Shades Marathon Training

Comments

• SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - It's a great start to his marathon career and I'm glad he won, it can be a lonely marathon and if he'd been running in 2nd or 3rd place there's not enough support on the route for anyone to update the lead runners on how far ahead the next runner is.  

I wonder if he's doing a recovery run today? ;)

Hope your legs are OK today.

Chilly this morning, but dry and no wind so winter kit on and very pleasant run. :)

• SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - when you go out for that drink to discuss pacing etc you might want to suggest that RK changes the event he's set up on FB as Richard’s 100th Dartmoor Discovery , as it's the 20th DD next year this is a little misleading. :D
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Shades, my legs feel really good. Much better than after Abingdon, even.  I've been for a 4-mile recovery run, and it went well.

Yes, RK does seem to be quite excited about DD - I'll have a word with him :)  

If you're interested, I did the race report last night, and it's here.  Another young Trotter won the Half as well, so a good day for the club.  I love the pic of the Half runner as he overtakes the 10K runner - the look on her face is saying "Errrrm, how can you go so quick?!".
    http://www.teignbridgetrotters.co.uk/news/latest-news-updates/dartmoor-vale-1884
  • Big G - 4 sub 4 hours in a month is amazing!!
    SK - That's a great parkrun PB!! You are really flying at the moment.
    Ian - A 23 min 6k!?!?! That's brilliant running.
    MF - Good news about the dog, hope the bill isn't too bad!

No running for me since GSR, but did an hour of body balance and body pump during the week. Had really bad DOMS after body pump...like really bad, worse than after my ultra!!
  • JellyJelly ✭✭✭
    That was the expression TP had when I over took him on Totnes recce when those cows were chasing us. LOL 
  • That's an amazing weekend's running, SK. Wow.
    Another great result, Big G. You seem unstoppable right now. And well done Jelly on your second age cat.
    Ian, seems you're on fire too!

Small setback for me. I wasn't planning on running on Saturday as I was volunteering at parkrun and had two yoga classes booked (lunchtime Yin and tea time Vinyasa). Just as well as I had a shocking sleep (I literally woke up every two hours. And no I didn't have coffee in the evening). Back started aching the second I started walking up to the common and proceeded to hurt the entire time I was timekeeping. Hip was sore too.
    Had the exact same sleep problem on Saturday night too and eventually gave up trying to sleep at 4 (it would have been 5 had the clocks not changed). Went to Vinyasa at 10 and struggled due to the room being too warm and humid after the previous Bikram class.
    Anyway, I was determined to have a run today, however short. Lovely blue skies etc. I warmed up thoroughly and walked up to the common (it was a bit chilly). Back started hurting as I did so. Started running anyway. I did a mile and wasn't really happy with my back or hip so I decided not to push it. Walked home.
    Seems like two steps forward, one step back at the moment. And I'm concerned as I should have been starting my marathon training (or at least, building up a mileage base) in November.
    I'm starting to consider drastic options such as going back to Bikram, which is a pretty unpleasant class but did help me heal my groin strain, and fasting to try and kick my body into healing itself. Honestly, I'd consider just about anything now.

• SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - good news on the legs as you're going to need them again soon ;)

That's a great write up for the club and the photos are good especially of the 2 winners.  You might get a few more keen youngsters joining the Trotters after such a successful race.

Steve - ouch at the DOMS after body bump, it's a tough workout.   

Cal - sorry to hear you've had a setback.  You had the same problem last time you were marshalling at parkrun so the standing around seems to aggravate it a lot.

Fasting won't make your body heal itself!   And as your immune system is slightly compromised at the moment that seems to be the complete opposite to what you should think of doing, why not eat as healthily as you can.  Stop worrying about the lack of sleep, lots of folk wake every 2 hours, it's probably not helping your sleep that you can't exercise at the moment.  If you wake at 4 or 5 a.m. then get up and just start your day as normal.

Can you get to see a physio through your GP, so it won't cost you anything?   Although you might have a bit of a wait, it might be worth it.

Don't worry about your marathon training, you don't need as long to train as you did the first or second year of your marathon training.  Even if you only start a base training period in January to the end of February you can then do a few long runs in March and you'll be fine for an April marathon

• mowzermowzer ✭✭✭
    Congratulations to our runners this weekend. Some very impressive times  :)

mamafox & Charlie - glad to see that you are both on the road to recovery :) 

Congrats to G&G - those few months will fly by  :)

Cal - sorry to hear you are still suffering  :'(

No running or walking for me either Saturday or Sunday - it was my marshalling weekend. Was at CP 2 and Finish at Blackwater Marathon (LDWA) on Saturday and at the turnaround CP at Stort 30 (Challenge Running) on Sunday. Long days out but had a really enjoyable time :) . Must say I'm overawed by the achievements of marshals at both events - a couple of LDWA 100 finishers from our local group on Saturday,  and on Sunday we had guys who had completed Centurion Autumn 100, Spartathlon and Western States  :o
  • Garmin 310xt issues- it seems finally my old and trusted Garmin watch has started to retire itself. Yesterday it took an absolute age to switch on for my run then secondly it just won't transfer over so it looks like I will need to buy a new one.
  • Shades - there is scientific research to support a 3 day fast as a reboot to the immune system. Google "autophagy". Supposed to be good for cancer and the like. Not sure that it works for injuries, though. And I like to eat.
    Steven - yeah it happens. Had to replace mine after it started dying ahead of its supposed battery life.
  • NickW2NickW2 ✭✭✭
    Big G - nice baking! And nice marathoning too! You'll be taking sub-4 for granted before long!

Cal - glad recovery is continuing (reads on)...oh, maybe I spoke too soon. Hope you find something that works :(

MF - hope your dog is ok. At least it sounds like you are recovering from your accident

SK - congrats on the PB! And on the win at RRR as well. My club mates always tell me it's a good race. By the way I noticed your Cassiobury PB is just 7 secs faster than mine - I'll have to try and beat that one day!

GG - nice new shoes I need to treat myself to some soon as well. But I'm tight haha

Jelly - well done on another marathon :)

I struggled running on Wednesday at my club run, though partly circumstantial. The trains were buggered so I had to get a train to a nearby station, then run with my bag (about 1.5 miles) to my normal station to get my bike, then cycle to the club. As I was running late (due to the trains) this ended up being about 7 min miling pace for the run (which bearing in mind I had a bag was basically flat out), then 5 mins hard cycling (ish, had to slow down for safety at some points), so that I didn't miss the club run. So it's fair to say I had good reason for struggling, also not sure if I still had some remnants of a cold. I was finding it too hard work to stick with my normal group so dropped back, and did 7 miles at about 8:10 pace on average. Though it was pretty hard work and it's meant to be an easy run haha.

Then I managed to get to parkrun for the first time in a while on Saturday, clocked a 19:59 which was pleasing although I couldn't find my barcode in time in the morning so it's not an official time (19:58.5 on my watch though and finished just behind someone who "officially" got 19:58). That's my 3rd quickest parkrun and 33 secs quicker than my last effort 3 months ago, so things are heading in the right direction.
  • Oh Nick, DFYB! Well done on the sub-20 though.
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    I hope you get to the bottom of your issues Cal, although I have to say I'm not sure fasting is the way to go.   Good luck if you try it though.

Nick, nice run there.  Annoying about the barcode though!

Shades, the marathon winner did run today.  He did 12 miles at 6:45s...not sure if that's a recovery run(!), but he's back on it again already, it seems.

Steven, bad luck on the Garmin.  Mine started acting up a while ago, so I had to get a new one too.  I went for the Garmin 230, and like it a lot.  If interested, have a Google as there are (well, were) some deals out there.

Steve, I went to a step aerobics...once.  That was enough, so I know where you're coming ;)  
  • NickW2NickW2 ✭✭✭
    Cal - I didn't forget, I spent 10 mins hunting for it! Hopefully asked if I could use my phone as a last resort but they said no.
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    SK-Brilliant racing both days over the weekend,what prize did you get on Sunday?
    Big G/Jelly-Great running from both you in DV.
    G&G-Good luck over the next few months and hope everything goes well.
    Steve-It was 23:21 for 6k but had jog recovery inbetween so not really a true test.
    Cal-Easy to say but looks like a lot of patience is going to be needed.
    Nick-Great pace in Parkrun.I need to do one soon to get sub 20 there.
    Big G-I went to step aerobics once also,got it half price as I only wanted to watch...I'll get my coat 

Hills again at the club tonight,decent effort and fast downhill with recovery on each flat bit between,was meant to be 6 but we miscounted and ended up doing 7 loops  :'(  
    I'm definitely no good at downhill,I could feel myself braking and everyone passing me,need to get the confidence to open up and let it go,one of the lads said my stride was short going down so I opened a bit then and it felt a touch easier.

• JellyJelly ✭✭✭
    edited October 2017
    Run cut short tonight at club, someone tripped on. drain and my house was closest to patch him up and gavenhome lift back to car. Ran to Club so about 3 miles easy. Will try and get out for another short one tomorrow.  Was recovery run tonight. He's fine. 
  • Nick - yeah. I've had to turn phone barcodes down as well. Sure, we could include them if we entered them manually, but that would set a precedent and then results would take an aeon to input. Perhaps one day we'll have scanners that can read phones, but until then, it won't work.
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Not sure if this works with the scanners, but...

• SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Mowzer - that must have been tiring but a good job done all that marshalling. 

steven - I'm on my 2nd 310XT which I'm very fond of, still available at a good price about £110 now I think if you're not going for a different model.

Nick - that's a mad dash to get to running club, more like a HIIT session just to get there.

You'll have to get back to parkrun this week to get that time, with your barcode this time :D   

Please don't resort to a tattoo, that looks awful :#

Big G - 12 miles is an impressive recovery run, and a bit fast, but I guess if his mileage is 120-140 mpw it's just a short run.  I expect he felt good and enjoyed getting out for a post race run.

Ian - downhill running takes quite a while to perfect and you will gradually get better as time goes on.  You have to relax, stick your elbows out a little to help with the balance and try and run smoothly, it will strengthen the legs too.

Jelly - oh no, just as well you were near your house, hope he's OK.   Hazards of running in the dark.

Just heard on the news that Mo Farah is moving back to the UK and has split from Salazar.  I was hoping he'd move back to the UK as marathon runners tend to have a low profile and better for the sport if he's closer to home.   New coach is going to be Gary Lough so Mo is on a mission to really do a great marathon time.

• Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Shades, just been reading that about Mo.  Good news.  It's quite exciting with the likes of Callum and Mo, plus a few other fast runners out there.  Do you think it's a foregone conclusion that Mo will be quicker than Callum?  I'm not 100% sure, but I suppose if Mo dedicates himself to the marathon, as appears to be about to do, then he could do very well.  Is he too old to mix it at the very top though?  We'll see :)  

Just sorting out the logistics for this double I have.  I was thinking "Oh, I'll just take two lots of running stuff, and I'll be fine", but it's even worse organising it than just a single marathon!  My car is going to be full of stuff, most of which probably won't be used :sunglasses:

My B&B seems to be another good one, but breakfast was too late so I'm not being charged for that.  My room has a small fridge though, so that's good.  I'll take food with me, and there's a Tesco just around the corner so I'm sure I won't starve :)  

No running for me today, but I'll go for a short walk most likely.

Shades, just so you're aware, the club produce a magazine every couple of months, and for the last few I've been interviewing people who have an interesting back story.  This edition, I interviewed Wurzel's sister who you ran with a bit at the DD that year, when she had to pull out at the marathon point.  She has a very interesting story, coming from cycling.  I also published the changes to the CC, so it's all out there now....races will be announced in the next edition of the mag :)  Also, there's a piece about JW, and all she achieved.  Magazine link is here.  
  • mamafoxmamafox ✭✭✭
    SK - Wow, what a result! First lady and course PB is amazing running.. you sure about not doing London next year?  :p

Jelly - Coming out with a great time after you had a walk break and were running with a headwind is a real achievement, well done you.

Big G - I would definitely target Barca as a PB attempt. Really interesting, largely flat course with loads of support (a bit too much support for me mind you!) and a great atmosphere. However, not sure how that fits in with all your other races.. can't you put back that 6hr thing to another date?

G&G - Ooooh a Spring baby, how lovely  :)

Nick - I had to go and have a lie down after reading your post!

Mowzer - Well done on the marshalling. Those other marshalls sound impressive, you move in extreme running circles!

Ian - +1 at being completely pants at running downhill.

Steve - No body pump classes around here. WHAT a shame. 

Cal - I came out in goosebumps when I read you are considering fasting now.Please don't do that. If we cannot run or eat what else is there to look forward to?!

Can always rely on you to bring me up to speed on things too. Had to give up in the end and Google DFYBC  :/

Starting to get cold here too Shades. First morning out for me with leggings and two layers. Did you go for a run this morning?

Day off yesterday and easy 15k this morning. Foot seems ok, bit tight and there is a hint of a dragging feeling up the side of my leg but manageable. Longer run planned tomorrow so will see how that goes.
    Honestly, I feel like every time I run at the moment I'm constantly going through a checklist about how I'm feeling... new niggle? Pain on dfferent side or just a passing cramp? Tendon ok? Turning into a right hypochondriac!

• mamafoxmamafox ✭✭✭
    Xpost Big G, I spent ages catching up and typing, can't seem to see link for that magazine.
    I can be a bit dim about these things though :/ 
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    MF, the link is actually on the word "here", so you have to press that word.  For some reason the forums don't show it as a link.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - I don't know if Mo will be quicker, age is not relevant, he's still youngish in marathon running, Kipchoge is only 2 years younger than Mo.  But Mo lacks concentration in road races and wastes a lot of energy faffing around looking at other runners and if Gary can get him to focus on his own race then who knows what he could do.  Callum is a superb road racer and gauges his effort well.  Having them both to compete against each other is so good for the country and marathon running as this will inspire other young runners to start putting the work in to reach their level.  Mo is still disappointed at his time in his only marathon as I think he knew he should/could have done better and I think his first goal is to knock a couple of minutes off that time.

Well at least with the car you can fling it in, not as if you have to carry it.   Remember if the weather is cool and you slow on Day 2 you might want slightly warmer kit, might just be a pair of gloves is enough extra kit for that day or a very light jacket if it's colder.

That's useful having access to a fridge and a Tesco round the corner.  Have you got a bath?  If so use it. a nice warm bath will help your legs recover a bit more quickly.

For my first ultra next year at Llanelli I've booked a room in a place that doesn't do breakfast but have use of a shared kitchen.

Thanks for the magazine link, I'll enjoy reading that.

• SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    mamafox - running does turn us into hypochondriacs, a slight clearing of the throat...is it a cold?  a twinge...another injury? :o:/

No didn't run today , rest day for me today.

Be careful with that long run, maybe postpone going so far until you are pain/twinge free.   Running long with a niggle is asking for a full blown injury

• Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Shades, yes I have a bath.  I mentioned my double to Chair and he recommended to jump in a cold bath, no longer than an hour after the first race.  Shudder!!  I think I'll go with the warm bath :)  I'll take some longer tops, gloves, and a jacket etc.  I know at that the Dorney Lake one, I cooled a lot when I was walking (due to that niggle I had that day) and it wasn't even especially cold that day.  I had a jacket at the turnaround point and put that on with some gloves, and that helped massively.  It's strange though as no matter how cold it is, I never feel the need for anything other than shorts on my legs.  I do have leggings, but I think I've worn them once or twice - I just don't get on with them and I get too hot.
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Shades-When I was looking through my splits I did notice that I sped up quite a bit on the last sprint downhill after listening to what he said,and it was about 20 secs/mile quicker than my next fastest,maybe a mix of opening up and confidence gaining.
    Big G-I didn't realise this was your double weekend,good luck with the planning.
    I'm thinking about sneaking a half in this Sunday,I'm off and might do it to see where I am up to.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Ian - it is a question of relaxing and confidence and you will get better with practise.

Will this be your first race in your new club kit? :)

Big G - stick to the warm bath, there is actually no evidence that a cold/ice bath will help at all and you would be in danger of getting chilled which when tired is not good.   A nice cup of strong tea while you soak in the bath will help too.

All of us are different when it comes to kit, I find gloves essential when I'm a bit cold.  

That's a great edition of the Trotter mag, really enjoyed that.   I didn't know any of Ruth's story, amazing and a good interview.  She always seems to me a very modest person.

Interesting to see Rog's stats too.   He did NY marathon the same year I did it, travelled separately I was with a friend also a Trotter.   The day after the marathon we were in a diner reading the New York Times going through the pages of results looking for Rog's finish time (pre internet days), we couldn't find his name and gave up.  We didn't know that he had to hobble the last 8 miles with a hernia injury and finished in a much slower time than expected which was why we couldn't find his name.

Jose is amazing, I went with her to Gosport when she set her world marathon record there, I think she knocked something like 20 minutes off the world record that day.  And the day before as we travelled to Gosport I have never seen such a tiny person eat so much preparing for the race.

• SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2017
    Big G - re the club CC that seems a lot simpler, 12 races is quite a lot whereas 8 is much more achievable and should make it a much more keenly fought competition.    Should make life easier for you too having to do all the calculations.
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Big G-Best read the mag and some incredible stories in there.Jose is a legend,those times are incredible.
    Shades-Not sure if it will be in the vest yet,waiting for it to come through but looking forward to wearing it as I remember as a kid the green and white stripes were well respected as there wasn't any other clubs around and that's were the runners from school went to.
    I noticed on the honours board last night Johnny Mellor and Andrew Baddeley both ran for the club as juniors.lots of other names on there but I noticed them straight away.