
    Good luck to all the racers this weekend. Enjoy  :)

My Tuesday running buddy entered the ballot for London but didn't get in (she said she was thankful for that). However when I said 'other marathons are available' it set little cogs in motion and she asked if she could have a copy of Shades plan 'just to have a look at, to see if it would be possible'  :*  (I have it saved on my laptop). She has completed a few 5ks, the Royal Parks 10k, has walked a marathon with no ill effects and is a regular at park-run (even completing a couple when on holiday in Australia last month!). I think what she would really like is to get a GFA then get automatic entry for London the following year. We might have a new recruit on here soon  ;)
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Jelly - well you've got your fuelling sorted and you know what works for you.   Have a good trip up to Brum this morning. :)

John - use small plastic bags, cut them down to size if necessary to make them less fiddly.  Cling film is too difficult to remove while running.  Make sure you've already opened the bag of Percy Pigs ready for action :D

Big G - you certainly earned that fish and chips.

mowzer - you are a good influence on your friend, looks like you'll be doing a few marathons together.

Rest day for me, race tomorrow. :)

• Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Ha ha Mowzer - that's kind of how I "recruited" Jelly.  She was asking me about plans for Dartmoor Discovery and I was way out of my depth, so I pointed her here :)  

I see Steve Edwards is on the front page of the BBC website this morning, as he's doing his 800th marathon in Birmingham.  There's a short video of him.  http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-england-coventry-warwickshire-41610211/marathon-man-steve-edwards-prepares-for-800th-race
  • JellyJelly ✭✭✭
    John I used sandwich bags for sweet, don't split like sweet wrappers. 
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - Steve's been working hard to make this target of 800 this weekend, all sub 3:30 and most sub 3:20.

Do you want to borrow his book, I've got a copy?

Interesting, perhaps I should write a training plan for DD, not sure it's possible.   Build up a strong base with lots of mileage and run some hilly marathons and half marathons is probably the best advice.

• JellyJelly ✭✭✭
    Yes please Shades 
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Shades, yes I would like to borrow his book.  Thanks.

As you know, I've never done the DD (hence why I was out of my depth when Jelly asked me), but I was thinking what to say and I was going to suggest maybe 3 or 4 marathons in the build up, getting out onto the hills in training, practicing walking on them too and not "dodging" any weather conditions in training, as the weather can be variable/challenging on Dartmoor so you'd want to be ready for that.  But in terms of a weekly plan and how to structure it, I had no real idea.  For me, I know it's the hills that I don't do well on - even a moderate hill slows me right down when trying to run, which is why I think I don't overly like Plym Trail.  I can walk on them fine though.  Munich was flat, as was Leiden, and along with London those have been my favourite events this year.  I loved City to Sea too (in fact that's my second favourite, behind London), but that's a totally different race obviously.  

I am not sure of the date, but I think the entries will be opening earlier than usual - maybe even in the next month or so.  I think if I do it, I need to get out onto the hills, but it's hard if I keep the marathon events ticking over, which I am hoping to.  It's about a balance I think, which I am still not sure I've got!
  • JellyJelly ✭✭✭
    Think red tape had been a bit of a headache for RD but all coming together now. Didn't give me date of release, but informed him I will be camping on his door step. LOL 
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Just popped in to say good luck to everyone racing this weekend very busy weekend for races I think.
    5 miles yesterday but my ankle is still playing up,along with my metatarsal so going to give it a rest for a few days,probably not helping that I bought new work shoes but I remember toward the end of training my ankle was feeling weaker after decent runs so need a rest I think.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - I'll bring Steve's book tomorrow.  I'm not sure if Jelly's 'yes please' was for the book or a DD training plan, if it's the book then you can pass it on after you've read it.

Big_G said:

As you know, I've never done the DD (hence why I was out of my depth when Jelly asked me), but I was thinking what to say and I was going to suggest maybe 3 or 4 marathons in the build up, getting out onto the hills in training, practicing walking on them too and not "dodging" any weather conditions in training, as the weather can be variable/challenging on Dartmoor so you'd want to be ready for that.  But in terms of a weekly plan and how to structure it, I had no real idea.  For me, I know it's the hills that I don't do well on - even a moderate hill slows me right down when trying to run, which is why I think I don't overly like Plym Trail.  I can walk on them fine though.  Munich was flat, as was Leiden, and along with London those have been my favourite events this year.  I loved City to Sea too (in fact that's my second favourite, behind London), but that's a totally different race obviously.  

I am not sure of the date, but I think the entries will be opening earlier than usual - maybe even in the next month or so.  I think if I do it, I need to get out onto the hills, but it's hard if I keep the marathon events ticking over, which I am hoping to.  It's about a balance I think, which I am still not sure I've got!
    The fact that you can walk a good hill is a huge advantage to you, the ones that finding walking difficult are those that struggle so much.  The best ultra runners are good walkers they need to be able to keep going, walk a tough hill and then be able to run on at the top of it.   As you're doing Barcelona and I guess a possible PB attempt, then train for that as you would any other marathon, then when that's done introduce more hills into your training especially in the longer runs, a few hilly races too would help.   

Jelly - I'm poised too waiting for DD entry to open. 

Ian - definitely time to ease up and let that foot niggle clear up, you've trained hard this year.

• JellyJelly ✭✭✭
    Was Training plan but book is also on my too read list. :) 
  • JellyJelly ✭✭✭
    I've got three marathons planned in build up and was going to follow Shades plan but choose the route with DD in mind regarding hills, and ask loads of questions on here. 
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Jelly said:
    Was Training plan but book is also on my too read list. :) 
    For now you'll have to make do with the book. ;)    But I will give some thought to tailoring the Level 2 plan with DD in mind.

What trashes the legs at DD is not the uphills but the downhills and they need a lot of practise, no point in trying to train hard on very steep downhills.  Some steady downhill running on gentler hills to strengthen the quads which will protect the knees.

• Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Shades, when you're training on very steep hills, do you walk up them in preparation for DD?  Or generally do you keep running, albeit at a slower pace, when training?

Parkrun done today, but I didn't "race" it.  Don't know time, but with the run there and back it was 6-miles.  It felt really humid today though.
  • JellyJelly ✭✭✭
    No worries,  grateful for all the help on here, thanks Big G for adding me. 
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - I don't deliberately walk in training but if I start to struggle running up a steep hill then I will walk when necessary, as I would in a race.   Like in the steeper climbs in Tavy 13, I ran slowly as far as I could and then walked until I could run again.  I walked faster than some that were still running.

I am a good walker anyway, it's the running I'm not so good at ;)

It is warm and humid, I think much the same tomorrow for us

https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/forecast/gcn06hcrf#?date=2017-10-15   maybe not quite so windy as I'm not sure if we go near the beach

• JellyJelly ✭✭✭
    In the braunton 10, I watched a lady further up the hill walking with purpose, none of the runners were gaining on her.  So now I walk with purpose on anything I can walk faster than run. 
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Jelly - you already have the DD technique then :)
  • JellyJelly ✭✭✭
    That's really reassuring to hear. Still not out of south west. Just leaving Bristol. 
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    I think I mentioned, but at Munich they were handing out SiS bars at a couple of stations. I took one 'just in case' and had it at about 20 miles I think, mainly as I was hungry. I really enjoyed it so I've purchased a box of 24, which turned up today.  I'll keep them for races I want to do well in, and otherwise just use the provisions that are provided on the course. 

I'm glad, as I personally can't stomach the gels, but these bars are kind of like a gooey flapjack-type thing. They were about £18.50 delivered so not too bad I suppose and they're easy to open etc. 
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Jelly - you'll be there soon once you get away from Bristol.

Big G - if you find something you can eat easily then it's worth stocking up on them.   Some bars seem easy to eat until you try and eat them in a race and then they are often too hard and indigestible.   One year at Dublin I remember they were handing out PowerBars, it was very cold, almost frosty that day and there was no chance of eating them as they were like concrete and were all discarded soon after the feed station. 

Soreen, the malt loaf manufacturer used to do a cereal bar and it was soft and squidgy, really easy to eat, I don't think they make them any more, haven't seem them in the shops.  The mini loaf bars are a bit low in carbs for race fuel and I don't fancy them in a race.

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    @Big G - what were the SiS that you tried? I'm testing out a few new ones.
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Emmy, I had the "Science in Sport GO Energy Bar".  I got the 65g bars from Wiggle and went via Quidco, for 3% cashback.

I bought the chocolate and orange flavour as that's what they had at Munich, but they do banana (same price) and also apple and blackcurrant (more expensive for some reason).

Shades, when I was experimenting with food, I took a malt loaf with me on a couple of occasions, but I couldn't really eat it.  Some stuff kind of sticks in my throat and/or makes we feel more thirsty, which isn't what I want.  I don't think this SiS bar will go hard - it feels quite soft in the packet, but it doesn't fall apart when you open it.

Apart from that, my current favourite is mint cake :)  
  • Big G- Hope you don't mind me asking, I notice you are doing the Barcelona marathon in March I have been looking at this one as a possible first overseas marathon. How did you go about entering this marathon?.

6 miles for me this afternoon in what was a breezy but clamy day. Still enjoyable though. Got to go and work night shift now just to spoil the end of my day.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2017
    Emmy - have fun experimenting with various new race foods :)

Big G - I can eat malt loaf before a race but it's too doughy to eat during and becomes hard to swallow.   Years ago I used to use the odd Nutrigrain bar during a race, easy to eat but they're very sweet.

Do you mean Kendal Mint Cake?   They hand that out at the drink stations at Windermere marathon.

Steven - I've not done Barcelona marathon but heard very good reports.....that would be 4 spring marathons for you next year :)

Cal - how are you feeling?

Good luck to all racing tomorrow in their marathons, especially John with his marathon debut, and SK at the Cabbage patch 10.   Probably won't be on line tomorrow until I get home after the race as a fairly early start.  
    Big G - I've packed the book, remind me to hand it over

• Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Steven, I went to the website and entered via that.  There is a registration link off of this page.  https://www.zurichmaratobarcelona.es/eng/

Shades, yes Kendal Mint Cake.  I've found a cheap supplier for that too, and get it in boxes of six large bars :sunglasses: