Shades Marathon Training

Comments

• Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    MF, I had similar before London this year.  I just looked back and I didn't run a step for 7 days before London, and it ended up going quite well.  Like you, I toyed with the idea of testing it in the week but came to the conclusion it wasn't worth it.  I did take a couple of paracetamols in the race and got around it more or less pain free.  I'm not sure how long it takes to lose fitness; I've read a couple of weeks, but I think as long as we don't balloon in weight too much in the time off, a couple of weeks isn't too bad, although it feels like it at the time!

SK, sorry to hear it's definitely PF.  I've no advice at all, but sorry to hear about that and hopefully it'll clear soon.  Good that you can keep running though.  I know it's not the same injury, but the only thing I'd say about it is when I kept running at the start of that achilles issue I had that time, I think that slowed down my overall recovery time....  Maybe consider avoiding any speed work?
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2017
    Big G - you did the event in good faith with confirmation from 100MC chairman that the event will count, so he will honour that.   It was subsequent events I meant about it not counting due to lack of numbers, as it's not a Challenge event but advertised as a marathon.   I'd submit at 50 with the email, if you submit at 52 you're inviting them to disallow the 2 rogue events.

Incidentally did you notice that Burton Bradstock was short?   The RO discussed it with me after the event, my Garmin recorded 26.15 and I would expect 26.4 which is what I usually get.  He will probably just move the start up the hill a bit further next year, I wasn't the only one to have a short distance so he was aware of it.

Good luck with the filming, I had to do that too when I was up for Sportswoman of the Year award, they came and filmed me running around Courtenay Park.   At the ceremony they show the film with a voiceover of your achievements, it makes the ceremony quite interesting.

Jelly - good luck with Powderham, great hill session though :)

mamafox - I had a tiny oil leak at the MOT a few months ago, they just cleaned it up with advice to get it checked which is what I've taken it in for now, possible I will need 2 new tyres...Update, the garage have just phoned while I've been typing this and tyres are OK until MOT and the leak is not really leaking but more sweating (is a that a mechanical term)? so they've cleaned it up and say it's nothing to worry about they'll check it at the MOT in Feb.   It's had a little health check and the handbrake needs adjustment, so that's all good news really. 

So the BMW your OH gave you for Xmas is now going to be your birthday present too :D  Is he having to work nights to get it ready in time?

Stop worrying about losing fitness, you're nearly at taper time anyway and you've got your half marathon race this weekend   Are you doing any hip stretches?   Need to keep those flexors nice and relaxed.    Ouch to your foot, so now you're limping from both sides :'(

BTW I'm still waiting for a photo of Morgane, when you nearly sold your soul to buy him.

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    Hi all,

Having a bit of a strange week. I'm getting out but I think im getting ill as i'm struggling with a higher resting heart rate and some sniffles.

Mamafox - Don't worry about losing fitness. Muscle memory lasts a while :)
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    edited November 2017
    Shades, I hadn't really noticed that about Burton Bradstock.  My Garmin distances are all over the place for my marathons, probably because of congestion, tunnels, etc etc, but as you say if everyone has noticed it's short, he can alter the course a bit.
    - Burton Bradstock 26.1
    - London 26.8
    - Enigma 26.0/26.1 on the same course, and I think this has been officially measured now.
    - Munich 26.4
    - Leiden 26.3
    - Plym Trall 26.0 (this is probably skewed though due to that tunnel we run through 4 times).
    - Dorney/DMV/Abingdon/Gloucester - 26.2
    - That double I did was 26.1 and 26.0 on the same course.  Out of the ones I've done though, I wouldn't be at all surprised if this was officially short, due to witnessing the shoddy admin in other areas of the event.  

Interestingly, what I would call "official" road events (London, Leiden, DMV, Abingdon, Gloucester, Munich) are all on or over distance (over due to congestion, not because the course is long), whereas the other smaller events are all under, except Dorney....  Never really noticed that before, until I just looked.
  • Big G - my Garmin tends to undermeasure for most races which is odd. I think the only race which has been over is the London Marathon.

MF - good idea not to risk running until your race. I really hope the hip is OK. Emmy is right re not losing fitness. The only thing I find is that it’s harder to get to sleep as you have too much energy, so maybe have a hot toddy the night before the race! Very generous present from your OH.

Thanks for the PF sympathy Shadies. Sorry, Shades, for initially missing your advise re taping, I didn’t read the thread properly as was wallowing in self pity! Everyone keeps saying the same that this could last for months :( It actually feels a bit better today - not sure if this is down to last night’s 8-mile run or these new sketchers shoes that I’ve been wearing all the time. They are so comfy! MF - I think when people get this bad, the advise is always not to run but mine isn’t that bad and doesn’t seem to get worse from running (I hope I don’t end up eating my words!) Big G - I’d agree the speediest way to get rid of injuries is to stop running. I never run with any pain and will stop if it feels as if running is aggravating this. Weirdly, Achilles tendinitis is the only other injury I’ve run through - if anything it felt worse when I didn’t run.
  • NickW2NickW2 ✭✭✭
    I think every race I've ever done (mostly parkruns, but some 5m/10k/HM as well) has measured short, with the exceptions of London (26.7 - congestion, and the bit in Isle of Dogs where it loses signal), Manchester (26.2, the year after they found out it had been short), and Hillingdon Half (13.2 - this was actually officially long though - there was a storm the night before and a tree was blocking the planned route).

I've found that my GPS trace has a tendency to cut corners, even though I know I certainly don't. It's a bit annoying for Strava etc as my "best" times at most distances are all slower, but it is a nice feeling when you get to the finish of a race earlier than expected :)
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Emmy - take it easy, you've probably got a bit of a virus so take care.

Big G - I think we all get to know how are respective Garmins measure up, mine always slightly over measures which is how most do, Garmin say it's usual to be 1 to 2 % up on actual, then of course there are other factors such as nature of course.   I believe London always gets a high over measure because of buildings, tunnels etc, whereas if you do a track event your Garmin will way over measure because it can't cope with a 400m track.   But if I get less than 26.35 I suspect the course is a little short, I haven't kept a note of Plym Trail, I only remember Burton because of the discussion with the RO.

SK - you're doing everything you can.   As far as I know PF needs an active recovery, foot exercises, taping insoles, comfy shoes and you can then run as much as it allows you to do.   So if it's very sore ease up. I would be careful with very speedy stuff, just be careful you don't want to undo what good you are doing.

Nick - I guess that's just what your watch does and you know what to expect distance wise from it.  I agree much nicer to get to the finish sooner than expected, I always have a little swear at having to go that little bit further than hoped.

• SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Marathon List 

13th March
    Enigma - Milton Keynes
    Big G - PB 3:54:17   

2nd April
    Manchester
    Cal - PB 4:29:29  
    Ian5 -  4:29
    Steve -  PB 3:10:15  
    NickW2 - PB 3:24:59  

9th April
    Paris
    SuzSaville82 - PB 4:26  
    Rotterdam
    Emmy 4:42
    Brighton
    Louey  - 4:24:45

23rd April
    London
    Big G - 4:00:59
    Iain Love - 2:57:49
    Slowkoala - 3:12:43
    Southampton
    Jugula - 4:21

29th April
    Plym Trail
    Big G - 4:29
    Shades - 5:01

7th May
    Great Welsh
    Shades - 4:44:12

13th May
    Marathon de Blaye 
    mamafox - 3:40 - 3rd place and she did win the wine  

14th May
    Hereford
    Shades - 4:45:59

21st May
    Worcester
    Shades - 4:53:46
    Leiden
    Big G - 3:54:25
    Emmy - 4:42:59 (including beer stops)

27th May
    Saturday Night
    Iain - 3:20:45 Winner   

28th May
    Liverpool
    Cal - 4:37:52
    Dorchester
    Shades - 4:56:16

3rd June
    Dartmoor Discovery
    Shades  - PB 6:32:17 

11th June
    Yeovil Marathon
    Shades - 5:13

15th June
    Dorney Lake 6 Hour
    Shades - 5:29:59  B 

18th June
    Enigma Clueless
    Big G - 5:09:58 B

24th June
    Giantshead
    Emmy - 5:56

24th/25th June
    Harp 24
    mowzer - 28 miles

25th June
    Boddington Marathon
    Shades - 4:59:57

2nd July
    Wirral Ultra
    Ian5 - PB 7:01 

9th July
    LDWA From Here to There
    mowzer 9:06

15th July
    Chiltern Challenge 50km
    Steve - PB 5:06 

23rd July
    Ironman Marathon
    Iain - 3:29:54

29th July
    Enigma Planes
    Big G - 4:35

6th August
    Gloucester
    Big G - 3:58:10

12th August
    SVP 100km
    Steve -  PB 12:22 

13th August
    mowzer - 7:50

Isle of Man
    Shades - 4:59:06

3rd September
    City to Sea 
    Big G - 5:28:53

14th September
    Dorney Lake 
    Big G - 4:14:12

17th September
    Lancaster
    Ian -  PB 3:34:41 

24th September
    Loch Ness
    Shades 5:06:10

1st October
    Plym Trail
    Big G - 4:44:59

8th October 
    Chester
    Ian - PB 3:31:26 

Munich
    Big G - PB 3:42:38 

Yorkshire
    Lily - PB 5:07:15 

15th October
    Birmingham
    Steve - 3:18:47
    John - PB 4:43:52 
    Jelly - PB 4:06:20 

Burton Bradstock
    Big G - 3:54:24S
    Shades - 5:15:07

22nd October
    Marine Corps Marathon
    Emmy - 5:00:09

Abingdon
    Big G - 3:48:44

29th October
    Dartmoor Vale
    Jelly - 4:11:48
    Big G - 3:57:08

3rd November
    Halloween 
    Big G - 3:55

4th November
    Halloween
    Big G - 4:05

11th November
    Phoenix Remembrance
    Iain

12th November
    Phoenix Jurassic
    Emmy
    Iain

19th November
    Cornish
    Big G
    Shades

26th November
    La Rochelle
    mamafox
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Mama/SK-Hooe you guys manage your injuries the best you can.
    I've generally found my watch measures ok,slightly long due to overtaking and not ideal line etc.but on courses like Sunday with lots of overhanging trees it can measure a bit short,I always look for Strava courses before I race to see how they generally measure before I do it so i have an idea.
    Legs feel fine now so track for me later,looking forward to it as I'm finding it quite comfortable.
  • mamafox - it's the TFL that hurts but I don't think it's the whole problem, given my back pain. I've had a grumbly TFL before and it didn't take long to get better. There's something else going on here.

I only did 2 miles today - back wasn't at all happy and I didn't want to push it. Had to take painkillers after. Can't say I'm too pleased.
    Still, that woozy giddy feeling I was experiencing in September seems to have gone, so there's that.
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Back to the track tonight.Nice 1.8 miles each way and 6x1k @10k pace gave me 7.5 miles for this evening.It felt really good tonight,seemed to stay ahead of a couple I've been behind last couple of weeks,unfortunately my watch was playing up so not sure if they had a bad night or I ran well.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Ian - do you have to rely on your own watch to measure your 1k reps?  GPS watches just can't cope with track measurements, you need to use the markings on the track.  But I'm sure you ran very well especially after your great PB this week.

Cal - that is good news that your dizzy spells are now gone, that could have been a long process to find out what caused that.   I'm sure you're right, your back and hip pain are connected as neither healing as they should.

Was expecting another frosty morning so was pleasantly surprised to find it was about +7 degrees and no wind so felt really warm compared to yesterday.   Don't know what sort of moon we have at the moment but it's not completely dark and I was able to run quite a long stretch on an unlit road quite easily. :)

• Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Shades-I ignore the distance on my watch and just use it for the time for each rep,we start at the finish line and do 2.5 laps then jog back.
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    The filming went well last night.  The camera guy took some footage of us in the Rec, and then at 4 points on the route.  I seem to be getting it in the neck, due to my "media work" (this and that Runner's World article), with people asking for my autograph and expecting to see me on Celebrity Big Brother next year.... :smiley:    The award ceremony is 1st Dec.

I'm feeling a bit tired and achey still - no injury I don't think, just aching, so I'm not sure if I'm running today.  I'll see how I feel a bit later.  A few days off won't do me any harm, although my mileage this week will be very low!
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Ian - in that case I'm sure your watch worked fine and you were a lot faster this time.  :)

Big G - glad the filming went well.   

It's time you had an easy week.

Killer Pilates class today, all work on legs today and mine were screaming at me, but I survived :'(

• Thank you for all the reassuring messages everyone, they have made me feel a lot better  :)

Cal - Have looked up TFL but I'm not sure if I've got that. Don't think it's a muscle strain as it feels to be more of a sharp pointy pain but have no idea. Stepped away from the computer when I started diagnosing myself with a stress fracture.
    And yes Shades, have Googled hip flexor stretches and am giving those a go as well.

Shades - Good news about your car.. mine is still in bits with a gaping hole where the engine should be. OH has been working on it in the evenings but he's actually taking a day off today to crack on with it. He is in an extremely bad mood  B)

Have taken the precaution of booking a train for La Rochelle. Think it's safer really.

Will get a photo of Morgane up soon. Can't find a recent one on my phone.

• NickW2NickW2 ✭✭✭
    Ian - nice track session. You seem to be really taking to them.

Cal/MF - hope your respective injuries bugger off soon

Big G - sounds like you are a natural in front of the camera haha

I made it along to my club run last night, and someone had an idea to do alternate 8 min / 7 min miles for the 8 mile route. It seemed like a nice variation and my legs were feeling good so I went with that group. 2nd fast mile (7:07) was really tough as it had some steep uphill (134 ft elev gain), and thought I would suffer after that, but actually the last 2 felt pretty good. Overall 7:22 avg pace for 8.2 miles so very pleased with that considering it wasn't a consistent pace. When I was running really well in the spring I would get around 7:15 pace for 8 miles hard effort, so it seems like I'm probably not far off that kind of shape.

• SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    mamafox - I'm sure your OH will have that BMW back on the road soon.

Dr Google is so dangerous, it's probably a major cause of heart attacks this self diagnosis ;)   If you are referring to your hip re the alleged stress fracture, I've been told that you wouldn't be able to walk on it without a lot of pain, it's a very severe injury in the hip.   Hip pain can be sharp even when it's a minor muscle strain as there are a lot of small muscles in the area and they're not the muscles that we can consciously isolate when using such as we can with calf, quads etc.   

Nick  - you're getting back into your fitness very quickly.   Wouldn't take you long to get up to marathon fitness next year.

• Out for just over 13 miles today in what was a strong wind. Decided to take in one of the steepest hills where I live at about 9 miles in it was a killer but dug in and got up it eventually so quite pleased I done it.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    steven - you seem to be training well.  When is your next race?

Rest day for me today, I have a bit of DOMS after that killer Pilates yesterday so was quite pleased not to run this morning.

Happy birthday mamafox :) :)   Is it today or tomorrow?   Is the BMW ready?

• mamafoxmamafox ✭✭✭
    edited November 2017
    Thank you Shades, yes it is today!
    As for the BMW... 

• Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Happy birthday MF.  Your husband's got the right idea, but he's upside down....

• Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Don't know why I didn't think of this before, but there are well priced, well located Airbnb places in Rotterdam, with good reviews.  Fly out Saturday, catch direct train from airport into Rotterdam (25-mins), arrive before midday, pick up race number, relax, race on Sunday, have a few beers in Rotterdam after the race, fly home Monday.  Hmmmm, very tempted.  It's still the money that's holding me back.  If I'm not careful, I'll be burning through my loose running/racing budget in the first 3 or 4 months of the year!
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    mamafox - that is a brilliant photo :)   I laughed out loud at that.    I'm sure it's nearly fixed ;)   Anyway, have a lovely day.   Maybe just as well you booked that train ticket!

Big G - Lots of folk use Airbnb successfully, although there are a lot of horror stories too.   It doesn't appeal to me, B & B is always my last choice of accommodation anyway.   One of the Mavs went to Chicago and couldn't sleep in the Airbnb so checked into a hotel so he could get some rest before the race, I suspect it must have cost him a fortune to get a hotel room at last minute.   

But we can't always have posh hotels etc so sometimes you just have to make cuts where you can.  Of course you could stay home and do Taunton marathon for £25 and a little petrol money. ;)

I'm going to Frankfurt with the Mavericks next October, T booked a 5* hotel but it's a bit too pricey for me without a cancellation option so I've found a hotel 180 metres from his a lot cheaper and with a cancellation option.  Hotels are only a 9 minute walk to the start, that's a Google 9 minutes so probably 6 minutes for a normal person.

Frankfurt is the same weekend as Dublin but I discussed with my friend that I usually go to Dublin with a couple of weeks ago about dropping Dublin as it's got so expensive.

• Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Shades, good news the Mavs have sorted out their trip.  You can start planning your other races now.  :)  

I've used AirB&B a couple of times, but only with large groups of friends.  They can work out really cheap, in comparison to hotels.  The thing I'm worried about is that I expect the people who own the flats/houses don't know the marathon is on, so haven't put their prices up.  I suppose there's a risk they can just cancel the booking at short notice if they realise, and get more money from someone else.  That would be really annoying, and costly!  I could stay out of town (Leiden is a short train journey away) and stay in a hotel there, for a reasonable price.  The Rotterdam Central train station is very close to the race start, and is easily doable with a 10am race start.  Or, as you say, just do Taunton.  I'll have a think.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - I never considered that the Airbnb host might cancel when they find out that it's marathon weekend but of course that's the risk you take.   I know I've stayed places in the past at a reasonable rate and there have been mutterings when I paid the bill and half hearted attempts to charge me more and all because they didn't know it was marathon weekend, but all my bookings and prices have been honoured when booking with booking.com.   I went on one trip with some friends and I was paying £65 a night and I found out the others were paying £120 a night at the same hotel.    I've learned my lesson now after Dublin and will always try to use a site such as booking.com for all my bookings, I use them a lot anyway.

If the trains run frequently on marathon day staying at Leiden seems a very good option.

• Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Steven-Had a look at your run and that's a beast of a hill.
    Mama-Happy birthday,hopefully Mr Fox will surprise you with the car by the end of the day.
    Shades-That sounds like a good trip,good spot on the hotel also.
    Easy 6 miles before work today,well as easy as running into a headwind for the last 2 miles can be.
  • Happy Bday Mamafox! Stay well away from dr Google! I’m sure the car will be all fixed by the end of the day, but don’t sell on your train ticket.

Big G - we’ve stayed in some lovely places using Airbnb. But we’ve always had entire cottages/houses. I know there are lots of options for renting a room or a converted garage, etc. 

Risked a track session last night. 1200m at mixed pace then 400, 200, 800, 200, 1200, 200, 800, 200, 400, 200, 400! Find the 200s the worst and HR went up to 198. My foot did feel a bit inflamed after but it’s OK to walk on today and I have tried taping it as fancied giving it a try.
  • E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    Big G- I've used air bnb a lot and only had 2 bad experiences (and neither in Rotterdam). Two of the Mavs that did Rotterdam this year had an air bnb and it was AMAZING! I can thoroughly recommend it. We're a 45 min drive from Rotterdam if that's any help to you?

Mamafox - HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!

I'm getting ready to head to the UK and i'm still nursing a potential cold so i'm going to take it easy on sunday and just see how things go. If I make marathon distance, I will but I'm not going to be silly.

Hope everyone has a great weekend!
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    SK - please be careful, if you have PF and aggravate it by doing speedwork you will only extend the time that you have PF.   PF is one of the most dreaded injuries because of the time it takes to recover from.

Emmy - hope you're feeling better by the time you get to your race on Sunday.