Shades Marathon Training

Comments

• JellyJelly ✭✭✭
    Forgot what high heels are. 
  • I hardly ever wear heels these days, hence the suffering when I do!
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Keith, I am thinking of doing Saturday too, followed by Winter Gloucester on the Sunday.  I haven't entered either yet though as I don't want to enter any doubles until I've got the first attempt out of the way!
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - I agree, I think he needs a coach next.   Or maybe go to Loughborough to do his studies, great coaching and training facilities there.  I hope he gets some sponsorship, as he said he spends £1,000 a year just for shoes, and if he's not working I guess it's his parents that are having to fork out for him. 

I see he's doing DMV, so I guess that will be his first marathon?

Planning another double?  Or are you planning quite a few doubles/multiples next year? ;)

SK - hope your shoes are OK size wise.   Mine look huge, but I think when you unpack a new pair of running shoes they do look massive.   I find the 7 in the Guides a smallish 7 and although they fit I feel I could just do with a bit extra space, hence going half a size up this time.

The nice girl at Sportsshoes phoned me yesterday morning to check I'd received my shoes OK, that was good customer service 

As a distance runner I think it's natural to avoid any explosive types of moves as to us we think that could cause injury, just ignore him and do your best without hurting yourself.

Keith - you must have been poorly if you didn't feel like eating, good to know that eye infection has cleared up now.

So your mother hasn't moved up north yet then?  I might get a late entry if the forecast isn't too cold, don't like winter races.

Rest day for me today

• Shades - No still not moved up here yet.... Even brother and family have moved up here so you would think mother would move quicker now to be nearer them.
  • LoueyLouey ✭✭✭
    Hello to all my new Strava friends  :) 

SK - I wear high heels at work (although trainers on the commute) so I am quite used to it, but I can imagine if you aren't it might really feel it the next day.

BigG - Yes I have run Abingdon before.  It's quite a compact venue, there is a small building at the stadium where most people congregate so I may well see you. It isn't a big race. Assuming I make it to the start line, I will have my purple patch vest on (which hopefully will have my name on it, picking it up today).

Shades - I honestly don't remember the turkeys from last time!

3 miles done in dark, wet and blustery conditions. I had no pace at all and I wondered if it was just because it was very early (for me) to be out. But when I got home I realised it was more than that - I think I may have picked up a tummy bug as I don't feel right. Bloody awful timing. I am going to have to play it by ear I think. I had promised my son I would take him swimming today (he's already on half term) but that's not happening. I really could just do with sleeping but that isn't going to happen either. 

Supposed to be going to parkrun tomorrow (a friend's 100th) so will see how I feel. We had already discussed my husband running with with my son and I would spectate. The only flaw in this plan is that the weather forecast is not great and he is very much a fairweather runner! 

• SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Louey - oh no, hopefully that's not a bug you've picked up, as you say bad timing.   Didn't this happen to you before another of your marathons?  

You'd remember the turkeys if they were still there.   Once you turn out of the leisure centre they used to be in a field on the left hand side of the road, in the first mile or so of the race.  Maybe they've moved their grazing now.

• Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Louey-Really hope you get over the bug before the weekend.
    Decided not to run this morning as I'm meeting some friends tomorrow,1 of them started running recently and wants to go to parkrun so I said I'd go with him to show him etc so will run there tomorrow.Used to be we'd meet at 9 on a Saturday as that's when Wetherspoons opens now it's to go for a run  :D
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Louey, sorry to hear you're not feeling great.  Hopefully I'll catch up with you at the start area then.

Shades, I spoke briefly to him about DMV a few weeks ago, and at the time he said he was going to do it as a training run but I don't know if that's changed.  I know he's done a handful of 25/26-mile training runs under 3hrs, and he's commented it was an easy pace for him.  But also he acknowledges he doesn't like hills, and most of his training is done on the flat.  I'm sure I'm not speaking out of turn here as his Mum and Dad are quite open about it, but according to them his diet is crap so maybe a coach or training group can help with things like that too?  He was quite funny the other week as I asked for a pic for that week's race report as I saw one on FB, but it had his finish time across the middle of it.  I asked for the pic without the time on for the papers, but he said he didn't have one, and he jokingly blamed his sister as she put the race time on it after she took the pic - he obviously needs a new race photographer as part of any sponsorship ;) 

About doubles etc, I do have some ideas, but I don't want to get ahead of myself.  In the past I've said I'm going to do this or that, but then got injured or ill, and it hasn't happened.  But yes I do have some plans -  I do have an idea of doing a triple on the NDVM weekend in May, but that's a long way off and I'll see how I get on first.  Regarding November's double, I don't really know how to pace it at the moment, so it's a learning thing for me, and then I can maybe consider time goals for doubles afterwards.  Of course, they may not be for me as I may hate them!!  One thing I do know is that I am going to do less of Foxy's as although friendly, they do not rank high at all in my list of favourites!  I do have one of his booked in in Dec, and I have pencilled in a double of his in Jan, and I expect I may do a couple more next year as well, but since you gave me that race website and also the 100MC site has started to be updated again, I can see that there are a lot better events around.

As I sit here and type this, I can say that I feel totally recovered after Burton Bradstock, which was my third in 3 weekends.  It's really odd as Plym Trail was a total disaster, but then Munich and Burton Bradstock were very good and I enjoyed them.  Even in September, you may remember I had Barnstaple booked up but ended up deferring as it felt too close to other events, but I've just done 3 in 3 weekends, with a fourth coming up, and I feel fine.  Generally, I still can't really do as much running in the week though due to tiredness, which is annoying me, but if logistics/money/injuries allow I hope to continue doing a few more next year.  My first this year was mid-March, where as in 2018 all being well I will have done 6-8 by then.  The downside is that other race distances aren't even being thought about really, apart from that 5K race series in the summer.

Anyway, I've done a run this morning; 5-miles with 3 at MP (8:23, 8:22, 8:20).  It felt fine, so I'm looking forward to Abingdon.  I'm now not sure whether to just go for it and if I blow up, just accept I'll have to slog it out, or go a bit more conservatively and see if can scrape a couple of mins off of Munich's time.  I'll see how I feel and what the weather is doing etc, but I think going out at 9s is now too slow for me if I want a faster overall finish time, based on the last two races which were quite big negative splits.   Anyway, carb loading again and rest day tomorrow!

General question: could it be that the extra marathons I've done this year are counting as training in some way, especially with things like C2S and that hot Enigma one I did, which most certainly weren't "races".  Obviously the more I do, the more I get used to the distance and how to react if something doesn't feel right (or conversely how to react if I'm feeling good!) but it seems I'm possibly getting some training benefit as well (hence the two negative splits recently), which I wasn't really expecting.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Ian5 said:

Decided not to run this morning as I'm meeting some friends tomorrow,1 of them started running recently and wants to go to parkrun so I said I'd go with him to show him etc so will run there tomorrow.Used to be we'd meet at 9 on a Saturday as that's when Wetherspoons opens now it's to go for a run  :D
    Oh how things change in our lives :D

Big G - He's got a good chance of winning DMV depending who else is running.   I expect the lad's diet is as crap as most others of his age.   Diet is always the last aspect of training that is tackled especially by youngsters.   He does need to be a bit careful as he's running such high mileage he could put himself at risk of low iron and essential vitamins and minerals but he'll learn.  Adam Holland used to be the same, eating crap food, I don't know what his diet is like now, I would guess much improved as his running has improved too.

We all have to make plans and set goals and unfortunately as we all know it's so easy for injury to spoil things but that's just the way it is.  I don't think you can set time goals for doubles as you can feel good one day but not the next or vice versa.   So best to run day one as well as you can but not flat out and then let day two take care of itself.

I think that's the right strategy for Abingdon, it is forecast to be windy but cool.

Big_G said:

General question: could it be that the extra marathons I've done this year are counting as training in some way, especially with things like C2S and that hot Enigma one I did, which most certainly weren't "races".  Obviously the more I do, the more I get used to the distance and how to react if something doesn't feel right (or conversely how to react if I'm feeling good!) but it seems I'm possibly getting some training benefit as well (hence the two negative splits recently), which I wasn't really expecting.

Doing more marathons certainly does count as training, more miles in the bank and will make your legs stronger, although it can take the edge off your speed, but the biggest advantage will be in mental strength.  As you say getting more used to the distance, being able to deal with heat/cold/wind/rain and any other setbacks during a race but then carry on not feeling that your race is over or spoiled.   And of course the speed that you recovery from 26.2 miles even run at PB pace shows how strong you are now compared to a few months ago.

• SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - I just looked at the start list for DMV and Adam Holland is running, young Trotter would have a good run if he runs around with him.
  • JellyJelly ✭✭✭
    I'm the only lady trotter unless SI has signed up so no chance of team prize lol 
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Shades, cool conditions suit me just fine, so that's good.  I was actually shivering on the start line of Munich, but within a short while I was okay and stayed like that the rest of the race.  Head winds most definitely do not suit me though, so I'll play it by ear.  I remember a few years ago at First Chance 10K it was blowing a gale and although I knew I was in PB shape, I also knew within a mile it just wasn't going to happen that day because of the wind.  Quite soon after that I did 5K, 5M, 10M and Half PBs so knew I was in good shape.  But the head wind definitely impacts me - I know on occasion other runners benefit from running in a line behind me, using me as a windbreak ;)    
  • JellyJelly ✭✭✭
    edited October 2017
    Parkrun Cancelled. Think it's a nationwide thing. Blame Brian 
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Jelly, I think they're hoping Torbay is still going to go ahead but will decide 7:30am on Saturday.

Current list of cancellations is here:  http://www.parkrun.org.uk/cancellations/
  • LoueyLouey ✭✭✭
    Shades - I didn't feel 100% on the run up to Brighton but I was also carrying an injury then. Plus it was very hot that day. My knee seems ok at the moment. It's just my blooming tummy. Will see how I feel tomorrow.

Just looked at that list of parkruns, and ours is still on but we are not anywhere near the coast so it would have to be pretty bad to call it off I think. Lots of trees in the park though. 

It's still looking a little windy on Sunday but it won't affect the whole route as it does have some loops. Those doing GSR may struggle a bit though (Steve - are you still planning on running it?)
  • Louey - I hope your stomach feel better very soon. Drink lots of water!

No parkruns around here cancelled so hope to do one tomorrow.
  • mowzermowzer ✭✭✭
    mamafox - hope you're ok after that accident. I trust the driver will pay for a new bike.

Louey - I'm just entering events which I can walk at the moment. If my running picks up then I can also run them, although when doing recent marathon walks I keep thinking 'glad I'm not running this one' as I'm certain I would be face planting on some of the rough terrain. Bit of a loss of confidence I reckon (plus I'm enjoying the walks). I am trying to up the running (a little) during the week though.

I haven't looked at our local weather forecast yet, but I see that Gt Langdale has been cancelled and Salcombe Coastal has been shortened and re-routed away from the cliff paths.
  • NickW2NickW2 ✭✭✭
    I can't make it to parkrun tomorrow as my sister is visiting. Actually pretty busy all weekend - will try and get out for a run one evening to make 3 runs for the week. Could do with getting a decent night's sleep first though!
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2017
    Jelly - there are usually low numbers in the DMV marathon.  Several reasons I think, they are very late opening the entries and don't advertise the event, not been on RW for years or other race listings, marathon runners like to plan their races in advance. I used to run it every year until they moved the date and now it clashes with Dublin and that's no contest.  But maybe next year as I might not be going to Dublin, we'll see.

Do they really cancel parkruns nationwide?

Big G - even runners behind you in high winds only get negligible shelter, so we all suffer from running into a headwind.   No First Chance race in 2018, cancelled due to works on the route. 

Louey - I do hope you're feeling better today. 

If you still have any D & V today I would suggest you DNS, you won't recover in time and will have a terrible run.   If you have no symptoms today just make sure your weight is back to normal and you've taken some Dioralyte type product to restore your electrolytes.  

mowzer - when you do resume your running races, maybe chose one that you know has easy terrain or part of it road/easy and then you could run those bits to restore your confidence.

That's awful that Langdale is cancelled, don't know if that's happened before. :(   I'm hoping to do that one again in a year or two, wouldn't be happy to get all that way to find it cancelled.

Nick - never mind, the disturbed nights will get better soon....before she's a teenager hopefully ;)

Just booked my Pilates, half the spaces booked in the first minute!   Off for my run in a little while, windy here, time to test my new wind resistant gilet :)
  • SlowkoalaSlowkoala ✭✭✭
    edited October 2017
    Shades - there are only about 20 parkruns cancelled nationwide today due to the weather. Brian seems quite calm around here, hope all OK with everyone else.
  • Keith M StuartKeith M Stuart ✭✭✭
    edited October 2017
    Shades - Brian is doing 40+ mph winds here today let alone in the central lakes where langdale is so it may well be prudent to cancel. Might not neccesarily be bad enough for doing the actual running but you do have to factor in road blockages from trees and flooding (meant to rain a fair bit too on already wet ground) and thus getting any injured people plus even just getting there and back again could be a issue.

I know full well that merely going over the nearest bump a few miles away has somewhat greater wind speeds on the top than back down here so the climb up that stuipd large hill at the start (i assume its still a anticlockwise loop) could be er interesting ;) I should also know what the hilll is called as its in at least one of my cycling hill books too.

I was going to go for run this morning but instead i'll go late afternoon which is still 30 odd mph winds but dropping into the 20's before going back to 40's all of tomorow when we oddly dont have wind warning....
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    SK - it's fine here too, the odd gust of wind but nothing out of the ordinary.  But they are keeping an eye on the famous Dawlish sea wall but that's for trains

Keith - I can understand them having to cancel Langdale as I think there's only the one road in and out isn't there, plus the parking is probably under water too and as you say all the trees on the route.

You must find out the name of that hill, it's a killer especially 2nd time round.  How steep is it, does it say in your cycling book?

Good idea to postpone your run

• Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Shades, yeah, I saw that about First Chance 10K.  I was going to put that into the Club Championship next year as it's such a popular race with Trotters anyway.  There are quite big changes coming for next year's CC too - the proposals got signed off by the committee at the last meeting :)  I'm quite busy at the moment trying to find races to fill the CC - it's about trying to find a mixture of "old favourites" along with new races to mix it up a bit.  Also, because the CC goes for the whole calendar year, some races do not yet know the dates for their 2018 events, so it's a fair bit of firing off emails to RDs trying to get dates.  The ARC site is pretty useful as at least the ones on there are certified etc.  ET is helping me out a lot with this, and I'm seeing her next week to clash our respective lists together to come up with a proposal for Nov's committee meeting.

Rest day today, and travelling up to Abingdon hoping to arrive mid-afternoon.  I have a pub booked for a meal, and the B&B seem really friendly.  I called them up and asked if I could leave my car there in the morning of the race (it's about a 10-min walk to the start) and they said that was fine.  Also, as a few runners are staying there, I can use a shower after the race and they're putting a few nibbles on afterwards too.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - there's a fast 10k at WSM on Jan 1st which is a good replacement for First Chance.  Will be interesting to see what the changes are in the 2018 CC.

ARC put the race permits on the website as soon as they are received, I think RunBritain and TRA are a bit slower with their admin.

That sounds like a great B & B you've booked, especially being able to have a post race shower and nibbles....do they know how hungry some runners can be post marathon. ;)  

Abingdon is usually a nice easy drive, might be a bit windy on the motorway though.   I have in the past driven up to the race on the day but the last time I did that there was a gunman on the M4 and the police directed us off the motorway and through Cheltenham I think, pre sat-nav days and in the dark, not recommended pre race travel, got there on time though.

• Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Shades, I think if I stuck a race in on Jan 1st it wouldn't go down very well ;)   I was tempted to drive up to Abingdon because as you say it's not too bad a drive, but decided to book a B&B partly because when I entered the race months ago I was thinking of targeting Abingdon with a proper P&D buildup.  That's obviously gone out the window (in terms of following P&D), but I'm still hoping to do well tomorrow....weather permitting!
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - a race on New Year's Day might just show who's serious about their running ;)

One of the other times I drove to Abingdon on the day, I stopped on the M4 services to eat my breakfast and was happily munching away when the driver of the car in front of me got out of his car wearing only his underpants and he looked a bit like Mr Bean, quite put me off my breakfast.   :o

After the gunman incident I think the race start time was moved an hour earlier so decided to drive up the day before.
  • Shades - Just looked its called Blea Tarn in the book cos Blea Tarn is at the top. 800m long ave gradient 14% peak 20% which is down the bottom end. For perspective Honister from the eastern side ie from Seatoller is ave 10% but peak 25% and that one is 2.5km long.
  • E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    Morning all! Reporting in from New York (soon to be Washington DC).  It's been beautiful weather here since we arrived. Weather forecast for tomorrow looks to be hot so I'm going to use it to sightsee.  

Good luck to everyone racing tomorrow and have a great weekend! 
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Keith - I'm sure it feels steeper than that especially 2nd time around. :'(

Emmy - hope it's not too hot for you tomorrow, enjoy the race :)