Shades Marathon Training

Comments

• NickW2NickW2 ✭✭✭
    Forgot to put in my bit lol

I went out for a hard run last night, planned to do 5.5 miles at a hard pace as I did quite a few times in my last marathon build up, went out maybe a bit too fast at around 6:45 pace for first 2 miles and paid for it, mile 3 7:00ish, 4 and 5 around 7:20 then I knocked it on the head and walked the last half mile home as I was really blowing and my groin was hurting slightly so I figured there wasn't a lot of point pushing for another half mile. Still 7:03 average overall which is about the area I would have hoped for, so fairly pleased. Need to try and do this kind of run on a weekly basis really though, consistency of training is what I have found helps more than anything.
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Thanks Nick - I've tried that and it sprang into life....but only for a short while :(  I think I'll go in and see what they see.  It's under warrantee anyway.  Yes, I am really pleased with my progress this year.  Doing way more events and a handful of sub-4s now, so I'm happy.  I know I've got more in me as well, but I need to be selective with the course I think.  Certain types of courses just don't suit me it seems, in terms of a fast time.  Looking back, everything came together at Munich - cool conditions, a flat course, busy (but not over busy), food, fluids, everything went well.

Shades, I haven't seen the results from yesterday yet, but I will check his time just as a matter of interest.  Have you seen them yet?

Jelly, I remember when I did 4:08 at North Dorset, which was my second marathon and a 1hr7min PB (best not ask how crap the first one went!).  I was hoping for sub-4, but over the moon with my time, so I understand where you're coming from about being really pleased with your time.  You've 100% got sub-4 in you, but definitely follow the paces Shades has given you.  It may be that they seem slow but those paces help build endurance, which is what you need in a marathon.  In my purple patch a while ago, when I look back I was doing the majority of my training at around 9:30s, and at the time my Half pace was 7:11....so it does work (I didn't convert this to a marathon at the time, unfortunately, due to a nasty chest infection I picked up)!  Then, when you race a Half and get a PB, Shades can adjust your training paces as necessary.
  • Thanks everyone for your kind supportive comments after my marathon.
    Jelly - well done again that is a fantastic time !
    I don't know where to start with my first marathon report lol. Oh well, here goes .....
    I drove to the stadium about 7:30am, very little traffic which was good. Have to say I was feeling very nervous about the race, the distance was playing on my mind, and I didn't feel the excited butterflies feeling I get before a HM. I really wished I was in a more relaxed state as I think it affected my performance. Queued for ages to go the loo before the race (they need loads more portaloos next year!).
    Entered the stadium 5 mins before the start and made my way through the runners to around the 4.30 hr finish time sign. I stuck around my 9:30 per mile pace for the first half and felt OK (did first half in 2:07). I agree with Jelly, the course was far more hilly than I anticpated, and going through the first loop it did play on my mind going up the hills that I had to do this all again.
    I stuck to my nutrution plan, gels at 5,10,15,20. Also used the Zero tablets in the water. Have to say the crowd support was amazing, the Brummies are such lovely people and having my name printed on my MacMillan Cancer Support vest really helped, so many supporters giving encouragement. I think I ate too many sweets though (didn't want an energy crisis but overcompensated). I ate loads of percy pigs, and fruit pastels and it did make me feel nauseous late on. I couldn't stomach any gels /sweets from 20 mile point.
    Unfortunately my pace started to slow significantly from about the 16 mile point, and at around 20 miles I confess to speed walking up some of the hills which I am a bit disappointed in myself about. But I dug in and tried not to think (without much success) about the 6 miles left !
    I was the same as you Jelly feeling very emotional at times, without going into too much detail it has been a very difficult year this year for my close family dealing with illness, but I kept the tears at bay and I have to say I enjoyed ticking off those last 4 miles, and was so glad to see my wife and daughters screaming with excitment on the finishing straight :)

So I finished in 4:43 (hoped for under 4:30 but proud of my medal for my first marathon).

I felt quite nauseous after the race, I walked to a grassed area met up with famiy, and sat down. Shades you were spot on with saying about putting on warm clothes, I became very cold (never felt so cold). I knew  needed to eat and drink but felt like I was going to be sick (I said to my wife, I don't want to eat another bloody Percy Pig ever). I forced down a banana and a bit of water, and once I had my warm clothes on walked a bit the nausea passed.

Shades, thanks so much for all your help and support over the last few months, and your training plan. I couldn't have completed the race in one piece without your expert advice. And thanks to everyone else in the form for your help and support.

• Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    SK-Great age group win again,hopefully you didn't tell the woman she looks your age.
    John-That performance for your first mate,I doubt anyone hits their projected time for their first marathon,it's such a different distance to any other.
    Jelly-Well done again and that emotion sounds how I was at the end if my first,intact I still feel emotional at the end of them now,i find the last mile im thinking about the training I've put in and family etc and it starts welling up.
    Nick-Thats a fast run considering all your time off recently,good luck on getting going again.
    Ankle is still sore today but seems quite a bit better,hopefully on the way,on a bright note I've just realised I've had no marathon aches since about Thursday which is by far my quickest recovery so at least thats gone well.
  • JellyJelly ✭✭✭
    I second John thanks of help and advise. I'm looking forward to starting Shades plan for DD and have total faith in pace as proof in the pudding listening to everyone improvermentd on here.  Can't wait to show off my marathon tee shirt at Trotters on Wednesday.  We're not back in time tonight and I've got to take Daugher trampolining so will do slow gentle run on dreadmill. Super well done John marathon runner. 
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Shades, results are out from yesterday and it must have been a tussle at the front, as first and second got given the same time.  SK, you'd easily have won first lady....don't think you'd have won a cabbage though :)  http://www.beyondevents.org.uk/results/2017/burton_marathon_full_Marathon.pdf
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Nick - that's a good tip about the phone, and no pressure to get a handbag ;)

That's a tough run you did if you had to walk the last bit, but you'll nail it in a few weeks.

Jelly - first thing to do is get out for a recovery run. preferably today, that will speed up your recovery from the race and lessen any DOMS.   For the rest of the week, short runs at a very easy pace and you'll know when you're ready to do any more.

Re DD training, what I'll do is give the training some thought, extra or amended sessions to the Level 2 plan, but won't be looking to introduce them until say January or even February

Big G - there was a link to the results on FB last night, they're here but he'll sort them later into respective events http://www.racesplitter.com/races/161B7C277?split=1
    It must be the 2:43 chap that you mentioned, but that result doesn't stand as PA said he was 3rd, so I think that guy pulled up at 23 miles.   The first 2 runners I saw as they were heading our on lap 2 and then I saw them again later and they were running together, not as friends I think but trying to race each other

John - lovely report of your first marathon and well done again.   Everything you went through is normal and the apprehension you experienced before the race is common too and when it's your first marathon you are about to complete a distance that you've never done before, so of course it's scary.    Well done for sticking to your race plan as long as you could, overdosing on the Percy Pigs probably stopped you hitting any wall later in the race.   And we all get sick of the sweet stuff and as you get to the last few miles it's so hard to take on any more fuel.   Next time ( :) ) have something savoury in your bag to eat after the race, crisps are good after a race, and I always take a cheese sandwich in my bag if I feel hungrier and want something more filling, tea and coffee is good too.   I'm glad we were able to guide you through your first marathon, I hope you're going to stick with the running and this thread too of course.

Did your wife drive home? ;)

Ian - speedy recovery for you and you didn't even notice at the time!    Your ankle being less sore means it's very unlikely to be a stress fracture

SK - I ordered those Guide 9's today from Sportsshoes, think I got the last pair in 7.5

• Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Shades/SK-I ordered my guide 10's off these https://www.streetprorunning.com/uk/listar_productos.php 
    I didn't want to recommend them as they were from Spain incase they didn't turn up or had problems,but they came today,£68 with delivery and they feel great,really tempted to take them for a quick spin.
  • JellyJelly ✭✭✭
    I can't find the full results for yesterday to see how many complete it.  I was 1622 overall and 38th in age and gender but mean nothing without total of runners.
    Im still on coach as you can tell bored. 
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    edited October 2017
    Jelly-Not the easiest but here's the results raceresults.greatrun.org
    Here's a better way 
    www.runbritainrankings.com/results/results.aspx?meetingid=178575
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Not sure if you've seen as I edited again but the 2nd post is better
  • JellyJelly ✭✭✭
    Yes thank you but link just finds my results.  I wanted to see how many finished and how many in my age. London said you finish in front of ...... 
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    It's a bit poor for such a big race,here's the best I can see
    http://www.greatrun.org/myresults/advanced-search
    You can click age group(u20's) and female and it shows them all,but it only shows 10 per page so you have to count how many pages to see your position and the end.
  • JellyJelly ✭✭✭
    Thank you, agree it's not like it's their first and only race. 
  • Shades - good idea on something savoury. Would be nice change from the sweets. Yes my wife drove home
  • lol sorry typing on phone. The posts not working 
  • Using PC now.... yes Shades, we tried to get the free shuttle bus back to the stadium, but none of the Great Run staff seemed to be certain where the buses were. They had us walkinf around circles in Brum for 20 min until I thpught sod this and we caught a taxi back to Alexander Stadium.

I did a 3 mile gentle recovery jog / walk earlier, all OK just quite sore in muscles around ribs (core ?) I think my core is an area I need to work on. Also my thighs muscles are sore just above knee on inside of leg, late on in race cramp nearly set in there but the Zero tablets seemed to keep the cramp at bay.

Shades when do you recommend I should run over the next week or so after the marathon in terms of recovery ?
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Ian - thanks for that, I've bookmarked that website.  They actually have a pair of Guide 9's in a different colour in my size but a little dearer and I will probably buy the 10's next time.   Good prices though, how much did you pay for delivery?  

That foot must be feeling a lot better if you were tempted to take them out for a run. :)

Jelly - I think you can only get the first 6 paces of results on RunBritain, I got them from the GreatRun website, crap website and crap results system.  I called up the first page then clicked on the time so it then reversed.   Why do you need to know total number of runners, that's meaningless and not a reflection of performance? 

John - just checking to see who drove home, but I expected your wife to drive anyway as it was her car :)    That's a bit shambolic the marshals not knowing where your transport was, but that's the sort of thing that should be sorted out for next year's race.

Well done on your recovery run, you will have sore muscles for a few days.   Tired core muscles is to be expected too as you are running and holding your upper body in the same position for a long time,   I don't get that anymore thanks to my Pilates.

For the next few days just short easy runs when you feel like it, easing yourself back into training.

Rest day for me today, my legs feel good, no DOMS and barely a twinge in my hip flexor.  After my run I had quite a lazy day yesterday but I stopped myself from sitting down for long periods and even managed to do some gentle hip flexor stretches by the end of the day.   

• JellyJelly ✭✭✭
    I was mainly bored on coach and just  curious.  Didn't get out last night, girls had got tea ready for when we got home and I was shattered after 5 hours on coach. Off out for gentle run this morning. 
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Jelly - that must have been a long tiring journey home, are you off work today too?   

This is the last page of the results, generous time limit for the race which will encourage more next year, especially those wanting to raise money for charity

Birmingham International Marathon 2017

Search Result

NameBIBClubPosFinish TimeGun/Chip
    David Preston3834 520408:20:11Chip Time
    victoria bunnett4029 520308:18:19Chip Time
    Benjamin Dickson6259 520208:17:01Chip Time
    Hanya Crooks4341 520108:14:00Chip Time
    Paul Duesbury6524 520008:04:03Chip Time
    Heloise Anfield3314 519908:03:49Chip Time
    Jonathan Garratt1992 519807:54:31Chip Time
    Daniel Evans1993 519707:54:30Chip Time
    ROBERT CLARKE5232 519607:47:18Chip Time
    Kim Penlington8074 519507:47:03Chip Time

• SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Jelly - at least with DMV you can be home and in your own bath before the sweat has dried :)
  • JellyJelly ✭✭✭
    Thought had cross my mind, luckily the DMV route doesn't go past my house, very close.
    looking at those numbers someone was  exaggerating  entries. It was hard to tell at start with two start waves. Did see the reds go off. Just done recovery run my normal 5k ish loop around Kingsteignton, legs felt ok. Got today off so walking into town for a coffee with a friend so will keep moving. thank you for everyone's support. 
  • NickW2NickW2 ✭✭✭
    Could the numbers have been for the half as well? Sometimes marathons inflate their numbers by reporting the number who did all the races instead of just the marathon.
  • JellyJelly ✭✭✭
    I read 9'000 plus chaity for Marathon and 15'000 for half 
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    jelly - you're recovering well :)   

When you're running DMV and going up that hill at Chudleigh, especially the 2nd time around, think 'this is good DD training', the rest of the course is fast.

Re entries to Birmingham, I think there were 9 or 10 thousand places, DNS can be as high as 25% so I guess they had about 7,000 entries.  That's good for a first year. 

I see next year that Nottingham have dropped their marathon so that will be a few more for Birmingham.   Nottingham was a good race but always competing date wise with a lot of other races so I think their marathon suffered because of that.

• SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Nick - yes a lot of races do that, add in the fun runs for the children too and of course by the time the press get hold of that they've said xxxx marathon runners.   I can't get the rubbish results section to do the same as I did with the marathon, so no idea how many runners in the half, but it's the 2nd biggest half in the UK.