Shades Marathon Training

Comments

• JellyJelly ✭✭✭
    That's a good idea OTB forgot you could do that. I'm not so worried what people think of me it's more over analysis my own runs and PR which isn't alway healthy. This is why I'm doing Parkrun Tour this month so all new venues with no previous times to beat. Also get to explore. 
  • JellyJelly ✭✭✭
    I'm talking hubbie into Marshalling. 
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Thinking about it, next year I suppose he could allow paper entries for Trotters at club night and then open up online entries later that evening.  We'll see what he decides, but I know he does like Trotters to do it, as he likes it when we win the team prizes etc.  Got to get through 2018s race first!
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Shades-Cheers for the info,thinking about doing Snowdon next year to see whether I'll be up to DD in 2019,they allow transfers until quite late so no harm in entering.
    OTB-Your half seems good in comparison to your short times so hopefully a good endurance base is there.I'm a massive advocate of slower paces after seeing what it has done to my times this year.I generally did 4x slower runs and just 1 hard session a week,usually a 5-6 mile hill loop as hard as I could and that got my half from 1:45 -1:30 in 5 months and in 10 months my full went from 4:24 to 3:31,patience is the key which we can easily struggle with.
    15 miles today but a bit of a schoolboy error,since yesterday lunch I'd only eaten a bowl of soup,2 pieces of toast and porridge so realised about 8 miles in that combines with last night's fast 10 I was going to struggle,had to dig in for the last few but got it done.How some fasted run I don't know but I won't be making that mistake again.
  • Hi all!

SK - Sorry if I've zapped this but have you diagnosed PF yourself or has someone else given you a diagnosis? Regarding my hip I think (as Shades suggested) it is indirectly related to the accident - I hurt my right foot but continued to run as it wasn't really painful but I must have been overcompensating the other side which has resulted in hip pain on the left side  :(

OTB - Welcome! You definitely need to slow those training paces down.. bet you'll enjoy your longer runs more as a result  ;)

Emmy - That's a great photo of you and Iain. Like you, I'm thinking of having a break from running for a bit but for me I just want to clear up all these injuries. I've spent a year getting over tendonitis and then my accident causing another foot problem and now a hip injury.. I've had enough!

Nick - Great to see you're planning your race diary! I don't go abroad for marathons but I like looking at races a bit further away so we get a weekend away which is a bit more manageable than the cost of a week away.
    Are you on the DD list?.. family weekend in Dartmoor maybe?  :p

Cal - Injury sucks. Time just seems to take forever when you can't run and especially if you're not sure just resting and time will sort it or if you need to do a more active recovery. Did your physio prescribe strength exercises that you're not already doing? I would have thought all that yoga you do would count as strength work. Haven't you got an NHS appt with someone else coming up or was that the physio one?

Big G - You are dead right about treating La Rochelle as a relaxed marathon . I know that makes sense. The problem is that as I only manage to do two marathons a year I put pressure on myself to do my best as I know it will be at least another six months before I can have another crack at getting a good result. I am also conscious of the fact I am getting older (48 last week  :o ) and I am naturally going to start slowing down and wanted to try and get another sub 3:30 before it's too late. Anyway, I've put that goal out of my head, hip injury and a lack of training makes that impossible so plan is to start easy and plan and get round in a reasonable time and hope hip doesn't get too unbearable. That's the thing about marathons, you know you can probably wing a half if things go pear shaped but a marathon is a different beast altogether!

That sounds like a good weekend with your mates there!
    Funny.. you've gone very quiet about your paleo diet recently.. :p:p:

Shades - I had to re read your training you did before your marathon PB.. that boots all taper theory out of the picture doesn't it?  :D
    I'm guessing you've finished racing this year (bet I'm going to regret typing that!) so what goals are you going for now?

No news here. I'm not running, hip still giving me grief, better than day after race though. Doesn't hurt to cycle so that's something. Had quote back from bike shop, 1100€ to repair my bike - that's gone off to the insurance company so on prayer mat there. Other than that I'm doing my strength work (still on my unbroken streak) and reading all your posts about running  :)

• NickW2NickW2 ✭✭✭
    Ian - I followed the MyAsics plan for Manchester. I generally thought the prescribed "comfortable" paces were a bit fast, but judged it to be what I call conversational pace. i.e. a pace that feels like you can do all day while chatting.

I was pretty strict with myself to push hard on the "fast" sections and not push the pace on the "comfortable" sections. The first couple of "fast & comfortable" runs (which were 9k @ fast pace then the rest at comfortable pace) I found really tough but think they helped my endurance. Also just the 9k & 13k "fast" runs I felt really helped.
  • JellyJelly ✭✭✭
    I'm might be wrong but think the Snowdon marathon is full. My friend was asking if I wanted to do it but a lot of out lay and not sure what I will be like after DD so declined offer. 
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Jelly-Theres a trail marathon and a road one,the road one is the one I'm looking at,it's October next year and entries open December 1st
  • JellyJelly ✭✭✭
    That sound more up my street and big enough gap. Cornish or Snowdon????
  • Cal - how did the appointment go today? I hope you got some kind of diagnosis.

MF - well done for keeping up the strength exercises. Where did you find the specific ones to do? Do you have an alternative bike you can use whilst the insurance is all sorted?

MF - I self diagnosed initially but my masseur women who is also a running coach confirmed it by pressing on the inside of my arch and noting where I felt pain. TBH I’d probably listen to her over most physios. The coach at my fitness class who is a running mechanics and sports coach also reckoned it is mild PF and thought it would be OK to run with providing no pain when running and that running doesn’t make it worse.

Shades - 11 miles actually felt like quite a short ‘long run’! But agree re being careful that this doesn’t get worse. It’s a difficult one to deal with as when I did rest for 3 days I didn’t notice any difference and it actually feels better post my fitness class, probably due to all the stretching. I’m always v cautious re running with any pain, but I’d rather run through this if I can, to save my sanity (and the sanity of my family!)
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2017
    OTB - good luck tonight keeping that pace down, you might find it hard but it'll be worth it and when you get used to it you'll enjoy the longer runs more.

Big G - that would be unfair to allow Trotters to enter the race first, I'm sure with a few reminders they could enter online when entries open.   So far even when the race has filled in days there have been more than enough places offered for transfers.  As Jelly says there will be more DNS's with on line entries.

Ian - yes I believe the transfers are up to something like a week before the actual race so nothing lost.  Snowdonia or Langdale or the Cornish would all be good training for DD 

It's no fun running under fuelled, that's not much food at all :(

mamafox - only another 13 days and then you can take a break from running and recover properly from that hip injury.

You must have missed Nick expressing an interest to do DD so he's on the list.  I didn't even have to bully talk him into it.   I realise I may have my work cut out trying to persuade you and SK to go on the DD list, you would love the race I know you would, such a beautiful course.

You're too early in your marathon career to think about slowing down, I did my last PB at the age of 54 :p  and mowzer was older than that, but I'm not sure how much older.

I have my last race of the year on Sunday, Cornish marathon.  My fitness has declined, it's quite a tough course so am prepared for a season's worst but a lovely race over the roads of Bodmin Moor, I may still have a hip flexor problem too, no doubt I'll find out.

Good that your hip has eased a bit, can you walk without pain now?

At that price doesn't it make it more viable to get a new bike?

Jelly - yes, it's the road marathon I mean by Snowdonia.  It does fill quickly, very popular.  But it's a hell of a drive from here 6 to 8 hours each way depending on traffic, Cornish is one hour each way.

SK - just be careful, you may be able to run without pain but aftereffects you have when standing are probably caused by your run and 11 miles is too far.  I would suggest no further than 5 miles on alternate days, all at easy or long run pace, no speedwork, no track sessions, no parkrun.   I wouldn't expect you to notice any improvement with 3 days rest.  PF is inflammation of the tendon which has taken months to develop and will be as slow to go away, run too much and you will have it for a very long time.  Sorry :'(

• Evening shadies.
    legs are feeling much better today so much so that I can walk forwards down stairs.

shades - I gave the guy a detailed run down of my training and personal commitments so I’m sure he will push me but only as hard as I can manage.

i have entered the centenary edition of the Remembrance Day marathon 11/11/18 which  will be epic and I’m sure there will be another 2 min race pause at 11am to remember. 
    I have also already entered the outlaw relay again this year as we have unfinished business..but I’m also thinking about doing a half IM in July.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Iain - ouch you have/are suffering badly with post race DOMS.   Did you do a little recovery run on Monday?

So you'll be targeting a PB at London then :)

So half IM in 2018 and full I'm in 2019 I guess.

DD entry form completed and I'm off for my run in a few minutes so will post it then, will save me going out later.

• SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    DD entry form posted :)

Been for my run :)

Saw a beautiful kingfisher :)  amazing

• Did 5 miles on Saturday, including parkrun, but kept it nice and easy pace wise, even if HR was high. Another 5 yesterday, but HR really high for pace. Had planned 5 today but cut short at 4, HR lower but have a cough at the moment, so don't want to make it worse.

It's strange but I'm feeling really unfit at the moment.....not sure where the previous running me has gone!!
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Steve - maybe you've got a virus, with that cough and high HR it's quite likely.   That's probably why you feel unfit.  A few days rest maybe.
  • Morning Shades

1st training run of the new plan completed last night.
    Slowed my pace down to 9:09min/miles for 3miles. Felt clumsy at first but then got into a nice steady rhythm.
    Strangely my legs are aching today..
    Also made an impromptu late entry into Gosport Half Marathon this Sunday. I'll use it to mark my current fitness level pre-marathon training. I have another booked for early Feb so i'll be able to assess my early progress.

• SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    OTB - that's far too fast!  :# 

Your easy pace should be 9:30 to 10:00 min/miles and you should start at the mid to slower end of this range to start with.

Good idea to enter the half marathon and see where you are now.  I guess that will be a flat course, I did a marathon there years ago.

• Shades - no running yet but I was at work yesterday and today so that had helped.  I'll get the mud of my shoes and go out tonight but leave my watch at home to just run on feel. The plan is a full IM in 2019 but got to get my swimming fitness better. 
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Steve, I've been feeling a bit like that since my double. Yesterday's 4 miles was awful, and this morning's 5 not much better. I struggled all last week as well; just a few aches, heavy legs, can't get a rhythm, a slight head cold about me. 

This morning on the run I was seriously considering whether I should be doing Cornish Marathon this weekend.  I'll see how I am on fri/sat. 

(Shades, on my phone I accidentally 'disagreed' with one of your posts!  I've hopefully removed that - it was a misclick!). 
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Iain - the DOMS will soon go, do you only keep one pair of shoes on the go at any one time?

Plenty of time to perfect and improve your swimming. 

My friend has entered Bolton IM next year, on a sudden whim as the bike course goes past her house and she needed a goal to aim for next year.   She's training hard, the running is her weakest discipline so she's coming to Connemara with me to do the marathon there.

• SHADES said:
    OTB - that's far too fast!  :# 

Your easy pace should be 9:30 to 10:00 min/miles and you should start at the mid to slower end of this range to start with.

Good idea to enter the half marathon and see where you are now.  I guess that will be a flat course, I did a marathon there years ago.

Ha Ha I know, but its a start  ;)

Yes Gosport nice flat. Like most of the land around here, I have to travel to find some hills. 
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Marathon List 

13th March
    Enigma - Milton Keynes
    Big G - PB 3:54:17   

2nd April
    Manchester
    Cal - PB 4:29:29  
    Ian5 -  4:29
    Steve -  PB 3:10:15  
    NickW2 - PB 3:24:59  

9th April
    Paris
    SuzSaville82 - PB 4:26  
    Rotterdam
    Emmy 4:42
    Brighton
    Louey  - 4:24:45

23rd April
    London
    Big G - 4:00:59
    Iain Love - 2:57:49
    Slowkoala - 3:12:43
    Southampton
    Jugula - 4:21

29th April
    Plym Trail
    Big G - 4:29
    Shades - 5:01

7th May
    Great Welsh
    Shades - 4:44:12

13th May
    Marathon de Blaye 
    mamafox - 3:40 - 3rd place and she did win the wine  

14th May
    Hereford
    Shades - 4:45:59

21st May
    Worcester
    Shades - 4:53:46
    Leiden
    Big G - 3:54:25
    Emmy - 4:42:59 (including beer stops)

27th May
    Saturday Night
    Iain - 3:20:45 Winner   

28th May
    Liverpool
    Cal - 4:37:52
    Dorchester
    Shades - 4:56:16

3rd June
    Dartmoor Discovery
    Shades  - PB 6:32:17 

11th June
    Yeovil Marathon
    Shades - 5:13

15th June
    Dorney Lake 6 Hour
    Shades - 5:29:59  B 

18th June
    Enigma Clueless
    Big G - 5:09:58 B

24th June
    Giantshead
    Emmy - 5:56

24th/25th June
    Harp 24
    mowzer - 28 miles

25th June
    Boddington Marathon
    Shades - 4:59:57

2nd July
    Wirral Ultra
    Ian5 - PB 7:01 

9th July
    LDWA From Here to There
    mowzer 9:06

15th July
    Chiltern Challenge 50km
    Steve - PB 5:06 

23rd July
    Ironman Marathon
    Iain - 3:29:54

29th July
    Enigma Planes
    Big G - 4:35

6th August
    Gloucester
    Big G - 3:58:10

12th August
    SVP 100km
    Steve -  PB 12:22 

13th August
    mowzer - 7:50

Isle of Man
    Shades - 4:59:06

3rd September
    City to Sea 
    Big G - 5:28:53

14th September
    Dorney Lake 
    Big G - 4:14:12

17th September
    Lancaster
    Ian -  PB 3:34:41 

24th September
    Loch Ness
    Shades 5:06:10

1st October
    Plym Trail
    Big G - 4:44:59

8th October 
    Chester
    Ian - PB 3:31:26 

Munich
    Big G - PB 3:42:38 

Yorkshire
    Lily - PB 5:07:15 

15th October
    Birmingham
    Steve - 3:18:47
    John - PB 4:43:52 
    Jelly - PB 4:06:20 

Burton Bradstock
    Big G - 3:54:24S
    Shades - 5:15:07

22nd October
    Marine Corps Marathon
    Emmy - 5:00:09

Abingdon
    Big G - 3:48:44

29th October
    Dartmoor Vale
    Jelly - 4:11:48
    Big G - 3:57:08

3rd November
    Halloween 
    Big G - 3:55

4th November
    Halloween
    Big G - 4:05

11th November
    Phoenix Remembrance
    Iain - 3:10:41 Winner   

12th November
    Phoenix Jurassic
    Iain - 29.7 miles 4:34

19th November
    Cornish
    Big G
    Shades

26th November
    La Rochelle
    mamafox
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    OTB - you need some hills to slow you down then ;)

I remember when I did Gosport marathon the very long (miles) stretch along the seafront towards the finish, I guess it could be windy there, which can make it harder than a few hills.

• Shades - I generally only use one pair for training and racing but have been thinking about getting a pair for each. Recently switched to Brooks ghost 10's from asics and I absolutely love them. 
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Iain - the Ghost 10 get rave reviews, on my 'to buy' list.

If you do another double I would strongly suggest a different pair of shoes for Day 2.  And apparently shoes last longer if they have a couple of days off in between runs, gives the cushioning a chance to recover.

• Hate having a cold, had it about 4 days now just when I was getting into decent running going to go out and do some sort of run tomorrow.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    steven - hope you're over the worst of the cold and get out for a run today.

Another nice morning here, short easy run.   Last race of the year for me on Sunday, am then looking forward to starting my winter's training.  It's months since I've done any decent training.

• JellyJelly ✭✭✭
    edited November 2017
    I'm in the DD, lots of banter on Facebook and at club. I also got a Giants Head place. I'm very excited. I did core and more last night, Ran 2 x timed 800m plus other strength exercises. I've gone secret on Strava and not going to log on until Christmas ? gadget detox, not sure how long I will last ?.  Glad we did time trials  as I have a start record  to see any improvement over new few months doing shorter runs and Parkrun. I've got physio Friday now, no pain/Niggles last night but still thinks it tight. No run for me until Parkrun Saturday. 
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Steve/Big G-You've both had a very busy year,could simply be a time for your body to recover.
    Left work too late last night to go to the club so did 6 miles this morning before work,legs feel fine so I'm happy about that after Tuesday's effort.